The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on January 17, 2007, 02:39:08 am
-
That is a bullshit title!
This Article is Cool, and I got it from Ze Frank. (http://www.sciammind.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=0007B7A0-49D6-128A-89D683414B7F0000)
-
That's funny, because I learned in my ethics class that one of the three main survival traits of a species is to not lie. I forget why though. Probably some stupid reason.
Also, this article is clearly an april fools joke. The real trick is that it was not posted on april first so you wouldn't realize it right away.
-
I really like the story about the baby ape tricking its mom.
-
When dealing with humans, if you don't want something (or you want unsomething), often you're presented with the choices to lie or to be an asshole to someone. Most people's egos choose to lie since it's more likely to preserve a symbiotic relationship with whoever it is you're dicking over.
-
*****_god, i still totally love your avatar.
-
That's funny, because I learned in my ethics class that one of the three main survival traits of a species is to not lie. I forget why though. Probably some stupid reason.
If lying didnt exist someone would invent it and get amazingly rich (translation: have lots of children and propagate their lying abilities to the next generation).
-
The conscious/unconscious stuff seems to me to miss the point of how the brain works. The 'conscious mind' is a subjective construct that we experience from the inside (that's a bit tautological, but I wanted to emphasize the extreme subjectiveness of it -it's our conscious mind which is 'witnessing' our consciousness). It's silly to look at neurons firing and say 'those neurons are unconscious thought'. Thought is an abstraction way above the firing of neurons, and our own perception of our own thoughts, which is presumably what we mean by consciousness, is above that by another order of magnitude.
Of course I could be talking pish. I'm taking issue with what I think is a misunderstanding on the part of the non-scientist author of the piece. I think. um...
Cartoons about cats. I like them. And otters.