The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: dejavroom on January 18, 2007, 02:57:31 pm

Title: Translating Achewood...
Post by: dejavroom on January 18, 2007, 02:57:31 pm
...Can be a bitch sometimes, given the characters' distinct speech styles. A brazilian friend to whom I showed some strips asked me what "Hell of such as meow" means (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12202004 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12202004)) , and I was lost. Is there any actual meaning to that phrase, i.e. can it be parsed in traditional English and still retain the same meaning - if it has any semantical weight whatsoever to begin with, of which I'm not entirely sure - ?
Title: Re: Translating Achewood...
Post by: wombat on January 18, 2007, 03:08:24 pm
Wow. Yeah, it doesn't exactly mean anything, as such. Stuff like that, it is like translating poetry. You'd have to decide how Roast Beef talks in Portuguese, in general, and then go with whatever odd phrases give you the same mood as the original. 

On the bright side, this is why bilingual people will never be replaced by *****s.
Title: Re: Translating Achewood...
Post by: smick on January 18, 2007, 03:27:06 pm
Translated roughly, "I'd be making a huge roaring noise, but I'm just not into it.  Here is a cursory effort."
Title: Re: Translating Achewood...
Post by: dejavroom on January 18, 2007, 04:16:41 pm
Yes, I was thinking along the lines of Beef's answer being either refusal or compliance to Ray's roaring, but couldn't decide which side it was. And, Wombat, yes, it's damn near impossible to get that right in another language - even if the meaning gets clarified, it's such a broad stroke, so removed from the actual laying of the phrase, that a broad interpretation would make it lose all the punch. Anyways, thankyou guys.