The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Fooker on January 25, 2007, 07:00:09 am

Title: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: Fooker on January 25, 2007, 07:00:09 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01252007

I want to see little post-it mockups.

Runner up title: DON'T EAT MEEEEE!
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2007, 07:03:13 am
fuck, you beat me by seconds.

Also: wow, what a concept(ion).

(Would it be a good Name for a Radio Show or a Band to name it The Immaculate Concept? I feel like I can use that name for something clever, but it sounds like a Metal band who would mention jesus a lot. The answer is No, that would be a bad name.)
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: V-Adore on January 25, 2007, 07:08:15 am
As loathe as I am to request Achewood fanart, I very much want to see Quail Jesus.

If only Onstad was still taking commissions...
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: melack on January 25, 2007, 08:35:24 am
Just when the dudes go and settle things with Nice Pete after dissing his music, they have to go and ape his Bible fanfic. If I might borrow a phrase from Lincoln, these guys are cruisin' for a bruisin'.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: iron_felix on January 25, 2007, 09:25:22 am
I only have a basic cable package, but a friend of mine gets a channel called G4 that is basically ESPN for video games.  It even has one of those ticker things with news updates running along the bottom of the screen.  According to my friend, earlier in the week a news item about a virgin chimp getting knocked up actually appeared on said ticker.  I like the idea of an immaculate conception, and especially the implication that immaculate conceptions happen whenever a species evolves enough to develop religion.  The G4 newsfeed went a more obvious route, ending with something along the lines of "zookeeper's whereabouts unknown."

I'm a bit disappointed to have this as my birthday strip, though.  I guess I should just be grateful that I even got one, but it's hard to compare this to the gems I've gotten in previous years:

2006 - Ray first learns about the G.O.F. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01252006)
2005 - Nice Pete's Bible fanfiction (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01252005)
2002 - ...a personal birthday message from Téodor? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01252002)

Well, maybe that's not what it really is, but you can't blame me for thinking of it that way, can you?
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: stringph on January 25, 2007, 11:26:36 am

Oh, man. Ray has serious fingers in that one panel. The fingers bear the main expressive weight of the graphic depiction.

Since when has Ray had such fingers.

Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2007, 04:08:50 pm
I'm fond of the concept that ones ideas are proportional in size to one's body.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: wombat on January 25, 2007, 04:43:51 pm
I'm not.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: jaydub on January 25, 2007, 05:35:00 pm
Seconded, Ms Wombat
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 25, 2007, 05:39:23 pm
Quote from: CortJstr
I'm fond of the concept that ones ideas are proportional in size to one's body.

Aw, man. My ideas must be awesome.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2007, 05:43:04 pm
I'm not.

OK, maybe they're big ideas but expressed in a tiny way.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: coldfrog on January 25, 2007, 07:14:27 pm
I'm fond of the concept that ones ideas are proportional in size to one's body.
No wonder Quail Jesus gets such disrespect.  I heard he was crucified on a cross made of the dead branches from Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, and when his spirit escaped the body, there was just this sort of breeze that sounded like a guy saying "I'm too chewy"
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: linnea on January 25, 2007, 07:36:35 pm
Quail Jesus, an icon to gather the vegan masses.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2007, 07:42:36 pm
Quail Jesus, an icon to gather the vegan masses.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the NRA I shall not fear.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefox on January 25, 2007, 09:11:49 pm
As loathe as I am to request Achewood fanart, I very much want to see Quail Jesus.

If only Onstad was still taking commissions...

I'm not Onstad. Heck, I'm not even particularly good at art. But this was too fun to not attempt.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/rhag27/quailjesus.jpg)
Apologies for poor quality b/c my scanner's broken, so I had to take a picture of the drawing w/a camera.

I based the quail's little hand motion on the pseudo-peace sign that Jesus does. See, looky:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/rhag27/jesus.jpg)
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: AugustWest on January 25, 2007, 09:48:14 pm
Drink ye from the tiny can I have given unto you!
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: Drygioni on January 25, 2007, 10:23:45 pm
And lo, did the Canine of Tiny Dimensions allow us the liquid essence of the Holy Quail. And it was good.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: linnea on January 26, 2007, 12:01:16 am
I'm not Onstad. Heck, I'm not even particularly good at art. But this was too fun to not attempt.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/rhag27/quailjesus.jpg)
Apologies for poor quality b/c my scanner's broken, so I had to take a picture of the drawing w/a camera.

I based the quail's little hand motion on the pseudo-peace sign that Jesus does. See, looky:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/rhag27/jesus.jpg)

You get a Tiny Can of Dr. Pepper for making an awesome drawing. I love it!
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: coldfrog on January 26, 2007, 03:54:26 am
Yeah, definitely worth a can.  I was going to try and photoshop a picture of a quail with a beard, but I guess I give up now.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: V-Adore on January 26, 2007, 04:09:20 am
Righteously can'd, I say. That is the finest Quail Jesus of which I can conceive.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: Fooker on January 26, 2007, 05:30:14 am
That is amazing. I have found religion. I just canceled the walmart suit and went out and bought an incubator.

I take perverse pleasure in clicking 'take away', knowing that it'll just add to your count anyway. Thanks, Jough.

Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 26, 2007, 06:08:43 am
I'm now stuck with the picture of Quail Jesus checking receipts at a Wal-Mart floating in my mind.

As if putting up with unruly customers are the Quail Jesus's cross... as It is too cute to be nailed to a cross. Stations of the Cross and so on. In the third stained glass image, It has to stop a kid from stealing a soda but it turns out he has a receipt for it from the Big Lots next door. In the sixth, Quail Jesus's legs start to hurt but the girl who runs the snack bar brings over a barstool for It to sit on.

Basically, a much tamer, much cuter Passion of the Bird Christ.

(In high school, the guy who was the long-time crush of... my long-term crush... he made a female Jesus on the cross with exposed boobs as his final project in Ceramics. We all thought he was so cool and deep. He is now the lifeguard in a Y in Vermont. The girl is now working retail in San Francisco. I am living off Ramen Noodles in the San Fernando Valley. The universe is broken.)
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: theinevitable on January 26, 2007, 06:26:08 am
Like this? (http://www.youdamnkid.com/d/19990301.html)
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 26, 2007, 06:36:36 am
Kinda.

But... it didn't have the stab wound from The Spear of Destiny ruining the sacrehotness.

We were 16, it was 1995.

The internet hadn't yet trained us to always include an extra layer of cynical darkness on top of any fun joke, so that we could use the "irony defense" if people didn't think it was funny. The internet seems to have invented or, at least, popularized slipping in an extra layer of meanness so we could say we were kidding about kidding upon a whiff of failure.

It was all "Jesus + Sweet Titties = Awesome". These were different times.

There was a Clinton in the White House. A new GNR album was coming at any moment.

Love... was in the air.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: theinevitable on January 26, 2007, 07:04:11 am
damn, man. I am waiting for irony to collapse in on itself.

I am not sure how that will happen.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: MattFish on January 26, 2007, 07:24:56 am
Sorry for the low res, it's just what I usually draw at. Somebody plz color this little guy

(http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/quailjesus.png) also (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/quailjesus2.png) for LJ and avatars

here (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/quailjesus.psd) is the psd file

Anybody notice that quails have really short tails
they're kind of like pears with wings and mouths
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: linnea on January 26, 2007, 07:46:10 am
Sorry for the low res, it's just what I usually draw at. Somebody plz color this little guy

(http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/quailjesus.png) also (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/quailjesus2.png) for LJ and avatars

here (http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/quailjesus.psd) is the psd file

Anybody notice that quails have really short tails
they're kind of like pears with wings and mouths

Awesome! Can'd. If I knew how to find my ass with both hands in Photoshop, I would totally color it. I might print it out at the library and color it in by hand.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: MattFish on January 26, 2007, 07:57:30 am
I might print it out at the library and color it in by hand.

Thx just remember to size it up because it's gonna be the size of a postage stamp
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: wombat on January 26, 2007, 12:53:41 pm
Anybody notice that quails have really short tails
they're kind of like pears with wings and mouths

Yes.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: dejavroom on January 26, 2007, 02:10:46 pm
Mattgiraffe and littlefox: Yes.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: Choop on January 26, 2007, 03:24:28 pm
Hell of Wigu stylezzz
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefox on January 26, 2007, 04:47:14 pm
Yo Mattgiraffe. I see that you did a California quail instead of the Ohio bobwhite that I did. I totally should have done a Cali one, because, you know, settings. But I didn't realize there were different types according to state until after I'd drawn the Ohio one. And I confess I was way too lazy to do it again. You win though, because you are smart! And capable of Drawing Stuff!
Anyway, can'd.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: V-Adore on January 26, 2007, 04:48:33 pm
The delight just keeps on coming. I may well start using that LJ icon, too.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: MattFish on January 26, 2007, 07:04:58 pm
Oh, thank you, Thank You! I Love you All!

yes, please do, V. And littlefox, I totally ignored the setting and went for the little headbob because for me that's what it means to be a quail. Seriously...I mean, who didn't watch Doug?
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefox on January 26, 2007, 07:13:09 pm
Seriously...I mean, who didn't watch Doug?

Me ... ::hides::

Oh, and seriously, thanks for the tiny cans. I mean, I didn't even draw a quail with a tufty thing. So ... yeah! Woo!
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: jough on January 27, 2007, 03:19:09 am
I take perverse pleasure in clicking 'take away', knowing that it'll just add to your count anyway. Thanks, Jough.

No prob, bra.

I think I'm still keeping you can-neutral, no?

As some kind of punishment for past sins?
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: AugustWest on January 27, 2007, 03:39:54 am
Seriously...I mean, who didn't watch Doug?

Yeah, but Doug was QuailMan.  We're talking about the Quail Son of Man.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 27, 2007, 03:58:16 am
Quote from: AugustWest
Yeah, but Doug was QuailMan.  We're talking about the Quail Son of Man.

More like "Quail, Son of CAN'D."
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: linnea on January 27, 2007, 04:01:45 am
I think that the Quail Jesus just got you both Can-onized.

*bah-dum-bah-pssshh!*
Sorry for the terrible pun. I couldn't help myself.
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: pubdoggy on February 13, 2007, 10:17:25 am
Somebody plz color this little guy

Righty-o. As you asked so very nicely:
(http://www.pubdoggy.com/images/quail.jpg)
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: pubdoggy on February 13, 2007, 10:22:37 am
Also:

(http://www.pubdoggy.com/images/quailbible.jpg)

heh - all on a post-it
Title: Re: January 25th, 2007: THOU SHALT NOT KILL ANYBODY! ESPECIALLY NOT MEEEEE!
Post by: coldfrog on February 13, 2007, 09:13:25 pm
They found that post-it stuck on the back of a discarded half of a communion cracker in a church parking lot.  The original, which is more crumpled and has one less 'E' in 'MEEEEEE' (a point of much contention among quail theologians) can be found in the Audubon Museum for Small, Flightless birds (Colorado Branch) in a section marked "Miscellaneous Religious Artifacts".

Can'd for being the purveyor of truth.