The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on January 27, 2007, 04:13:41 am

Title: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: linnea on January 27, 2007, 04:13:41 am
So as we all know, Valentine's day is coming up... rather than be bitter about yet another breakup, I'm focusing on the positive. There's the cutest babydoll t-shirt EVAR, which has a chocolate molecule (http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/8f6f/) on it. Talk about rad.

Anyway, the other thing that I'm reminded of after Bobby's post regarding child victimization (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3394.0.html) is about V-Day (http://www.vday.org/main.html). It's designed to raise awareness about violence against women and girls until the violence STOPS. Check out the site if you've got time. You could also see a production of the pu$$y Monologues by Eve Ensler, of which I am going to be a part. I'm reading a monologue about the atrocities of systematic rape as a tactic of war, specifically what happened to women in Bosnia and Kosovo. Of course, violence occurs every day, from your hometown to Darfur.

Anyway, I just wanted to make a thread about Valentine's Day and V-Day. Are any of you going to attend productions of the pu$$y Monologues in your hometown?

Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: coldfrog on January 27, 2007, 09:24:26 am
I have attended three productions, and I can now say that it's a great idea, but what it comes down to this year is seeing the same play 4 times.  I like the theater, but there's only so many times I can listen to a dozen euphemisms for pu$$ys before I just don't care anymore.

I'll just donate some money or something.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2007, 08:21:23 am
I'm reading a monologue about the atrocities of systematic rape as a tactic of war, specifically what happened to women in Bosnia and Kosovo.

Does the theater have a suicide room?
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2007, 01:39:53 pm
Can we talk about chocolate instead?
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: side_show on January 28, 2007, 05:06:45 pm
Why notboth? (http://www.sweetrage.ca/pu$$y.html)
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2007, 05:17:10 pm
Oh, so not clicking.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: linnea on January 28, 2007, 05:52:32 pm
Does the theater have a suicide room?

It's an unbelievable piece. It's disturbing. It makes you feel so much empathy for the victim and everything that she has gone through. It makes you cringe and hate being human because of the terrible things that humans have done to each other.

Theater is supposed to make you think. This piece is incredibly disturbing. As I stated elsewhere, it took me six weeks of daily practice before I was able to read it without crying. I hope that my performance does the piece justice.

Also, smells, I love you for posting that link. <3 I hadn't seen that before!
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 28, 2007, 07:34:53 pm
The first time I heard of "The pu$$y Monologues" I assumed that it involved... a giant animatronic pu$$y, maybe latex or something I don't know, the size of a person that... delivered a monologue onstage.

I'd heard about it third-hand so I didn't understand that it was a Noble and Respectable Enterprise for the Telling of Unheard Stories... I thought it was one of those fringe-art absurdist pieces by rich college kids able to waste their parents' money on giant talking Muppet pu$$ys.

Like if Andy Warhol remade "Meet The Feebles" or something.

And... now, I fear I would attend and these ladies would be saying all of these important and deep things and... I would only be able to see the thing I originally imagined the show to be about. A six-foot tall puppet pu$$y that talked.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 29, 2007, 04:03:51 am
Just so y'all know, my support is coming in the form of being a good dedicated family man.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2007, 01:38:16 pm
Which means you buy the family a lot of chocolate, right?
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 29, 2007, 02:42:18 pm
POUNDS
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on January 30, 2007, 02:14:43 am
giant talking Muppet pu$$ys.


This forum is awesome for coming up with potential band names, as I believe has been mentioned copiously by others around the boards.

But back to the topic at hand...

I try to show my support daily by being a positive role model and figure of support to the young people I work with every day. As trite as that sounds, it has a cumulative effect and hopefully will make some impact in developing a generation of people who respect and protect one another.

Sometimes just being reminded that this stuff goes on is powerful by itself--it's good for us all to get out of our comfy bubbles and be reminded that most of us have it so good, we're in a position to do something about those who don't.

Good luck to you in your performance, linnea.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 30, 2007, 02:49:36 am
I tried to do a good deed today.  A lady pulled out of a gas station in front of me and I saw that her gas cap, which she had left on the trunk of her car rolled off into the street.  She didn't notice.  I tried very hard to catch her to tell her this.  It's not an essential part of the vehicle, but I doubt she wants to lose it if she can help it.  And you know, I was inspired by that hero from NYC that jumped on the tracks to save a boy.  I figure if he could do that, I could help a lady get her to not lose her gas cap.  My passenger side window handle is loose so it has a habit of falling into the floorboard.  I risked life and limb giraffeing around in the floorboard trying to find it while at the same time trying not to lose this lady.  I finally caught up to her and got beside her, but can't get her attention.  She's talking on the phone, which is possibly a contributing factor in why she mislaid her gas cap.  So I am waving my hands frantically at her and finally she looks over at me.  I reach over and roll down the window and motion for her to do the same.  She puts her window down about 2 inches then thinks better of the situation and stops rolling.  She gets this 'what does this freak want' look on her face.  I yell to her, "you've lost your gas cap."  She can't hear me, she ain't rolling down her window.  I yell at her again, she can't hear me, she ain't lowering her window, she ain't putting down the phone.  So I said fuck it and let her go.  I guess she'll figure it out when she gets to wherever she is going.

So anyway, I didn't rape anyone and I tried to do a good deed for someone today.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2007, 05:20:49 am
When did you become a mod, Paul? Have you always been one and I just didn't notice??
Rah for good deeds.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2007, 05:23:23 am
man, I do shit like that all the time. by which I mean, when I am in a bad mood... basically so that I can feel like more of a Poor Martyr Who is Only Nice.  it bothers me how often people do not get that I am trying to help them.

For instance, early-teens kids who were for some reason at school at like 10 PM on a friday-- they did not want to borrow my cell phone, and were quite adamant that they had a ride coming.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2007, 05:36:46 am
When did you become a mod, Paul? Have you always been one and I just didn't notice??
Rah for good deeds.

Paul has been a mod since small times.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2007, 06:15:55 am
Paul has been a mod since small times.

Man, how the hell did I NOT notice before?
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: jay-ell on January 30, 2007, 04:59:29 pm
I like to feed other people's parking meters when they are about to expire.  I get an extra kick out of the knowledge that this random act of kindness has been outlawed.  It makes me feel like Robin Hood. 

Once I stuck around long enough (I was picking Pedro up for lunch when we were in college) to see somebody come back to his car, look at the parking meter (which would have been expired for quite some time), do a double take, check his watch, call his girlfriend's attention to the parking meter, and stand there incredulously for a minute before getting in his car. 

It felt good. 

To stay somewhat on topic, however, we do not usually do much for Valentine's Day because it falls so close to my birthday.  We never miss March 14, though. 
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2007, 06:42:34 pm
Once I stuck around long enough (I was picking Pedro up for lunch when we were in college) to see somebody come back to his car, look at the parking meter (which would have been expired for quite some time), do a double take, check his watch, call his girlfriend's attention to the parking meter, and stand there incredulously for a minute before getting in his car. 

I like to pay the toll for the next car in line when I go across a bridge.  With the coming of "Fast Trak" automatic tolling to the Bay Area, this is a little act that is probably nearing extinction.  I'll have to figure out something else randomly kind to do.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 30, 2007, 08:19:47 pm
You can still do that. Just roll through the pay toll area with your fast trak and it'll catch the toll for you. Just hand the toll babe the dinero for the next person and move on.

Takes a little premeditated effort so maybe it's not quite the same.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2007, 09:03:04 pm
Sadly, back where I grew up, you could not pay for the person behind you because the NYS Thruway was one of those dealies where everyone pays different tolls, depending on what exit they got on. Some dude who got on in Buffalo would pay four more dollars than I did getting on in Syracuse, both of us getting off in Little Falls.

Of course, if you knew someone who worked at the Thruway Rest Area just outside of town, who would HAPPEN to leave the employee access gate unlocked...
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2007, 11:35:51 pm
I think the "Clam Jam" I am going to this friday has something to do with Valentine's Day/V-Day.

All I know is, a student band I admire is playing. And it has something to do with pu$$ys.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2007, 02:47:34 am
When did you become a mod, Paul? Have you always been one and I just didn't notice??

Paul has been a mod since small times.

That's right, and It's time you started kissing my ass.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: linnea on January 31, 2007, 07:15:57 am
That's right, and It's time you started kissing my ass.

I like your hat, paul.

**EDIT: w00t, 800 posts.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: side_show on January 31, 2007, 02:02:58 pm
I like to feed other people's parking meters when they are about to expire.  I get an extra kick out of the knowledge that this random act of kindness has been outlawed.  It makes me feel like Robin Hood. 

Once I stuck around long enough (I was picking Pedro up for lunch when we were in college) to see somebody come back to his car, look at the parking meter (which would have been expired for quite some time), do a double take, check his watch, call his girlfriend's attention to the parking meter, and stand there incredulously for a minute before getting in his car. 

It felt good. 

To stay somewhat on topic, however, we do not usually do much for Valentine's Day because it falls so close to my birthday.  We never miss March 14, though. 

See, in my city, parking karma is a thing of the past.  All our parking meters got replaced by these solar powered ticket machines, and you've got to put the ticket on your dash, so it's not possible to be nice to strangers.  Also, the joy of pulling up to a meter and discovering that there's still time on it no longer exists.  It makes me a little bit sad.
Title: Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 31, 2007, 03:21:23 pm
See, in my city, parking karma is a thing of the past.  All our parking meters got replaced by these solar powered ticket machines, and you've got to put the ticket on your dash, so it's not possible to be nice to strangers.  Also, the joy of pulling up to a meter and discovering that there's still time on it no longer exists.  It makes me a little bit sad.

They've been testing those around me for a year or two now. They claim it's better because the machines take plastic (I'm apparently the last person in America to carry cash) but I think you have to buy the whole two hours, which sucks if you know you'll only be 20 minutes. Plus without the actual meters sticking up to guide people while paralles parking nobody ever parks inside the lines. So now they're actually fitting fewer cars into the busiest streets.