The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on January 29, 2007, 12:04:45 am

Title: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2007, 12:04:45 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01292007)

A thread title for the ages.  No sassy traffic signs in the DC area that I know of.  California can keep them.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2007, 12:09:22 am
The one-offs lately have been great.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: robot_god on January 29, 2007, 12:11:50 am
Yeah.  Nice.

I saw signs like this in Jersey.  Man, they make me want to mow people down in spite.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2007, 12:14:57 am
yeah, stuff like this pisses me off.
but, you know, if it saves lives... good.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2007, 12:53:56 am
The Dulles Access Road used to have a series of Burma Shave-style signs warning you to only use the road for airport business. That's the closest thing I've seen and those have been gone for years.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: coldfrog on January 29, 2007, 01:08:45 am
yeah, stuff like this pisses me off.
but, you know, if it saves lives... good.

Yes, except the bonus joke is that reading the signs made Ray suspect he had crushed someone into a lifeless muck.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2007, 01:31:35 am
I have a thing that I like
where there is something that is really effective, and the best way to do something
but it pisses people off, morally.

such as that they have mathematically proven
that if they give alcoholic hobos free apartments, food, etc
it will save the city money, since they do not end up in the emergency room.

but liberals hate this, because why don't we give everyone a free apartment then
and conservatives hate this,
because hobos do not deserve free shit.

but it works, and a few cities are doing it.

I do not know why I was reminded of this.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 29, 2007, 02:09:38 am
I have a thing that I like
where there is something that is really effective, and the best way to do something
but it pisses people off, morally.

such as that they have mathematically proven
that if they give alcoholic hobos free apartments, food, etc
it will save the city money, since they do not end up in the emergency room.

but liberals hate this, because why don't we give everyone a free apartment then
and conservatives hate this,
because hobos do not deserve free shit.

but it works, and a few cities are doing it.

I do not know why I was reminded of this.

Do not write your points as free form poetry. That is a thing mainly of crap dudes.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2007, 02:18:38 am
you couldn't tell, but I was using the voice poets use when they read their own work. (http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/12/122606.html)

it makes me really glad to know that this voice exists.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 29, 2007, 02:29:05 am
85% of the reason I am not a famous poet is that I do not have a "poetry voice".

I don't have one of those DRAMATIC RISING AND FALLING AND ALMOST SINGING voices.

Bad poetry sounds awesome with one of those voices.

Great poetry sounds "eh" without one of those voices.

The other 15% is that I really only occasionally want to be a famous poet.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 29, 2007, 03:09:04 am
you couldn't tell, but I was using the voice poets use when they read their own work. (http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/12/122606.html)

it makes me really glad to know that this voice exists.

I don't watch zefrank. Referencing him is like referencing the Flying Spaghetti Monster in a religious argument.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: Alternate on January 29, 2007, 03:12:59 am
I have a thing that I like
where there is something that is really effective, and the best way to do something
but it pisses people off, morally.
...
I do not know why I was reminded of this.

What?  Yes you do.  It's because it just happened to you.  Remember, that time when you read a comic strip about gratuitous anti-speeding signs, and you said,

yeah, stuff like this pisses me off.
but, you know, if it saves lives... good.

Remember that? 
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2007, 03:22:11 am
in that it's a bullshit way to make a point? or it's just a rude way to make fun of people's beliefs? I am not sure what the connection you are making is.

I don't really know many who watch/have mentioned Ze Frank, so maybe there is some association which I am unaware of.

alternate post:

yeah, I wasn't actually referencing him in my original post... I just did that because of poor decision making. And then the concept of talking about a normal thing as if it were poetry reminded me of Ze Frank, and i mentioned him.

(did either of those address the issue?)
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: Sub_Topical on January 29, 2007, 04:00:28 am
So what? Is this the consensus that this is something other than California soccer mom communities do to safeguard their spawn?

And this is a great one-off, as said. Love them signs.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2007, 04:02:23 am
Guys, guys, guys, we're losing the real point of this strip:

Best use of clip art in a webcomic ever.

Eat that, My Filing Technique Is Unstoppable!
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: Alternate on January 29, 2007, 04:20:20 am
Clip art?  Seriously?  Oh, you mean the signs, not the car, right?  I once dated someone who believed that Cartilage Head's cool old-timey car was clip art.  I ended the relationship shortly thereafter.  I'd hate to learn that my ex was right after all. 
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2007, 04:57:07 am
I don't watch zefrank. Referencing him is like referencing the Flying Spaghetti Monster in a religious argument.


I don't know who zefrank is, but I got a better idea from your post BI.  That's worth a can. 
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 29, 2007, 05:35:46 am
Let there be stripper factories and beer volcanoes (I will totally trade this for rain made of joints) for all.

Of course the republicans will hate this because I didn't support Miller and the economy, and the democrats will hate this because, well, because they will be forced to by the republicans.  BUT WHAT WILL THE DEMOCRATS SOLUTION BE TO STOP THE BEER ERUPTIONS?!?  THE CHILDREN WILL HAVE ACCESSTO BEER AND MIGHT SEE NAKEDNESS!!!  SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

RAmen.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: coldfrog on January 29, 2007, 06:08:25 am
Guys, guys, guys, we're losing the real point of this strip:

Best use of clip art in a webcomic ever.

Eat that, My Filing Technique Is Unstoppable!

Yeah!  Up yours Dinosaur Comics!
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2007, 12:12:40 pm
See, I wasn't even thinking of Dinosaur Comics, but I think it's because I don't think of clip art as DC's central schtick; as this (http://www.qwantz.com/puppies/) has always demonstrated to me, the fact that the art is clipped is of more or less no importance compared to the artistic repetition element, whereas it's of crucial importance to this gag and that of entirely clip-art comics.

Alternately, Onstad might have hand-drawn the stuff on those signs to clearly resemble clip art, in which case the man really is a tiny god and I should probably reconsider that Mega Hugs thing.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: coldfrog on January 29, 2007, 01:00:39 pm
See, I wasn't even thinking of Dinosaur Comics, but I think it's because I don't think of clip art as DC's central schtick; as this (http://www.qwantz.com/puppies/) has always demonstrated to me, the fact that the art is clipped is of more or less no importance compared to the artistic repetition element, whereas it's of crucial importance to this gag and that of entirely clip-art comics.

Alternately, Onstad might have hand-drawn the stuff on those signs to clearly resemble clip art, in which case the man really is a tiny god and I should probably reconsider that Mega Hugs thing.
That is fair.  To DC I say, not up yours after all.
Title: Re: Jesus, people! Less drama, already! 1-29-07
Post by: dejavroom on January 29, 2007, 01:08:14 pm
Me, I'll be in the archives section for the duration of this one-off run.