The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on February 12, 2007, 06:30:19 am

Title: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: theinevitable on February 12, 2007, 06:30:19 am
So. I finally figured out how to get mp3's of my radio show. I am planning on making a podcast of it, so that my mommy and girlfriend and little brother and Grace and such can hear it without having to stay up until 3 AM. Or 2 AM, for Grace. But, she has crew every morning at like 5 AM.
What is the best way to host these? They will be mp3's of about an hour each. One is 2 hours, because I was hosting someone else's show. One will be uploaded each week. I need a very cheap/free way to get a site, plus some easy way to code a simple page-- really all I need is some kind of summary of the show, and a link to download the mp3. Is there some kind of trick that I am not thinking of that would allow me to do this easily?

I was informed by one person that I should "Just yousendit the stuff and put it up on your facebook group page." That just seems so... lame.

Also: wow, my voice is really different from how I thought. I sound kind of.. cool? But also geeky. Good radio voice, I think. I am really enjoying hearing myself speak, of course.

thing that annoys me a ton: they seem to record the MP3's entirely randomly. Including the fact that sometimes they overlap. I am going to get pissed off about trying to edit them together.
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 12, 2007, 03:53:03 pm
I host my domain with FatCow.  $99 a year, plenty of server space and bandwidth, good customer support.  Very happy.
www.fatcow.com
(n.b. if you say you were referrerd by bigfool.com I get a free month.)
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: AugustWest on February 12, 2007, 03:59:35 pm
See if El Guapo can help you.
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: theinevitable on February 12, 2007, 05:24:59 pm
I am trying to find a way that I can say that 100 dollars is too much to spend.

So I'll just say what i just said.

Quote from: theinevitable
...100 dollars is too much to spend.

Now that I realize that 4 of my friends are trying to do this too, maybe we can do some sort of shared site.
Knowing them, at least one of them knows how to make a website.

...knowing them, one of them codes the website for his web-comic. which he calls a web-story because... he is 19 and full of ideas? (http://www.emmaverse.com)
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: CortJstr on February 12, 2007, 05:41:22 pm
Jiffynet has a $20/year plan but you only get 100MB of storage space and 20GB/month bandwidth.

They also have 333MB/20GB and 500MB/20GB for $36 and $60, respectively.
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 12, 2007, 05:58:02 pm
Quote from: AugustWest
See if El Guapo can help you.

If I ever write a spy movie, this is definitely going in as a code phrase.

For what? I have no idea. But we'll get there when we get there.

As the Buddhists (or at least American hippies who claim Buddhism) say, leap and the net will appear.

...which come to think of it, would be the second code phrase.
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: slink on February 12, 2007, 09:32:25 pm
I use Siteground. $4.95/month and you get erm, 40GB space and 900GB monthly traffic (that's not a typo). I figure they just offset it seeing as how most people won't even get close to that. Anyway, I've used their support tickets and live support a couple of times and they've been incredibly helpful too, all tickets being sorted within 10 minutes.
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: wombat on February 13, 2007, 12:20:26 am
As the Buddhists (or at least American hippies who claim Buddhism) say, leap and the net will appear.


Do they? That's an interesing saying. Do they warn you that the net might have holes in it?
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: jaydub on February 13, 2007, 12:25:58 am
There are no holes.  Holes are an illusion.  But so is the net.

/mystic off
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: FlipConstantine on February 13, 2007, 12:57:54 am
There are no holes.  Holes are an illusion.  But so is the net.

/mystic off

Fortunately, the ground is too.  Everyone wins!
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: jough on February 13, 2007, 04:00:52 am
iTunes, dude.  They'll host your mp3s for free, and even get you some listeners from around the world.

Let them pay for your bandwidth and distribution.

(although if you want an honest-to-Job website, just PM me and we can work something out I'm sure)
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: theinevitable on February 13, 2007, 04:05:25 am
wow, really? I just knew that it was a big hassle to get them to list us as a radio station, so I figured it would be similar for podcasts.

awesome. i will do a test one soon.
And then, I mean, wednesday night is my first actual broadcast. i suppose I can do that one first.
Title: Re: Website hosting on the cheap/free?
Post by: Ben-San on February 13, 2007, 08:52:16 pm
Do they? That's an interesing saying. Do they warn you that the net might have holes in it?

Isn't the defining quality of a net that it is basically a lot of holes held together with string?