The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: robot_god on February 13, 2007, 06:04:25 pm
-
Mine is this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3FF3vgBVL0)
-
Terriers!
Crushing your head!
Anything with Buddy Cole.
And this one. (http://www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/one/tony.html) Especially when I had a crush on a Tony.
I didn't remember the coal shovellers at all. "Why not try a little work? Maybe it will help the blackness." Wise advice.
-
"Sausages".
Hands down. So. Good.
Sauuuuuuusages, sausages, I WANT SAUSAGES, I WANT SAUSAGES.
Best. Eraserhead Homage. Ever.
-
I really love Creative Possibilities! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeigOpcPpkA)
Or rather, I did. Now I am not digging it as much.
I like the one where the teacher is explaining that Rock Music is Dying.
I also seem to remember a few other really weird ones that I loved. But I don't remember the plots, if they had them.
I like the one where the guy takes out a hit on the hitman.
-
I frequently get "The Daves I Know" stuck in my head for no reason
-
All of the album "Shame Based Man" from Bruce is ganz excellent!
Bobby vs. Devil is one that sticks out in my mind. Also the skit that ends in Kevin having Control blow up the planet.
Also good, but largely related: All three Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet albums.
All good.
Also Also: The Taco Bell jingle from a few years back was the song "Zombie Compromise" by SMoaSP
-
All of the album "Shame Based Man" from Bruce is ganz excellent!
"Vigil" is just... genius. I never saw what all the fuss about Kurt Cobain was but...
Vigil made me understand, a little.
-
Chicken Lady at the mall.
Thrity Helens Agree.
Jesus was a lousy carpenter.
-
Oh good god, that's like asking me what my favourite album is! That and now I'm going to have to go and watch all of Kids in the Hall again* (oh, the horrors).
Oh, just about any of the ones with the cops spring to mind. And the trappers, which was the first sketch I ever saw them do has a special place in my heart. And Lonely Sarcastic Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwK-2qgBPrk).
*That said, I've been thinking that since McKinney started turning up on Studio 60, and then since I was passed Slings and Arrows to watch.
-
Thrity Helens Agree.
Yes! Thirty Helens!
-
This is way too hard... I feel like I'm missing all the wonderful, more subtle ones that don't get burned in your mind, but are excellent when you see them again, but anyway:
"Sausages" of course.
The Chicken Lady Goes Home (the Hudson's Bay jacket when the bus whizzes past her is just fantastic)
30 Helen's - Honesty "...or if he owns his own pool cue!"
"Pit of Ultimate Darkness- Hypnosis" - "Dirty, dirty liar! Evil, evil white boy!"
Also, Mr. Tisane, the Tea Factory "I'd like some tea please. Chamomile tea."
I'm not too sure if you party people know this or not, but KITH had a major impact on Canadian society. It was on basic cable - swearing, gay content and all-round subversiveness on channel two for god's sake! And at 8 pm CST. KITH is why gay marriage is legal! Fuck yeah!
-
This is way too hard... I feel like I'm missing all the wonderful, more subtle ones that don't get burned in your mind, but are excellent when you see them again, but anyway:
"Sausages" of course.
The Chicken Lady Goes Home (the Hudson's Bay jacket when the bus whizzes past her is just fantastic)
30 Helen's - Honesty "...or if he owns his own pool cue!"
"Pit of Ultimate Darkness- Hypnosis" - "Dirty, dirty liar! Evil, evil white boy!"
Also, Mr. Tisane, the Tea Factory "I'd like some tea please. Chamomile tea."
I'm not too sure if you party people know this or not, but KITH had a major impact on Canadian society. It was on basic cable - swearing, gay content and all-round subversiveness on channel two for god's sake! And at 8 pm CST. KITH is why gay marriage is legal! Fuck yeah!
Wow, do you think Canadia has room for another Somebody nice? I'd like to come up and join the party.
-
I feel like...
I feel like you'd be going down. And... to the right?
-
I'm not too sure if you party people know this or not, but KITH had a major impact on Canadian society. It was on basic cable - swearing, gay content and all-round subversiveness on channel two for god's sake! And at 8 pm CST. KITH is why gay marriage is legal! Fuck yeah!
On a more personal level, Dave Foley in a dress and a red wig is why my ideas of gender identity and attraction are broken.
"Cause...uh... something happened to me."
-
While I was never ATTRACTED to Dave Foley in drag...
I was always highly disturbed by the fact that he flat-out passed as a woman. Completely.
He completely looked like a plain-to-slightly-homely woman. If one of his characters was walking down the street, I would not say "that is a man dressed up like a woman" I would say "that is a slightly unattractive woman".
All of the other Kids were clearly always dudes in drag. Even Scott, the gayest and therefore the one you'd logically think would look most womanly in drag, always looked like a dude in drag... in that hilariously inappropriate kinda way.
But Foley, that dude just looked like a lady I wouldn't be particularly interested in.
Twas and is unnerving.
-
In re: Dave - Oh man... I've said too much.
In re: Kurt - I just went back and read the text of "Vigil".
I already knew it was awesome, but sometimes you forget just how awesome. Thanks to the multiple medias of the interconnected networks, I can link it here (http://www.kithfan.org/kith/sbm/vigil.html).
He sums it up pretty nicely. Being a 30 year old, I can tell you I was home sick that day. I lived in Eastern WA at the time. I was watching E! of all things. A few months previous they had snow-day canceled the Spokane date that I was going to go see. I didn't catch the make up date. "I'll see 'em next time they come through town". I was upset because the Breeders were off the ticket, and replaced by the Butthole Surfers.
I want to say that was February, and then was April. I still feel a little cheated.
The same way I felt cheated 2 years ago next week. February 20th is my ladyfriend's birthday. I was reading "The Great White Shark Hunt" when we met. I know they have problems. I know our society fucks up anyone who gains a little bit of notice. It's a cheap, easy, anti-climax.
-
My favourite is the "Fine Ham Abounds, Mom" sketch.
That did look like some really fuck*ng good ham.
-
I guess this is the place to ask: am I the only person in the world who actually enjoyed Brain Candy?
I'm not sure if my enjoyment of it at a tender age led to my interest in neuroscience, but I think it may be part of a long, weird causal chain.
-
I guess this is the place to ask: am I the only person in the world who actually enjoyed Brain Candy?
I'm not sure if my enjoyment of it at a tender age led to my interest in neuroscience, but I think it may be part of a long, weird causal chain.
Well, I'll be able to let you know by next week. An extremely slow torrent has been running for a few days and it should hopefully be complete by sunup.
-
But Foley, that dude just looked like a lady I wouldn't be particularly interested in.
Twas and is unnerving.
According to Foley, on a Dinner for Five, members of the crew developed crushes on their female characters, although I suspect it was mostly Foley... There's something about his posture that's still very masculine in drag, but otherwise, it's surprisingly convincing.
-
I guess this is the place to ask: am I the only person in the world who actually enjoyed Brain Candy?
I'm not sure if my enjoyment of it at a tender age led to my interest in neuroscience, but I think it may be part of a long, weird causal chain.
I liked it too, although it did not occur to me to base a career upon it.
-
Indeed Dave Foley was the prettiest.
I saw Scott Thomson on his Buddy Cole tour in a tiny comedy club. He was drunk and sweaty and puffy. It was all round unfunny, and sort of sad. He encouraged audience members to buy him drinks while he performed, and many complied. He was already drunk when he hit the stage, and it jut got progressively worse. It was just very disappointing - so bad I almost wanted to leave, but it was a tiny club and there was no way to leave without causing a scene. Apparently the night before our Mayor at the time, Glen "First Openly Gay Mayor in Canada" Murray was in the audience and Buddy/Scott totally humiliated him with a drunken kiss, but my night it was all about watching Thompson get plastered, to the point of wavering in and out of character, giving up/forgetting half way through stories/jokes, etc.
Also, I have never seen Brain Candy.
-
I was just watching a Newradio commentary* where Dave explains that during Brain Candy that basically couldn't stand each other anymore and the last thing they wanted to do was make a movie together. Also, the Halloween episode of that show with Dave in drag is pretty awesome.
*yes the commentaries suck but I keep watching them anyway. I can't help myself.
-
I was a HUGE fan of "Brain Candy". Still am.
When I was in "The Pajama Game" senior year of high school, I talked the advisor into letting me slip a reference to it into my part as the boss of the pajama factory. I got to yell "MY EMPIRE IS CRUMBLING!" It was pretty goddamn sweet. Another person snuck in Brodie's post-coital dance in the elevator from Mallrats.
I... think he didn't explain the reference the way I did.
-
Awesome.
One stage play I was in called for a puppeteer on stage to be putting on a show for the ensamble to be off on the side watching. I volunteered to make the props for that and then made a Sifl, and an Olly.
They're suprisingly easy to make from a trip to Joann Fabrics. To disguise them, I tossed a lincoln top hat and a beard on Olly. Sifl was treated to a pair of bent wire glasses.
I'll dig up pictures when I get a chance.
-
I could tell you many tales of the stage.
This one ties into the whole linguistic thing just slightly, and it's one of the most interesting roles I've played. The play was "An Experiment With An Air Pump," and my character was a brilliant Scottish hunchback maid in an English household in the 1800's who worked in the house of a scientist and his family. The scientist is tutoring Roget (as in Roget's Thesaurus) and a young scientist obsessed with physiology. Also there's a play within a play where the girls of the household forced my character, against her dignity, to play a lamb in a Christmas play. Both men fall in love with my character, Roget for my mind, the young scientist because he wants to get me naked and study my deformity. My character falls in love with the guy who's actually only interested in her deformity, then she overhears the scientist bragging to Roget about it getting to examine my deformity, so she kills herself. By hanging. So I got to wear a hunch back device under my maid costume, over which I wore a lamb costume at one point. At the act break, I had to put on a special suspension harness under both the hunch back appliance and maid costume so that I could be safely hung from a noose. I never in my life dreamed I'd play a suicidal Scottish hunchback maid romantic lead.
-
How was your accent? Better than Jimmy Doohan's, one would hope?
-
Oh my god smells that is the best story yet.
I did "The Hostage" by Brendan Behan and had to fake a cockney accent while the whole of the rest of the cast (15 people?) faked an irish brogue. Plus there was singing (but bar songs, it's not really a musical). It was so difficult not slipping from the cockney into the brogue -- and my director told me to do a Cary Grant impersonation as part of the dialogue. It got a laugh, at least.
Also: it was my only lead role. The evidence is likely obvious.
-
I was Beverly Carlton in The Man Who Came to Dinner. I was a fan of that role, as it only involved one scene. And I got to be flamboyant and such... I made people laugh a lot, which is a big plus for me. I was also Lt. Brannigan in Guys and Dolls, which involved a rather poor Irish accent.
Every other role I ever played was something judicial. The accused man in Inherit the Wind, and the (opposing) lawyer in... that other play I was in.
-
The only time I actually acted in all of my adolescent drama career, it was as one of the cast members in Spoon River Anthology. The ironic part about it is that, when I first read the poetry collection (in anticipation of the play coming up), I read the poem for Minerva Jones and thought "oh, hey, she's described as kind of ugly and shapeless; I bet I could get cast here." Fast-forward several months, and what's one of the six roles I pick up in the production? Yup. Shapeless Nerd Powers, Activate!
That was also the show that taught me about the fundamental segregation in theater productions among the high-school-age: namely, that in a play requiring four male and four female parts, you will easily get ten times as many girls auditioning as boys. In this case, exactly four boys auditioned at all, and they all obediently got called back and then cast, in a weird side tableau to the slowly narrowing mob of female auditioners. (Admittedly, I suspect that was a fluke because the art camp where this happened was also doing West Side Story, a play with approximately five hojillion male speaking roles, but still: when you are casting the guy who only showed up on a dare, something's gone wrong.)
-
That is exactly why I got a significant part in the only musical I was ever in, in my senior year.
I was a guy and, though I'm not a great singer, I at least have good pitch and...
Automatic third-largest male role.
Whereas, like, there were girls who'd been in plays since junior high to get up to a part that big.
-
In no particular order, because I'm a blithering fanboy and every skit is my favorite:
EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeRADICATOR! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b--i65Jmew)
My pen! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlRlpbnHJDk)
The polite axe murderer. Because beggars can't be choosers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__V1MK_0e8g)
Watch this sketch or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehKer0sl_Ho) will happen to you.
Ever had one of those dreams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00uEYcbF24)?
"Gavin, who's at the door?" "Strangers in matching suits. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9V4t0p4TjE)"
Apathetic robbery. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmszRk_nP0o)
Okay, I lied. My favorite is Doe, a deer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_zElFpMwiM).
I was going to mention another skit, but it slipped my mind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpy6IRkHkM).
I wasn't ever in the plays. I worked lights and sound for them, which got me out of just as much class plus I got to play with electricity.
-
Oh god... I LOVED Brain Candy. It was hilarious.
My younger sister and I used to always say "skanky/slinky HO! Get out of my cab!" like the taxi driver, whenever we saw skanky girls at our high school.
-
"Good te see ye, Jerry!"
-
Dr. Seuss' Bible and Jesus, The Bad Carpenter are my favorites.
-
Okay, I lied. My favorite is Doe, a deer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_zElFpMwiM).
Wah? You... like Doe, a deer? I never enjoyed that one. I was very confused when I saw it was on the best-of DVD. But I guess there's a contingent. A Lister contingent.
-
That was also the show that taught me about the fundamental segregation in theater productions among the high-school-age: namely, that in a play requiring four male and four female parts, you will easily get ten times as many girls auditioning as boys.
Hence constant gender-bending of roles. In my school we'd do the obvious like "12 Angry Jurors" where gender is actually irrelevent but we also had The Artful Dodger-ette and The Good (Lady) Doctor. Shakespeare is the worst though. Not a lot of parts for the ladies. I was in a production of King John that had all of 2 male actors for something like 25 male roles. That play also earned me the life-long nickname of The Bastard.
-
Funny you say that... because on my script in that high school play, I guess we got the scripts from some other high school that had done the play before? I noticed that my role had the "Mr." scratched out in pencil by its previous owner and "Miss" written over it.
Because the character was not involved in any romantic shenangians, it was one of the automatic flips at the last school where it was performed and... had I not decided to be in drama for one year (my senior year was... a joke, class difficulty-wise) it probably would have again.
I erased out the pencil marks, of course. My luck was bad enough with women, I didn't need people thinking I had secret gender or sexuality issues as well. These are the silly things you're paranoid about when you're seventeen.
-
Chicken Lady loves life!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA2aC4rIdVY)
-
Dammit, somehow I missed this and now you're all reminding me how much I apparently missed!
-
It doesn't quite fit here, what with it being an entirely different feel, but it does have Mark McKinney in a main role (he was always my favourite kid in the hall), as well as being co-written by him... but I finally started watching Slings and Arrows, and holy shit but it's good. It's nigh on flawless into the second season (and there's a third).
-
My favorite Kids in the Hall sketch is the one that is another show that is not Kids in the Hall. I never watched it back in the day because i've never had cable television. So I clicked on the links with great anticipation. I watched every link presented in this thread and I don't think I so much as cracked a smile. The last one I watched, the one Limmo linked to, The Chicken Lady was mildly amusing.
~Paul
-
Watch this one, Paul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCSDrtCK2gA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCSDrtCK2gA)
You will know it is working when everything is awesome.
-
wtf!?!?!?!?
!?
!?
?!
-
Watch this one, Paul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCSDrtCK2gA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCSDrtCK2gA)
Good lord, there's one I'd completely forgotten about!
-
Like I say, that's my favourite KITH skit. Possibly my favourite television comedy skit of all time.
That or The State's "Porcupine Racetrack".
Read into that howsoever you like.
-
That video got pulled.
-
That video got pulled.
For lack of humor. Har har!
-
For lack of humor. Har har!
What's with all the trolls today?
-
What's with all the trolls today?
I'm guessing they found a comic strip with rude cat titties and flocked here, hoping to discuss their furriness and plushiness and other such deviancies-beyond-deviance and... when they realized that we were into the strip despite the sexualization of a cat as opposed to because of it...
They were hurt and confused and decided to lash out at us the only way they knew how.
By trolling a message board. No, seriously, that's the only way they know how to lash out.
If they knew any other way to lash out, I'm thinking they would've ended up healthier and... not into furries.
Though, they'll probably use the "It was all an experiment for a psychology course!" excuse before leaving.
-
Paul's no troll.
Paul, it's okay that you don't like Kids in the Hall. It's okay.
I don't like the Who.
-
I don't like the Who.
But... I don't like the Who and I like Kids in the Hall, so surely it's not OK? No, wait, I'm doing that thing to logic aren't I?
-
My absolute favorite is the one where Gavin tells the story about the guy who not only smokes, but also taught his dog to smoke (and the dog would go door-to-door, begging for cigarettes).
The "Thirty Helens Agree" where they agree to disagree was pretty sweet, too.
Oh! And I almost forgot! "Never Put Salt in Your Eyes." So good.
-
The "Thirty Helens Agree" where they agree to disagree was pretty sweet, too.
To use the latest internet acronym...
QFT
-
I love many of the ones that have already been mentioned, so I'll mention some that haven't yet, unless they were just linked to, and everyone else just said "Oh yeah that one you linked to is awesome" without ever saying what the sketch was, because those have all been pulled off youtube, so I have no idea what they are. Anyway:
"People think I have the power because I have the monkeys, but they're wrong. I have the power, because one day, I'll let the monkeys loose."
"That's it - I'm confiscating your salt."
"You've been asleep for... TWENTY MINUTES."
"Get out of my cab, you fricking Serb."
These are all favourites of mine.
-
vacation beard
-
Did anybody else watch The Vacant Lot? It was one of those shows on Comedy Central where they only had about 8 episodes made but they played the ever-living fuck out for them for a year then they vanished totally.
To this day my friends and I will occasionally start singing "This song's gonna make a great video. It's gonna be so cool. We'll break stuff in slo-mo, throw things into a pool!"
-
Did anybody else watch The Vacant Lot? It was one of those shows on Comedy Central where they only had about 8 episodes made but they played the ever-living fuck out for them for a year then they vanished totally.
To this day my friends and I will occasionally start singing "This song's gonna make a great video. It's gonna be so cool. We'll break stuff in slo-mo, throw things into a pool!"
"What's the purpose, what's the point? We don't really knoooow...
Just light the torches, cue the pigeons, and let the midget go!"
The Eggtown sketch was great, too. ("I shun you, you are shunned! I shun you, you are shunned!") I still have all of these taped off tv somewhere, and will transfer them to DVD if I ever get around to buying one of those recorders.
-
"What's the purpose, what's the point? We don't really knoooow...
Just light the torches, cue the pigeons, and let the midget go!"
The Eggtown sketch was great, too. ("I shun you, you are shunned! I shun you, you are shunned!") I still have all of these taped off tv somewhere, and will transfer them to DVD if I ever get around to buying one of those recorders.
One of television's great moments was the sketch with the guy who gets caught in customs in trying to leave the unnamed small country. They sit the guy down at a dinner table covered with candy and say he has to eat all of it. Wrapped. Then they use him as a giant piņata for the customs official's daughter.