The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on February 22, 2007, 04:53:50 pm

Title: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 22, 2007, 04:53:50 pm
I totally don't get the "Dude and Catastrophe" shirts, hoodies, etc. Where does this come from? What is it referring to? I only started reading Achewood a couple months ago, so I'm kind of a noob, but I've read the archives! I just don't get it! Someone please explain! Thanks.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: AugustWest on February 22, 2007, 04:59:24 pm
It's from the blogs, the name of a pub that Cornelius is going to start (with funding by Ray).
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2007, 05:01:14 pm
Yes.  Here (http://corneliusbear.blogspot.com/2006_05_01_corneliusbear_archive.html) and here (http://corneliusbear.blogspot.com/2006/10/pub-name-backpedal.html).
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 22, 2007, 05:03:48 pm
Ah! Thanks.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 22, 2007, 07:59:10 pm
Yet another profile icon where the picture of a dude and the female gender symbol creates a strange dissonance for me, causing me to try and imagine the girl version of the boy profile icon as the poster.

Which is weird because, like, I don't have this problem if someone's icon is an... animal or a drawing or an abstract pictogram... but if someone posts a picture of a human as their logo, my brain fights to rectify the information they've provided about themselves with that photo.

Which is, I suppose, why I use a defunct baseball team's logo as my representation.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: CortJstr on February 22, 2007, 08:08:21 pm
Which is, I suppose, why I use a defunct baseball team's logo as my representation.

For a long time I thought that the LF in your avatar meant Left Fielder. But then I also tought that the C on a hockey jersey meant Center, not Captain.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 23, 2007, 12:35:50 am
Ha, I just put Fred Durst there because I thought it was funny. Can we make any avatar we want out of Achewood strips?
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: jaydub on February 23, 2007, 12:50:34 am
Avatars are limited only by your imagination.  Some graphics-fu may be necessary however.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: theinevitable on February 23, 2007, 12:53:01 am
good lord, I was about to post that exact same phrase. Re: imagination.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on February 23, 2007, 03:38:07 am
Seriously if you think I look like a blond viking you will all be disappointed fellows. I think I've been over this.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Drastic Action on February 23, 2007, 03:59:37 am
I also do not quite have the same fashion sense of Our Hero, Nightshade.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: iron_felix on February 23, 2007, 06:45:55 am
I would like to make it clear, however, that whilst I am not actually Felix the Cat, I am a paperweight.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: V-Adore on February 23, 2007, 09:42:54 am
I don't know why I'm still a robber-baron googly-eye phage, but I've just never picked a good time to stop, that's all.

Maybe I should memorialize my leave of absence from graduate school by becoming V-Adore, The Saddest Purkinje Cell.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: AugustWest on February 23, 2007, 04:02:18 pm
I am, in fact, a fried egg.  However, I am over hard rather than sunny side up.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Enkidu on February 23, 2007, 05:50:14 pm
I prefer the avatars that have a face.  Even if they're painted on a board.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 23, 2007, 06:04:07 pm
Quote from: AugustWest
I am, in fact, a fried egg.  However, I am over hard rather than sunny side up.

You see, you're one of the exceptions to this rule.

Because no one can look anything like a fried egg* so I imagine you as your profile blurb:

Bulbous, also tapered.

*...unless you count that Sarah Jessica Parker looks like ET with two fried eggs on his chest.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2007, 06:18:24 pm
I don't know why I'm still a robber-baron googly-eye phage, but I've just never picked a good time to stop, that's all.

Maybe I should memorialize my leave of absence from graduate school by becoming V-Adore, The Saddest Purkinje Cell.

What's this about a leave of absence? There must be a story here, did I miss something?

Also can I just say that I hate when people change their avatars.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: V-Adore on February 23, 2007, 11:22:33 pm
What's this about a leave of absence? There must be a story here, did I miss something?

The story is basically "I got extremely depressed, did extremely poorly at grad school as a result, asked for a leave of absence, got it." Unfortunately, I am now realizing that being in Louisiana living with your parents has not yet proven itself to be an environment more conducive to mental health, although I should probably give it more than two days.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 23, 2007, 11:35:22 pm
Yikes, Vee.

While I am not in your exact situation, I know the words of which you speak.

I am not in that store but we will say I am definitely in the same strip mall.

Just remember that you are an awesome person and that things will probably not stay bad for awesome people.

And, moreover, if things stay bad, it's probably because God is an asshole who fucks with awesome people because God is afraid of competition and the jealous nature of Mesapotamian Volcano Deities is not your fault.

You. Are an awesome person.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: oball on February 24, 2007, 12:08:57 am
Sadly my avatar is not reflective of my life at all right now.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: MattFish on February 24, 2007, 01:44:14 am
I drew mine. It's a quail with a beard
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: CortJstr on February 24, 2007, 02:15:33 am
I drew mine. It's a quail with a beard

Yet your signature and personal text still refer to the old image.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: nDed on February 25, 2007, 10:48:53 pm
My avatar is lovingly handcrafted as well. It is a giant landshark, despite that fact that I am not a giant landshark.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: linnea on February 25, 2007, 11:45:48 pm
V, please take extra good care of yourself. I got hella depressed and had to drop out of grad school.  It happened at a very stressful time - I had just gotten engaged to the Crap Dude, I had a nervous breakdown and got put on a ridiculous amount of meds, he got deployed to Iraq, I dropped out of grad school and moved in with my folks.  I still regret dropping out of graduate school. You guys know the rest of the story...I got better, got a job, he came home from Iraq a year later and broke up with me via telephone while I was at work one day. I got laid off two days after that. Then I moved to Alaska and got involved in Fire/EMS. It's really weird how the cards fall into place. I still really want to go back to grad school.

Anyway, my avatar is a kittyloaf that blinks and meows silently. You can imagine it blinking and saying stuff of your own invention if you like.

Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: wombat on February 26, 2007, 01:37:13 am
It takes a lot more guts to drop out of grad school than it does to mindlessly persist. No one should feel bad about it. The essential problem is that in most cases undergraduate school tells you nothing about whether graduate school is right for you, so the only way to find out is to try it. Which is an inefficient system and it sucks, but that's how it is. So you shouldn't feel like you're a failure, but that you've just been through an unfortunately very involved decisionmaking process. And you should never feel bad about trying something and deciding it's not right for you, or not right for you at that particular point in your life. 


Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: jaydub on February 26, 2007, 01:44:37 am
I imagine your kittyloaf going meowmeowmeow in rapid succession.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: V-Adore on February 26, 2007, 02:24:06 am
The one thing that has always confused me about your avatar, linnea, is why it's not a Scottish Fold kittyloaf. Really, shouldn't it be?

Anyway, I hope I will be going back to graduate school. I like doing research -- honestly, that was like the only good thing about it, but coursework blows the goat, is all.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: linnea on February 26, 2007, 03:25:22 am
The one thing that has always confused me about your avatar, linnea, is why it's not a Scottish Fold kittyloaf. Really, shouldn't it be?

Anyway, I hope I will be going back to graduate school. I like doing research -- honestly, that was like the only good thing about it, but coursework blows the goat, is all.

If I had any sort of Photoshop skills, I would totally make myself a Scottish Fold kittyloaf.

Ideally I'd have an avatar with TWO kittyloaves, one with folded ears and one with straight ears, as a shout-out to both Lennybruce (who has straight ears) and Milan (who has folded ears)?

each avatar would have to be white....Lenny has black spots and Milan has grey/blue spots:

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/66/218922191_f2f5a38535.jpg)

Do we have any photoshop masters out there who can make animated GIFs? Even non-animated would be hella rad.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Doc on February 26, 2007, 04:16:08 am
My avatar is a yawning horror from the depths of our collective psyche and 70s pop culture.
But I did the black and white bit myself.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 26, 2007, 02:35:15 pm
Crybabies.

No, wait.  That's me.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Enkidu on February 26, 2007, 04:53:33 pm
I imagine your kittyloaf going meowmeowmeow in rapid succession.
I think it says "You Will Die", in a demonic deep voice.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: MattFish on February 26, 2007, 05:54:37 pm
Do we have any photoshop masters out there who can make animated GIFs? Even non-animated would be hella rad.

I'll take hella shots at it when I get home.

Yet your signature and personal text still refer to the old image.

I like to think that makes me edgier and more ironic.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: MattFish on February 26, 2007, 10:03:54 pm
[img width= height=]http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/elasticloaves.gif[/img]

Look at that, look who delivers. have fun linnea

And I drew it at that tiny resolution because I am that damn awesome
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: RMJ12345 on February 26, 2007, 11:32:09 pm
Rock on, that's awesome.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Doc on February 27, 2007, 12:00:17 am
Damn but Mattgiraffe brings the STUFF.

I have to ask though, why does your quail messiah's mustache bit go under his beak? I thought the international animal anthropomorphising rules had decided the beak was a combination mouth/nose not just a nose.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: theinevitable on February 27, 2007, 01:36:24 am
OH NO YOU DI'N'T!
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: MattFish on February 27, 2007, 03:40:16 am
I have to ask though, why does your quail messiah's mustache bit go under his beak? I thought the international animal anthropomorphising rules had decided the beak was a combination mouth/nose not just a nose.

That's exactly what makes it funny. Me and some of my artist friends made a conscious decision that cartoon animals are funnier when they're anthropomorphized in nonsensical ways. The assumption is the beak is a protrusion on the face, therefore it is analogous to the nose, and not the mouth.

See fig. 1:
[img width= height=]http://webhost.bridgew.edu/m1scott/figure1.png[/img]
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: linnea on February 27, 2007, 07:24:23 am
OH MY EFFING GOD, DUDE

HELL OF AWESOME

YOU GET SO MANY TINY CANS

fuck*ng BRILL, I'M SO EXCITED I CANNOT TAKE CAPSLOCK OFF

Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Doc on February 27, 2007, 10:45:12 am
That's exactly what makes it funny. Me and some of my artist friends made a conscious decision that cartoon animals are funnier when they're anthropomorphized in nonsensical ways. The assumption is the beak is a protrusion on the face, therefore it is analogous to the nose, and not the mouth.

So not only do you have a reason, you have an excellent reason. I love this board.
Also you seem to have broken Linnea, good work there.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 27, 2007, 01:59:55 pm
V, please take extra good care of yourself. I got hella depressed and had to drop out of grad school.  It happened at a very stressful time - I had just gotten engaged to the Crap Dude, I had a nervous breakdown and got put on a ridiculous amount of meds, he got deployed to Iraq, I dropped out of grad school and moved in with my folks.  I still regret dropping out of graduate school. You guys know the rest of the story...I got better, got a job, he came home from Iraq a year later and broke up with me via telephone while I was at work one day. I got laid off two days after that. Then I moved to Alaska and got involved in Fire/EMS. It's really weird how the cards fall into place. I still really want to go back to grad school.

Anyway, my avatar is a kittyloaf that blinks and meows silently. You can imagine it blinking and saying stuff of your own invention if you like.



Your (new) avatar wins because I saw it blinking and meowing precisely to the beat of the solo portion of this version (http://boole.org/audio/oldbsides/boole-Freebird.mp3) of Freebird. (starting around 3:35)

(These guys will be playing at Baco de Mayo 7)
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: linnea on February 28, 2007, 03:05:10 am
Goddamn. This new avatar makes me ridiculously happy. Mattgiraffe, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and an excellent draw-er of many things, including animated elastic kittyloaves, both with and without the mutated Scottish Fold gene.

<3

GAH!! Their blinking and bouncing and meowing...it is too goddamned cute. I love it. It has approached Cuteness Critical Mass. Mi-wan's round little ears are the best, they are like wee dinner rolls that sit atop the loaf, much like his rrrrrrrround little kittynoggin sits on top of his fluffy self.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: MattFish on February 28, 2007, 03:22:27 am
Your (new) avatar wins because I saw it blinking and meowing precisely to the beat of the solo portion of this version (http://boole.org/audio/oldbsides/boole-Freebird.mp3) of Freebird. (starting around 3:35)

Oh my god that is uncanny. I'm gonna remember that, because it's just 20 frame pause in my version of gifanim, maybe I'll make a ytmnd or something. I'm laughing so hard.

Goddamn. This new avatar makes me ridiculously happy. Mattgiraffe, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and an excellent draw-er of many things, including animated elastic kittyloaves, both with and without the mutated Scottish Fold gene.

Aww, thannnnnks :3  I reserve the right to draw other shit for people if the inspiration strikes me.
Title: Re: Dude and Catastrophe??
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2007, 05:49:15 am
Reading this thread and looking at all the artwork on display makes me happy inside. Thank you, Mattgiraffe. Thank you, strangely-anthropomorphocized birds. Thank you, kitty loaves.