The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jaydub on February 26, 2007, 06:03:22 am

Title: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: jaydub on February 26, 2007, 06:03:22 am
My 18 month old miniature American Eskimo dog Petunia seems to have gotten confused by the recent spell of warm weather.  We had about 2 weeks of warm (even for California) weather and I woke up this morning to a house covered with a fine layer of dog hair.  I took her outside with some grooming brushes, and 40 minutes later had a lot less dog.  Or so it looks...
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/403068946_31d8f14b00_m.jpg)
The wind blew about 2x this amount down the path.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: linnea on February 26, 2007, 07:35:36 am
So fluffy and cute!

I love the name Petunia. My little dudes shed so much that I've threatened to shave them (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3255.msg78392.html#msg78392).
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: theinevitable on February 26, 2007, 09:24:25 pm
I like my dog a lot better when he is similarly shorn.
Mostly because it kind of makes us look like those pictures where the dude looks like his dog. Less so now that I don't have long-ish hair to compare to his ears. But generally he just seems happier and more active when his hair is short. We did have to buy him a little coat, though, because the first time we cut his hair in the winter he spent the whole day curled up in a ball in his bed.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: AugustWest on February 26, 2007, 10:30:56 pm
My dog is wearing his party hat. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankdempsey/400287872/)

Do you like my hat?
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: V-Adore on February 26, 2007, 11:33:41 pm
I like Gus's hat! I fear, however, that Gus does not.

That bulldog after him in your photostream is mad proud of himself, though. He is rockin' that purple-and-leopard coat.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 27, 2007, 12:00:28 am
Great hat, but that pup is just not feeling it. Someone drop a brat.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: jaydub on February 27, 2007, 12:27:59 am
Originally we were going to get 2 pugs, a boy we'd name "Football" (because you could carry him like one) and a girl named Petunia (after Porky Pig's girlfriend).  Fortune put an American Eskimo pup in our hands instead, and since she's female she acquired Petunia as a moniker.  Later that year I planted a bunch of assorted flowers along the walkway visible in that picture.  She wasn't interested in most of them, but she ate the blooms off the petunias.  Coincidence?  I think not.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: wombat on February 27, 2007, 12:52:44 am
That's a lovely half a dog you have but that doesn't mean you can't also have two pugs in addition.  Come on, how can you resist? (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38817438@N00/185647366/)
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 27, 2007, 10:02:04 pm
Do you like my hat?

I do not like it.

Dogs in cars again.  Going away.  Going away fast.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: AugustWest on February 27, 2007, 10:32:30 pm
I do not like it.

Dogs in cars again.  Going away.  Going away fast.

A Dog Party!
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: slink on February 27, 2007, 11:17:16 pm
Dogs in cars again.fast.

Just made me think of Dogs in Elk (http://www.webtree.ca/tree/keeper/dogs_in_elk.htm). Again.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 28, 2007, 12:29:26 am
I do not like it.

Dogs in cars again.  Going away.  Going away fast.

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the theme there first time. And I just pulled that out for the newest one's edumentainment.

Go, Dogs, Go!
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2007, 12:45:56 am
make sure you get that kid the REAL THING. Not any of this simplified crap where they took out some parts.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: linnea on February 28, 2007, 03:20:50 am
That's a lovely half a dog you have but that doesn't mean you can't also have two pugs in addition.  Come on, how can you resist? (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38817438@N00/185647366/)

OH NOOOO omba! Not the pug cuteness! I am powerless to resist posting a million "cuuuuute" comments. I would love a pug, but the little boys would smother me in my sleep if I ever introduced another quadruped to my household.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 28, 2007, 03:29:41 am
I like my dog a lot better when he is similarly shorn.
Mostly because it kind of makes us look like those pictures where the dude looks like his dog. Less so now that I don't have long-ish hair to compare to his ears. But generally he just seems happier and more active when his hair is short. We did have to buy him a little coat, though, because the first time we cut his hair in the winter he spent the whole day curled up in a ball in his bed.

I think you are supposed to shave dogs in summer and let them grow their hair out for winter.  At least that is what we do with my Great Pyrenees.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2007, 04:26:54 am
yeah, I know. I am not sure why my mom did that. But basically his hair gets hell of nizzasty when it is long.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 28, 2007, 02:57:57 pm
Just made me think of Dogs in Elk (http://www.webtree.ca/tree/keeper/dogs_in_elk.htm). Again.

Dogs in Elk is awesome.  I know one of the chatters--not the person with the crazy dogs, but one of the kibbitzers.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: slink on February 28, 2007, 03:11:11 pm
Dogs in Elk is awesome.  I know one of the chatters--not the person with the crazy dogs, but one of the kibbitzers.

Good lord, I never thought I could to two degrees from someone in Dogs in Elk. My mother will be most amused, it having become one of her very favourite intertube happenings.
A can to you... for coincidence.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2007, 03:17:37 am
make sure you get that kid the REAL THING. Not any of this simplified crap where they took out some parts.

They've dumbed down Go Dog Go?  Is that even possible?
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2007, 03:34:37 am
they took out all the complex sub-plots ("Do you Like my Hat?", namely.)
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: chuanoplast on April 20, 2007, 05:43:22 am
The entire hat subplot of Go Dog Go was my favorite! Especially the super party hat at the end.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: pmcd9 on April 20, 2007, 06:10:02 am
Go Dog Go is nothing without the hat subplot.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2007, 06:14:21 am
I know.
I know.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: joeyramoney1 on August 11, 2007, 05:10:22 am
jaydub, just give her a shave. it's cruel to keep long-haired animals in such hot weather.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: jay-ell on August 11, 2007, 06:06:47 pm
they took out all the complex sub-plots ("Do you Like my Hat?", namely.)

Didn't they only do that for the board book edition?  In my experience, board book adaptations of regular books are almost always abridged.  You should see what they did to Are You My Mother? 

My son has both versions of both books.  AYMM is also bilingual. 

Eres tu mi mama? 
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: theinevitable on August 11, 2007, 06:39:08 pm
my mom totally would have bought me the Bilingual version, and then never read me the spanish part. deep down, she wanted me to be ignorant of spanish and unable to talk to that whole side of my family... so I would never know her terrible secret.

(except that now she is trying to convince me that if I drop Arabic I should take Spanish. Which just makes me even more bitter about the not-being-bilingual thing.)
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: jay-ell on August 11, 2007, 08:04:13 pm
Pearce only heard the Spanish version until we found out he had autism, and we abandoned Spanish altogether.  Now he hears a little of each, but we mostly ask my mother in law speak Spanish to him because we want him to absorb the sounds and cadences so he can roll his r's when he gets older.  We don't expect bilingualism, given that it's sort of wonderful that he's speaking at all.  And he's doing superbly with sign language (still learning new signs even though he can talk) so I think we'll teach that to all our kids as a second language instead.  Lots of Dr. Seuss books are also really good to sign along with, actually, because they use basic and simple vocabulary and the illustrations are on the minimalist side so it's obvious that [this gesture] means, for instance, BIRD. 

We are, however, trying to teach him to read already, even though he's not yet three.  It would never have occurred to me to try this young, even though I read exceptionally early, except that he learned four words through osmosis or something so apparently written language comes much easier to him than spoken words.  My nephew is the same way; in fact, he was three and a half before he spoke at all and we are pretty sure he could read before then. 
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 06:17:02 pm
jaydub, just give her a shave. it's cruel to keep long-haired animals in such hot weather.

Watch out for the razor stubble at the bikini line.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: jaydub on August 26, 2007, 11:02:43 pm
Nabu: Ew

joey & others:  The average summertime temperature where I live is in the '70s or low '80s, with humidity around 40%.  Also, Eskies have sun-sensitive skin, so if I shaved her, I'd have to put sunscreen on her too.  That would be disgusting, with her propensity to roll in leaves and dirt.  American Eskimo dogs are way less trouble than you'd think, given their fluffiness.  Mud pretty much dries and falls off, random stains don't take, and she neither sheds much (other than the biannual "blowing" of the undercoat) nor requires much brushing.  They're even shown unclipped, with the coat come-as-you-are.
Title: Re: Half the Dog She Used to Be
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2007, 11:33:00 pm
Nabu: Ew

I'm glad I restrained myself, then.