The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Beatrice on February 27, 2007, 10:42:52 pm

Title: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Beatrice on February 27, 2007, 10:42:52 pm
 

... would i regret it?
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: slink on February 27, 2007, 11:24:25 pm
If it was Phillippe. And prospective lays thought it was a tattoo of a c*ck maybe. Maybe not...
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 27, 2007, 11:29:18 pm
I am of the firm opinion that all tattoos, of anything, anywhere on your body, are regretable.

To my eyes, they look off-puttingly masculine on ladies and look like ludicrious posturing on fellows.

"Oh wow, you had someone scar your flesh with ink, you are SO COOL. Are you going to get a faux-hawk next week? I would think you were even tougher then. I am so impressed. Can I have your autograph, tough guy? You are. So. Tough."

I realize that some people have, like, spiritual reasons or whatever for some of these things so I do my best to keep quiet and be non-judgemental about the entire affair but... you asked, I answered.

At a minimum, 83% of all tattoos gotten are people just kind of trying to... rebel or shock people or prove something or in some other way prove what radical individuals they are by doing something that everyone else is doing.

I can think of no idea so important to me that I would cut it into my flesh. Many things are very important to me and if I want to express them to someone else? I will talk to people about these things. I will totally say: "Oh, you know what? I think The Venture Brothers is totally rad."

I do not need to have Brock Sampson burned into my arm.

I can just say "Brock Sampson is awesome."

I have a mouth and I totally don't need to scream.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: robot_god on February 28, 2007, 03:05:57 am
Yes, but probably less than some other tattoo.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: linnea on February 28, 2007, 03:24:13 am
I am of the opinion that people who get other people's imaginary characters tattooed upon themselves...well, to me it smack of un-originality. It just seems weird and contrived to me. I remember seeing this meth-addicted punk at an IHOP restaurant in suburban Denver with literally dozens of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac tattoos all over his body. He thought he was so badass. He just looked ridiculous. Jhonen Vasquez is never going to be that kid's friend, so why is he turning his skin into a knockoff imagined Jhonen sketchpad?
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: jough on February 28, 2007, 05:44:12 am
I guess it depends on:

1) Where on your body the tattoo is placed, and

2) Which character you get tattooed

Tell us these things and we'll tell you if you'll regret it (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, etc.).

I'll go on record now saying Lyle, on your neck, probably a Bad Idea.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2007, 07:32:48 am
nothing you can do will beat a tattoo of this (http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/1118.jpg) that my ex has. Yes, she is 17. yes, she got it in a creepy place in NY.

It isn't actually the whole thing-- it's just the girl's head and the text. I basically told her it was the ugliest and least intelligent thing she could have done.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Alternate on February 28, 2007, 08:17:58 am
"Oh wow, you had someone scar your flesh with ink, you are SO COOL. Are you going to get a faux-hawk next week?"

Aw, I think faux-hawks are kind of cute.  They are hair cut to multiple different lengths, therefore they are fun to play with, tough-looking or not. 

But anyway. 

I can think of no idea so important to me that I would cut it into my flesh.

I can think of plenty of ideas that are important enough to me that I would cut them into my flesh... if it seemed that doing so would somehow benefit the ideas, which it doesn't.  I just don't think a tattoo would feel like a particularly meaningful symbol to me, regardless of what it was.  I can definitely appreciate that others find them meaningful.  It's a lifelong commitment, sometimes beginning with a very long and painful ritual, and I can respect people who go into it thoughtfully, choosing that method not just to express their deepest values, but to dedicate themselves to those values by signing over a piece of their body.  I can respect those people even when the value they are consecrating is simply the aesthetic of the tattoo itself, because aesthetics are important.  I agree that doing it to appear badass or to get a reaction out of people seems silly, but I can believe that many people who get tattoos do it largely for their own eyes, so they'll see the tattoo every day when they wake up and when they go to sleep, reminding them of whatever they wish to be reminded of. 

The reasons I don't expect to get one, though, are firstly that I haven't been very successful at distilling my favorite ideas into individual symbols.  I've occasionally thought of getting a math tattoo, but my idea for what to include in the image changes every year as I learn more and my focus changes, and I don't expect that to stop.  And secondly, as I said, I don't think I would find the medium meaningful.  At times in my life I've thought to consecrate ideas by wearing pieces of jewelry to represent them, but this eventually results in the jewelry feeling like a burden, and to me being increasingly struck by the fact that the jewelry is an object and the idea is not.  I think that even if I had a single idea that drove my life above all else, and a perfect symbol to represent it, if I ever had it scarred into my arm I would look at it and think, "This was already written more eloquently in all of my cells, in all of my thoughts, in all of my actions.  Why did I need to write it on my skin?" 
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2007, 05:18:23 pm
that reminds me of a sci-fi short story I read where they had invented a way to code the Qu'ran into people's "junk" DNA. That was a pretty cool concept, although personally I'd be afraid that it'd screw something essential up.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2007, 07:00:17 pm
On the subject of concept-related jewelry, I have always been tempted to get myself something from this collection of neurotransmitter jewelry. (http://www.madewithmolecules.com/index.html) On one hand, the artist's interpretations of the "meaning" of neurotransmitters are pretty simplistic, but on the other, it's still cool stuff and would be a way of representing my appreciation for neurotransmitters in a way that isn't a permanent part of my body.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Sub_Topical on February 28, 2007, 07:41:14 pm
Man, what Jough said.

Also, Slink has a very valid concern.

ALSO: I never felt the urge to tatoo myself as the scars give me suffient conversation topics/adornment.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Alternate on February 28, 2007, 10:43:03 pm
Jhonen Vasquez is never going to be that kid's friend, so why is he turning his skin into a knockoff imagined Jhonen sketchpad?

I kind of think Jhonen Vasquez is never going to be friends with anyone who actually reads his comics.  I mean, he wrote a very goth comic that relentlessly hates on goths.  I'd rather read his comics than be his friend, though, so it's fine by me. 

But yeah, he would probably extra hard not-be-friends with that kid, in particular.  If he knew of his existence he might call him up every day just to go, "Hey kid, it's Jhonen!  Listen, a bunch of us were going to get together tonight and read some sociopathic poetry, I was wondering if you'd like to- PSYCHE!"
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: linnea on March 01, 2007, 02:51:44 am
I kind of think Jhonen Vasquez is never going to be friends with anyone who actually reads his comics.  I mean, he wrote a very goth comic that relentlessly hates on goths.  I'd rather read his comics than be his friend, though, so it's fine by me. 

But yeah, he would probably extra hard not-be-friends with that kid, in particular.  If he knew of his existence he might call him up every day just to go, "Hey kid, it's Jhonen!  Listen, a bunch of us were going to get together tonight and read some sociopathic poetry, I was wondering if you'd like to- PSYCHE!"

Heh heh heh...tiny can. That kid was such an asshole.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2007, 01:11:30 pm
I've always kind of wanted a tattoo but as above haven't thought of anything worth tattooing onto myself.
Most tattoos are fairly terrible but in general I like them better than piercings. At least, on myself. Some ladies can carry off piercings pretty well.
Sometimes I think I'd like to go all memento and tattoo something on me that I really need to remember but that probably means I'd end up with a giant map of metabolic pathways on my back and that would be hard to read.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 01, 2007, 07:44:36 pm
I got some ink, and I don't regret it, but if you are asking a bunch of folks on a message board:



... would i regret it?

You probably would. It's pretty trite, but you should do it because you want to. Don't ask us if you ought to, any more than you would come here and ask how you ought to cut your hair.

If you do, though, get Lyle on your face . . . like I did.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Doc on March 02, 2007, 02:42:40 am
Nah, mexican magic realism Pat on your boobs, just to make your future sex life more 'interesting'.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Beatrice on March 02, 2007, 06:01:42 pm
i guess i was just imagining getting a tattoo in the first place, and then having it be, say, roast beef in heaven, and then never ever getting another tattoo.



and anyways, as with most tattoos i've seen in real life or not, they are pretty much a bad idea. subscribing to suicide girls really opened my eyes to the stupidity of people, no matter how female and attractive they may be.



i could get a flow chart mapped all over my body. 
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2007, 09:01:05 pm
and anyways, as with most tattoos i've seen in real life or not, they are pretty much a bad idea.
Most things are a bad idea, when it gets right down to it. Don't let that stop you!

subscribing to suicide girls really opened my eyes to the stupidity of people, no matter how female and attractive they may be.
That qualifier kills me. Who is on that site, Divine and Alexis Arquette?
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 03, 2007, 10:50:21 pm
The Suicide Girls opened for GNR when I saw them in December.

They did this... like... pretty tame strip-tease show that was occasionally funny/interesting but pretty much never sexy. The lack of sexiness wasn't so much out of the essential PG-13-ness of only stripping down to pasties and G-strings and...

A lot more to do with the fact that even though they were ladies with nice bodies who were nearly naked, they were all... like... tattooed to fuck-all and had like mohawks of dreadlocks and some of them were in vampire make-up and shit like that.

The whole thing about liking ladies who look like they used to be Hell's Angels before the sex change, I'll never get.

I mean, I understand why Axl made them an opening act, he's all like a fuck*ng Roman Emperor at this point and trying to see how much decadence he can get away with, while he takes a shit into a golden toilet and Dizzy feeds him grapes.

I am cool with the IDEA of having your opening act be a strip show, just to prove how much you can get away with because you're Axl fuck*ng Rose. That's fine.

But I'm not really into that kind of "nasty" sexy. Trashy is occasionally nice but I draw the line at nasty.

Summary: Suicide Girls? Boo to that.
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Alternate on March 04, 2007, 09:02:11 am
Hmm, I guess I would describe the look they're going for as "weird" more than "nasty," and I definitely associate "weird" with "hot."  I'm not so into suicide girls because the pictures feel superficial to me.  But I like my porn with a little bit of sci-fi, a dash of surrealism, and along those lines maybe some images of bodies decorated in ways that you wouldn't normally think to decorate bodies.  And I was a bit goth in high school, so when people get their goth on it feels kind of like a show of solidarity.  Really, though, I think I can find people of any genre attractive if we get along well enough. 
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: Doc on March 04, 2007, 01:26:45 pm
I can dig the suicide girls but can imagine the stage show would probably showcase the freakiest they have to offer which isn't always my cup of tea either (tats and piercings can be nice if they aren't overdone but I just want to buy people with dreadlocks shampoo)
Title: Re: If I got an achewood tattoo...
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 04, 2007, 11:42:39 pm
Yeah, on the internet, some of the Sucide Girls stuff is fine and sexy and so on. Just... you know... hot ladies who happen to be wearing too much eyeliner and have their hair clearly dyed black or whatever. Slightly distracting but definitely still hot.

But (a.) the touring show seemed to have picked the nastiest over-pierced over-tattooed over-makeuped ladies they had with the weirdest haircuts and (b.) the little "stories" to their dance were sometimes interesting or funny but pretty much not sexy.

Nearly naked nasty ladies re-enacting that scene from Reservior Dogs with the ear? Interesting.

Nearly naked nasty ladies pretending to be flight attendants giving the flight instructions? Funny.

Nearly naked nasty lady who was really really really good at hula hooping? Very interesting.

The hula hoop is a damned difficult thing to be REALLY good at and I salute the nasty lady.

But sexy?

Not at all sexy.