The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 02, 2007, 09:14:58 pm
-
So, do you all remember this recipe thread that I shared? (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1602.0.html)
We made this last night and my wife insisted on busting out the house in the middle of my cooking session and purchasing cinnamon rolls to go with it, in place of the traditional (by my standards, anyway) corn bread. Is this something any of you are familiar with? Is this a regional thing? She is originally from Pennsylvania - should I ask Donovan McNabb or Jeff Garcia? Also, do you have any amusing anecdotes of a similar nature, such as cooking eggs with slices of banana or some such madness?
The long and the short of it is, it was not bad. I cannot imagine the thought process that first came up with it, however.
-
I'm an oyster cracker man. Diced chilis are nice and shredded cheese I can understand. I'd never order a 5-way chili-mac but I grasp the appeal. But I don't cotton to corn bread.
I can't even wrap my head around wanting to eat chili with something frosted however.
-
That is a truly insane combination.
The only weird combination I can think of is that we used to go to a sugar house place in Western Mass. that served homemade pickles with its pancakes. It sounds horrible even now but I remember that it was a great combination, maybe because of salty pickles offsetting the sweetness of maple syrup?
I suppose there might be a similar complementarity behind cinnamon rolls with the chili but I still can only see it if they are not frosted. But I am thinking you mean frosted ones because these are decadent times and I am not sure unfrosted cinnamon rolls aren't extinct.
-
That is a truly insane combination.
The only weird combination I can think of is that we used to go to a sugar house place in Western Mass. that served homemade pickles with its pancakes. It sounds horrible even now but I remember that it was a great combination, maybe because of salty pickles offsetting the sweetness of maple syrup?
I suppose there might be a similar complementarity behind cinnamon rolls with the chili but I still can only see it if they are not frosted. But I am thinking you mean frosted ones because these are decadent times and I am not sure unfrosted cinnamon rolls aren't extinct.
Unfrosted cinnamon rolls make baby jesus cry. As does dunking them in extra frosting. It's like a sundae with extra cherries, it throws off the whole balance.
-
Yikes! that's totally crazy. I love chili and cornbread. I cannot imagine having cinnamon rolls with chili. Where is your wife from?
-
Hell of frosting.
Also, I had mentioned that she is originally from PA, but she's lived in the Pacific NW for the last 15 or 20 years.
-
I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Amish thing. Those people have a wicked sweet tooth.
You should go post the question on Chowhound (http://www.chowhound.com/), I'll bet it would make for a fun thread there.
-
I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Amish thing. Those people have a wicked sweet tooth.
You should go post the question on Chowhound (http://www.chowhound.com/), I'll bet it would make for a fun thread there.
I can't join that board - I only make it here once every three months as it is!
-
Never heard of such a thing. Don't mean it ain't OK, but it made my stomach cramp with the thinking on the sweet/chili mixture.
I'm good for the standard cornbread, but what I really like is to crack some biscuits in half and lay that chili over the top.
About the oddest thing I'll do is replace the mayonaisse/mustard combo on a sammich with such as a red pepper or dill hummus. But that's not really too off the wall I'm thinking.
-
Waitaminute....does she hail from Pennsylvania, or Pennsyltucky?
-
Easton, Penn.
Now I want answers, people!
-
Cinnamon, butter, and sugar are all ingredients I have heard of being added to chili, though rarely in combination. I have never heard of cinnamon rolls as a side dish before this post-y thingy. Though cornbread is certainly the traditional side, I personally prefer Fritos Scoops, which when used to scoop up a little chili and some melted cheese are basically little bites of awesome.
A texan friend of mine puts a handful of corn chips in the bottom of the bowl and ladles the chili on top of it. He calls this "Frito Pie," and I have heard at least one independent verification of this name. I'm not sure what to think of it, myself.
I'm still stumped on this cinnamon roll thing. It would imagine it to be some mutant variant made when someone was out of, say, frybread or hush puppies or biscuits or something. I don't mix sweet with savory myself, though, so this is not a journey I will be following you on.
It is time to make some chili again.
-
Cinnamon, butter, and sugar are all ingredients I have heard of being added to chili, though rarely in combination. I have never heard of cinnamon rolls as a side dish before this post-y thingy. Though cornbread is certainly the traditional side, I personally prefer Fritos Scoops, which when used to scoop up a little chili and some melted cheese are basically little bites of awesome.
A texan friend of mine puts a handful of corn chips in the bottom of the bowl and ladles the chili on top of it. He calls this "Frito Pie," and I have heard at least one independent verification of this name. I'm not sure what to think of it, myself.
I'm still stumped on this cinnamon roll thing. It would imagine it to be some mutant variant made when someone was out of, say, frybread or hush puppies or biscuits or something. I don't mix sweet with savory myself, though, so this is not a journey I will be following you on.
It is time to make some chili again.
The Hard Times Cafe chain makes Frito Pie that way but with actual fritos. I tried it once and wasn't a fan. I definitly though the starch was a good addition but by the time you eat down to the Fritos they're all soggy. The menu claims that this started in the 40's.
I know Alton also advises adding tortilla chips to pressure good chili since that will totally dissolves them and thicken the sauce.
-
I can't join that board - I only make it here once every three months as it is!
Well fine I'll do it.
Will report back.
-
Well fine I'll do it.
Will report back.
Ah Wombles, we don't deserve you.
Well, I don't, anyway.
-
I know Alton also advises adding tortilla chips to pressure good chili since that will totally dissolves them and thicken the sauce.
I use a roux made from Masa flour in mine, which is basically the same effect, but with butter instead of corn oil. It is awesome.
Hmm, I should post my chili recipe somewhere.
-
God, I love the internet. (http://www.chowhound.com/topics/376973)
-
God, I love the internet. (http://www.chowhound.com/topics/376973)
Elapsed time: 2 minutes. I am stunned. Thank you, my dear.
-
I could see having cinnamon rolls for dessert after chili. But together? That's kinda weird.
-
It actually sounds pretty delicious to me. I've never heard of it though.
-
See, I could completely see the spiciness of the chili... subtly continuing over in the spicy undercurrent of a cinnamon-based dessert quite well? Such as you don't think "spicy meal" and "sweet rich dessert" goes together but...
Chili-type flavour and cinnamon-type flavour have a set of similarities that probably make it awesome.
-
I could see the spicy-hot-savory and the spicy-sweetness going together, but maybe in a curry or something. Eating a Cinnabon and chili just sounds like a new level of American gluttony, like Snickers-stuffed cheesecake-covered deep-fried Twinkies or something.
-
Maybe if you are the type of person that eats cornbread smothered in honey with your chili, eating cinnamon rolls with chili would make sense because you're already consuming sugary bread. Next: Eating chili with snickerdoodle cookies.
-
that made me laugh real hard. hell of canned.
also I vomited a little bit?
-
The highest level of American gluttony in its purest and more proletarian fashion is the Chocodile.
It is a Twinkie... that is dipped in chocolate, kind of just because it could be done.
Dear Christ, it is awesome.
-
The highest level of American gluttony in its purest and more proletarian fashion is the Chocodile.
It is a Twinkie... that is dipped in chocolate, kind of just because it could be done.
Dear Christ, it is awesome.
I thought a Chocodile also had chocolate cake and "creme"
-
Not the Chocodiles I have to try and stop myself from eating. Maybe they're different in other regions?
Just a full-on Twinkie covered in chocolate.
-
Not the Chocodiles I have to try and stop myself from eating. Maybe they're different in other regions?
Just a full-on Twinkie covered in chocolate.
I've never actually seen a Chocodile, that's just what I thought they were based on Lore's Rating.
The mention of them in American Dad further proves the writers have never been anywhere near McLean. At least they don't say "the 495"
-
Sometimes i'll have a piece of cornbread with my chili like at our annual Soup Off auction if someone else has made some, but honestly a bowl full of tomatoes and beans and spices and more tomatoes and beef and God knows what else is pretty overwhelming. If I make chili from scratch the last thing I want to do is bake a tray of cornbread. I ate vegan chili for the longest time that chili with beef in it just seems way over-the-top. Chili is rich and satisfying as it is...adding cheese and sour cream and stuff is like gilding the lily.
And if putting some grated cheese on your chili is like gilding the lily... then eating a fuck*ng frosted Cinnabon with chili con carne poured over it just sounds like one of Ray's messy fantasies about a lady grinding pastries mercilessly beneath her nude bottom. Too much, dude, too much.
-
Not the Chocodiles I have to try and stop myself from eating. Maybe they're different in other regions?
Just a full-on Twinkie covered in chocolate.
They were on Food Network's "Unwrapped" the other night, and that's what they were, regular Twinkies enrobed in chocolate.
Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocodile
-
You could always dip a Chocodile in tempura batter and then, y'know, sorta deep-fry it.
I will send $2.78 to the first person who does this and posts photos of the result on the TOUAMB Flickr.
-
Buddy of mine, serious eater, had the deep-fried Snickers. He said they suck. This is like the only time I've ever heard of that he ate anything and didn't like it.
-
This thread is an abomination.
-
I can't speak to a snickers but deep fried mars bars are alright. Not the greatest thing on earth but tasty in a fully commiting to the sin of gluttony kind of way.
-
Why is it that frying renders foods so grelicious, yet so hella bad for you? It's a question that I ask myself when I order a salad instead of the deep-fried halibut giraffe n' chips. Or chicken tenders. Or buffalo wings.
Dammit, now I'm all hungry. Payday isn't until the 10th.
-
When it comes to things that really aren't meant to be deep fried, that are anyway... I'd say the tastiest is sushi maki. It's such a crazy bastardization. How can we make this predominantly healthy food stuff into something that is so bad for you that you Japanese mama will cry? I know let's deep fry that mother fucker! There is a proliferation of deep fried maki around, and most of it is ho-hum, but there's this one roll that a place near by makes called "happy mouth" with spicy tuna, avocado and salmon that they then dip in tempura and deep fry just long enough to crisp-i-fy it without cooking the stuff inside. So wrong. So right. What someone needs to do is put it on a stick and sell it at amusement parks. Sushi-yahoo!
When it comes to chili I made an ass kicking slow cooker chili with this beautiful sun-dried tomato turkey sausage and sweet potatoes. It was so good. Sometimes I regret that I never work from recipes, because I'm pretty sure this is one I'll never replicate perfectly again.