The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: linnea on March 02, 2007, 09:32:01 pm

Title: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: linnea on March 02, 2007, 09:32:01 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6411991.stm

This is really exciting. It looks like the eclipse, which is set to begin at 2018 GMT in England, is going to be the best in years. I'm planning on watching it! Someone please take a photo if you will be viewing it from the umbra or penumbra. It looks like I'll be on the cusp of the eclipse because of my geographic location, but I hear that the moon is going to turn a deep blood-red. It's going to be incredible to watch.

Apparently Saturday, March 3, 2007 at 2018 GMT translates to at 11:18 AM in Alaska...I guess that means i'll be watching for it tonight (Friday night) as soon as I can see the moon.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Nabubrush on March 03, 2007, 12:39:09 am
I hear that the moon is going to turn a deep blood-red.

That explains the plague of locusts, the boils that won't heal, and the hail mixed with fire.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: wombat on March 03, 2007, 12:54:14 am
That's 3 in the afternoon here. Guess I'll see photos on the internet.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: linnea on March 03, 2007, 03:01:29 am
That's 3 in the afternoon here. Guess I'll see photos on the internet.

omba! Are you on the East Coast? You guys might be able to see it... TONIGHT, go outside and look at the moon. Also tomorrow night! Maybe we can see it when it's dark!

Of course, since we won't be in the umbra we won't see the actual eclipse, but the moon should turn a different color, like orange or red.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Nabubrush on March 03, 2007, 03:16:34 am
Yeah, it's too bad we have the typical overcast grey Portland weather today. Oh well, Flickr here we come!
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: wombat on March 03, 2007, 04:12:53 pm
They say when it gets dark we should be able to see it here. I guess it takes a long time.

I will probably forget. We'll see.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: jaydub on March 06, 2007, 06:57:15 pm
Did you forget?
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: wombat on March 06, 2007, 07:16:15 pm
I remembered - but of course, it was totally cloudy by then.

Anyone else see it? The pictures looked cool. I saw one years and years ago but I don't remember it being as red as the photographs.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Nabubrush on March 06, 2007, 11:05:54 pm
I forgot. I got a little dissolute.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: linnea on March 07, 2007, 06:53:44 am
It was cloudy as fuck here. Par for the course. I did get to see the moon for a few seconds while I was driving, though. It was beautiful, bigger than I've ever seen, and it was bright golden yellow. It made me wish I could brush the stupid clouds out of the way so I could see it better.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Terry on March 07, 2007, 05:47:19 pm
We got a pure lovely view of the whole thing. Although like all major cosmic phenomena viewable from our little garden it was mildly disappointing (where are the galaxy sized explosions?) it's something else to enthrall the grandkids with. (By the time they enter the world the moon will have been harvested)
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: slink on March 07, 2007, 10:16:27 pm
The red moon was pretty cool, and the eclipse was good. Possibly not as good as the one I saw when I was a kid, but that's probably just because I was a kid...
My camera totally wasn't up to it though, but I'll check the shots out later and see.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 08, 2007, 07:43:27 pm
I was kind of disappointed with the eclipse (for which I blame fancy computer-generated science fiction) until I glanced up and my shockingly unpredictable colourblindness made the thing appear a fetching shade of green.

At which point I was struck by an uncontrollable craving for cheese.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 08, 2007, 08:11:40 pm
Welcome. Nice first post, all tying the moon, science fiction, cheese and colour blinded-ness into one post.
Title: Re: Lunar Eclipse Saturday at 2018 GMT
Post by: Limmo on March 08, 2007, 08:19:41 pm
We were doing a recording project up on a hill and eagerly awaiting the arrival of the red moon.  It never happened.  We discovered later that it happened while it was still daylight in our parts.  But we still managed to get drunk, so at least one of our wishes came true.