The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 04, 2007, 01:55:02 am
-
Since we're all about food here, I thought I'd make a thread where we can share favorite recipes. Have fun!
Here's one I make relatively often. It's healthy, simple and quick, but elegant.
Preheat broiler and prepare broil pan as necessary.
Pour a thin layer of real maple syrup in a pie or tart pan. Sprinkle syrup generously with fresh cracked black pepper. Press a salmon filet, skin side up, in the syrup and pepper mixture, coating evenly. Remove salmon from pan and place on broil pan skin side down. Broil until done.
Serve with a salad of baby greens and bleu cheese, and steamed or grilled vegetables of your choice.
Pour a fruity pinot noir or a young zinfandel.
-
Oooh, that's awesome.
Here are some of my recipes:
1. Get a bowl and a spoon.
2. Fill the bowl with cereal. I'm really into this organic Flax Plus! stuff lately. Also Mini-Wheats.
3. Add skim milk.
Here's my favorite one:
1. Toast 2 slices of whole wheat bread.
2. Spread each side thinly with Marmite.
3. Add a one-ounce slice of Cheddar. Close sammich.
4. Serve with a mug of piping-hot tea.
Vegetarian maki, untraditional with tomatoes!
1. Cook one cup of short-grain sushi rice in a rice cooker.
2. Turn rice into a bowl. Add mirin (sushi rice vinegar) to taste. Stir until combined.
3. Lay out a sheet of nori (sushi seaweed wrapper). Evenly spread seasoned rice over this.
4. Slice cucumber, avocado, and tomato into strips about half an inch wide. Lay in a line across the sushi wrapper.
5. Roll up, moisten the edge with water to seal. Slice and serve with wasabi and soy sauce.
Meal for "my nails are peeling because I've been eating really poorly the past few weeks."
1. Open a miniature can of tuna.
2. Give some to the cats. Milan will eat his, but Lenny will just sniff at it.
3. Eat directly out of can, despising every mouthful.
4. Shut up, it's good for you.
Vegan smoothie:
1. Get a $70 can of Ultimate Meal and a blender.
2. Add one cup frozen blueberries, one banana, a cup of water, some honey, and 1/3 cup Ultimate Meal powder.
3. Blend and drink immediately. The blueberries will cover the bright green color from the spirulina blue-green algae.
I like food, but I hate preparing it. I have a great recipe for dal makhani somewhere, I should get it. I will also post my Blue Ribbon White Chocolate Blueberry Cheesecake recipe that won first prize at the Blueberry festival that we have every year.
-
Oh man, recipes! I was going to post some of my mom's super excellent Chinese dishes, but then I realized that the instructions are vague. For example, here are her instructions for making beef dumplings: "Oh, you just chop up the vegetables and mix it with the beef. Don't forget to season it. And stir it in one direction, or else the dumplings will taste funny."
But I have one recipe!
Super Fresh Instant Noodles, Shanghai Style
1 serving Chinese dry noodles, the long white kind
As many bok choy as you can handle, chopped into bit-size chunks
Boil some water. If you like soup, boil a lot. If you don't, boil not a lot. Drop the noodles and bok choy into the water and cook until noodles are ready. The noodles will taste like vegetables. So will the soup! If you are feeling adventurous, crack an egg into the soup before it's done so you can eat some protein.
I have a recipe for homemade gnocchi somewhere, but I can't find it.
-
Somebody nice's Blue Ribbon White Chocolate Blueberry Cheesecake
Oven: 325 degrees F
Crust:
2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 T sugar
Wrap the outside of a springform pan tightly with several layers of aluminum foil.* Spray the inside of the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Combine crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir together until well mixed, and then pat onto the sides and bottom of a springform pan. After the crust is patted down inside the pan, place the pan in the freezer for at least ten minutes while you are preparing the rest of the recipe.
Filling:
6 ounces white chocolate (I use the baker's chocolate squares)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract (I personally hate almond flavoring so I omitted it)
4 eggs
1 cup white chocolate morsels
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Topping:
1.5 cups dairy sour cream
2 T sugar, or more to taste
Sieved blueberry jam, about half a cup. I foolishly prepared this with a tea strainer and it took me like 20 minutes.
Make filling:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place 6 ounces of white chocolate into a medium heatproof bowl and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat cream until it comes to a gentle boil. Remove pan from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let stand 3 minutes. Stir well until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool white chocolate mixture until tepid. You can also microwave it at low power (defrost setting) until the mixture is smooth.
In a large bowl, beat cream chese on medium-low speed until creamy and free of lumps, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and gradually add sugar. Mix in vanilla extract. Mix in white chocolate mixture until just combined. On low speed, add eggs one at a time, being careful not to overbeat.
Remove your springform pan with the crust inside from freezer. Sprinkle white chocolate morsels and blueberries evenly over the crust. Pour filling into prepared crust.
Put baking pan into a larger roasting pan and fill the outer pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the springform cake pan. Bake for 55 minutes until top of cake is set except in the very center. Remove cake from water bath and immediately run a thin bladed knife around edge of cake. Place springform pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Topping:
In a small bowl, blend the sugar and sour cream and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffly. Once the cheesecake has cooled completely, spread the filling over the top to within 1/2" of the edges.
Take a large spoon and stir the sieved jam until smooth. Gently drop large spoonfuls of the sieved jam on top of the cake, and then lightly draw a butter knife through the center to make a heart shape.
Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight before serving. I would like to try doubling the recipe to make a taller cake, like the ones they have at the Cheesecake Factory. This recipe produces a cake that is probably less than two inches high, not super impressive in terms of height, but it's very rich and delicious.
-------------------------------
* If water leaks in then it will ruin everything and you will cry bitter, bitter tears. Williams-Sonoma has a $42 leakproof springform pan, I might get one of those.
-
This thing. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1602.0.html) It is ok to eat it with or without beans, and you can have sweet rolls.
-
Fried salmon cakes:
1 14-3/4 oz. can salmon
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1 carrot
1 egg
vegetable oil
"Mayonnaise" faux-tartar sauce:
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1-1/2 tsp capers
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sugar
Cut the carrot in half lengthways and chop up one half further. Drain and flake the salmon in a large bowl; add all other ingredients except the oil and the other half of the carrot. Mix well. Makes six patties. Pan-fry in oil for about five minutes or until lightly browned. I like to use olive oil, but my Biochem-major roommate has warned me that it oxidizes if you fry it and is really bad for you. I haven't tried it with anything else yet, though. They also taste decent without oil if you just want to use PAM or somesuch.
Two cakes per plate plus some rice salad makes a nice meal, or alternatively you could serve them on their own as hors d'oeuvres. Add the tartar sauce, then grate the remaining half of the carrot for use as garnish.
-
Round here we call those Salmon Croquettes.