The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on September 30, 2003, 08:21:51 pm

Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on September 30, 2003, 08:21:51 pm
Does anybody use this?

I only added titles to it because Amazon offered me a $10 coupon if I added 100 items to mine.

Still, going through stuff that I wanted was a lot of fun, and it got me to thinking about Polyannas and how the Amazon Wish List would be perfect for an office gift exchange.

Which brings me to suggest that it may be fun to have an Achewood board polyanna.  We could set a price range that everyone who participates could afford, and it would be neat to get each other something and not know what it is.

Here's a link to mine:
http://www.amazon.com/o/registry/2BIGZX73EUPWO

And you could probably tell a lot about a person by the stuff on their list.


 

And of course if anyone wants to make me happy they could always send me something that's on my list just because
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: FeeReep on September 30, 2003, 10:29:48 pm
Ah, yes. The Xmas season is coming (or its here, I'm not sure anymore). Do you have to get an email, jough, or is this a standing offer for all members? If so, I wants my money-- I know there are at least a hundred things I want.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on September 30, 2003, 10:36:06 pm
I got an e-mail because I've been an Amazon.com customer for seven years now (!).

So I don't know if they have a promo for everyone or not.

But PM me (or just post, I guess) if you're interested in the "prisoner exchange."

Much fun there is to be had.  By all.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: V-Adore on September 30, 2003, 11:08:50 pm
I would consider this, albeit I would have to set up an Amazon.com wish list thing.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on September 30, 2003, 11:23:26 pm
Yeah, it's only fun if you add a bunch of stuff, since if you only add one item you won't be surprised.

For those interested, please keep in mind that most people don't have a lot of disposable income, so try to keep it to CDs, DVDs, books, etc.

Although if someone wants to send me an HD plasma tv, I won't complain. ;)
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: FeeReep on October 01, 2003, 06:27:16 am
This was kind of fun. Especially when they tried to recommend things to me. "If you liked Blood for Dracula, you'll love Stuart Little 2!"
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on October 01, 2003, 06:44:35 am
That's just the generic link to the wish list maker itself.

Unless you happen to pick all of the schlock they're trying to push, like the Oprah's Book Club titles.

The way I found out my link was by using the "E-mail my list to a friend!" option and selecting only myself on it.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: FeeReep on October 01, 2003, 10:31:11 am
D'uh... It worked fer me.

Try this:  http://www.amazon.com/o/registry/4B4TNXXFPU0Y
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jay-ell on October 01, 2003, 12:37:32 pm
Amazon.com pisses me off.  I don't use them.  But there is a nifty little site called ThingsIWant.com  (http://www.thingsiwant.com)on which you can create a central wish list across every site on the web.  I'd be willing to do a gift exchange if Jough doesn't force us to use Amazon.  And I think folk can probably set their own limits as to what they can spend, n'est-ce pas?  

The question is, how would we go about "drawing names?"
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jay-ell on October 01, 2003, 01:30:49 pm
P.S. Why the hell is this in "The Ball Room?"  Shouldn't it go in "Community" or "The Lounge?"
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on October 01, 2003, 05:35:35 pm
FeeReep: It worked for you because Amazon.com pulled a cookie off of your computer and logged you in to your own list.  That link you sent looked for our cookies, and those of us who had one just logged us into our own lists.  But then the session ID wasn't right, so it redirected us to the generic "Make a Wish List" page.

Yes, that second link works.

JLD: We don't *have* to use Amazon.com - in fact, everyone could choose their own site that allows public lists, as long as they can post the URL, since we have to post URLs anyway.

And I could write a script to assign partners (secretly) so that not even I know who has who (since if I participate I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

It may take some time to get this all together, but the holidays are after all coming up.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jay-ell on October 01, 2003, 09:10:49 pm
Whee!  This is fun.  How do we sign up?
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: Nice Jough on October 01, 2003, 09:21:58 pm
Just PM jough or post here that you're interested.

I guess we'll give people the month of October to sign up and build their lists.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 01, 2003, 11:06:54 pm
I'm in -

AlohaDawg's Amazon Wish List (http://www.amazon.com/o/registry/376GD8O5LQNUU)

OR, using the JLD-approved list:

AlohaDawgs ThingsIWant List (http://www.thethingsiwant.com/gifting/ecid.php4?ECID=e744c216d593dfdf69037aef16afa6d1)

(edited to add the ThingsIwant list. Nifty!)
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: FeeReep on October 02, 2003, 02:54:58 am
Quote
FeeReep: It worked for you because Amazon.com pulled a cookie off of your computer and logged you in to your own list. That link you sent looked for our cookies, and those of us who had one just logged us into our own lists. But then the session ID wasn't right, so it redirected us to the generic "Make a Wish List" page.


That is why I lead with the "D'uh".

what kind of cookies are they?
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on October 02, 2003, 03:58:37 am
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Crunch Cookies.

Speaking of, when I started the board someone wanted to send me cookies as a thank you, but of course I never accept baked goods from people on the internet, so he sent a photo of cookies instead.

Problem is, I lost the e-mail but have the photo.  I think it was one of the regulars - but please PM me as I have a present for you.

-- J.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 02, 2003, 04:01:02 am
Jough's security settings don't allow him to accept cookies.

There's a poem there somewhere.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: Limmo on October 02, 2003, 05:53:31 pm
I'm in.

Here's my Amazon list so far:



I'll whip up a Dunston-approved list soon.

Sounds like fun!!
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: jough on October 02, 2003, 06:28:23 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm in.

Here's my Amazon list so far:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/wishlist/ref=cm_wl_topnav_all-product-search/002-0603659-7138406

I'll whip up a Dunston-approved list soon.

Sounds like fun!!


Dude, you have *batteries* on your wish list.

And a Barbra Streisand album.

And an iPaq.

What is up with that?  I think you posted the generic list with your session info on it again.

People, you cannot just post your browser string and expect it to be your wishlist.  Without us having your sign-in cookie on our computers we cannot see your list that way.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 02, 2003, 06:34:52 pm
I clicked on his link and it sent me to MY wish list.

I think Jough mentioned this before: what you do is, "send a friend your wish list" and send it to yourself. Then use THAT link in your post.

I'm pretty sure that is what I did.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: Limmo on October 02, 2003, 07:29:39 pm
Yikes.  Jim feel stupid now.

Jim try to fix before further embarrassment erupt.

Jim hope this one work: http://www.amazon.com/o/registry/1M99PBEL3D2ZQ/

The batteries are for my Rabbit Pearl, and the Barbra Streisand album...well, I guess you found out more about me than you wanted to know....
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: V-Adore on October 02, 2003, 08:06:19 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
The batteries are for my Rabbit Pearl

Well, it's always good to have backups.

Anyway, will get on this ASAP.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 02, 2003, 10:05:56 pm
Jim, I love the movie list: For a few dollars more, Seven Samurai,  Saving Private Ryan......and Snoopy, Come Home.

Chicks dig the sensitive guys, man. Rock On.
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: Limmo on October 02, 2003, 10:55:41 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Chicks dig the sensitive guys, man. Rock On.


Too bad I'm married.  The sad saga of Snoopy and Lila might have gotten some extra something-something.  

Think of it as a palate cleanser after watching Lee Van Cleef slaughter his way through the West in For A Few Dollars More and Days of Wrath.

I'm sure chicks dig guys who are into calculus, bugs and tuberculosis too!
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: Mite on October 03, 2003, 12:07:51 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm sure chicks dig guys who are into calculus, bugs and tuberculosis too!

*Swoon*
Title: Amazon Wish Lists
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2003, 08:22:02 pm
mmmm, calculus and bugs.

Anyway... have an Amazon wish list set up, but I'm still adding and deleting things (I burned an old gift certificate I had sitting around, so hopefully now at least some of the stuff on the WL is on its way to me). I'll post it as soon as things stabilize. Ideally, I'll get a JLD-safe list up too.