The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Sub_Topical on March 12, 2007, 03:27:06 pm

Title: OC on Fire
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 12, 2007, 03:27:06 pm
DAMMMIT!

You fuck*ng haters must've set my home on fire using the collective power of the TOUAMBIE hive mind.

If you've caught CNN yesterday/today you can enjoy those fine pictures of my home area like, totally, on fire. If they show the blurb of people leading livestock down the street anymore, that's the other side of my block. I get to stay home today as we're still under a voluntary evacuation call, but things are looking much better for the moment.

Now if that onshore wind switch just holds off a while...

BTW, root cause was prolly some a-hole pushing a stolen car off the tollway and setting it on fire to hide evidence. Funny, the last time I had to sweat a fire problem in 2000 it had THE SAME EXACT CAUSE.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: slink on March 12, 2007, 04:19:42 pm
BTW, root cause was prolly some a-hole pushing a stolen car off the tollway and setting it on fire to hide evidence. Funny, the last time I had to sweat a fire problem in 2000 it had THE SAME EXACT CAUSE.

Town on fire, and caused by thieving jerkwads... And you stood up for this place why exactly?

I'm not really being serious, I just like living somewhere peaceful where crazy evil shit doesn't really happen. I consider it a lifestyle choice.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: theinevitable on March 12, 2007, 05:02:31 pm
man, at least you don't have earthquakes or horrible smog or traffic like LA does.

...but seriously, I really love LA. A lot.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 12, 2007, 06:27:26 pm
If it makes you feel any better, a train blew up 45 minutes from my parents' house and shut down all east-west travel in Central New York for the day. A propane train. It's a good thing the snow pack is fire resistant.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: AugustWest on March 12, 2007, 07:33:17 pm
That sucks man.  Be safe.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: side_show on March 12, 2007, 08:36:02 pm
As mentioned elsewhere, my car and my SO's car were both vandalized.  For my SO this is the 3rd time in 1.5 yrs.  It is shitty ST, personally I blame daylights savings time.  I hope you're doing okay.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 12, 2007, 08:51:13 pm
...personally I blame daylights savings time.  I hope you're doing okay.

Thanks, we're over the worst of it and it seems to be contained at least. Not much property damage for anyone, fortunately. Lots of smoke and soot and ash still. It's a stay indoors day for sure.

Blame DST. That is lovely.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 12, 2007, 08:59:02 pm
Glad all is well and that youve survived the god's retort to our meddling with the space-time continuum.
 
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: V-Adore on March 12, 2007, 09:12:16 pm
Be safe and take care, okay?
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: Nabubrush on March 12, 2007, 09:30:07 pm
I like California. Please be safe.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: linnea on March 13, 2007, 02:37:40 am
Dude! It was not TOUAMB hive-mind that did this to your residence.

I hope you're okay. Where the hell do you guys get water for firefighting? That's why I'm not a wildland firefighter... you have to carry everything on your back. 55 pounds of bunker gear is all I can handle, so adding a chainsaw, water pack, shovel, and God knows what else to that would render me totally useless.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 13, 2007, 05:18:41 am
Dude! It was not TOUAMB hive-mind that did this to your residence.

I hope you're okay. Where the hell do you guys get water for firefighting? That's why I'm not a wildland firefighter... you have to carry everything on your back. 55 pounds of bunker gear is all I can handle, so adding a chainsaw, water pack, shovel, and God knows what else to that would render me totally useless.

Fighting forest fires in rural Virginia was hell of fun. See in a structure fire theres all that property to worry about. In the forest we can even set things on fire ourselves if it suits us. We didnt carry much we had a great utility truck that could go almost anywhere and haul the "indian packs" of water an petrol along with the power tools. the only trouble is airpacks really.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2007, 10:46:43 am
I like Southern California and I would appreciate it if people would stop setting it on fire. Thank you.
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 13, 2007, 02:58:30 pm
All contained and thanks for the nice thoughts. Just so you know info - We've only gotten 2.4" of rain since last July. This is like historic dryness for the area and means we're going to be hella dry for the entirety of the year unless we get some totally unuasual rainfall.

Expect more burnination, is basically what the data is saying (and people are afeared to).
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2007, 05:20:07 am
But what about backyard barbque sir?  THERE WON'T BE ANYMORE BACKYARD BARBEQUE!
Title: Re: OC on Fire
Post by: chuanoplast on March 25, 2007, 05:57:57 am
Just so you know info - We've only gotten 2.4" of rain since last July. This is like historic dryness for the area and means we're going to be hella dry for the entirety of the year unless we get some totally unuasual rainfall.

Expect more burnination, is basically what the data is saying (and people are afeared to).

This sounds like the typical dryness where I live, and there is some sort of fire every summer. This fact is made hilarious by the radio annoucements during a fire, which always say something like "The Boomtown fire is under control, but the fire department has asked that people not stop and watch the fire."