The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jaydub on March 17, 2007, 11:17:42 pm

Title: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2007, 11:17:42 pm
Its been a while since we visited this topic, and there's lots of new faces.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 17, 2007, 11:22:44 pm
I always assumed that it rhymes with "ow".

Such as "the Jough Dones Industrial average".
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2007, 11:41:52 pm
Oh the noobs, ain't they cute.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: theinevitable on March 18, 2007, 12:37:24 am
um, what is the difference between "dough" and "thorough?" Am I pronouncing one of these in a strange way?

Judy needs to re-post his poem where he used all the possible pronunciations.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 18, 2007, 01:54:51 am
I was going to ask that, but I thought it was on purpose maybe.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 03:27:53 am
um, what is the difference between "dough" and "thorough?" Am I pronouncing one of these in a strange way?

Doe and thir-uh, you heathen.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 18, 2007, 03:32:32 am
I know because Spouse told me.

And I'm not tellin'. 'Cause I'm like that.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 04:13:14 am
In my head, I just pronounce it 'jew'.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2007, 04:19:47 am
Quote from: Nabubrush drinks (a lot)
In my head, I just pronounce it 'jew'.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand SCENE.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: iron_felix on March 18, 2007, 08:22:36 pm
Never mind what it rhymes with, how is the "J" pronounced?

Djough?

Zhough?

Yough?

Hough?
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2007, 08:23:41 pm
Pimps up, Joughs... down?
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Drygioni on March 18, 2007, 08:49:02 pm
Judy needs to re-post his poem where he used all the possible pronunciations.

Bloody hell, do you have a good memory. Seeing as I've contributed bugger all recently it's nice to look at when I made a "contribution".

Reposted for posterity:
Quote
He's ultra fine, he's super tough
He rules us all, his name is Jough

He'll entertain, put on a show,
You won't be bored 'cause he is Jough

He sneezes at times, he'll sometimes cough
It shows he's human... his name is Jough

He's quite the fellow, he ain't a cock
You'll know this well if you know Jough (Johkh, it's Manx)

He woos the women, he's skilled in lurv
Who's your daddy? His name is Jough.

It all rhymes, see?

If nothing else, I've secured my place in History with what is surely the most versatile use of a single word in a poem. Any opinion from the boss man himself and his vast knowledge of the poetic muse?
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2007, 08:54:03 pm
Quote from: JudyIsADickSlap
Seeing as I've contributed bugger all recently, at least as JudyIsADickSlap, it's nice to look at when I made a "contribution".

Fixed that for ya.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: V-Adore on March 18, 2007, 09:08:12 pm
I still maintain the Spock answer.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 09:10:27 pm
I have decided to change the pronunciation I use, as it could be construed as offensive. Henceforth, I will use "Jah".
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2007, 09:14:44 pm
He's quite the fellow, he ain't a cock
You'll know this well if you know Jough (Johkh, it's Manx)

Wikipedia mentioned this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography#.22ough.22_words), with an aside that it is the correct spelling of the verb to sell for quick money - a la pawnshops - which would be "I need to hough this watch to pay rent tomorrow."

I went with the list of -ough terms in my head, then had a look there to see if there was a common one I'd missed.

Nabu, your version should be the "Rhymes with through" option, right?
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 09:17:20 pm
Wikipedia mentioned this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography#.22ough.22_words), with an aside that it is the correct spelling of the verb to sell for quick money - a la pawnshops - which would be "I need to hough this watch to pay rent tomorrow."

I went with the list of -ough terms in my head, then had a look there to see if there was a common one I'd missed.

Nabu, your version should be the "Rhymes with through" option, right?

You missed the all-new version by 4 minutes (unless you pronounce the word "through" in a really strange fashion).
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2007, 09:23:25 pm
You missed the all-new version by 4 minutes (unless you pronounce the word "through" in a really strange fashion).

Yep - you've gone all rasta on me now.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 09:25:48 pm
(Obligatory)

Throat-wobbler Mangrove.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: slink on March 18, 2007, 10:12:12 pm
Throat-wobbler Mangrove.

*cough* warbler *cough*
But point for effort, nonetheless...
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 11:02:50 pm
*cough* warbler *cough*
But point for effort, nonetheless...

You know, I was gonna look it up, but jesus people I am at work. I'm supposed to be working.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Lister on March 21, 2007, 05:49:19 am
Just after clicking my choice, I had an image of Jough going through the names of everyone who voted incorrectly and doing something horrible to their accounts.

And now I'm frightened that I have been an inspiration.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: iron_felix on March 21, 2007, 01:29:05 pm
I suspect Jough would be more inclined to do something horrible to the accounts of people who guessed correctly.  Like Rumplestiltskin.

And now, between the two of us, we've probably just screwed over everyone who voted.  Teamwork!
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: side_show on March 21, 2007, 01:45:05 pm
My subconscious, or Paul  (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2444.msg72311.html#msg72311) told me it's just Joe, so that's what I go with.
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: jaydub on March 21, 2007, 08:37:47 pm
A scene from Mel's dream, updated for March '07

MoF: Ennwayu! There's some lovely filth down here!

A-CAP: I told you, we're an anarco-sydicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week...
LFM: Yes...
A-CAP: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...
LFM: Yes I see...
A-CAP: ...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...
LMF: Be quiet!
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 08:45:05 pm
I've been thinking about it, and now it's going to be a ridiculous exaggeration of the way southerners say Georgia:

Joe-juh
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2007, 08:53:10 pm
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced, "Johann Gambolputty- de- von- Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crass- cren- bon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelter- wasser- kurstlich- himble- eisenbahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- einen- nürnburger- bratwürstel- gespurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumeraber- schönendanker- kalbsfleisch- mittleraucher- von- Hautkopft of Ulm "
Title: Re: How do you pronounce Jough
Post by: jough on March 23, 2007, 01:00:42 pm
These are all better than the actual pronunciation of my name.