The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Fooker on March 17, 2007, 11:35:28 pm

Title: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Fooker on March 17, 2007, 11:35:28 pm
Ok.

I am from circumstances. The body is neat, it can adjust to a diet of one meal a day or less pretty well. I have not been in circumstances for a good time now. I am recently eating more, and now that it is warm, I am spending days outside.

Why am I hungry so much now? It's not like hunger pangs, but the nagging thought at the back of my mind that I want to eat something. Mostly I have fruits or a omelette (i am learning how to make good omelettes and going through a lot of eggs) and sometimes a bagel. Also meats, grains.

I have belly pudge but it isn't noticeably increasing. Also, my beard and mustache sealed up, and I am having more body hair come in.

If this is some kind of secondary puberty shenanigans at twenty, I am not amused.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 17, 2007, 11:38:29 pm
Could you be... with child? Did she at least do the honourable thing and get engaged to you?

There is nothing sadder than a pregnant dude and a shotgun wedding.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: slink on March 17, 2007, 11:59:50 pm
What is this, ask.metafilter?
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: linnea on March 18, 2007, 01:27:39 am
I bet it's a tapeworm. I bet that drinking some kerosene would help with that.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: wombat on March 18, 2007, 01:28:32 am
I bet it's a tapeworm.

Dang, beat me to it!
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: theinevitable on March 18, 2007, 01:59:33 am
I periodically go through times like that.

Of course, my doctor also broke my mom's heart by telling her that I'm "practically anorexic," which was completely unnecessary. And a lie. What she meant was "his BMI would make us think that he is anorexic except that he just gained 8 lbs, which indicates that he is not eating in an anorexic manner you stupid doctor making my mom get all upset what the fuck are you thinking"

but yeah, sometimes I go through periods of being hungry all the time. It's weird. You'd think I had a hunger-drive or something.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 03:26:44 am
Fooker, does it help if you drink lots of water?
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Fooker on March 18, 2007, 03:33:50 am
Then I'm just hungry, with crystal clear urine. I should go make a wikipedia entry about my urinations.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Sub_Topical on March 18, 2007, 03:34:16 am
I bet it's a tapeworm. I bet that drinking some kerosene would help with that.

Friggin' beauty, 'eh!
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: linnea on March 18, 2007, 07:12:17 am
So you're hungry all the time? Welcome to the world that most women have to inhabit their whole lives.

My next suggestion would be to talk to your doctor. Maybe it indicates a larger underlying problem.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Fooker on March 18, 2007, 07:43:21 am
Friggin' beauty, 'eh!

If I have a tapeworm, I'm not going to do a damn thing about it.

Friggin' ultimate diet aid. Nothing spells "8% bodyfat here I come!" like a 20 foot long parasite coiled in my intestines.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go watch Alien again.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 03:22:47 pm
So you're hungry all the time? Welcome to the world that most women have to inhabit their whole lives.

This is partially because, as I have said, because our culture is fucked. Man how I hate this. I am angry now.

As an aside, there is some stupid fuck*ng reality show about "Top Models". It goes through this whole fuck*ng deal about these poor girls trying to last on this show and not be thrown off. They are all like bundles of sticks already, and the other people on the show talk about how they need to lose weight and stay tight and all that horseshit. Then at the end, over the end credits, there's a little PSA of a nine year old girl saying horrible things like "you're too fat" and "you need to lose weight" and all that, and then the blurb comes on the screen saying that at age nine like 40% of girls have already dieted, and how we need to change this and it's a horrible thing. I don't even have anything clever to say here. What the fuck is wrong with these people.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 18, 2007, 05:58:03 pm
Amen, Nabu.

Fooker, it could be anything from a thyroid issue to anemia to dehydration. Also, if the composition of your diet is limited (e.g. if you're not getting a lot of variety), you may be missing key nutrients that prompt a hunger response (your body just trying to get you to eat and eat and eat in hopes that eventually you'll consume something that has the missing elements in it).

If you're eating more protein than carbs, you could be experiencing carb cravings. The body can process carbs more quickly, and if you suddenly decrease your carb intake, your body has to retrain itself to be patient during the processing of protein. So I'd suggest monkeying with your diet and then possibly checking in with your doctor.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 18, 2007, 06:00:27 pm
This definitely sounds hormonal in nature.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 06:23:24 pm
Let us know if you start doing this. (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no8/03-0033.htm)
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: slink on March 18, 2007, 08:02:55 pm
Erm... I do this. But it's really just a combination of mood, a stupidly high metabolism and how much excercise I'm getting. It can all be sorted by drinking and smoking too much.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Teatime on March 18, 2007, 09:04:09 pm
How long have you been eating well? Typically when I start eating normally again after a long bout of minimal consumption, I am constantly hungry.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2007, 10:13:25 pm
Quote from: Callahan GN. Eating dirt. Emerg Infect Dis (serial online) 2003 Aug
When I asked my 2-year-old daughter why she ate dirt, she just stared at me, her eyes wide open, a thick moustache of loam limning her lips. She must have decided that either what I had asked was unfathomably abstract or her answer would be far beyond my comprehension.]

QFT
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: wombat on March 19, 2007, 02:02:45 am
Let us know if you start doing this. (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no8/03-0033.htm)

Wow, that was really interesting. Not at all what I expected.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2007, 02:19:11 am
weird thing:
I got into an argument with a guy the other day about whether eating dirt was a "disease." I told him that some people did it for cultural reasons, and he said "yeah. because they have a disease."
And I meant to look it up, and then I forgot.
Today, me and the Lady spent about half an hour trying to remember what it was that we had meant to look up.
Just now, I logged on, and there it was.

PS I am noticing a trend, as this is the same guy who told me that I didn't "get" Pan's Labyrinth
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 19, 2007, 02:47:56 am
That is because it was a shit movie.
Title: Re: I am hungry a lot more of the time.
Post by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2007, 03:04:43 am
weird thing:
I got into an argument with a guy the other day about whether eating dirt was a "disease." I told him that some people did it for cultural reasons, and he said "yeah. because they have a disease."
And I meant to look it up, and then I forgot.
Today, me and the Lady spent about half an hour trying to remember what it was that we had meant to look up.
Just now, I logged on, and there it was.

PS I am noticing a trend, as this is the same guy who told me that I didn't "get" Pan's Labyrinth

Education.