The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on March 22, 2007, 11:50:28 pm

Title: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 22, 2007, 11:50:28 pm
So. Apparently for the Pitchfork Music Festival's opening, Sonic Youth are going to play all of Daydream Nation. tickets are 15$. I love this album, I have never been able to see Sonic Youth... but I'd have to drive all the way there? And probably none of my friends would want to go. And I'd be surrounded by horrible hipster people (I'm supposed to hate people who like what I like, right? Isn't that how it works?). Perhaps most importantly, I'm not really interested in any of the other bands playing, and I'd probably stay with my friend who lives way outside the city.

So. Thoughts? I have never gone to a music festival like this, so I don't really know how to decide. Have you gone to a music festival and loved it? Hated it?
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: linnea on March 23, 2007, 01:35:00 am
Oh man, I love Pitchfork. I would totally go if I were able. That sounds like a great festival.

The last music festival I've been to was probably Lollapalooza in the early nineties! I did get to see Sonic Youth and other awesome performers, though. :P I would love to go to the Michigan Women's Music Festival, South by Southwest (SXSW), and an Austin City Limits festival.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 23, 2007, 04:52:07 am
Music festivals=thumbs up. They are never a bad time. Even when they're bad, they're good. If nothing else, remember this: people regret more the things they didn't do than the things they did.

It will be as Awesome as you want it to be.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2007, 05:42:21 am
huh. My mom informed me that she'd want me to take a plane, instead of driving. Because, you know, paying a couple 100$ to go to a 15$ show makes so much sense.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2007, 06:48:35 am
PS: has anyone seen The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Son Volt, or Yo la Tengo live? They are all coming before the end of the school year, but tickets are 20$. And that is... kind of a lot. I have not listened to a particularly large amount of the music of any of these bands, but you can bet your ass I will be listening to what I have between now and when they come.

So... do any of these bands suck live? Please tell me Yes for at least one. If I have to judge for myself, I'll go to all of them. Or else, decide by going to none of them.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 23, 2007, 06:55:54 am
The Decemberists were okay when I saw them, but were totally outdone by their opening act, which was Sons & Daughters.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: smick on March 23, 2007, 08:38:15 am
PS: has anyone seen The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah,

Both are really fun live shows.  Sorry.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Doc Benway on March 23, 2007, 10:08:01 am
So. Apparently for the Pitchfork Music Festival's opening, Sonic Youth are going to play all of Daydream Nation.
That sounds incredible! DN is one of my all-time favourite albums! Also, Yo La Tengo are great live, definitely worth $20 in my book.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: jough on March 23, 2007, 12:34:34 pm
I live in Chicago and had no idea about this festival. 

I'm down.  Also, I'm good for buying a drink and kicking it around town for any board regulars who show up. 

EDIT: Just bought tickets.  And it's in July, not June.

http://pitchforkmusicfestival.com
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 24, 2007, 01:24:10 am
PS: has anyone seen The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Son Volt, or Yo la Tengo live?

I've seen The Decemberist Live.

link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/272629712/)

Colin Meloy ended the show early due to a sore throat, stopping just before the song I was eagerly awaiting to hear, The Mariner's Revenge Song was next on the setlist.  Otherwise they played very well and were entertaining.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: linnea on March 24, 2007, 05:23:25 am
OH GOD... theinev, if you get to see Son Volt play live... I will rip out my heart or spleen or something so you can go up and rub it on Jay Farrar. I fuck*ng love Son Volt sooooo much, just check out my last.fm dashboard sometime. They're insanely good. SEE THEM FOR ME. PLEASE.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: jough on March 24, 2007, 04:08:54 pm
Anyone planning to go see this show, by all means contact me ahead of time.  I will make Chicago sway to welcome you.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: V-Adore on March 24, 2007, 05:48:30 pm
I kind of want to go to see some of the other bands, truth be told. Maybe I can Make This Happen.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2007, 06:28:04 pm
dude... I will totally drive there with Hobot.

I WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: hound on March 25, 2007, 02:03:03 am
also in this series slint are playing spiderland straight through and house of love are playing their first s/t, both of which are probably more solid albums to my mind than daydream nation

not that i'm one of those people who pretends sister is better than daydream nation but the latter does have some throwaway traxcks

spam post tiny can lark l@@k
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: hound on March 25, 2007, 02:05:06 am
oh wait you guys are talking about them doing this at pitchfork rather then them doing this at the atp don't look back show

WELL THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE

THAT WOOD BE IN KEEPING W/ OUR MOSTLY LIVING IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHEARE

FIGN
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2007, 02:09:09 am
also in this series slint

EAT A DICK.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, july?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2007, 06:30:23 am
Jough, Amanda, Dan and Julia + a bunch of killer bands.  Man, that might be worth a drive.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2007, 06:43:36 am
The best part will be when you are never able to see them all in the same place at the same time, are constantly just miss each other coming or going from your presence and all suspiciously look like Chris Onstad just in different shirts that say "Jough" or "Amanda" or so on, on them.

Do you call him/them on it or do you play along, in case he/they have a gun?

Adventure!
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 25, 2007, 08:44:20 am
yeah, um, Spiderland is one of my 2 favorite albums of all time.
but driving to new york would probably be harder. since it's hard to drive there?

I don't even know. right now my plan is to go there with a guy I barely know. Who I've only met once in real life.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 25, 2007, 04:53:35 pm
yeah, um, Spiderland is one of my 2 favorite albums of all time.
but driving to new york would probably be harder. since it's hard to drive there?

I don't even know. right now my plan is to go there with a guy I barely know. Who I've only met once in real life.

That sounds like a recipe for adventure if ever there was one!
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2007, 05:05:28 pm
yeah, um, Spiderland is one of my 2 favorite albums of all time.
but driving to new york would probably be harder. since it's hard to drive there?

I don't even know. right now my plan is to go there with a guy I barely know. Who I've only met once in real life.

DON'T DO IT! (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11112003)
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 25, 2007, 07:32:15 pm
it'll be probably more of an adventure in a "hey dude, do you mind if I snort coke in your backseat? I won't spill any." variety.

or the "hey man, um, I kind of fucked this girl? In her parent's bed? Don't ask how I got there. We might want to run, her dad has a shot... gun. HEY! We should write a song about this!"

He is basically the most purely rock-and-roll human being in existence. The ladies swoon for him, the drugs barely phase him, the foster-parents kick him out... and his idiosyncratic sense of melody on the guitar makes me want to kill myself with jealousy.

Also: my friend Tim might want to go. I couldn't really tell which way he was leaning.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2007, 08:26:35 pm
I have a strict rule about this with friends.

"If you are doing cocaine, we are not hanging out."

Not like I'll totally break contact, I'll talk to them on the phone or e-mail or whatever.

But coke for any extended period of time will simply fuck you up. No if, just when.

It probably sounds cruel or closed-minded but it is just the sensible thing to do.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: theinevitable on March 25, 2007, 09:20:44 pm
actually, now that I think about it he is more of a weed/prescription painkillers man than anything else. That was just the example that popped into my head.

plus, the chance to say "I won't spill any."
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2007, 02:44:48 am
actually, now that I think about it he is more of a weed/prescription painkillers man than anything else. That was just the example that popped into my head.

plus, the chance to say "I won't spill any."

Somebody doing big-time coke on a road trip will basically ruin it. Trust me. Smoking weed on a road trip won't be a big deal. Scrips? Depends on the particular drug. No on the coke/acid/shrooms/crank on the road trips, though. Ether can be a problem, too. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120669/)
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 26, 2007, 07:34:39 am
That was the road trip to end all road trips and all of those drugs were involved, except crank.


scrips just made me spend 3 minutes typing this post.


And yeah, one time I did coke for 20ish hours on a like 22 hour drive.

I felt like I was going to die and that my spine was broken.  Our heads held together until we stopped though.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2007, 02:38:31 pm
What I should have said is that sort of thing is best left to the professionals. If you aren't down with it, don't get in the car. Having one person in that space and one person not in that space is unlikely to work well.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 26, 2007, 10:02:57 pm
Yes, yes, couldn't agree more.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 26, 2007, 10:07:04 pm
Yes, yes, couldn't agree more.

You know, Keith, I think we would get along well together - at least until we burst into flames.
Title: Re: Daydream Nation-- chicago, june?
Post by: hound on March 27, 2007, 07:24:17 am
why would a can of dr pepper have tines