The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jaydub on March 22, 2007, 11:53:30 pm

Title: Happy little time waster
Post by: jaydub on March 22, 2007, 11:53:30 pm
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/boomshine

I kept this guy running in the background while I was writing today.  It sort of reminds me of the background music from the home design part of The Sims.  Cheery, low key, not distracting.  I just never got around to closing the window.  The game itself is pretty good, although I didn't develop much of a strategy for it (hence my middling final score of 260 - should be easy for any TOUAMBie to crush).
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: AugustWest on March 23, 2007, 12:40:15 am
Here (http://www.games1.org/games/chaostheory.swf) is a similar, if less soothing version of the same game.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 23, 2007, 12:44:28 am
This game drove me nuts on so many meta-levels it was disturbing.
Do the dots have choices? Am I dot?Am i the white dot or a colored dot? Does it matter? Is this how society forms? Just dots crashing and joining in their crashing? Is this how networking works? Is this what disease looks like? What if they saw this before the black death? Would they know what it means? What if this is the question to everything? What if this is the answer to everything? What if its just a game?
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2007, 12:49:20 am
I definitely can't get past 206. I cannot figure this out at all. I'm always off by a couple.

But it's so pretty! so very very pretty.

I don't get it. But then... "what is Making Sense?"

wait.... now it decided that I lose? I got 267. Somehow.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: jaydub on March 23, 2007, 01:03:52 am
274

I had a train of thought along the lines of a juuuust subcritical mass of fissile material.  Come on little neutron - just move a little faster and the boomshine radius will enough to sustain the reaction!

p.s. Augie, that's hilarious.  The game is entirely in (Japanese?  Chinese?) until the final moment when you get over some score and it displays, COOL!
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: AugustWest on March 23, 2007, 01:21:08 am
281.  And Inev, you didn't lose, you just finished the last level.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2007, 02:41:05 am
oh. damn. I was hoping it went on forever.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 23, 2007, 05:05:19 am
It makes everything okay.


This game... makes everything okay.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: chuanoplast on March 23, 2007, 05:08:42 am
I suck at this game. How do you manage to get numbers in the upper two hundreds?
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: AugustWest on March 23, 2007, 05:16:34 am
Play through all 12 levels.  You pretty much can't avoid getting less than about 240...
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: robot_god on March 23, 2007, 05:46:37 am
This game is like the combat simulation in Ender's Game.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2007, 06:18:07 am
the only error: lack of the ability to turn off the music.

I decided to stop playing mid-way through and do some work. So I had to turn off the music.
Every few minutes, I'd think "oh, why don't I have any music going?" and I'd turn up the speaker, only to be confronted with the game and I'd have to play all the way to the end again.
This happened several times. 267 is my best I think.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 23, 2007, 06:59:36 am
There is a button you can click before the game starts, on the right side of the screen, to turn off the sound.
Title: Re: Happy little time waster
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 23, 2007, 12:20:26 pm
I thought that the little noises it makes when you burst a light were part of the music until about the fifth level.

And I suppose, in a way, they are.