The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on March 23, 2007, 03:19:21 am

Title: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 23, 2007, 03:19:21 am
This is getting better and better. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03232007)
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 23, 2007, 03:23:14 am
That rack of DVDs works the exact way that not erasing your internet history frequently works.

The exact same way.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: mrchee on March 23, 2007, 03:28:02 am
teodor is like a junky for the "How to weep" tutorial
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: mrchee on March 23, 2007, 03:29:45 am
That rack of DVDs works the exact way that not erasing your internet history frequently works.

Heheh he said "rack." 



Hey, we ARE talking about porn here
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: mrchee on March 23, 2007, 03:30:16 am
SUCCESS!

Negative cans!  Eat that, jough
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: V-Adore on March 23, 2007, 03:36:14 am
Thus the flaw of Ray's plan is revealed: some people will rent anything that looks sufficiently strange, on the theory that, even if it's bad, it should at least be interesting. (This is why, among other things, I have watched a Danish cannibalism comedy, as well as three Frogtown films.)
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: dejavroom on March 23, 2007, 03:37:24 am
I would *have* to take a look at that damn DVD, of course. It lures you the fuck in. Also: I find it marvelous that the "punchlne/explanation" of the strip is "the titles actually connect powerfully with a certain mindset".
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: theinevitable on March 23, 2007, 03:46:47 am
...I think the joke is that he wants to watch it because it is perfectly designed for Gay dudes. He is going to end up loving it. Maybe?

I think by the end, every character on Achewood will be gay. including the Toddler Update girl.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Omegatron on March 23, 2007, 04:03:20 am
No one else is wondering who the weepy guy is?
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: guns and cigarettes on March 23, 2007, 04:07:40 am
I note that Ray is wearing a jeweler's magnifying glass thing in panels two and three to carefully analyze the covert gay porn product.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: AugustWest on March 23, 2007, 04:29:01 am
I'll hit you with a rock.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: hound on March 23, 2007, 04:40:03 am
oh whoa, a new comic!
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 23, 2007, 05:07:15 am
Those fake DVD covers connect very powerfully to my mindset. This is why I have to go to video stores with people that can stop me from renting "Calamari Wrestlers."
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: coldfrog on March 23, 2007, 05:11:11 am
"Calamari Wrestlers"? I have to see it.

I must see it NOW.   NETFLIX DELIVER!
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Doc on March 23, 2007, 07:32:05 am
Once again a great mind is defeated by indie-style irony.

I would totally watch that video too.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: rfillingh on March 23, 2007, 07:35:42 am
No.  You do not choose that video.  Put it back down.  

Also: Can it beat out Ebi Boxer (http://www.albatros-film.com/movie/ebi/)?  
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: pubdoggy on March 23, 2007, 09:34:31 am
I note that Ray is wearing a jeweler's magnifying glass thing in panels two and three to carefully analyze the covert gay porn product.

Oh THAT'S what that is. I didn't notice it til panel 3 and then thought it was a sort of old-school eyes popping out on stalks kind of thing - which really didn't sit well (made me do a little bit of sick in my mouth). I think the seed for that was planted by "ZOINKS!" in panel one which led me to think that each of the exclamatory flashes on the packs (Zoinks, Unreleased, Hot Pick) could well be code for the content of the vid. Zoinks = DP, Hot Pick = Virgin Talent, Rent one get one free = Lucky Pierre scenes - and so on.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Bimmicus on March 23, 2007, 11:22:57 am
Pat is going to be BUSY. For SEVERAL DAYS. In a NEARBY TOWN.

Love this one.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: wombat on March 23, 2007, 12:07:54 pm
Those fake DVD covers connect very powerfully to my mindset. This is why I have to go to video stores with people that can stop me from renting "Calamari Wrestlers."

That wasn't such a bad movie.  Well, for a movie about squid.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: CortJstr on March 23, 2007, 12:51:16 pm
"Calamari Wrestlers"? I have to see it.

I must see it NOW.   NETFLIX DELIVER!

My first thought is that this must be tentacle hentai.

Is Pat pocketing something? Or maybe pulling out his invitation to the nearby lecture series?
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Roger on March 23, 2007, 01:19:05 pm
Once again a great mind is defeated by indie-style irony.

Yes, this plan would never work on those hip folks who "get" Achewood.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: jaydub on March 23, 2007, 03:59:26 pm
Is Pat pocketing something? Or maybe pulling out his invitation to the nearby lecture series?

I was wondering about that as well - upon further review, I think he's examining the DVD that was in the case he was holding in the previous frame.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Drastic Action on March 23, 2007, 04:00:48 pm
My first thought is that this must be tentacle hentai.

Is Pat pocketing something? Or maybe pulling out his invitation to the nearby lecture series?

Indeed, panel three is confusing me.  Is he pulling something out or putting something in?  And the case he had in his hand -- it seems he gave it to ray, but there is also a new case suddenly on the table in front of him. 
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 23, 2007, 04:03:19 pm
I assumed he was pocketing the DVD, his lecture series being a less-than-convincing cover for a lengthy porn session.

He's most certainly pulling the neck of his jumper down.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Panopticon on March 23, 2007, 05:17:37 pm
I love that to Ray it is so incomprehensible that one could choose the phony weeping tutorial over Top Gun and, even more so, over his own personal Citizen Kane that is Braveheart. 

But... Braveheart... with the face paint... and the kilt-mooning...
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Enkidu on March 23, 2007, 09:16:10 pm
No one else is wondering who the weepy guy is?
I bet its Warehouse Guy, and hes weeping because Onstad said he couldn't have any of his bacon.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: wombat on March 23, 2007, 09:18:38 pm
I bet its Warehouse Guy, and hes weeping because Onstad said he couldn't have any of his bacon.

Oh, that is the saddest thing!
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: IdiotIdiotIdiot on March 24, 2007, 01:13:48 pm
.....Urine?
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: side_show on March 24, 2007, 03:07:46 pm
The Dane goes right to thinking it's piss.  What does this say?

Also Idiot x 3, just so you know, a bowling game between the people I work for and the visiting company for Denmark was played to determin ownership of the Hans Island, and my Canadian counterparts won.  Sorry.  We'll just be taking that island now.

Enkidu is spot-on about the lack of shared bacon.  And you know how bacon smells up a joint.  It would be so obvious that there was bacon present, and that said bacon was not being shared.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: IdiotIdiotIdiot on March 24, 2007, 04:43:09 pm
These visiting companies have a lot to answer for, minuscule, insignificant islands are all we have, enough with the bowling allready! We talked about this.

Any change you played for the Faroe Islands too?

..and that bacon thing came right at me, i had to swing



/edit: subtle hint gotten, Liberace is out, raygun is in for now.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: linnea on March 24, 2007, 06:25:45 pm
Have I already talked about how much I fuck*ng love that Liberace avatar?? Damn. I crack up every time I see it.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: side_show on March 24, 2007, 06:46:04 pm
Have I already talked about how much I fuck*ng love that Liberace avatar?? Damn. I crack up every time I see it.

Yeah, that is really primo.  Liberace is fun.  Order your beach towels now! (http://www.iloveliberace.com/beach%20towels%20Liberace/towels30000super.htm)

Hans Island was the only one on the chopping block.  But  these guys  (http://www.mtyp.ca/htmlfiles/On_Stage/Hamlet.asp)were too busy looking sexy in their well fitted blue jeans.  You'd think that would be the sort of distraction that would cause us to lose, but somehow we perservered.

So back to the topic at hand... What is reference to "a nearby town" clearly it's an excuse/cover, but I don't really get it... does Pat have some dark secret that's going to be revealed, like he reads to Orphans or something?
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: V-Adore on March 24, 2007, 07:04:33 pm
I just assumed it was an "I'm sorry, but I have to rotate my tires that night / I have to wash my hair / my cat just exploded / I'm planning to have the flu that weekend" bullshit excuse, and I assume that's how Ray took it, too. Just wait; he'll have actually gone to a lecture series in a nearby town...
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 24, 2007, 07:06:34 pm
I stand by my belief that he is slipping away to spend some quality time with his pornography. But a small part of me will remain ever hopeful that we will one day see Pat reading to children.

(Once they've filled in the appropriate application forms, obviously.)
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 24, 2007, 07:31:34 pm
So after more than once person comments how awesome his avatar is, dude cold changes it - instantly.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Drastic Action on March 24, 2007, 08:08:14 pm
Wouldn't want to appeal to the masses, now would he?  ;D

Also, if pat is indeed sneaking away with a dvd he took out of the case, it is the most square dvd I have ever seen, even though it should be the most obvious reason for his hasty departure.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: linnea on March 24, 2007, 09:15:55 pm
/edit: subtle hint gotten, Liberace is out, raygun is in for now.

I wasn't being sarcastic!! Why'd you change it? :(
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: side_show on March 24, 2007, 10:14:28 pm
Yeah, I wasn't kidding either.  I spent some quality time looking at fun photos of Liberace after that last post...  Oh well.  Remember Duck Hunt?  I heard a rumour that it's coming out as a Wii game.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: wombat on March 24, 2007, 10:15:53 pm
People! Stop changing your avatars! Can I not have some certainty in this life!
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: theinevitable on March 24, 2007, 10:22:58 pm
Quote
Remember Duck Hunt?  I heard a rumour that it's coming out as a Wii game.

Also: Katamari Damacy.

It is all over for me.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: linnea on March 25, 2007, 08:23:05 am
Also: Katamari Damacy.

It is all over for me.

WHAAAAT?????

Katamari Damacy, the funnest game of all time...is going to come out as a Wii game??

Fuck yes. I'm hocking a kidney on eBay to finance a Wii posthaste. Awesome.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Teatime on March 25, 2007, 10:31:37 am
EDIT: Text removed on account of it was retarded and I was drunk.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 25, 2007, 04:09:32 pm
WHAAAAT?????

Katamari Damacy, the funnest game of all time...is going to come out as a Wii game??

Fuck yes. I'm hocking a kidney on eBay to finance a Wii posthaste. Awesome.

I have never wanted to play this game because the name sounds to me like Calamari Democracy, and I imagine it involves mostly setting up free and fair elections for squid.
Title: Re: 23 March 2007 - A nearby town?!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 25, 2007, 04:18:24 pm
Or worse, it would be like the best tasting squid ever, rumoured to be let out for public consumption for fifteen years and... every once in a while, someone claims to taste a little and says it is AMAZING but those claims are quickly debunked and... pretty soon, no matter how tasty it turns out to be, it will not live up to the expectations at all.