The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on March 26, 2007, 08:50:42 pm

Title: 100 Mile eating
Post by: side_show on March 26, 2007, 08:50:42 pm
I've been thinking seriously about joining this group (http://www.100milemanitoba.org/) and taking the challenge this fall.  It's a really intersting idea, but also a bit terrifying.  That said, I totally love gardening, and the idea of learning to can and preserve is so quaint and salt-of-the-earth that I think it could be pretty cool.  I'm really into the whole slow-food way of cooking to begin with.  An awesome weekend could be making and freezing home made pasta made of local grains.  I would enjoy this so very much!  The idea of living off frozen/canned food for all of winter is gross, gross, gross to me, though!  Root vegetables and squashes will keep without freezing.  The challenge is only for 100 days from Sept to Dec...  I can see implementing the practice without being a stickler after that though.  Plus the org. is based walking distance to my neighborhood, which is a big plus.

Anyone think I'm insane?  Anyone done this or interested in trying it out? 

In a crazy way, what I want is to know is that if civilization as we know it ends tomorrow, I can still sustain and even thrive.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: slink on March 26, 2007, 09:09:29 pm
I don't know. I think the limits would drive me crazy after a week or so. I try to eat as much local food as possible, and I like the idea behind it, morally. But as I say, if it's limited to just this...
If you can source a good charcutery within 100 miles of you for instance, then maybe...
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2007, 09:14:04 pm
Oh man, I could never do this. I shop at the farmer's markets as much as I can all summer, but basically, I know that I am screwed if civilization ends. I have absolutely no useful skills, and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

Also, civilization is just marginal enough in my neighborhood that freezing stuff wouldn't work for the long run.  As soon as I have a full freezer we always have one of those infuriating power outages where my block is dark but I can look out the window and see the traffic lights on the corner and the whole downtown still lit up.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: linnea on March 27, 2007, 02:46:33 am
I keep asking women here to teach me how to smoke, prepare, and can salmon and make blueberry jam, but it hasn't come to fruition yet. I haven't actually pestered them at the right time of year. I'd like to learn how to do it, though.

And Ash... if you were at my house, those tomatoes would be used up DAMN FAST. A couple batches of homemade curry, and a batch of homemade spaghetti sauce would use them up right quick. I love tomatoes. Someday I'll live someplace where I can grow them myself and can them at the end of the summer.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 27, 2007, 02:53:18 am
The idea of self-sufficient life skills has always been of interest to me. So much so that I do it for lengths of time such as a week on the Appalachian Trail (next trip possibly 2 weeks this June). So to that end, I encourage your pursuit.

I looked at the website and I'm still not clear how getting locally grown food is of benefit. Is it just the idea of eating fresh produce and supporting local farmers?
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: side_show on March 27, 2007, 03:48:56 am
The idea of self-sufficient life skills has always been of interest to me. So much so that I do it for lengths of time such as a week on the Appalachian Trail (next trip possibly 2 weeks this June). So to that end, I encourage your pursuit.

I looked at the website and I'm still not clear how getting locally grown food is of benefit. Is it just the idea of eating fresh produce and supporting local farmers?

Totally.  Also, knowing and meeting farmers is a community building act,  as is the group itself.  If you get to know the food producers themselves, better food choices can be made.  This is the magic of farm folk, who I've spent a lot of time with already with both the SO and I being first generation city kids - when you have a relationship with the person who grew/raised the food, you get the inside track:  the red peppers are nice and sweet this year, the cabbage has some sort of blight and isn't keeping well, this chickens only good for stewing... etc.  They also argue that food safety is less of a concern (not sure if I believe this, unless you grow it yourself, there's no way of really knowing.  Is a larger farm more or less likely to maintain safety standards?  I don't know.)  The linked sites also talk about a reduced ecological footprint, as purchasing more locally reduces transportation of goods and related pollution.

Also, Ash, I must agree with linnea - what world do you live in where there is too much tomato anything?  Isn't the idea of canning that it'll keep til it's needed?  Or am I wrong?

(edit:  also, there is a theory that it is healthiest to eat food native to where your ancestors are from.  Mine are from right where I lived, hence another benifit)
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: theinevitable on March 27, 2007, 04:52:32 am
well, yeah. Kind of like how it makes more sense to buy everything at a huge discount from Sam's Club, in crate-portions. I think there is a Seinfeld episode that deals with this, re: buying 4 gallons of Heinz ketchup.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: jaydub on March 27, 2007, 10:05:30 pm
also, there is a theory that it is healthiest to eat food native to where your ancestors are from.  Mine are from right where I lived, hence another benifit.

You're of Cree descent?
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: Nabubrush on March 28, 2007, 12:42:28 am
If you guyzos can contemplate massive quantities of  tomatoes over days or weeks then cool, it's a deal for you. Me, I'd start wondering if housecat was any good.

Oh, never turn down housecat. Delicious!
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: side_show on March 28, 2007, 04:17:00 am
You're of Cree descent?

Metis if you want to split hairs, but yeah I am of predominantly Cree/French blood. 
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2007, 10:14:42 pm
Someday I'll live someplace where I can grow them myself and can them at the end of the summer.

Or if you lived here, at the start of the summer.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2007, 10:18:45 pm
If you guyzos can contemplate massive quantities of  tomatoes over days or weeks then cool, it's a deal for you.

I eat tomatoes virtually every meal.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: jaydub on March 28, 2007, 11:42:35 pm
Wouldn't Thomas Jefferson be proud?
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 28, 2007, 11:47:17 pm
Absolutely. TJ wanted America to be an entire nation of agrarian farmers who never had the time to be lazy or get on each others nerves.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2007, 01:24:31 am
the concept of "not having time to be lazy" is hilarious. Is this just me?
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: Nabubrush on March 29, 2007, 01:26:59 am
the concept of "not having time to be lazy" is hilarious. Is this just me?

You make time to be lazy.
Title: Re: 100 Mile eating
Post by: Lister on March 30, 2007, 04:44:42 am
Lazy makes time for me.