The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: ananke on March 28, 2007, 04:29:42 am

Title: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: ananke on March 28, 2007, 04:29:42 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03282007 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03282007)

This one made me laugh out loud, hard, at every panel. Even if the arc ended here I would consider it a good arc.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 28, 2007, 04:34:09 am
I forgive Onstad for the gay porn arc. This is hilarious. Dudes back at my old school would watch porn like it was just a basic day and it went basically exactly like this, including the beers and witty commentary.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2007, 04:34:29 am
I'm considering sending a link to every homophobe I know.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: Roger on March 28, 2007, 04:36:58 am
I almost started the thread with the title "I'm straighter than John Wayne voting for Reagan on a hoss". But your choice was my second best.

So there, for all of us who for a moment questioned Ray's heterosexuality.

Funny thing is that it's easy to see homosexual undertones in macho movies like "Braveheart". Ray, on the other hand, just looks for the "Braveheart" in gay porn.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 28, 2007, 04:38:22 am
I would'a gone with "like watchin' the moonwalk" because I am sort of in the "a subject line should suggest the strip indirectly" camp but... y'know... a strip like this, the on-the-nose approach works from a certain point of view.*

I never expected such a useful dissection of what's ridiculous about NASCAR in relation to two straight dudes watching gay porn but... then again... they feel the way about gay porn that I feel about NASCAR, so The Buddha would approve at the full-circleness of the whole affair.

NASCAR looks crazy and wrong to me but, what the hell, the crowd seems to love the shit out of it.

*I am being ironically over-analytical about analyzing the analysis of talking cartoon cats.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: Nabubrush on March 28, 2007, 04:46:29 am
I was kind of hoping for "at least SOMEBODY'S havin' fun!"
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 28, 2007, 04:58:58 am
I just realized Ray was referring to the dance Moonwalk and not the walk on the moon. Originally I pictured Ray watching the moon landing thinking it was strange and wrong, then delighting in Armstrong's enjoyment of the moon.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: ack-47 on March 28, 2007, 05:02:04 am
Quote
at least SOMEBODY'S havin' fun!

Michael Jackson?
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: chuanoplast on March 28, 2007, 05:04:45 am
I love how nonchalant Ray and Beef are in the last panel, both sittin' there bein' straight.

This reminds me of one of my male friends who is so secure in his straightness that he can forget that he's wearing a granny dress and fuzzy hat while watching Dreamgirls with two gay men and a lady.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: theinevitable on March 28, 2007, 05:08:34 am
man. The guys on my floor are big fans of watching porn.

Also, for a while we were big on setting people's homepage on Firefox to a website that was just a video loop... of a guy getting nailed in the butt. up close. his member was swinging in a circle, and that song that goes like "you spin me right round, baby, right round--like a record baby..." played loudly.
after the first few times, we'd just sit there laughing and watching it. people competed to see how many spins they could count before they started laughing, &c.

so yeah.
They also love watching "Pirates," the highest-budgeted porn ever made. It is so bad. And also... I mean... the sex is so bad. It isn't something I can enjoy... I just laugh.
I also feel awkward when someone on the film does something, and guys go "oh my god! I can't believe they're doing that!" and I'm thinking "really? that's pretty vanilla. that is a basic porn move."

"I'M THE GREATEST PIRATE HUNTER EVER! AGHHH! *ejaculates*"
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: ack-47 on March 28, 2007, 05:10:01 am
Also, for a while we were big on setting people's homepage on Firefox to a website that was just a video loop... of a guy getting nailed in the butt. up close. his member was swinging in a circle, and that song that goes like "you spin me right round, baby, right round--like a record baby..." played loudly.

It is a variation on meatspin, and the nailee is a transsexual.

The more you know.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: coldfrog on March 28, 2007, 05:22:36 am
I love the fact that Onstad is using gay porn to serve as the common comparison in personalities between the different characters.  Most literary types would use the reaction to something ordinary such as a funeral or an expensive hamburger, but nothing brings out the true character like a man and his buddy watching another man suddenly start playing the lady's role.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: theinevitable on March 28, 2007, 05:23:10 am
yeah, it is meatspin .com.
there are, on that site, links to other sites which are much worse. in terms of... just... things I didn't need to know could be done.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: V-Adore on March 28, 2007, 05:25:18 am
Beef analyzing the gay porn is the best thing ever. If this is the end of the arc, I'll be quite pleased.

Are we supposed to contrast this with Teodor's awkward reaction and draw conclusions from it, incidentally? Really obvious conclusions?
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 28, 2007, 05:28:57 am
I sent the meatspin link to my roommate under the title "A-CAP Bans Alcohol".
He threw off his headphones, called me a dick, and stormed out of the room.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 28, 2007, 06:27:49 am
Hah, impossible. A-CAP requires alcohol to function, much like it requires a certain number of high-diving suicides per semester.

I bet they've found a way to ban smoking, though.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 28, 2007, 06:36:10 am
They did ban smoking in all dorms and something like 25 feet around every building. All windows are bolted and the stairs in the library have giant plexiglass guards to prevent suicide. I was put on probation my first week here because I drank a beer with a guy down the hall, and my friend is "persona non grata" from all property of A-CAP because he got drunk one night and an RA saw him stumble into a poster about oppression in third world nations.
This is either A-CAP or the little town in Footloose.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: ack-47 on March 28, 2007, 07:07:42 am
I sent the meatspin link to my roommate under the title "A-CAP Bans Alcohol".
He threw off his headphones, called me a dick, and stormed out of the room.

Canned, you magnificent reactionary bastard.

I can't even imagine college without alcohol. I prefer pot, but my first strong memory of the dorms in which I now live was waking up in one covered in vomit and wearing someone else's clothes. (On second thought, calling that a strong memory is probably an overstatement.) You basically only get cracked down on for bringing Substances into your room if your RA is a huge dick or if you are. Then again, my fiancee and I aren't big drinkers and parties are boring if you're not single, so I don't know too well from experience.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2007, 11:17:23 am
This don't make you gay any more than watchin' NASCAR makes you a good driver.

Tragically too long for a thread title, I guess.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: jough on March 28, 2007, 12:18:49 pm
The line would have been funnier as "any more than watching NASCAR makes you a white trash hick" but I get the idea.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: dejavroom on March 28, 2007, 12:33:40 pm
Ok, they're watching gay porn and discussing it. That's no biggie. What really threw me off in the last strip was that Ray said that he was gonna try getting off to it, which is in no way hetero, no matter how much you try to see it as a wacky dare fueled on the buzz of the challenge (That might be, incidentally, the exact line where zany flamboyance transforms into flaming gaytude).
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 28, 2007, 12:50:19 pm
Surely "getting off" doesn't have to be sexual?

I mean, obviously Onstad is well aware that is has those connotations, but that doesn't mean that has to be the intended sense. Doesn't it fit Ray's character pretty well that he should use orgasm as a metaphorical expression of his enjoyment of pretty much anything?
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: dejavroom on March 28, 2007, 12:59:26 pm
It Makes Sense.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: robot_god on March 28, 2007, 02:00:19 pm
to get off (2 get offff) - to have some fly times that are either mellow or hyped


Beef was so bewildered that Ray was watching gay porn, that he had to put on a tie to confront him.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2007, 02:01:24 pm
The line would have been funnier as "any more than watching NASCAR makes you a white trash hick" but I get the idea.

No, it's better as it is. Like, watching gay porn can't TURN you gay, either. Or watching NASCAR cause you to actually learn to drive well.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 28, 2007, 03:01:18 pm
I personally would like to see at least one more strip on Teodore and maybe one confrontational scene betwixt Pat and Ray.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: ananke on March 28, 2007, 04:57:06 pm
I personally would like to see at least one more strip on Teodore and maybe one confrontational scene betwixt Pat and Ray.

I personally would like it if every time someone used the word "betwixt" they had to pay a fine
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Drastic Action on March 28, 2007, 05:42:54 pm
I personally would like it if every time someone used the word "betwixt" they had to pay a fine

Then you'd have to include 'whilst' also.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: jaydub on March 28, 2007, 06:21:15 pm
Beef was so bewildered that Ray was watching gay porn, that he had to put on a tie to confront him.

That wasn't the way I took it - I just thought Beef had been doing some coding and was wearing his work clothes.  You can tell he's pretty chill with the whole thing by the end because he didn't take the opportunity to bail when he was getting his beer.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Formica on March 28, 2007, 06:24:57 pm
I personally would like to see at least one more strip on Teodore and maybe one confrontational scene betwixt Pat and Ray.

I would like a copy of People Magazine. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11212001)
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: coldfrog on March 28, 2007, 07:28:51 pm
Then you'd have to include 'whilst' also.

As well as "Forthwith."
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: iron_felix on March 28, 2007, 10:31:49 pm
My own colloquialisms are a weird amalgam resulting from my growing up in the South and my mom's family's being from Derbyshire.  That and reading too much Kerouac.  An interesting combination, to say the least, but it was only recently that I learned that "whilst" is considered archaic.  I had been using "whilst," "amongst," and "amidst" pretty much exclusively before that.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: hammish on March 28, 2007, 10:44:47 pm
As a gay guy, I feel I should have substantive contributions for this thread... but y'all have covered the basics (some explicitly-stated, some inferred by me):
Well done!
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 28, 2007, 10:49:37 pm
Why is everybody hating on betwixt? Odd diction is what makes life interesting, besides friends and family and stuff like that.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 28, 2007, 10:56:34 pm
Quote from: RMJ12345
Why is everybody hating on betwixt? Odd diction is what makes life interesting, besides friends and family and stuff like that.

Hell of yes, basically.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Enkidu on March 28, 2007, 11:42:25 pm
I love the way Ray says, "atleast SOMEBODY'S havin' fun!", like hes just throwing his arms up in disgust of the moonwalk.  For a Man Who Gets Things Done, making the walking motion without actually accomplishing any movement is just completely ridiculous.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: jaydub on March 28, 2007, 11:51:05 pm
Another observation about how totally unthreatened Beef is by the porn* : he doesn't even have his arms crossed in front of himself.  They're draped behind him over the arm of the chair -totally exposing his soft underbelly without concern.

*I had to re-type this at least 3 times.  Internet slang is compelling me to render it as pr0n
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: ack-47 on March 29, 2007, 03:56:00 am
Another observation about how totally unthreatened Beef is by the porn* : he doesn't even have his arms crossed in front of himself.  They're draped behind him over the arm of the chair -totally exposing his soft underbelly without concern.

Gay porn has nothing but the best of intentions for your soft underbelly. Only a fool would think otherwise. Beef is no fool.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 29, 2007, 04:05:36 am
There is something about Ray's expression in the fourth panel, along with the words themselves, "Somebody says I'm gay, I'll just sit here bein' straight, and they'll be wrong", that just makes it the most serene, calm, confident statement of one's sexuality imaginable. Ray stone cold doesn't care what people who are wrong think. I absolutely love it.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: chuanoplast on March 29, 2007, 04:38:00 am
As well as "Forthwith."

"Moreover" would be a fineable word as well.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic
Post by: Drastic Action on March 29, 2007, 06:18:13 am
Heh, indeed.  I definitely have used such words, and will probably use them again when the time is right.  I probably wouldn't actually say betwixt or whilst out loud (when typing, I use a lot more vocabulary, as in person I am significantly more monosyllabic).  But I feel absolutely no shame with amongst or amidst in any situation, thems is just fine bah me.

Also, indubitably is a word that no one can say out loud without sounding funny, so you had better be saying it in jest.
Title: Re: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 29, 2007, 11:36:39 am
I'm pretty sure I use all of these words pretty regularly, with the exception of "betwixt". I'm pretty sure I use them in distinct situations, so I'll say "while" when I'm talking about two things that are happening at the same time and "whilst" when I'm talking about, say, two ideas I hold concurrently (as in, "Whilst sitting around watching porn with your friends is perhaps socially acceptable in many groups, in my own it would be weird as hell."). I'm not saying there's an actual denotational or connotational difference, that's just how it happens with me (and, I suspect, with quite a few others.)

I think the reason I don't use "betwixt" is because I rarely think of things between other things with that kind of nuance.