The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on March 29, 2007, 05:52:39 am

Title: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 29, 2007, 05:52:39 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03292007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03292007)

The teddy bear is not comfortable enough to sit down. Make note of this.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: chuanoplast on March 29, 2007, 06:01:27 am
Even if any porn had a celebrity bursting through the walls shrieking his/her head off about the ongoing apocalyptic war outside, I still would not watch it unless all parties were fully clothed and decent.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 29, 2007, 06:04:26 am
More shit to fastforward through? Are you kidding me? I don't need damn celebrity one to give me even more wasted minutes in my pornography. GET TO THE SNUGGLING ALREADY. WARM SHEETS AND SPOONING.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: isunklower on March 29, 2007, 06:08:13 am

The teddy bear is not comfortable enough to sit down. Make note of this.

I was too busy making note of the horrible singsong voice and swaying. 

Téodor's sexuality gets ever more confusing (or ever less, possibly).
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: ryanpeq on March 29, 2007, 06:13:59 am
what'd teodor actually get yelled at for?  watching gay porn in front of philippe, i guess?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: oball on March 29, 2007, 06:15:54 am
He got yelled at for insinuating that Superman would wear a police hat in the shower.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: iron_felix on March 29, 2007, 06:44:41 am
The plot thickens.

What's with Téodor's eyes in panels two and three?  Is he just using a really mellow singsong voice?

Also, tomorrow I will find a way to work "hung like Saddam Hussein" into an actual conversation.  Preferably one that has absolutely nothing to do with man-parts until I bring it up.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: isunklower on March 29, 2007, 06:59:29 am
Téodor's eyes are always generally pretty terrifying - I suppose as a reflection of his soulless, stuffed animal nature - but perhaps he has been hittin' the weed weed.  I imagine he needed to take the edge off after his confrontation with Philippe (although I imagine pretty much every conversation w/ Philippe could end that way). 

I guess it depends on how he's sing-songing those words.  I imagined it pretty mincing before, but now I've got this heavy reggae backbeat in my head.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Doc on March 29, 2007, 07:08:48 am
Maybe the singsong voice is a thing they do when someone gets yelled at by phillipe since phillipe yelling at you is basically as terrifying as being savaged by a sleepy duckling.

I note that 'Stad made sure that each dude was chilling with one hand behind the chair, I believe this is because in the first iteration of the comic they were resting their hands on their laps out of view and this was far too open to Interpretations.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2007, 07:44:53 am
yeah, I would definitely need some pot after being yelled at by phillipe.

Note to self: if a guy asks you "dude...you ever smoke up?" the answer should not be "I dunno, not really..."
this will be a really obvious case of "I am uncomfortable with this question, but I am trying hard to seem cool and nonchalant."
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: robot_god on March 29, 2007, 07:49:32 am
This strip is the moneystrip.  Hella good jokes.

Is Teodor doing a limp wrist move while saying 'hey guys'?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Doc on March 29, 2007, 09:50:46 am
Nah he's doing a hip pointing movement. Imagine his head moving slightly from side to side and his inter-racial pregnany girlfriend and you'd have it.

Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 29, 2007, 11:29:32 am
The teddy bear is not comfortable enough to sit down. Make note of this.

But he is comfortable enough to immediately go and stand as close as he can to both of his gay-porn watching friends.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: dejavroom on March 29, 2007, 11:35:48 am
I know this is probably not the effect Onstad was aiming towards, but two straight dudes watching gay porno for half an hour and making jokes about it... is just seven kinds of suspicious and or lame. It reeks of "Hey, I'm really uncomfortable with what I'm seeing, I'll cruise through this talking nonstop and I better act nonchalant and try some jokes too". The point being that doing that sort of thing for five or ten minutes would seem "normal", but keep going at it for half an hour...

Again, I know that's not what's really happening within the strips' "objective reality", where Ray is even getting new ideas for commercial opportunities, but this is just incomprehensible; it bespeaks of a level of distancing oneself from what one's watching that's just too Zen-like and unattainable for a basic dude like me. Watching people fuck*ng is not watching laundry being done.

But, anyway. Zany!
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 29, 2007, 01:34:49 pm
I like this strip! Yay for funny strips on my birthday!

I thought the T musical interlude was a little...queer (in all senses) though.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: melack on March 29, 2007, 02:44:03 pm
I know this is probably not the effect Onstad was aiming towards, but two straight dudes watching gay porno for half an hour and making jokes about it... is just seven kinds of suspicious and or lame. It reeks of "Hey, I'm really uncomfortable with what I'm seeing, I'll cruise through this talking nonstop and I better act nonchalant and try some jokes too". The point being that doing that sort of thing for five or ten minutes would seem "normal", but keep going at it for half an hour...

Again, I know that's not what's really happening within the strips' "objective reality", where Ray is even getting new ideas for commercial opportunities, but this is just incomprehensible; it bespeaks of a level of distancing oneself from what one's watching that's just too Zen-like and unattainable for a basic dude like me. Watching people fuck*ng is not watching laundry being done.

But, anyway. Zany!

Sounds like someone is beginning to question their own sexuality after reading about two cats watching gay porn for extended periods of time! They're cool with it if you are!
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: wombat on March 29, 2007, 02:50:30 pm
It's another Wombat is Laughably Out of It Thursday!

I am sure I would appreciate this strip and this thread title more if I had any real conception of Andy Kaufman. He's the one who's dead? A comedian?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: chuanoplast on March 29, 2007, 03:14:29 pm
We can be Laughably Out of It together, Wombat. I had to look up Andy Kaufman before understanding Beef's joke.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2007, 03:24:35 pm
It's another Wombat is Laughably Out of It Thursday!

I am sure I would appreciate this strip and this thread title more if I had any real conception of Andy Kaufman. He's the one who's dead? A comedian?

Yes a comedian. He was Latka on Taxi. Did the bit on SNL where he played a record of the Mighty penis theme and with great flourish would lip sync the "Here I come to save the day!" part while remaining motionless during the rest. Claimed to be the Inter-Gender Wrestling champion. Slapped Jerry "The King" Lawler when both were guests on Letterman. At various comedy shows he would just take a nap while the audience watched. Or would read The Great Gatsby out loud until everybody left.

Lots of people thought he faked his death as a joke. His character Tony Clifton would show up in public years after his death, presumably being played by friends like Zmuda.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 29, 2007, 03:24:44 pm
Really?

Andy Kaufman is very very high on my list of personal heroes.

Not in that highest tier with John Lennon, Kurt Vonnegut, Axl Rose and Philip K Dick...

But definitely in that second tier with Mick Foley and Michael Moore and so on.

One of the funniest people in human history, to the extent that I've been able to see human history.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: wombat on March 29, 2007, 03:35:21 pm
Yes a comedian. He was Latka on Taxi. Did the bit on SNL where he played a record of the Mighty penis theme and with great flourish would lip sync the "Here I come to save the day!" part while remaining motionless during the rest. Claimed to be the Inter-Gender Wrestling champion. Slapped Jerry "The King" Lawler when both were guests on Letterman. At various comedy shows he would just take a nap while the audience watched. Or would read The Great Gatsby out loud until everybody left.



One of the funniest people in human history, to the extent that I've been able to see human history.

Um. I guess you had to be there.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 29, 2007, 03:38:50 pm
It's another Wombat is Laughably Out of It Thursday!

I am sure I would appreciate this strip and this thread title more if I had any real conception of Andy Kaufman. He's the one who's dead? A comedian?

I just got hella depressed that there are now people young enough to not know of Lord Kaufman.

I must torrent you a copy of "The Andy Kaufman Show" S01E01 (of which there was no S01E02, and probably was never meant to be). It is possibly the only funny thing that has ever aired on PBS.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: dejavroom on March 29, 2007, 03:45:32 pm
Sounds like someone is beginning to question their own sexuality after reading about two cats watching gay porn for extended periods of time! They're cool with it if you are!

Does it? How cute. But really, no. It just strikes me as forceful and weird, one of those situations where you're clearly putting more into than you're getting out of it, like being present during the filming of an episode of one of those really unfunny Warner Brothers sitcoms. You and everybody else working on the set knows it is not funny, and yet they roll with it, they have kids to feed.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: CortJstr on March 29, 2007, 03:47:47 pm
Um. I guess you had to be there.

When Kaufman would perform it was a crapshoot whether you would see him doing comedy or performance art. Or a combination of the two.

A famous bit was he would come out as his Foreign Man character (basically Latka from Taxi if you watched that show) and procede to do impressions. He'd do a series of them really, really poorly. He wouldn't change his voice or manerisms at all, and would usually get the persons catch-phrase wrong. Like he'd do Nixon and say, "I am ... I not a theif." Then, just when the audience was getting nice and pissed, he'd say he was going to do Elvis. And it would spot on. Like creepy accurate. Then he suddenly go back to Foreign Man and say, "dank you veddy much" and walk off.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: wombat on March 29, 2007, 03:51:06 pm
I just got hella depressed that there are now people young enough to not know of Lord Kaufman.

Ha - I feel like I've just been carded in a bar... Youth is not an excuse I can plausibly use, here.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 29, 2007, 03:52:07 pm
Does it? How cute. But really, no. It just strikes me as forceful and weird, one of those situations where you're clearly putting more into than you're getting out of it, like being present during the filming of an episode of one of those really unfunny Warner Brothers sitcoms. You and everybody else working on the set knows it is not funny, and yet they roll with it, they have kids to feed.

But are they really putting a lot of effort into watching, or just being the professional chillers that they are, with gay porn happening to be on the screen?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 29, 2007, 03:59:04 pm
Like he'd do Nixon and say, "I am ... I not a theif." Then, just when the audience was getting nice and pissed, he'd say he was going to do Elvis. And it would spot on. Like creepy accurate. Then he suddenly go back to Foreign Man and say, "dank you veddy much" and walk off.

And he'd do the Elvis routine for quite a while too ... at least a couple of entire songs, so that the audience got completely immersed in Elvisness. It just made the final shock even more so.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: dejavroom on March 29, 2007, 04:03:01 pm
But are they really putting a lot of effort into watching, or just being the professional chillers that they are, with gay porn happening to be on the screen?

I might not want to delve any further into this. Hell, I don't.

As for Kaufman: Here's his Midnight Special, Elvis and all: http://www.jonhs.net/freemovies/andy_kaufman_midnight_special.htm (http://www.jonhs.net/freemovies/andy_kaufman_midnight_special.htm)
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: hammish on March 29, 2007, 04:16:00 pm
I guess it depends on how he's sing-songing those words.  I imagined it pretty mincing before, but now I've got this heavy reggae backbeat in my head.

I note that he's sing-songing all in lower-case. With a few awfully tiny music notes interspersed among the normal ones. I call that a stoned stuffed bear.

Also, invoking Andy Kauffman in an Achewood strip is... well, it's like going to Sunday school only to find that Buddha is the substitute teacher and Mary Magdalene is in the front row and they get in a hair-pulling fight at juice time. That is to say, it's more than I ever hoped for.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2007, 04:29:13 pm
I hate Andy Kaufman.  I want to punch him in the pancreas.  How dare he belittle Jerry "the King" Lawler.  And he's disrespectful to the sacred memory of Elvis.

He does give a good reading of The Great Gatsby, though.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 29, 2007, 04:35:00 pm
Ha - I feel like I've just been carded in a bar... Youth is not an excuse I can plausibly use, here.

Heh ... I suppose it's not a function of youth anyway. After all, practically everyone has at least a working knowledge of the Three Stooges whether they're 15 or 75, and last I checked they're not putting out much new material lately either. It is just a Sad Thing that Andy Kaufman's star is dimming in the world of pop culture.

Andy Kaufman is one of the people Who Died Young that I actually believe in my heart would have continued putting out truly brilliant material for decades. Cobain's sound would have gotten old fast (as it did for everyone else that copied him and the rest of Nirvana in the first place). Lennon would have ended up putting out sappy McCartney crap as he got older and mellower (and, worse, somehow managing to keep Yoko in the mix the entire time). Bill Hicks, I'm sure, would still be putting out kick-ass comedy albums, but that's all he'd be doing. But Kaufman ... he'd always be up to something new and crazy and super-intelligent. Or be Senator Kaufman.

(One of the only times I ever got carded in my life was on my 21st birthday. As a dude of intimidation (height x mass = grrr in the eyes of many), I was always assumed to be older. So when I finally became all Legal, I said "screw it" and left my driver's license at the dorm. But when we got to the bar, half the NYPD was in the park across the street conducting a massive drug sweep, so they were carding everyone hardcore if they appeared to be under 80. I wouldn't have cared so much except the dorm was a good ten blocks away from the bar, and I couldn't rationalize a cab for a "mere" ten blocks, so ... bah. BAH.)


Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2007, 06:41:07 pm
Quote
Cobain's sound would have gotten old fast

you take that back right now

a-so: I know of Kaufman because I caught a special on him when I was home alone in like 6th or 7th grade. I remember enthusiastically telling my mom about my new favorite comedian, and both of my parents declaring that they hate him. because he's an asshole.

sometimes I just don't get them at all.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: jaydub on March 29, 2007, 06:53:59 pm
I remember enthusiastically telling my mom about my new favorite comedian, and both of my parents declaring that they hate him. because he's an asshole.

They probably tried to heckle him back in the day and got pwned

Also, seconded on Cobain - but there's no way he'd still be alive even if he hadn't died that day in (1993?).  There was only one way that story was going to end.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: robot_god on March 29, 2007, 08:00:51 pm
My parents went to Kaufman's show at Carnegie Hall where afterword he took the entire audience to get cookies and milk.  Whenever Kaufman comes up for any reason, my dad is hella proud to talk about that show.

You party people should at least see Man on the Moon.  If not for Andy, at least because it was Jim Carey's only challenging role.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2007, 08:30:00 pm
If not for Andy, at least because it was Jim Carey's only challenging role.

Yep, and he pulled it off very well (I thought).  Just goes to show what the guy is capable of.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: isunklower on March 29, 2007, 08:41:13 pm
If not for Andy, at least because it was Jim Carey's only challenging role.

HOW DARE YOU

what of The Mask

WHAT OF IT



(Seriously, though, doing all those early, wretched comedies he did was probably very challenging.  Who among us could sincerely deliver the line, "Ssssssmokin'!!!" without wanting to light one's self on fire?  That takes chops, man.)
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: V-Adore on March 29, 2007, 10:03:51 pm
I've had "Man on the Moon" in my head the entire time reading this thread. Thank you, board.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: coldfrog on March 30, 2007, 02:17:03 am
Not in that highest tier with John Lennon, Kurt Vonnegut, Axl Rose and Philip K Dick...

Lennon, vonnegut, Philip K, OK, I'm good, I'm on the level here, all worthy as respectable and worthy people to model a life after (in general).  I fail to understand how being kind of annoying sounding and doing mostly so-so songs fits in with these others.  I mean, OK, he did write some good songs, but (and I confess to not know much about him) what has he done to put him in this top level?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: linnea on March 30, 2007, 02:26:10 am
Lennon, vonnegut, Philip K, OK, I'm good, I'm on the level here, all worthy as respectable and worthy people to model a life after (in general).  I fail to understand how being kind of annoying sounding and doing mostly so-so songs fits in with these others.  I mean, OK, he did write some good songs, but (and I confess to not know much about him) what has he done to put him in this top level?

I fuck*ng hate Axl Rose. This is coming from a kid who had all the GnR albums in middle school.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 30, 2007, 02:35:41 am
Axl Rose was an emotionally-damaged hick who blew into L.A. and... basically on the strength of his own supreme arrogance and madness... became a tornado of misdirected rage with a hundred million dollars to spare. Dolphins? Why not dolphins. Puffy shirts? Why NOT puffy shirts, indeed.

What was the Hunter S Thompson quote about "too weird to die?"

Becoming the Howard Hughes of rock n' roll is a weird thing but... it's something to aspire to.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: robot_god on March 30, 2007, 03:44:15 am
Lennon, vonnegut, Philip K, OK, I'm good, I'm on the level here, all worthy as respectable and worthy people to model a life after (in general).  I fail to understand how being kind of annoying sounding and doing mostly so-so songs fits in with these others.  I mean, OK, he did write some good songs, but (and I confess to not know much about him) what has he done to put him in this top level?

Many months ago LFM wrote a post that completely changed my opinion of Axl Rose.  You can probably find it if you search the boards for the word "ridiculous."
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: chuanoplast on March 30, 2007, 04:43:45 am
Is it this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2740.msg63048.html#msg63048) post?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2007, 04:57:16 am
Who is this "Axl Rose" of which you speak?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: chuanoplast on March 30, 2007, 05:04:25 am
He must be a wagon wheel hubcap carver from Oregon Trail 3.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: coldfrog on March 30, 2007, 05:20:31 am
He must be a wagon wheel hubcap carver from Oregon Trail 3.

Canned for completing the link from andy kaufman to Oregon Trail.
Hiram the Bartender offers you a drink.  Do you accept?
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: robot_god on March 30, 2007, 06:25:34 am
Is it this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2740.msg63048.html#msg63048) post?

Nice.  Hella impressive.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 30, 2007, 06:34:37 am
In a world where theorizing about Axl Rose were a useful thing, I would be the most useful person.
Title: Re: March 29, 2007 - Andy Kaufman good
Post by: Doc on March 30, 2007, 10:34:17 am
I hate Andy Kaufman.  I want to punch him in the pancreas.  How dare he belittle Jerry "the King" Lawler.  And he's disrespectful to the sacred memory of Elvis.
AW totally gets it.

I found Kaufman through man on the moon, bought the dvd, watched it and re-watched it. It infuriated me because I didn't get why the main character was completely moronic and unlikable for half the movie. Then I realised I was playing right into his hands.
Also Eternal Sunshine was a good role with Carrey, the dude's got chops, I'd like to see some more of that stuff. The mask was awesome though.