The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on April 02, 2007, 02:20:54 am

Title: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on April 02, 2007, 02:20:54 am
I would like to have a thread for the recipe of the week, from each poster (who is interested, and isn't going to be all Pat with polenta and rendered tofu bites).

Here's mine for this week, fueled by vodka and Black Sabbath (and thanks to those who participated in the Sabbath thread). (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2487.0.html)

Olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
bunch of diced garlic
2 1/2 cups rice
1 lb. pinto beans, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup BBQ sauce

tenderize oil, onion, pepper, garlic

add everything else and heat

roll up in tortillas

enjoy

I eat a lot of basically vegetarian meals. I never eat meat at home, but sometimes I eat chicken. The guy who deals with our landscaping is supposed to bring by some sturgeon tomorrow, which I am down with, because I agree with giraffe. We will see how it goes. This recipe is sort of boring, but it will get you through an evening. I threw in a bunch of red pepper.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: melack on April 02, 2007, 02:35:19 am
That sounds really good. I just had a slice of the worst pizza I've ever had in my life and it's just about made me want to become a vegetarian. So much disgusting, unnecessary meat on that thing. Uggghhh....
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2007, 03:20:47 am
I've been pretty much a vegatarian since the first of the year.  I didn't eat any meat until last Sunday.  We were having a birthday celebration for my daughter and my Mom and I grilled a leg o' lamb.  I ate some of that.  Also, I had a pork chop today.  I started eating giraffe occasionally about 2 weeks ago.

It's been surprisingly easy to do.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Lister on April 02, 2007, 03:35:31 am
I'm by no means vegitarian, but I have been eating the following for breakfast most days:

(All ingredients frozen - you think I'm chopping first thing in the morning?)

2 links Morningstar fake vegitarian sausage
some Potatoes O'Brien
1 Tblsp fat of your choice

Put the above in a small non-stick skillet and heat until the sausage is warmed through and the potatoes take on some color.  Chop the sausage up into bits, then add:

Some chopped spinach
Some Southwest Vegetable blend (Corn, onion, bell pepper, black beans)

Heat and stir until the veggies are warmed and onions turn translucent, then add:

An amount of egg-beaters or similar (Or a egg).

Stir vigorously, creating a hash, then remove from heat when eggs are done.

Eat as-is, or topped with avocado and cheese, or in tortillas as breakfast burritos.

I'm sorry there aren't measurements, but like chopping, measuring does not take place in the morning.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 02, 2007, 05:02:40 am
Sofrito is a Cuban condiment that is used to flavor just about everything. You can make it fresh, or freeze it in ice cube trays so that you can just pop a couple of cubes into soup or whatever. I like to use sofrito in guacamole, curry, crab dip, the black-eyed-pea salsa cruda that I make... just about everything.

There is a similar type of thing in many other cultures. I got to have Seder dinner at the home of a Yemeni Jewish fella in Hawaii, and they have something similar that they call "szug". It's delicious.

SOFRITO

Note: if you're using a food processor, you only have to roughly chop everything. If you're making this by hand, you've gotta mince EVERYTHING. Making this by hand was such a pain in the ass that I went out and spent $20 on a mini food processor at the grocery store, and it really helps.

1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, also called coriander leaves, chopped
4 aijes dulces (small, hot-sweet peppers that you can get at the grocery store produce section or at international markets)
1 or 2 large bell peppers (sweet, you can use green, red, yellow, orange, etc.), seeded and chopped
1 to 3 fresh hot peppers (you can use jalapeno, Anaheim, Scotch Bonnet, whatever), seeded and chopped (wear gloves or wash your hands THOROUGHLY when you're done... I have a funny story about a guy friend of mine who went to take a leak after chopping peppers...burnination ensued).
2 heads of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
Olive oil, about 1-5 Tbsp.
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender, adding more olive oil and/or water as necessary to blend into a smooth paste. Most families make this weekly.



BLACK EYED PEA SALSA CRUDA

1 can of black eyed peas, rinsed (I use the 15-ounce cans)
1 chopped and seeded sweet bell pepper
3 to 5 Tbsp. sofrito to taste
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: 1 avocado and a few cilantro leaves

Combine all ingredients except avocado in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving, slice the avocado in half and remove pit. Slice each avocado half into cubes, turn the skin inside-out to release cubes and gently fold them into the salsa cruda. Discard avocado skin. Top with cilantro leaves.

Serve as a dip with tortilla chips and crackers.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 02, 2007, 07:26:18 am

BLACK EYED PEA SALSA CRUDA

1 can of black eyed peas, rinsed (I use the 15-ounce cans)
1 chopped and seeded sweet bell pepper
3 to 5 Tbsp. sofrito to taste
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: 1 avocado and a few cilantro leaves

Combine all ingredients except avocado in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving, slice the avocado in half and remove pit. Slice each avocado half into cubes, turn the skin inside-out to release cubes and gently fold them into the salsa cruda. Discard avocado skin. Top with cilantro leaves.

Serve as a dip with tortilla chips and crackers.


My mom makes something like this.  It is amazing.

I have been a vegetarian for about 11 months.  When I started I said that I would probably eat really good meat occasionally, like at Christmas, Thanksgiving, b-days, etc.  I have eaten meat twice, both times drunk as all hell and with absolutely no other options.  I was starving.  Those were both at least 6 months ago, and while I still don't call myself a vegetarian in Real Life, I do find thought of eating meat basically discusting, for myself anyway.  I am pretty apathetic towards whether or not others want to eat meat, although I will tell others that it is very easy to go without if they ask.  One of my friends just became a vegetarian (it seems the majority now are) and always talks about it.  I work with him and if we do well enough we get like a company cookout.  He will say stuff like "oh, yeah, lets go eat some flesh, I AM A VEGETARIAN"  Even though I agree with him, that bothers me to no end.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2007, 02:06:32 pm
This is an excellent idea.

I have never eaten a sturgeon. I'm not even sure if I knew you ate them, aside from their eggs. Please report back.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on April 02, 2007, 08:17:17 pm
An excellent idea indeed! When I have access to my recipe box I'll post my great-grandma's Norwegian meatball recipe. In the meantime, here's an easy, tasty weekday recipe that's nice because all the quantities can be scaled to taste, and based on what you have on hand:

Soba Soup

Chicken breasts
Chopped onion
Minced garlic
Red pepper flakes
Freshly grated ginger
Chicken broth and either vegetable or beef broth (up to 6 cups; any broth that suits your taste will do)
Buckwheat soba noodles
Fresh spinach leaves
Scallion
Fresh cilantro

Season a couple of chicken breasts with salt and pepper and broil until done.

Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, saute onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes to taste. Add mushrooms and saute until golden. Add equal parts chicken broth and vegetable broth (or vegetable and beef, according to your preference). Simmer while chicken finishes cooking.

While broth is simmering, cook buckwheat soba noodles according to package directions. Drain well.

Chop some scallions and cilantro and set aside.

When chicken is done, remove from broiler and slice into strips.

Fill bowls with fresh spinach leaves. Top with cooked soba and ladle broth over. Top with chicken strips. Garnish with scallions and cilantro.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Teatime on April 02, 2007, 08:29:45 pm
Can desserts be posted up here, or should they have their own topic?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 02, 2007, 08:44:18 pm
Can desserts be posted up here, or should they have their own topic?

Dude! No, definitely post dessert recipes here. I posted my White Chocolate Blueberry Cheesecake in another general-recipe thread. Post dessert recipes here! :)
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2007, 08:47:13 pm
Of course dessert. Dessert is the most important meal of the day.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Teatime on April 02, 2007, 08:49:52 pm
Dessert being only one meal of the day is no way to live.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: V-Adore on April 02, 2007, 09:08:21 pm
For the record, is it cool for Dudes of Minimal Kitchen Skill to post very simple recipes, or will it be considered a total Hunt's move? (I'm not talking, like, Childhood Sandwich simple here, but things that are basically chicken preparations and such.)
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 02, 2007, 09:15:32 pm
Very simple recipes are like treasure.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: jough on April 03, 2007, 02:05:55 am
Here's my simple recipe for this week:

Cheerios aux fraises

1 1/2 cup Cheerios-brand cereal
1 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup fresh strawberries (optional)

Pour cereal into cereal bowl.  Pour milk over cereal.  De-stem strawberries and slice into 1/8in wafers.  Place on top.  Eat with spoon, concave side down.

Serve with a side of western omelette bacon, hash browns, toast, orange juice, cheesy grits, two buckwheat pancakes, challa bread french toast with bananas foster on top, sausage patties, a ham steak, and a pot of coffee.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 03, 2007, 02:18:49 am
Mac and Cheese del Aspiring Screenwriter

Follow the back of the box excepting:

Substitute for margarine with equal portion real unsalted butter.

Substitute skim milk for whatever liquid suggested, one-third less than recommended.

Slightly undercook the pasta so as to render it heavily al dente.

Fold into the cheese packet mixings a generous grind of black pepper and a good shot of garlic powder. If you have onion powder and/or pulverized parmesian cheese, throw some in there, too.

Serve with ketchup on top to taste. Best with milky coffee as the drink.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 02:25:31 am
I was with you until the ketchup part. No!

I used to chop up some actual onion really small and toss it in with the boiling pasta. Better than onion powder and you can call it one of your daily servings of vegetables, right?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2007, 05:22:18 am
Serve with a side of western omelette bacon, hash browns, toast, orange juice, cheesy grits, two buckwheat pancakes, challa bread french toast with bananas foster on top, sausage patties, a ham steak, and a pot of coffee.

Now that's a balanced breakfast!
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 05:33:05 am
As such a a college dude can offer his cookings---
I cook hot dogs and bacon in the same pan, slicing the hot dogs with "scores" halfway through to see if they are done. then I wrap the bacon around the hot dog and cover in beer-barbecue or jack-barbecue (name brands removed).
Also, my fave is he following:
cover pan in olive oil and margarine
lay bread down in pan
put american cheese, sliced ham, pepperoni, cheese, buttered bread on top.
flip when butter on top of sammich begins to melt.
Dip in tomato soup ( I add parsley and garlic)

This sammich is awesome with tomato soup. Different cheesses can alter the taste
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: robot_god on April 03, 2007, 08:06:37 am
One time I made a panini on the George ForemanŽ Grill.  You can use whatever you want to make the panini.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 12:13:26 pm
Ah, a very important thing about grilled cheese sammiches - they are inconceivably many times better if you spread the butter on the bread instead of melting it in the pan.  You must soften the butter first. Leave it out on the counter for a while or if you can't plan ahead, microwave it very carefully. Spread it on which ever sides of the bread you decide are the outside of the sandwich. You do not also need to butter the pan.

Also, A-CAP, I am horrified by the idea of the combination of olive oil and margarine - please reconsider.  Also in general there is no reason to ever use margerine for anything, since now we know it's not better for you than butter.  Also, if we banned this substance then we would not have to stare at the word 'margerine' and feel that it looks wrong no matter how it is spelled.

I am having trouble thinking of actual recipes to contribute. The only things I cook that are more or less original with me, I don't measure anything.  But if you take this advice about grilled cheese you will be much happier people.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2007, 03:03:29 pm
I am having trouble thinking of actual recipes to contribute. The only things I cook that are more or less original with me, I don't measure anything.  But if you take this advice about grilled cheese you will be much happier people.

QFT, on both counts.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 03:35:03 pm
Quoted because until Spouse showed me this I wondered what all the happy jazz was about a grilled cheese sammich. Huge difference my mother apparently didn't learn about. I had to grow up with half-assed grilled cheese's.

No direct recipe from me this early but I will lay out 2 of my biggest BBQ tips.

When you're cooking some tasty flesh that is easy to dry out and goes to ass, drink half a beer and then put the can (what!?!) on the back of the grill and close it in there. The additional moisture helps keep the surface from drying out as quickly. Grab the can with your tongs and slop a little on when you do a turn check. This is basically the same concept as beer can chicken except for the can up the body cavity gig.

ALSO: A lot of meats do better with indirect heat on the BBQ. Don't be afraid to make a foil drip pan to go under your meats. This will provide for an even heat and the pan will cut down on those food charring flare-ups.

ALSO: A marinade doesn't have to be a convoluted thing. A little lemon, pepper, garlic salt and basil and a half hour in a fridge pan can give you moist tasty bird with a light flavour.

ALSO: A few soaked wood chips of your choice add a little smokiness and help keep the humidity up as well.

As y'all can prolly tell, BBQ season has arrived for me 'round here.

(Yes, I can count but I got on a roll)

It's weird, in all our discussions on language and regional dialects I don't think we ever brought up the topic of calling a grill a BBQ.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2007, 03:47:56 pm
Quoted because until Spouse showed me this I wondered what all the happy jazz was about a grilled cheese sammich. Huge difference my mother apparently didn't learn about. I had to grow up with half-assed grilled cheese's.

No direct recipe from me this early but I will lay out 2 of my biggest BBQ tips.

When you're cooking some tasty flesh that is easy to dry out and goes to ass, drink half a beer and then put the can (what!?!) on the back of the grill and close it in there. The additional moisture helps keep the surface from drying out as quickly. Grab the can with your tongs and slop a little on when you do a turn check. This is basically the same concept as beer can chicken except for the can up the body cavity gig.

ALSO: A lot of meats do better with indirect heat on the BBQ. Don't be afraid to make a foil drip pan to go under your meats. This will provide for an even heat and the pan will cut down on those food charring flare-ups.

ALSO: A marinade doesn't have to be a convoluted thing. A little lemon, pepper, garlic salt and basil and a half hour in a fridge pan can give you moist tasty bird with a light flavour.

ALSO: A few soaked wood chips of your choice add a little smokiness and help keep the humidity up as well.

As y'all can prolly tell, BBQ season has arrived for me 'round here.

(Yes, I can count but I got on a roll)

Seconded on all counts.  I am the king of using indirect heat on larger pieces of meat. 

But dude, you left out the single most important grilling tip.  Made a huge difference in the quality of my cooking.

USE A PROBE THERMOMETER.


It makes it simple to know exactly when whatever you are cooking is done to perfection.  No guesswork, no cutting into the meat, no questions asked.  Easy as pie.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 03:54:21 pm
Dang you people, in a fit of insanity I decided that the only thing that would be satisfactory for lunch was macaroni and cheese from a box.  But to have it promptly I had to go to Whole Foods, so this may be a disappointment.  Although Annie's has now started to make a kind with orange cheese, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Drygioni on April 03, 2007, 04:07:19 pm
Judy's So Delicious Potato Bread

Make or acquire Potato Bread.

Import a tub of Bovril. Must be Bovril, Marmite can fuck off.


Alternatives: Judy's So-da-licious Soda Bread: Same as above, but use soda bread.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:07:23 pm
damn, not to cramp your style or anything but Annies is no good. Kraft is way better.

Maybe that's just because I'm all Nauseous and shit right now, though. Officially: being sick at College far from your Mommy is not fun at all.

At this stage in my life, most of my recipes are based on telling a person behind a counter what I would like, and then paying for it with my school ID. if you know what I'm saying, guys! am i rite? am I rite? I am a big fan, though, of the burrito my friends are horrified by: the Chicken Tender burrito. Chicken tenders chopped up, sour cream, salsa, and cheese. In a burrito.

Don't say I never gave you anything.

we have (in Charlotte) a panini press, and it is probably the most-used kitchen appliance at my house. We eat so many panini.

Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 05:41:33 pm
A panini press, thats what my life has been missing. Here I am like some kind of cromag using a pan when I could be enjoying delicious paninis in the comfort of my own apartment.
Also, my meal plan includes Chik-fil-a, quiznos, and "The American Grill" so cooking my own meal means forfeiting those options.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:51:29 pm
they have Chick-fil-A in NYC? Goddamn.

Apparently there is one in St Louis, but it isn't near me, or near a metro stop. So. I miss having my Chick-Fil-A Sandwich.

Yeah, Panini Press= The Best.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 05:56:49 pm
Well, orange Annie's is marginally better than the white kind. But you can still tell that it's not as unhealthy as what you really wanted.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 06:26:01 pm
they have Chick-fil-A in NYC? Goddamn.

Apparently there is one in St Louis, but it isn't near me, or near a metro stop. So. I miss having my Chick-Fil-A Sandwich.

Yea, and Im pretty sure the Chik-fil-a at the A-CAP Weinstein dining commons is the only one in new york. And you need an A-CAP ID to get in the building so its kind of like flipping the bird to any non-A-CAP person in manhattan who wants a delicious sammich.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2007, 07:56:09 pm
THREE THOUGHTS ABOUT CHICKEN:

1) People underestimate the value of the chicken tender as a cooking ingredient. That chicken-tender burrito sounds wicked, and once in college I had a chopped-up-chicken-tender pizza that was delicious. (I'm tempted to get one of those huge packs of Cain's, eat a few of them, and then use the rest in the kitchen.)

2) Chik-Fil-A is basically the chicken-fast-food equivalent of kissing God. If there's one thing that makes me glad to be in the South, it is this restaurant.

3) Finally, to get back on thread topic, here's my go-to Extremely Simple Chicken Recipe:

Lemonade Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 (6-oz.) can frozen lemonade, thawed
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Place chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Combine the lemonade, soy sauce, and garlic powder, and pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, then uncover, pour juices over chicken again, and cool for another 10 minutes uncovered.

This recipe is, as is pretty obvious, drop-dead easy but yields a flavorful, juicy chicken dish. (It works substantially better with halves than whole chicken breasts, though; the thinner the chicken, the better the juice and flavor permeates. Whole breasts will still be okay, though, if you don't feel like halving anything.) For best results, pour the remaining juices over the chicken gravy-style once it's plated, or dip bites of chicken into it if you're feeling a little crass.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2007, 08:11:35 pm
See, dropping the chicken on a rice bed of choice and drizzling juice would be a real winner there.

I neglected to mention it, but yes, this is also A+++ excellent would eat again.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 02:51:16 am
damn, not to cramp your style or anything but Annies is no good. Kraft is way better.

Maybe that's just because I'm all Nauseous and shit right now, though. Officially: being sick at College far from your Mommy is not fun at all.

At this stage in my life, most of my recipes are based on telling a person behind a counter what I would like, and then paying for it with my school ID. if you know what I'm saying, guys! am i rite? am I rite? I am a big fan, though, of the burrito my friends are horrified by: the Chicken Tender burrito. Chicken tenders chopped up, sour cream, salsa, and cheese. In a burrito.

Don't say I never gave you anything.

we have (in Charlotte) a panini press, and it is probably the most-used kitchen appliance at my house. We eat so many panini.



Oh fuck yes. I have never tried that burrito, but god damn does it sound delicious. The only way that burrito could get better is if they were Buffalo Chicken Tenders. I totally want one. Mmmmm.

Also, a panini press is on my list of stuff to buy. So awesome. In Boulder I worked down the street from a panini place and they made the most delicious grilled sandwiches I have ever sampled. I miss those.

Have I mentioned how thoroughly sick I am of the four restaurants we have in town?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on April 04, 2007, 02:52:41 am
I probably could get it with some buffalo sauce... but it might kill me.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 03:00:08 am
I probably could get it with some buffalo sauce... but it might kill me.

If you don't like hot food, then definitely skip it.

I can't hang with ultra-hot stuff like vindaloo, but spicy stuff like buffalo wings are tasty.

Fellas...if you have a special lady, please wash your face and hands thoroughly, and brush your teeth thoroughly after having buffalo wings. I have a really bad story about a "mishap" that me and the Crap Dude ex-fiance encountered when he neglected to take the precautions that I listed. >_< I still wince in pain when I think about it. But at least now I can laugh about it!
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: robot_god on April 04, 2007, 03:20:24 am
Fellas...if you have a special lady, please wash your face and hands thoroughly, and brush your teeth thoroughly after having buffalo wings. I have a really bad story about a "mishap" that me and the Crap Dude ex-fiance encountered when he neglected to take the precautions that I listed. >_< I still wince in pain when I think about it. But at least now I can laugh about it!

After some delicious spicy wings, that is the exact opposite of what I want a lady to do.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 06:12:18 am
After some delicious spicy wings, that is the exact opposite of what I want a lady to do.

Uhhh...

Unless you regularly bathe your junk in Sriracha, RedHot or Tabasco, I would highly recommend against that.

This unfortunate event happened when we were still in college, and we had been dating for about 2 years. Crap Dude and I went out to a pub and had a tasty light supper of appetizers. We came home, one thing led to another, and everything was great until I realized something was wrong...then I started screaming and I ran to the sink as fast as I could, straddled it, and started a frenzy of soap and water in order to make the pain stop. Owwwwwww.

Of course the bastid was laughing hysterically and trying to gasp out, "baby, are you all right?" in between paroxysms of giggles. Tragedy + distance = comedy.

Jerk.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 04, 2007, 06:18:47 am
Does anyone have ideas on how to sex up the classic PB&J?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: robot_god on April 04, 2007, 07:11:46 am
Unless you regularly bathe your junk in Sriracha, RedHot or Tabasco, I would highly recommend against that.

I still stand by my previous comment.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 07:24:28 am
A panini maker, a rice cooker, and a microwave are the only cookware a person ever needs.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: slink on April 04, 2007, 12:14:48 pm
Does anyone have ideas on how to sex up the classic PB&J?

Make it on toast...?
Maybe a panini if sexing it up is really what you're after?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2007, 07:17:37 pm
I don't understand the concept of "sexing up a PB&J." Isn't the point that you eat PB&Js when you don't have the inclination towards, or the energy to fix, sexy food? Why add more effort to it?

Anyway, that said: look for interesting jellies/jams, since new flavors always help. And, of course, remember to spread the peanut butter before you spread the jelly, so the jelly is the innermost layer and doesn't make the bread soggy in the period between making and eating.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2007, 07:21:55 pm
Peanut butter and bacon is good.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on April 04, 2007, 08:28:11 pm
um, wtf? jelly on one side and pb on the other, people?

come on.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2007, 09:21:14 pm
Also some people swear by peanut butter and banana. But since these suggestions do not involve jelly perhaps they do not answer the question.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: jaydub on April 04, 2007, 09:45:05 pm
My dad has some contraband vegemite with which he pollutes his pb&js.

A friend of mine once asked me if I had dual US/AUS citizenship.  I replied no, they wouldn't take me because I don't like vegemite.
Childhood trauma.  Vegemite != chocolate

*weeps at the memory**
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Teatime on April 04, 2007, 10:04:20 pm

Childhood trauma.  Vegemite != chocolate

*weeps at the memory**

Quoted for shared agony. Slathered marmite on some toast with the expectation that it would be like Nutella, then the only other European bread spread I had had contact with. Diagnosis: ALL BAD.

EDIT: Also, I have not forgotten about the Heath Bar Cake recipe I intended to post, just still looking for it.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 05, 2007, 01:54:34 am
Daaaamn! Now there's one toast combination that I have neglected to try. Maybe tomorrow for brekkie I'll have some toast with PB&J and try a little Marmite on it.

I have only ever tried Marmite and I FRIKKIN' LOVE IT, so I haven't tried other yeast extract spreads such as Vegemite. I got three jars when I was In Town last. I hear that Bovril used to be made from beef, but after the mad cow scare they too switched to a yeast extract, which is vegan like Marmite and Vegemite.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: slink on April 05, 2007, 10:21:37 am
I hear that Bovril used to be made from beef, but after the mad cow scare they too switched to a yeast extract, which is vegan like Marmite and Vegemite.

Only it's naaaaaysty! OK,  I may not be the best judge, as I despise marmite. Foul stuff. Disgusting.

Might have to go make marmite on toast...
It's not even a conflicting thing, I just hate it, but daymn, it be about time I had some.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: jaydub on April 05, 2007, 03:58:47 pm
Penance?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Drygioni on April 09, 2007, 04:49:20 pm
I hear that Bovril used to be made from beef, but after the mad cow scare they too switched to a yeast extract, which is vegan like Marmite and Vegemite.

Yep, it went vegetarian in 2004 partly because of BSE and also to expand the market.

There was no demand for it because it was shite, so it went back to delicious meat juice. God, it's fuck*ng delicious.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 11, 2007, 03:52:38 pm
Sex up your PB&J by frying it.  Make the sandwich as you normally would, then butter the outside bread surfaces and put it in a flat pan over medium heat, as if you were making a "grilled" cheese sandwich.  Let the bread brown a little and enjoy the melty sweetness.

If you want to get seven-kinky, sprinkle some powdered sugar on that bitch before you dig in.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Lister on April 13, 2007, 05:11:47 am
The other day I par-toasted some waffles (heated but not brown), then spread some peanut butter on them and returned them to finish toasting.  I cut them into strips and dipped them in honey before eating.

It was so good I burned my tongue but couldn't stop.  I can only imagine what this would taste like when made with real waffles.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2007, 06:22:29 am
The other day I par-toasted some waffles (heated but not brown), then spread some peanut butter on them and returned them to finish toasting.  I cut them into strips and dipped them in honey before eating.

It was so good I burned my tongue but couldn't stop.  I can only imagine what this would taste like when made with real waffles.

Toaster waffles with peanut butter and karo is basically the stuff dreams are made of.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on April 13, 2007, 06:36:44 am
this guy was telling me that in his hometown (Carbondale, IL) they grill bagels. It was a tradition started by accident. They put really weird, random-sounding things on them (cream cheese, bacon bits, apple slices, butter) and there's also a weird rivalry thing-- there are two guys in town that sell these bagels, and one is essentially the "orthodox" where the other has experimented with toppings over time.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: pmcd9 on April 13, 2007, 06:55:36 am
What's unusual about a grilled bagal?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2007, 09:25:22 am
My favourite childhood sandwich was two layers, the bottom was ultra crunchy peanut butter and sultanas, the top was honey and sultanas.
Sometimes banana in there too.
Very Tasty.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on April 13, 2007, 02:09:09 pm
My favourite childhood sandwich was two layers, the bottom was ultra crunchy peanut butter and sultanas, the top was honey and sultanas.
Sometimes banana in there too.
Very Tasty.

What are sultanas? Are dried grapes aka raisins, or are they currants or something? I'm confused.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2007, 02:22:03 pm
Yeah dried grapes. Not sure what the difference is except I think raisins are generally smaller and sweeter, possibly a different grape variety or something.

Hmmm wikipedia tells me that sultana is the name for a type of white seedless grape, especially in it's form as a raisin. So I guess raisin in the general term and sultana is a specific variety. But over here any dried grape is a sultana.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: slink on April 15, 2007, 03:31:56 pm
Yeah dried grapes. Not sure what the difference is except I think raisins are generally smaller and sweeter, possibly a different grape variety or something.

As far as I know, though I may be wrong, a sultana is a white grape, and a raisin a red grape... Just how I've always thought of them though.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on June 03, 2007, 07:10:29 pm
I have a pathetic hodgepodge of food right now since I'm moving and can't go to the grocery store.

However...
I have arborio rice, olive oil, an onion, boullion, and some cheese. I also have pesto and sundried tomatoes. I think that jough already posted a better recipe for risotto, but here's my pathetic attempt. My family is Sicilian, and they haven't branched out to other cuisines of Italy, so I've never had risotto before. At first my little mind could not conceive of a rice dish that did not involve being covered tightly and cannot be removed under any circumstances.

1 cup arborio rice
3.25 cups boiling boullion (heh! that was fun to type--yes, i'm a huge nerd)
1 onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced or crushed
3 T olive oil
1/2 cup shredded parmasean or other favorite cheese (omit if vegetarian because the "cheez bestitutes" are just godawful)
Salt & pepper, although the boullion will likely be plenty salty enough.
(if you have it, sundried tomatoes and pesto)
Of course, you can also add cooked meat at the end if you wish. I don't usually keep meat around the house that often, so I omitted it. If i'm going to eat meat, it's a lot nicer if someone else prepares it. How's that for bein' a hypocritical omnivore?

Basically I just followed the directions on the Arborio rice, but here they are.

In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil and then saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
Stir in the rice, letting it absorb what's in the pan.
Stir in 1/4 of the boullion, and stir frequently until all the liquid is absorbed.
Continue adding the boullion in small amounts and stir frequently. This should take 15-18 minutes. As jough mentioned, "keep stirring, asshole!"
Once all the liquid has been absorbed, then for the final stirring add the cheese, sundried tomato, and pesto.
Stir thoroughly, check seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed, and serve immediately.

This stuff is so insanely good. The rice is firm to the bite and perfect. I am now officially a risotto fan. Next I'm going to try the breakfast CUNT risotto recipe that Teodor made for Chris.


Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on June 03, 2007, 10:55:48 pm
My favourite childhood sandwich was two layers, the bottom was ultra crunchy peanut butter and sultanas, the top was honey and sultanas.
Sometimes banana in there too.
Very Tasty.

I like this definitely with bananas, and on toasted raisin bread. That's right, raisin bread with extra raisins in the sandwich. We're through the looking glass here, people!
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: jough on June 04, 2007, 02:23:58 am
What's unusual about a grilled bagal?

Well, I don't know what a "bagal" is, but generally bagels are toasted, not grilled.

I can see how grilled would be fine, though, especially if they use oil and make the inside all crispy like a grilled cheese ought to be.

If I bought a panino press I'd use it every day, and would eventually die from eating too much delicious and unhealthy food.  I mean, panini are many things, but healthy ain't one of them.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on June 04, 2007, 02:59:51 am
* shuffles in, late to the party, knocks over someone's drink*

Really?  I've had a panino press all my adult life that was handed down from my grandmother.  It was made in Europe the 1940's, has a wooden handle and will one day burn down my house.  I've found it to be a nice option for healthy fillings that would otherwise be to watery like tomato, grilled portabello and onion and some nice light cream cheese.  This makes a sandwich of delicious proportions.  I use a silicone basting brush to ever so lightly brush the press with a tiny bit of oil, and that's all it takes.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2007, 03:16:14 am
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to eat like that all the time.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: pmcd9 on June 04, 2007, 04:35:17 am
I've had a panino press all my adult life that was handed down from my grandmother.  It was made in Europe the 1940's, has a wooden handle and will one day burn down my house.

Take it next door.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2007, 05:11:47 am
Take it next door.

Spoken very succinctly.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: smick on June 04, 2007, 08:49:45 am
Well, I don't know what a "bagal" is

I believe he meant "bengal" as in the tiger.  Toasted.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Doc on June 04, 2007, 09:16:05 am
I believe he meant "bengal" as in the tiger.  Toasted.

Which is delicious.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to eat like that all the time.

You and me both. I've been marvelling at how well I am eating lately because I am remember to make myself a chicken sandwich for lunch at least 4 days a week.

Also: Raisin bread sandwich sounds like a delicious treat indeed.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on June 04, 2007, 05:28:37 pm
what it is like eating like that all the time:

you are still underweight, but your mother comments that you are getting a "little belly." You are vaguely disgusted with yourself. you continue to eat horrible foods.

one day you wake up and eat three doughnuts for breakfast. at 1 PM.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2007, 08:42:58 pm
what it is like eating like that all the time:

you are still underweight, but your mother comments that you are getting a "little belly." You are vaguely disgusted with yourself. you continue to eat horrible foods.

one day you wake up and eat three doughnuts for breakfast. at 1 PM.

If this is at least partially in response to my post, I meant eating delicious, carefully prepared and somewhat exotic foodstuffs all the time.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on June 05, 2007, 01:30:57 am
oh. nevermind, then. I don't eat like that.

I'm not sure what I thought you were referring to. Hm.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on June 05, 2007, 03:12:12 am
I do eat "like that" most of the time.  And what it is like is this: you develop food-related ADD.  Most regular food (aka things that are simple and easy to cook) becomes "boring," and you occasionally ruin an entire dinner because you constructed it entirely on an anecdote you overheard on a bus from  stranger.  But also there are triumphs that are almost mystical. Like perfectly done sate skewers, peanut sauce from scratch, and baby bok choy.  Or that one Sunday where I spent the whole day making mole poblano.  Slow food is basically my obsession.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on June 05, 2007, 03:14:50 am
I do eat "like that" most of the time.  And what it is like is this: you develop food-related ADD.  Most regular food (aka things that are simple and easy to cook) becomes "boring," and you occasionally ruin an entire dinner because you constructed it entirely on an anecdote you overheard on a bus from  stranger.  But also there are triumphs that are almost mystical. Like perfectly done sate skewers, peanut sauce from scratch, and baby bok choy.  Or that one Sunday where I spent the whole day making mole poblano.  Slow food is basically my obsession.

That's sort of beautiful.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 14, 2007, 01:09:48 am
If I bought a panino press I'd use it every day, and would eventually die from eating too much delicious and unhealthy food.  I mean, panini are many things, but healthy ain't one of them.


Oh god.

When is a sandwich greater than the sum of its parts? When it becomes a panino.

The house where I am staying has a george foreman grill. I just made myself a roast beef, asparagus tips, and provolone panini on sourdough bread. I am saving the other half for tomorrow. I am just looking at it and marveling at its beauty. Panini are fuckin' awesome.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Doc on July 14, 2007, 03:53:43 am
Toasted sandwiches (which is what I assume a panino is) don't keep that great in my experience. If you refridgerate them the crunchy crust becomes all soggy and un-rad.
Also, Jaffels. With lots of cheese. But that's a slightly different beastie.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: pmcd9 on July 14, 2007, 05:22:47 am
I've learned two things recently.  Panini and risotto are simply pretentious names for a grilled sandwich and a rice casserole.  Little was I aware that I have been enjoying Panini and risotto my entire life. 
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 14, 2007, 05:31:50 am
I've learned two things recently.  Panini and risotto are simply pretentious names for a grilled sandwich and a rice casserole.  Little was I aware that I have been enjoying Panini and risotto my entire life. 

Lucky you. Apart from a grilled cheese, I'd never had anything remotely like panini or risotto until just recently.

A grilled cheese is different than panini, imho. Panini is cooked on a press and uses better quality bread, which renders it crunchier and just all-around more satisfying than any type of heated sandwich I've ever had.  I've never had a grilled sammich that was as good as panini. Maybe it's because I was never creative enough to spruce up a lowly grilled cheese, because I never really liked them that much?

I also didn't know that American cuisine included rice casseroles. The arborio rice that's in risotto is just fantastic. I want to get risotto in a restaurant so that I can see how high the bar has been set, since I've only cooked it for myself once.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: robot_god on July 14, 2007, 06:53:50 am
The key to the perfect panini is a single slice of prosciutto, perhaps two slices if you're feeling randy.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Doc on July 14, 2007, 11:13:52 am
RG gets a can for taking it to the next level.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 14, 2007, 02:13:40 pm
I went looking for a clip of the two-iron panini machine - I'm pretty sure it was on Letterman. I couldn't find it, but I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRRWwH3Fro), which is even better in my humble estimation. We miss you, Warren.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on July 14, 2007, 05:08:44 pm
I have been enjoying some new tastes with my time off.

I used to hate the balsamic vinaigrette, but now I've suddenly switched teams, and I love it.  My favorite has been a bed of baby spinache, topped with mushrooms and crushed macadamia nuts topped with a nice mix of high quality balsamic, EVO and a tad of store-bought sweet onion dressing.  It's a nice summer salad.

As with every summer we get masses of fresh wild salmon locally for cheap and eat it until we're sick of it.  A massive, whole salmon for $5?  Who can say no to that.  Tonight I will be grilling a nice giraffe up with the cavity filled with lemon, herbs and mayo for moisture and flavour. 

The left over salmon will be topped with some nice ripe avocado, tomato and lettuce between toasted whole grain buns lightly slathered in mayo and enjoyed for lunch... maybe even some nice shrimp tossed in for extravagant enjoyment.  If you have never had such a sandwich you really should.     

Also, we have a massive amount of blueberries, but since I don't like blueberries, I'm just going to add them to our basic bran muffin recipe.  Two things that are good for you that taste mediocre together!

Today for lunch is a couscous salad consisting of couscous, micro diced bits of sweet onion and green pepper, quartered grape tomatoes, and crushed cashews all throughly tossed together. 
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: V-Adore on July 14, 2007, 05:20:45 pm
I went looking for a clip of the two-iron panini machine - I'm pretty sure it was on Letterman. I couldn't find it, but I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRRWwH3Fro), which is even better in my humble estimation. We miss you, Warren.

Oh hells yes. Nabu, you're my new hero for the day.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2007, 06:27:59 pm
A massive, whole salmon for $5?  Who can say no to that. 

Dang!  Not me.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 14, 2007, 06:30:38 pm
Tonight I will be grilling a nice giraffe up with the cavity filled with lemon, herbs and mayo for moisture and flavour. 

"I didn't have to stuff it. It wasn't empty."
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2007, 02:30:10 am
"I didn't have to stuff it. It wasn't empty."

A-CAPk.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 15, 2007, 04:35:02 am
Do one of you party people have a good recipe for aioli or mayonnaise? I tried to make some today and it was an ABYSMAL FAILURE. I used a KitchenAid standing mixer and a recipe from Denver's Junior League.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 15, 2007, 04:43:19 am
What was the bad recipe? There's only three or four ingredients in mayonnaise and you kind of have to eyeball the proportions. It's been made for a long time, so power tools are not necessary.

It's a simple emulsion of oil and egg yolks with mustard and vinegar for flavor, and other things if you like:

INGREDIENTS:

    * 2 egg yolks
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
    * 1/8 teaspoon sugar
    * Pinch cayenne pepper
    * 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
    * 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
    * 4 teaspoons hot water

PREPARATION:
Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow. (Note: If using electric mixer, beat at medium speed.) Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 cup oil in a very fine steady stream, beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil. If you like, thin mayonnaise with a little additional hot water. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep longer than 1 week.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on July 15, 2007, 05:12:22 am
Personally I've found that olive oil can have too strong a flavor for mayo.  Also, mine seems to taste better when I use a whisk instead of a mixer -- but that's probably just mental.  Or, it could be that I'm tired and hungry from all that whisking, so that makes it taste better.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 15, 2007, 07:26:08 am
Do one of you party people have a good recipe for aioli or mayonnaise? I tried to make some today and it was an ABYSMAL FAILURE. I used a KitchenAid standing mixer and a recipe from Denver's Junior League.

Denver is where the Broncos and the Avs are from, so it's no wonder that your mayo failed.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 15, 2007, 07:54:17 pm
What was the bad recipe? There's only three or four ingredients in mayonnaise and you kind of have to eyeball the proportions. It's been made for a long time, so power tools are not necessary.

It's a simple emulsion of oil and egg yolks with mustard and vinegar for flavor, and other things if you like:

INGREDIENTS:

    * 2 egg yolks
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
    * 1/8 teaspoon sugar
    * Pinch cayenne pepper
    * 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
    * 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
    * 4 teaspoons hot water

PREPARATION:
Beat yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl until very thick and pale yellow. (Note: If using electric mixer, beat at medium speed.) Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in 1 teaspoon each lemon juice and hot water. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously all the while. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 cup oil in a very fine steady stream, beating constantly, then mix in remaining lemon juice and water; slowly beat in remaining oil. If you like, thin mayonnaise with a little additional hot water. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Do not keep longer than 1 week.

Dammit! That is where I went astray. The recipe was almost exactly like that, except it omitted the hot water and used a whole large egg. I think it was the egg white that fucked everything up.

Personally I've found that olive oil can have too strong a flavor for mayo.  Also, mine seems to taste better when I use a whisk instead of a mixer -- but that's probably just mental.  Or, it could be that I'm tired and hungry from all that whisking, so that makes it taste better.

Yeah, when I tasted some of it the olive oil was WAY too strong. It was just this disgusting frothy mixture that was thin and definitely not creamy like real mayonnaise.

Denver is where the Broncos and the Avs are from, so it's no wonder that your mayo failed.

Man, FUCK YOU AND THE RED WINGS. The Avs are where it's at.  Nabu, you know I love you, but I don't understand how someone so awesome could have such horrible loyalties.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 15, 2007, 08:24:34 pm
Denver is where the Broncos and the Avs are from, so it's no wonder that your mayo failed.
Man, FUCK YOU AND THE RED WINGS. The Avs are where it's at.  Nabu, you know I love you, but I don't understand how someone so awesome could have such horrible loyalties.

Sorry, that was a typo up there. It was supposed to say "maybe it was the elevation?"
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 26, 2007, 02:51:53 am
I have a new favorite recipe. Weiner Wings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYq69Ek_SAY)!

If you hate YouTube links, it is Natalie Dee making the recipe "Weiner Wings."

Ingredients for two people:

Tin foil, a cookie sheet or pan, oven.
2 slices of bread
2 hot dogs (I prefer the vegetarian "Not Dogs", myself.)
2 slices of cheese
Ketchup

Heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay the slices of bread on the pan. Lay each hot dog across the slice of bread horizontally. Slice cheese so it's approximately the width of the hotdog, and lay the cheese on top of each hotdog. Arrange the bread so the hot dogs are parallel, and then raise the two opposite corners of bread to create "wings". Push the bread/hotdog units closely together so each Wiener Wing holds up the other's wings, and then use crumpled tin foil as bookends on the outside.

Bake about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is softened. If the cheese isn't bubbly yet, turn the oven on "broil" and watch closely so the toast doesn't burn. Let the toast get good and crispy. Remove from oven and cool about 5 minutes on the pan so they retain their wingly shape. Remove to individual plates and serve with ketchup.

Drew has some awesome countrified music that he made for the Wiener Wings segment.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on July 26, 2007, 06:42:57 pm
When it gets so damn hot, there are two things you must do:

1) Do not turn the oven on at any cost.
2) Put the heat inside you - there is no heat outside if you're hotter on the inside.  This involves spices.  It's a Tao thing.

With this in mind, it's time to pull out my slow cooker, and make a damn fine meal.

Sweet Spicy Smokey Sausage Stew

Ingredients:

8 Low Fat/Low Sodium Smoked Sausages or Low Fat/ Low Sodium Smoked Sausages with cheese, cut into bite sized pieces
3 russet potatoes, cubed
1 small sweet potato, cubed
3 carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large sweet onion (Walla Walla), diced
1/2 a bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 large dried chipotle
1 can tomato paste
2 fresh tomatoes diced
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can baked beans (molasses or maple style)
2 cups of water
cayenne pepper - to taste
crushed red pepper flakes - to taste
cumin - to taste
ground black pepper - to taste
paprika - to taste

Hot sauce of your choice (optional) - I like habanero
Old, sharp cheddar cheese (optional)

Boil water and pour over chipotle to re-hydrate for at least 10 min.  While pepper is hydrating, place russet and sweet potatoes, onion, carrots, tomato paste, 1/2 the tomato and about 1/2 the cilantro and cayenne, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes and black pepper in the slow cooker.  Add the water you soaked the chipotle in, but set the pepper itself aside.  Stir.  Add black and red beans, layer sausage on top, layer remaining tomato and cilantro.  Add baked beans over top - spread to cover the sausage, sprinkle with more cumin, black pepper, crushed pepper and cayenne to taste.  Dig a little hole, right in the middle of the cooker, tuck your chipotle in this whole and bury it.  Set your slow cooker to low.  Cook 8 - 10 hrs.  Do not lift the lid until at least 8 hrs have passed - keeping things moist and sealed is what makes this tasty.  Test potatoes - they should be soft but not mushy.  Remove chipotle, dice, return diced chipotle to pot, stir and serve.  Garnish with hot sauce and cheese as desired.  Enjoy!

I just made this this morning and the whole house is smelling so fine.  I make a variation of this on occasion, adding things like corn or green peppers or whatever's around.  Slow cookers are great!
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 26, 2007, 07:05:35 pm
Mmm! Goddamn, Mel. That sounds delicious.

I only make Weiner Wings at night when it's cool outside. Plus air conditioning helps.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: melack on July 26, 2007, 07:30:13 pm
I just made some pretty delicious eggs this morning. I was planning on making a boring old omelet using a 4 cheese blend, but then I noticed a small tub of sun dried tomato pesto in the fridge and inspiration struck. I tossed some of that 4 cheese mexican blend into a bowl, added the sun dried tomatoes, a bit of mozzarella and some sliced up salami. Then I took a couple eggs and made an awesome scramble.

Granted, I'm not much at all of a cook, but this was pretty damn good by my measly standards.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2007, 08:19:20 pm
I ate two small crab-meat burritos.

steps:
1. open the can of crab meat. it is quality stuff, not the bad kind.
2. drain this meat.
3. put some slices of cheddar onto a tortilla (or two!)
4. pretend to be rachel ray: strip down to your BVDs, then put the tortillas into the oven to warm them with a big smile on your face
5. take them out, dole some crabmeat onto them
6. roll them up
7. eat most of one, feel kind of sick, put them in the fridge with some plastic wrap over them.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: CortJstr on July 26, 2007, 08:25:54 pm
I'm at my parents house for the week and food here is pretty horrifying. Cans of Kraft parm in the fridge, a container of lunch meat in the fridge that according to the package is like 30% "flavor solution", and no plastic/nylon/silicone cooking utensils despite having all non-stick cookware. And my grandma insists on doing all the cooking herself, even though she can't reliably tell the difference between Low and Off on the stove.

The worst part: she made pork chops with cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup then added salt before she ate.

Although it has been a really long time since I've had homemade sloppy joes.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on July 26, 2007, 08:43:49 pm
Yuck.  Old people food.  For my parents it's Diet Decaffinated Coke and a wide variety of other foods that poorly impersonate real foods.  And the most exotic spice is... garlic salt.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on July 26, 2007, 08:47:50 pm
oh PS I forgot these steps:

make the crabmeat into "crabmeat salad":
1. add some mayonaisse
2. add some paprika
3. add some onion powder
4. mix.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on July 26, 2007, 09:04:05 pm
a container of lunch meat in the fridge that according to the package is like 30% "flavor solution"

OMG. I've never seen that. I wouldn't even feed that to the dogs.

But obviously it's not only old people who eat gross stuff.  Inev, if that really was a can of good crab meat, why did you do such cruel things to it? No wonder you felt sick.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on July 26, 2007, 09:14:38 pm
*food snob on* Good crab meat doesn't come from a can. *food snob off*
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: jaydub on July 26, 2007, 09:56:58 pm
I think he was contrasting it with Imitation Crab Meat, which if I recall correctly, is artificially colored pollock (giraffe).
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 27, 2007, 03:34:47 am
I think he was contrasting it with Imitation Crab Meat, which if I recall correctly, is artificially colored pollock (giraffe).

In my house, we call that "krab-u-lux".
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 27, 2007, 04:01:02 am
I think he was contrasting it with Imitation Crab Meat, which if I recall correctly, is artificially colored pollock (giraffe).

Yep, pollock is a groundgiraffe that's relatively cheap. Where I lived, the seafood processing plants would process it into surimi, which is like a giraffe slurry. Surimi can be made into imitation krab-u-luxx or giraffe sticks or other seafood products. Surimi is big in Asia.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2007, 05:17:51 am
...what did I do to it that was cruel?

it was not as good as when my mom makes it, I'll grant you that.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 27, 2007, 07:23:18 am
It doesn't sound too bad to me (but I don't eat meat at all and do not like giraffe in general).
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 27, 2007, 04:07:07 pm
(B)ut I (. . .) do not like giraffe in general.

That's why I eat them. Fuck those giraffe.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on July 27, 2007, 04:16:00 pm
You fuckin' flippery asshole.  How do you like that!  How do you like it when I take a fuckin' bite of you?  And chew you!  And digest you with my digestive juices!  That'll teach you!  Oh, what's this?  Does your lady have some caviar for me?  Oh you will watch.  You will fuckin' watch me as I spread your would-be-babies out on a mother fuckin' cracker!  Catch and release?  Catch and release?  You can beg all you want!  I'm going to eat you! And your lady!  And your unborn babies!  That's how much I hate you!  Fuck.  You.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Doc on July 27, 2007, 04:25:00 pm
Nabrush and Sideshow were almost responsible for ruining my keyboard just now.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 28, 2007, 02:18:51 am
Nabrush and Sideshow were almost responsible for ruining my keyboard just now.

Heh. QFT.

Also, smells...did you know that in addition to roe (giraffe eggs, caviar, etc.) people will eat milt (http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/25585/)?

A woman that I was friends with in Alaska was a gorgeous, size 4 runner who was from Albania. Where she came from, folks were poor and did not waste food. She could cook just about anything, and she would batter and fry cod milt. She said it was excellent, and it pissed her off to no end to see people wasting food. Most of the cod that was caught and processed had the milt shipped to Japan, where it is a huge delicacy. However, her husband owned a very small processing company and she was livid when she saw some of his processors throwing away the milt. I never tried it.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 28, 2007, 02:39:22 am
I worked on a floating processor with a bunch of Portuguese guys, and they dug up some cod filets that had been packed in the salt in the hold for several years and ate them. They would eat every part of the giraffe. At the time I would not eat any part of the giraffe, so I didn't try any of the stuff they had.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 28, 2007, 07:34:41 pm
I think he was contrasting it with Imitation Crab Meat, which if I recall correctly, is artificially colored pollock (giraffe).

Also, most oysters sold are actually cookie cutter cut filets of stingray.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2007, 08:08:23 pm
Aren't you thinking of scallops? I can't imagine anyone would mistake a bit of swordgiraffe for an oyster with all its guts and stuff inside it.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: linnea on July 28, 2007, 08:22:39 pm
Also, most oysters sold are actually cookie cutter cut filets of stingray.

Yeah, imitation scallops are made from skate wings. Also called stingray.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 28, 2007, 08:41:32 pm
Aren't you thinking of scallops? I can't imagine anyone would mistake a bit of swordgiraffe for an oyster with all its guts and stuff inside it.

I had no idea - this is information I can use.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 28, 2007, 10:47:27 pm
Yeah, imitation scallops are made from skate wings. Also called stingray.

Scallops, thats what i meant. (Oysters? What?)
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2007, 11:36:47 pm
Stingray, that's what I meant. I don't know where the swordgiraffe came from.

Also I wish to put in a good word for fake crab.  There are all kinds of Japanese giraffe-loaf products like that, and I really like them.  Our fake crab is like a poor cousin of that stuff and I feel sorry for all the abuse it gets.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: Nabubrush on July 28, 2007, 11:45:08 pm
Quote from: Groucho Marx
Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... now you tell me what you know.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: side_show on July 29, 2007, 03:12:13 am
Yes, I prefer fake crab over canned crab.  The fake stuff we have around here is actually pretty damn good.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: AugustWest on July 29, 2007, 04:50:32 am
Huh.  Learn something new everyday.  What I learned today:  Stingray wing is tasty.
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2007, 07:31:59 pm
I wonder if Krabby Patties are made with real or imitation crab?
Title: Re: Weekly recipe -
Post by: theinevitable on July 29, 2007, 07:36:06 pm
well, they're made by a crab, so I would assume not with crab?