The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: robot_god on April 03, 2007, 04:08:56 am

Title: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: robot_god on April 03, 2007, 04:08:56 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04032007

Damn, what a situation is goin' on there.  Very nice.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 04:11:01 am
The permalink is wrong... mod? #####?

Edit: wait... R-O-B-O-T is censored? wtf?
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: oball on April 03, 2007, 04:13:33 am
:(

I was just about to post this, but luckily I double-checked the forum before hitting "Post".  At least you used the right title.

Anyway, I don't know if it's my worst nightmare, but the thought of an anthropomorphic cat dressed as Simon Cowell busting into my room to criticise my wanking technique isn't exactly pleasant.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2007, 04:19:01 am
The permalink is wrong... mod? #####?
Fixed.

Quote
Edit: wait... R-O-B-O-T is censored? wtf?

Dude, welcome to 2003.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 03, 2007, 04:21:54 am
The teddy bear understands the cardinal rule of working on a project you dislike.

Whenever someone tries to make the thing even more complex or even more expensive or even more time-consuming, try like hell to convince them that it isn't necessary, that they can fix it in post later.

If you really sell it, you can get any not-completely-experienced person to buy into it, it's called On-Set Traumatic Hypnotism where people are so overwhelmed by how basically and strictly impossible it is to make a movie and... they can be convinced of anything that would make it slightly easier.

By the time they are in the editing room and the Traumatic Hypnotism has worn off, hopefully you got your checks cashed and your crew shirt sent off to some fanboy cousin back East and they're too busy trying to fix the damn thing to have you killed.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2007, 04:32:14 am
Do you think it is rad to have cynicism?
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 03, 2007, 04:38:53 am
In most situations, cynicism is not rad at all.

But... when you're talking about something as weird as making a movie, a little cynicism is a healthy defense mechanism. A film set is so hectic and all-the-hell-over-the-place that, seriously, you quickly realize that such an endeavour is full-on Tinkerbell... if anybody stops clapping their hands, everyone will quickly realize that pixies are ficticious.

A movie set is a cartoon character running ten feet past the edge of a cliff where the bridge is out.

If he doesn't look down, he might actually get to the other side. If he does look down, however, he will only have enough time to whip out a tiny umbrella before plummeting to his death.

In such situations, cynicism is so not rad that is goes around the other side and becomes completely rad.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Alternate on April 03, 2007, 04:50:53 am
They should tap Lyle's acting (http://achewood.com/?date=09082006) experience, if he's around. 

A-CAP, that word and a few other seemingly innocuous words are censored/altered.  I don't know why this is.  The veteran posters know, but they won't tell you.  You could read the entire archives to try to learn the secret, or you could do what I do, and just privately feign a knowing laugh whenever it comes up.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: hound on April 03, 2007, 04:58:36 am
from now on "every fat dude's worst nightmare" is my mnemonic for remembering the order in music staves

i am posting this on a BOAT
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: MattFish on April 03, 2007, 04:58:50 am
who called it, huh? Who called it?
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 03, 2007, 05:00:01 am
This is how people my parents' age in my hometown are about who burned down the high school in the early Seventies.

Everyone in their early fifties seems to know who did it but... they won't tell anyone younger or older how it went down. It is this weird open secret that is not actually open at all.

Like, you know, one of those secrets where... it's a secret... but it's not SECRET that it's a secret.

I always figured that on the secret hidden moderators' board, they just... occasionally slaughter a bird and whatever word its guts spell out, they decide to programme in a substitution upon that case.

Nearly every great conspiracy revolves around reading a bird's guts.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2007, 05:00:38 am
from now on "every fat dude's worst nightmare" is my mnemonic for remembering the order in music staves

i am posting this on a BOAT

Uh Dude, sorry, but in the treble clef, the fourth line is W sharp.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2007, 05:10:05 am
There are no secrets on this board.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:49:32 am
I feel like people constantly tell me the reason, and I say "oh, I get it!" and then I immediately forget it.

I am noticing lately that I am much more cynical than I thought. Although, I mean...
is it cynical to say that it makes sense for a University to fire a professor who doesn't teach well, and refuses to do research? They are being nice and keeping him on part-time instead of straight-up firing his ass. My friends say that I'm a jerk because I don't think it's the University's "responsibility" to give him health care, because he's old and sick. I mean... is it their problem that he sucked at his job? Is it their problem that he is old?

What bothers me the most is that this girl has been bitching about what a bad teacher he is for the whole year. She skips his class several times a week.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Alternate on April 03, 2007, 06:50:46 am
That's okay Ash, I am happy to be like the innocent youth in lfm's terrifying hometown.  It is one of the roles I play here. 
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: iron_felix on April 03, 2007, 08:12:28 am
So, Onstad did take us somewhere we've already been (kinda), but it's hilarious regardless.  My faith is restored.  Bravo.

What's the deal with porn stars and airplanes (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06222005)?  Is this a real-world phenomenon?

Quote
Edit: wait... R-O-B-O-T is censored? wtf?

Dude, welcome to 2003.

Did Jough remove the filters for April Fools' Day?  I seem to remember seeing uncensored too-hot-for-TV automata in some posts recently, but I could be confusing this with something else.

Also, n00b that I am, I didn't realize there was a reason for the filters.  Somehow that makes the whole thing a lot less funny for me.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Doc on April 03, 2007, 10:04:48 am
I for one am glad to see the return of Rod Huggins.

IF: Although I haven't been around long enough to be exactly sure I believe the reason only amounts to Jough saying 'fuck you' to the internet. Or possibly R. Stevens doing likewise and Jough just following in the man's footsteps.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: oball on April 03, 2007, 10:12:26 am
If you value your cans, don't question the word filter.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 03, 2007, 11:02:15 am
My favorite one is fuck*ng.

or #####.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 12:21:46 pm
I, for one, have quite clearly explained this 'mystery' in the past and I'm tired of doing it for you whippersnappers.


Remember when we used to have noobs who read the whole archives before posting? Those were the days.

Also inev, the university may not have just a 'responsibillity' it may have a 'contract'. If you think he is a bad teacher, go take a class taught by someone else.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Ryabovsky on April 03, 2007, 12:51:47 pm
I, for one, have quite clearly explained this 'mystery' in the past and I'm tired of doing it for you whippersnappers.

For the benefit of others.
Quote from: Asherdan
Various words being edited is an homage to the Dumbrella board diaspora. I never underwstood, yet liked, "tomato" being blinkered.

Oddly enough, from the first thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1948.msg40358.html#msg40358) on the Circus c*ck saga. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06072005)

And the filter proves my own point for me. . . .exegesis . . .
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 12:53:13 pm
For those too lazy to search. The Origin of Rod Huggins (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06152005)
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2007, 01:30:13 pm
For the benefit of others.
Oddly enough, from the first thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1948.msg40358.html#msg40358) on the Circus c*ck saga. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06072005)

And the filter proves my own point for me. . . .exegesis . . .

Wow, this is a quality first post to me.  Maybe the text didn't need to be quite so big... Enjoy the sweet taste of your first tiny can.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 03, 2007, 01:57:26 pm
Alright, this arc has gotten so convoluted that I'm not even sure I have a linear understanding of what is going on in the last two panels. It seems like Ray ignores that T says he is not a gay porn star, and wants to include him in the second to last panel - and then goes back to just having the one-guy thing. I don't even know what's going on. I like it better than yesterday's though, and I am happy for the return of Rod Huggins.

Remember when we used to have noobs who read the whole archives before posting? Those were the days.

I hell of read the Achewood archives before even thinking of posting on this board. Hell, I wouldn't even seek out such a thing unless I had. What's the point of spending time and energy (2d15h at this point) discussing something that you're not even closely familiar with? That's like writing Han Solo/Luke Skywalker slash without seeing "A New Hope." Pointless. I mean, there are Rad Internet Friends to be made, but still!

Unless you meant the archives of this board, in which case I'm guilty.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 01:59:03 pm

Unless you meant the archives of this board, in which case I'm guilty.

Yup.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 03, 2007, 02:07:04 pm
Yup.

Isn't that nigh-impossible these days though? I mean, this is a great board (based on my severely handicapped board experience) but it's been going for over three years. That's a huge amount of text right there.

But then again, what am I doing that's so much more important?
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2007, 02:26:09 pm
Isn't that nigh-impossible these days though? I mean, this is a great board (based on my severely handicapped board experience) but it's been going for over three years. That's a huge amount of text right there.

But then again, what am I doing that's so much more important?

Q did it, which is insane. It also explains why his online time is 57d 1h 38m. Which is 17 days longer than his closest competior and 37 days longer than me. My time would of course be higher but it only counts the time since Jough moved the board software to SM in late 2005.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 02:50:13 pm

But then again, what am I doing that's so much more important?

Indeed!
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: MattFish on April 03, 2007, 05:12:18 pm
He's going to be writing an email to his recruitment consultancy. A stiff email.

hardy har har
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: dejavroom on April 03, 2007, 05:18:59 pm
Ray has hair. He doesn't look half-bad, actually.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:31:41 pm
wombat-- I don't particularly care whether they keep him on or not. I am not planning on taking The History of Yoga, or "Environmental Sustainability and Communal Living." What was bothering me was my friends telling me that the Uni should keep him on even though he doesn't do his job, because that'd be the nice thing to do. And that I was a dick for not agreeing with this.

I have read most of the significant (ie: many-posted) older threads, but not all of them.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2007, 06:02:51 pm
Oh, agreed. They should keep him because if they fire him for insufficient cause they will get sued, not to be nice.

But you know, teaching well is generally not a requirement at a large research university, which if I am not mistaken is the kind of place you attend?  No one ever seems to tell college applicants that if you want all your instructors to be good classroom teachers, you should apply to a small liberal arts college where quality teaching is the number one consideration in hiring and evaluation. Not a large university where many other factors have to be taken into consideration.  There are many reasons to go to such a place but you have to be willing to make some sacrifices as far as classroom teaching.

Note that I am desperately sticking to this and other thread-wandering topics because I was so horrified by Ray's hair that I am afraid to even go back and look at today's strip again.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 03, 2007, 06:05:06 pm
Note that I am desperately sticking to this and other thread-wandering topics because I was so horrified by Ray's hair that I am afraid to even go back and look at today's strip again.

What scared me wasn't the hair, it was the tiny little dimpled chin. Perfect, but ew.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 06:14:57 pm
oh, also, he doesn't do research.

Originally the argument was "so what if he doesn't do research! he should still be able to teach!"
now they are keeping him on for night classes, and summer classes. So it's "he should get full pay, and health care!"

apparently some people like him a lot, though. In the way you liked your high-school teachers who let you talk about cool stuff in class, and didn't assign much work.

yeah, I have nothing worthwhile to say about the Cat Gay Porn.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2007, 07:43:01 pm
TOUAMB: We're about Exegesis. And, uh, wandering from topic when it suits the thread. (I have nothing more to say about the strip either, honestly, but I do love the word "exegesis.")
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Drastic Action on April 03, 2007, 08:00:06 pm
But you know, teaching well is generally not a requirement at a large research university, which if I am not mistaken is the kind of place you attend?  No one ever seems to tell college applicants that if you want all your instructors to be good classroom teachers, you should apply to a small liberal arts college where quality teaching is the number one consideration in hiring and evaluation. Not a large university where many other factors have to be taken into consideration.  There are many reasons to go to such a place but you have to be willing to make some sacrifices as far as classroom teaching.

I went to a rather small (in terms of campus size) tech school, and god damn were there a lot of awful teachers.  While there were a handful of excellent computer science professors, it was definitely a small percentage, while inexplicably (for such a tech school), all of the humanities professors seemed extremely competent and interesting.  But perhaps this is just a side-effect of technology-related courses: those who are exceptionally into such things (enough so to teach them) probably have not developed the social interaction skills required to be a compelling lecturer, perhaps?

So it feels like all of my programmin' knowledge has come from my own personal studies or when I went beyond the project requirements, and now I wish I had pursued a degree more aligned with photography or literature, just because I think it would have been a much more enlightening experience.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 03, 2007, 08:09:30 pm
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/445256222_680e2be098.jpg) Rod, The gay cat porn actor.
 AugustWest, Esq.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 03, 2007, 08:15:22 pm
That is way creepy. Can'd.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2007, 08:35:38 pm
HEY!
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 03, 2007, 08:38:47 pm
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/445256222_680e2be098.jpg) Rod, The gay cat porn actor.
(http://www.frankdempsey.com/image/obj333geo332pg1p8.png) AugustWest, Esq.

CAN.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 03, 2007, 08:39:14 pm
Fuck you for making me laugh out loud at work!

JUST FUCK YOU CANN'D STYLEZ!

Wait... oh yeah, you're two different people. Keep forgetting.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Doc on April 03, 2007, 10:41:00 pm
I had an interesting point to make about the merits of good teaching vs. expertise in a particular subject area and which should be valued in tertiary level education but that just went out the fuck*ng window. A can for A-CAP and a can for AW; because it's rough looking like  a gay porn star cartoon cat.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2007, 10:45:18 pm
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/194/445256222_680e2be098.jpg) Rod, The gay cat porn actor.
(http://www.frankdempsey.com/image/obj333geo332pg1p8.png) AugustWest, Esq.

Good job.

I don't have photoshop, but if I did, I'd be putting some cat ears on Aug in the picture.  Anybody?  Anybody?

A can for the man who's cartoon twin takes it in the can, and one for A-CAP for posting it too.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: iron_felix on April 03, 2007, 11:32:38 pm
This was done in Seashore, not Photoshop, but what the hell:

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/445448570_0bbbd67c2b.jpg?v=0)
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 04, 2007, 12:25:59 am
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/445496883_adbec3ed2e.jpg)
(My cat is actually standing up in that picture. It is so fat and fluffy that her belly brushes the floor as it moves.)
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: AugustWest on April 04, 2007, 01:46:49 am
Har Har Har de fuck*ng Har.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 02:45:57 am
Another beer and I probably would have peed myself laughing.

Obviously, AW does not look like Huggins (there are probably a 100 million men who rock the goatee-and-glasses combo) and he's not gay, but god damn is that funny.
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: pmcd9 on April 04, 2007, 02:59:18 am
Obviously, AW does not look like Huggins

Actually...
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: hound on April 04, 2007, 04:55:26 am
CAN!

dingding ding you got the skee ball into the smallest possible hole look at all the cans you get

maybe we'll cash in these cans and finally see an end to this terrible depression

yes i think everything's going to be okay from now on

MAY!
Title: Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
Post by: iron_felix on April 04, 2007, 06:58:34 am
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/445496883_adbec3ed2e.jpg)
(My cat is actually standing up in that picture. It is so fat and fluffy that her belly brushes the floor as it moves.)

Nice job with the eyebrows, Ennewhy.  Here is a tiny can for spending presumably more than five minutes on your one.