The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Gimpson on April 04, 2007, 04:19:10 am

Title: Achewood on Marketplace?
Post by: Gimpson on April 04, 2007, 04:19:10 am
I was listening to yesterday's (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2007/04/02/pm.html) Marketplace (http://www.marketplace.org) and they ran a story (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2007/04/02/PM200704027.html) on The Big Nerd Ranch (http://www.bignerdranch.com/), a sort of a retreat/training center for programmers.  Almost at the end of the segment there was this exchange:

Quote
It costs $3,500 for the week-long course. But most students' employers pick up the tab. We're talking big companies like Apple, Google, or General Dynamics. The payoff is programmers who can design bigger and better software. Well, "better" anyway.

Ashley Hottgraver is working on a not-so-big program she calls "Eggminder."

    ASHLEY HOTTGRAVER: You put in how many eggs you eat a day and you put in how many eggs you have in the fridge, and it will tell you — advise — when you need to buy eggs.

Do we have an Achewood fan who managed to work a reference onto a public radio show, or is Eggminder just a common intro-to-programming type problem?  I should know this seeing as I have formal schooling and currently work in the field of "programming", but I'm only familiar with Eggminder in an Achewood context (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05082002).
Title: Re: Achewood on Marketplace?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 04, 2007, 04:25:21 am
Her name is actually Ashley Holtgraver, and Im pretty sure what we have here is someone who is stealing the program to get ahead in some class.
Title: Re: Achewood on Marketplace?
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2007, 11:55:24 am
Can to Gimp for posting this - I heard it but was too lazy to go and see if there was a transcript.

I think that for fun we should deluge Marketplace with emails accussing them of plagiarism but I am too lazy to do that also.

Edit: I assumed this was their April Fool's story but at first glance that's a convincing website. So maybe we have to deluge this Ashley instead.