The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on April 04, 2007, 06:53:40 am

Title: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 04, 2007, 06:53:40 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04042007

Where did the leg go? The eternal question.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: iron_felix on April 04, 2007, 07:05:18 am
More importantly, do we ever want to find out where it went?

I don't have anything else to say about this strip.  It has left me confused and befuddled.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 07:13:11 am
This was not something my caffeine-addled brain needed to see.

Because now every image of Huggins is bouncing around in my mind and I will not be able to sleep for days out of fear that he will come and demonstrate "There is no false power in the universe."
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 04, 2007, 07:13:35 am
I ... don't get it.

I especially don't get why there's now a mole on Ray's chin.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 04, 2007, 07:16:32 am
I ... don't get it.

I especially don't get why there's now a mole on Ray's chin.

It's Simon Le Cowell's creepy dimpled chin.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 04, 2007, 07:24:33 am
But how did Ray add a dimple...? Plastic surgery? Sharpie?

Crazy cartoon cats...
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 07:42:19 am
Thinking about it, this is probably what Moomin porn would look like, what with the plumpness and all. Great and excellent, Finland.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 04, 2007, 07:51:47 am
This homeboy is officially not reading any achewoods until this gay porn arc is over. I can't even look at Rod without thinking of a naked AugustWest rolling around.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 04, 2007, 12:07:55 pm
This homeboy is officially not reading any achewoods until this gay porn arc is over. I can't even look at Rod without thinking of a naked AugustWest rolling around.


Paradoxically enough, that's why I can't STOP reading this arc, over and over.

Dude seriously, AsherDawg is the hottest man-lawyer this side of the ozarks.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: side_show on April 04, 2007, 01:07:44 pm
I can't even look at Rod without thinking of a naked AugustWest rolling around.

Agreed.  But now I'm emotionally invested in the goings on of this cartoon cat, mostly because I don't want anything horrible happening to Auggins.  The two are perma-pressed together in my mind. 
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: CortJstr on April 04, 2007, 01:36:14 pm
The very cat-like pose in panel 4 makes me assume that Huggins in kneading the bed, all getting ready to pounce. I with this picture was not in my brain.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: wombat on April 04, 2007, 01:38:09 pm
This was not something my caffeine-addled brain needed to see.

This was not something my any kind of brain needed to see. I am quite traumatized.

If I were smart, I would ask someone to PM me when this arc was over, but I suppose I will be unable to resist looking.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 02:16:00 pm
I think that Onstad's poses of Huggins so as to tastefully exclude his junk are brill.

The raised eyebrow made me laugh hysterically, "Oh yeah. Act like you ate the candy, Rod. But also act like you deserved it."
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Noah on April 04, 2007, 03:21:29 pm
it doesn't take much to traumatize you guys does it
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 03:32:02 pm
I can't even look at Rod without thinking of a naked AugustWest rolling around.

AugustWest as Rod Huggins somehow leads to AugustWest as a Moomin.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: jaydub on April 04, 2007, 04:27:02 pm
I'm at work, so I'm afraid to google moomin

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about clicking my achewood.com bookmark this morning.  We know Onstad isn't particularly shy about his cartoon cat anatomy.  I'm a bit surprised that he's being somewhat coy this time.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 04, 2007, 04:37:57 pm
He isn't being coy, though.

Rod's sex parts are clearly so horrific that it just makes good story sense to not reveal them until the time is very very ripe.

Like "Jaws" or "Alien".
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 04:42:45 pm
I'm at work, so I'm afraid to google moomin

Moomins are perfectly work-safe, unless you have a great fear of their staring, accusatory, soulless eyes.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: hammish on April 04, 2007, 06:15:43 pm
He isn't being coy, though.

Rod's sex parts are clearly so horrific that it just makes good story sense to not reveal them until the time is very very ripe.

Like "Jaws" or "Alien".

The time for cat junk could ripen as soon as tomorrow. I shall wear welding goggles (perhaps a dentist's lead apron) tomorrow when I check Achewood. Or would that just jinx me for a "strip returns Friday" ?
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Enkidu on April 04, 2007, 06:44:08 pm
The time for cat junk could ripen as soon as tomorrow. I shall wear welding goggles (perhaps a dentist's lead apron) tomorrow when I check Achewood. Or would that just jinx me for a "strip returns Friday" ?
What jinxes you are the creepy eyes on your avatar.  Now I've got a mental image of that face floating over me, a couple of hands reaching out from behind a lead apron clutching a dentist drill and pick.  "Open wide for me!"  D:  I am horrified.

Best line in this comic is "Act like you ate the candy, Rod.  But also act like you deserved it."  Genius.  I may have to try this out.  Damn straight I ate that candy!
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2007, 07:06:19 pm
What, no love for the alt-text? MARS... NEEDS... HUGGINS, indeed.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Doc Benway on April 04, 2007, 07:31:25 pm
This probably won't mean much to non-british people (which I guess is most of you), but Rod Huggins really reminds me of Jeremy Spake (http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1180000/images/_1184185_spake.jpg), whose naked body (even with junk tactfully hidden) is something i never, ever wanted to contemplate.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 04, 2007, 07:49:08 pm
I considered taking a can for the infliction of that mental image, but I think that's trauma you need to share if you're ever to get through it.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Ryabovsky on April 04, 2007, 08:02:09 pm
You know, after the discussion of the last few days I was horribly afraid to find out what "moomin" was, thinking it was some kind of Swedish analogue to German schisse porn or something like that.

Instead, it turns out to be something more like the Swedish teletubbies, or maybe Muzzy.

It frightens me that I'm a little disappointed by this.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: chuanoplast on April 04, 2007, 08:13:58 pm
But Moomins are so scary! Have you seen their evil staring eyes that can see you darkest fears? And their bland faces that hide all sorts of terrible secrets and death wishes. Their ears only exist to hear you scream in terror.

Do not be frightened by disappointment. Be frightened by the Moomins.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: linnea on April 04, 2007, 08:41:05 pm
But Moomins are so scary! Have you seen their evil staring eyes that can see you darkest fears? And their bland faces that hide all sorts of terrible secrets and death wishes. Their ears only exist to hear you scream in terror.

Do not be frightened by disappointment. Be frightened by the Moomins.

I thought you guys were using a weird term for Mormons, and I was really confused.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: jaydub on April 04, 2007, 08:55:26 pm
I'm semi-intrigued by how old-school the Moomins apparently are (mid 1950's!).  After receiving chuan's reassurance about lack of NSFW-ness (my jaded soul is resistant to the emptiness of the eyes she quailed about), my initial Google-Image-Search (GIS) provoked the thought surely the Japanese are involved.  I was right, somehow they found out about this incarnation of Nordic schadenfreud (or vahingonilo as seems appropriate) and subverted it into happy-happy-joy-joy chibi stuff in the 1990's.  There seems to be a deep vein of cross cultural irony to be mined here.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 04, 2007, 09:35:44 pm
I'm semi-intrigued by how old-school the Moomins apparently are (mid 1950's!).  After receiving chuan's reassurance about lack of NSFW-ness (my jaded soul is resistant to the emptiness of the eyes she quailed about), my initial Google-Image-Search (GIS) provoked the thought surely the Japanese are involved.  I was right, somehow they found out about this incarnation of Nordic schadenfreud (or vahingonilo as seems appropriate) and subverted it into happy-happy-joy-joy chibi stuff in the 1990's.  There seems to be a deep vein of cross cultural irony to be mined here.

Do you write for the Atlantic Monthly or something?
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: jaydub on April 04, 2007, 09:41:00 pm
I have to confess, I was reading Penny Arcade just now, and Tycho's style seems to have rubbed off on me.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Teatime on April 04, 2007, 10:12:19 pm
Have any of y'all actually read Moomin stuff? Mayhaps I am overly fond of Scandinavia, but I think it is pretty much the best thing ever.

I had a nightmare when I was twelve where Moominpappa walked in on Moomintroll getting his bone on with the Snork Maiden.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: Doc on April 04, 2007, 10:34:08 pm
I had a nightmare when I was twelve where Moominpappa walked in on Moomintroll getting his bone on with the Snork Maiden.
I...uh....forget it, I'll come back tomorrow.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: iron_felix on April 05, 2007, 03:34:36 am
This homeboy is officially not reading any achewoods until this gay porn arc is over. I can't even look at Rod without thinking of a naked AugustWest rolling around.

Dude, you brought that on yourself.  You're the one responsible for that particular jape.

...but I did this:

I can't even look at Rod without thinking of a naked AugustWest rolling around.

AugustWest as Rod Huggins somehow leads to AugustWest as a Moomin.

Frank Family MoominWest.

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/235/446787585_e299a65344.jpg?v=0)

Aw no he DIN'!
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 05, 2007, 04:11:36 am
I look forward to the point when this Evolving Photoshop Project eventually becomes in no portion its parent image at all. Not whit of it left. At that point, it will become a Meme and fark will see what sarcastic things can be done with it.

Eventually, it will be accidentally modified back, piecemeal, to its original form.

And that'll be the opening of one of the Seven Seals.
Title: Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
Post by: IdiotIdiotIdiot on April 06, 2007, 11:48:09 am
From Wikipedia on Moomin:

"The theme tune for the television series was originally "The Moomins" but then it was replaced with "True" by Spandau Ballet"

Isnt that just the best thing ever?

- Mental images of angsty trolls while listening to eighties pop music!
 
God DAMN. Brilliant, Rod.