The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: behka on April 08, 2007, 02:00:50 am

Title: A question of character origins
Post by: behka on April 08, 2007, 02:00:50 am
Has there ever been any mention of why Little Nephew lives with Ray?  Who are LN's parents?  Has there ever been mention of Ray having a brother or sister?  Why does he live with Ray?  I know he's lived there most all of his life... LN says, for example that they have not called his room "one cuddleplace lane" since he was two - implying that he has lived with Ray since possibly as early as his birth.  Is Ray really LN's father, and just SAYS he is his uncle?


So.... What's Up With That?
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: CortJstr on April 08, 2007, 02:10:22 am
He's just another example of narratively convenient nephews. Like Huey, Dewie, and Louie. Just an excuse for a main character to interact with children while retaining wholesomely chaste bachelorhood.
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: behka on April 08, 2007, 02:12:06 am
Hmmmm.   You're probably right.  but i'd like to see Onstad do something Rad with this  unexplained backstory.
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: V-Adore on April 08, 2007, 02:24:12 am
wholesomely chaste bachelorhood

But... but...  Ray.
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: behka on April 08, 2007, 02:26:10 am
This is the same dude who demanded that his ex girlfriend exit her house and french him.  So, you also have a point.
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: CortJstr on April 08, 2007, 02:59:51 am
But... but...  Ray.

I'm not saying that Ray isn't a unique twist on the convention, just that he's connected to it. With boning.
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: Doc on April 08, 2007, 06:11:44 am
I once invented an elaborate reason for huey dewey and louis living with Donald (and later Scrooge) based on the concept of Daisy being an unmarried female duck in the 1950s being shipped off to a convent once it became apparent she was preganant.
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: linnea on April 08, 2007, 08:55:30 am
Ray is way too noncommittal to have a steady girlfriend, let alone a child. Having LN gives us the joy of a bratty-ass teenager minor character while leaving Ray's crazy-ass party dude status untouched.

I always thought that Ray was an only child, though?
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: iron_felix on April 08, 2007, 09:39:40 am
I always thought that Ray was an only child, though?

Sondra's (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172006) only child, at least.  It is implied that he could have a potentially infinite number of half-siblings.  Ray probably wouldn't even know Lil' Nephew existed if he were one of their issue, though, so I too subscribe to the archetypal comic nephew hypothesis.

I'm an only child myself.  I hope if I ever meet a woman I want to marry that she isn't, because as much as I would like to have a family of my own someday I have an even greater desire to be somebody's crazy uncle.  I think it stems from a perverse desire to alternate between buying the kids extremely noisy and irritating presents (which they then take back home to mom and dad) and doing stuff like this (http://www.achewood.com/?date=04052006).
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: linnea on April 08, 2007, 05:08:44 pm
Sondra's (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172006) only child, at least.  It is implied that he could have a potentially infinite number of half-siblings.  Ray probably wouldn't even know Lil' Nephew existed if he were one of their issue, though, so I too subscribe to the archetypal comic nephew hypothesis.

I'm an only child myself.  I hope if I ever meet a woman I want to marry that she isn't, because as much as I would like to have a family of my own someday I have an even greater desire to be somebody's crazy uncle.  I think it stems from a perverse desire to alternate between buying the kids extremely noisy and irritating presents (which they then take back home to mom and dad) and doing stuff like this (http://www.achewood.com/?date=04052006).

Ahhh... of course, Ray's father is a gentleman of the old school (http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20070406).

(s_s edit: fix'd link)
Title: Re: A question of character origins
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2007, 06:21:27 pm
my great-grandfather was one of those.

One day, my grandfather asked his father why his name was Horatio. He explained:
well, as you know I often had to go back to England on business. (I am not sure whether this was pre- or post- panama canal, but either way boating to England from Chile is a long way). Well, on one voyage my ship was the Horatio, and on that very trip I had an affair with (I am not sure if those are the words he used) a lovely English woman. I loved her so, but our ways could not but part-- and so, I named you Horatio.

That is some old school gentleman-ness. He also once killed some men who were plotting against him by flooding their mine.


It is balanced out by the fact that my great-grandmother on the other side was a straight-up pre-feminist. All going into the mountains for weeks to examine mine holdings, all raising hell of kids by herself, all carrying a pistol so none of the miners tried anything...