The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on April 08, 2007, 08:49:09 am

Title: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: linnea on April 08, 2007, 08:49:09 am
Augh. This sucks. It's late and I can't sleep for shit. I'm on call so I can't take my insomnia meds as per usual.

Any of the rest of you suffer from being deprived of sweet, delicious sleep?
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 08, 2007, 08:54:48 am
I am not so much an insomniac, but I have fucked up my schedule enough where I sleep from about 7 am to 3 pm.  I can get into these insane sleep patterns within like 5 days, but it takes forever to break it.  I tried staying up all night thursday to fix the problem, but instead went to sleep Friday night at 9 to 3 am, then slept from 9 am to 3 pm Saturday morning/afternoon.

I am trying to sleep right now.


Edit:  Insomnia fuel:  http://tv-links.co.uk/
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 08, 2007, 09:36:18 am
My legs are hell of sore from work earlier and for some reason (I)we have evolved to not sleep when were in pain. This was a lame evolution.
Also- thanks for the link Johnny Come Lately.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: slink on April 08, 2007, 03:37:00 pm
I had some wonderful insomnia the other night. It really does suck, and nothing I try really helps. I tend to just have it where I can't get to sleep for ages, be it due to leg pain (damn restless legs - though not so much anymore) or nothing much, or those nights where I just never get to sleep no matter how tired I get.

My mom always swore by nutmeg, lots of it ground into a hot drink, but it doesn't do anything for me if I'm having one of my true insomniac nights. And I can't really get anything but herbal sleeping pills and they suck.

Hope you did get some sleep in the end...
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: linnea on April 08, 2007, 05:13:31 pm
I got up around 3AM and made some chamomile tea. I should have covered up my alarm clock, because few things suck worse than staring at the clock every 10 minutes and thinking, "GO TO SLEEP" but you can't. of course, I was sleeping really well when my stupid alarm went off. I haven't been to church in ages, so I guess I should go today. Need to stop playing on the intarwub and get in the shower...

I had really bizarre dreams, though. I dreamt that my ex moved back here (not the Crap Dude, but a really awesome guy who moved back to Florida after his tour with the USCG was done. I should have gone with him). Then his ex showed up with his dog, but strangely it was like we were all friends. Weird. Then we went to the airport and he got kidnapped by terrorists who threatened to bomb the whole place. I was like, "Dammit! Take his ex instead! Give him back!"
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2007, 06:15:05 pm
I dreampt I was in a monty python movie. A really early one that no one had ever seen. So instead of it being funny, it was more... pathetic. First I was trying to buy alcohol to bring to my grandfather in rehab. Then, this guy came up to our table at a restaurant (four of us) and gave us three ecstasy tablets. Then, we were fleeing from The King (?) and had to close this gate... but we didn't have the key. So we tried to hide by jumping in the water, but our armor bogged us down and we almost died.
Then, I decided that my last act as an Alive man should be to find the princess... and...
it turned into a different kind of dream. Or rather, it was about to probably, but I woke up.

also: yeah, nutmeg is hell of a drug. Apparently it's really toxic, though-- almost as bad as Heroin in terms of how easy it is to accidentally kill yourself with it.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: slink on April 08, 2007, 06:51:09 pm
also: yeah, nutmeg is hell of a drug. Apparently it's really toxic, though-- almost as bad as Heroin in terms of how easy it is to accidentally kill yourself with it.

30g or more, apparently... So, not that easy, really.

I'm now shattered... And it's what, 7.40. That and I doubt I'll get to sleep that early tonight, and what with this conference coming up, I'm going to have be getting up at 6.30 or so every morning. I guess I'll go back to smoking too much and drinking as much coffee as I can manage before the stomach cramps set in.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2007, 06:59:15 pm
well, the measure was "effective" dose (I guess the dose which would induce hallucinations?) vs lethal dose. On the scale of drugs, it was the second most toxic in terms of this ratio.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: side_show on April 08, 2007, 07:33:01 pm
I used to have mad insomnia.  The best cure I can recommend is getting a boyfriend.  This is not at all snide.  I used to have insomnia for days and days at a time.  My guy sleeps like the dead.  The joke I always tell him (funny for me, not him) is that an ax murderer could come into our bedroom, hack me up into bits and leave a neat pile of Melanie on the bed next to him, and he'd wake up in the morning to find me, unaware of what happened.  But I digress.  Since he's able to sleep so well, if I'm having the insomnia, I make him put me to sleep.  Last night, I'd had a massive Slurpee and was sure the sugar would keep me up all night, so I made him tell me in detail about the storyline of the game cube game he's playing.  I woke up this morning refreshed. 

I used to make him tell me stories about a fictional bear I'd made up named " Sleepy Sleeperton the Sleeptime Bear" but this mostly made him angry, because he's not a writer and couldn't make up anything creative, so I'd take over, and I thought this bear was just hilarious and was generally sleep giddy about Sleepy Sleeperton the Sleeptime Bear, which lead to no slumber at all.

Before the SO was in my life, what I would sometimes do is work on math equations in my head.  Also, I'd count sheep, but not really count them, just envision them in immaculate detail - their shiny eyes, their wool, how their bodies are shaped, how they would look if they were floating over my bed.... odd, but sort of fun.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2007, 07:36:50 pm
I'm disapointed Mel.  I thought you were going to tell us that when you are feeling insomnia he would give you sweet sweet lovin' until you fell asleep.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 08, 2007, 08:40:32 pm
Don't do nutmeg.

There is no reason for that.


(well maybe do it to go to sleep, but not to get high).
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2007, 10:20:44 pm
I find that falling asleep all cuddled up with some warm chick is pretty effective.
this is moot if you are hot because it is summer. in this case, the cuddle is death.

but let's be honest-- after a childhood dominated by insomnia, I now fall asleep at the drop of a hat. A dark classroom, sitting on a couch, sitting in a car, reading on my bed; instant sleep. I am not sure why my sleep patterns have changed in this way.

having someone talk to you until you're sleepy helps, too. My sleep problems stopped when I had my first girlfriend-- we used to talk on the phone until we were both sleepy. I would fall asleep almost immediately.

she then ruined any help she gave me by causing me many sleepless nights. you know, with the cheating on me with my best friend and all.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: linnea on April 08, 2007, 10:23:13 pm
mel, that's awesome advice. But if such things were so easy to get, I'd have one already. I can't find a non-crap dude in this town, I swear.

Being a twin, I hardly ever slept alone for the first ten years of my life, until me and kellichou got separate rooms. Even when we were little and had separate beds, we'd climb into bed together like little hamsters, curl up, and go to sleep.

I guess our parents thought it was bad, because they'd always come into the room and make me go back to my own bed. WTF?

Anyway, I sleep a lot better when there's someone with me, but I haven't had an SO in a long time, and the wombie is 4,000 miles away.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2007, 11:22:45 pm
She'd probably still perform security blanket duty if asked however.  Siblings are like that (at least, mine are - although I haven't slept with any of them in years).

For me, nothing beats insomnia like late night sex.  Sadly, for my wife it sometimes has the opposite effect.  I have to pick those moments carefully.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: kellichou on April 09, 2007, 03:02:35 am
Being a twin, I hardly ever slept alone for the first ten years of my life, until me and kellichou got separate rooms. Even when we were little and had separate beds, we'd climb into bed together like little hamsters, curl up, and go to sleep.

Yeahh!  Sleeping all curled together like hamsters was the best.  Makes sense, considering we as wee embryos developed side-by-side--we've never known life without each other!  <cue Awwww moment>.  Poor Wombie, insomnia sucks the llama's ass!
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: theinevitable on April 09, 2007, 05:13:02 am
I just read a big ol' thing for psych about how ours is the only culture in the world in which parents don't sleep with their children.

To Sum Up:
Developmental Psych is the coolest thing ever
a lot of things we do in the West in terms of child-rearing are really dumb. so dumb.

I also learned that humans are the only species that has a problem with being "too smart for our own good."
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: linnea on April 09, 2007, 05:38:40 am
I just read a big ol' thing for psych about how ours is the only culture in the world in which parents don't sleep with their children.

That is something that I think about A LOT. I want my child to feel secure at night, but then again I'm also loathe to ponder 12 years of no sex between me and my future spouse. Also, sometimes chilluns wet the bed, and that's no fun if you're in the bed when they pee. As rough as it was for me to sleep by myself, our younger sister never seemed to have a problem with it, ever. I hope that if I have a singleton child as opposed to twins that they will be okay with sleeping in their own room.

Basically...I think I'm probably going to put Junior in a room down the hall with a baby monitor during infancy. It might be rough when he or she is a newborn; i.e. getting up a million times during the night and walking down the hall for feedings, but later on the child will come to accept that it is normal for the parental door to be locked. Privacy is important.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: theinevitable on April 09, 2007, 05:49:28 am
I really enjoyed that the book said "Western females typically bring up Intimate Relations with their Husband as being a prime issue."

I mean... I'm sure people in every other culture in the world have just as much sex as we do.

I'm surprised my mom didn't try this shit with me, considering I was basically Experiment Child. I played with dolls, and was raised equally by both parents, and smoked pot as a baby and stuff.

OK, maybe one of those is a lie.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: Doc on April 09, 2007, 08:13:26 am
maybe one of those is a lie.

Yeah, everyone says it but no two parents really play an equal part in child rearing.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 09, 2007, 09:04:55 am
I would actually say that most parents play an equal part (at least where I am from), but not in an asexual way, which is what I thought theinev was trying to get across.
Title: Re: Fuck...insomnia!
Post by: theinevitable on April 09, 2007, 04:25:13 pm
well, my parents raised me dually moreso than most parents. Out of my siblings, I was the only one to be as strongly attached to my dad as to my mom, as my mom didn't go to work after getting her PhD., and had my brother. Before that I was fed, cared for, changed, etc. roughly equally by both parents.

Of course after that, my dad started going to England for weeks at a time on business every month. So that got screwed up fast.