The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: rabidambulance on April 10, 2007, 02:33:22 am

Title: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: rabidambulance on April 10, 2007, 02:33:22 am
Achewood featured in salon.com:

http://salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/04/10/onstad_qa/

http://salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/04/10/achewood_excerpt/

Basically, a convergence of my two essential web entities.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: linnea on April 10, 2007, 03:50:19 am
Achewood featured in salon.com:

http://salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/04/10/onstad_qa/

http://salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/04/10/achewood_excerpt/

Basically, a convergence of my two essential web entities.

Ugh. I hate the fact that Salon makes you watch an advert before they let you read the article. Anybody want to paste the text in the thread? I already have the cookbook, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 10, 2007, 04:05:27 am
I have never read those recipes before (i usually eat about 3 things, rotated, or soup for like a week straight) but they are hilarious.  Especially Beef's ( It is Beef, right?) article on wine.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: FutureDeadPerson on April 10, 2007, 07:41:39 am
I've been to Nueske's in the middle of nowhere, Wittenberg, WI.  It's this cool old shack straight out of 1933, complete with old-timey smokehouse.  You walk into this place and you can smell the smoked meat and the fresh buttermilk.  I've had the bacon referenced in the interview.  It's heaven.  They know how to make a pig sing long after its demise.  They gladly give out samples of these tasty meat pieces.  They don't have to sell you on anything.  The meat enters your body and DEMANDS that you buy all you can afford.

I pray that Onstad gets a supply of this bacon gold.  I don't know if it's "artisanal bacon".  More like ass-kicking-straight-from-the-farm strips of greatness.  It is very smoky(they have a less smoky variety that I have not had), as your lungs will turn black if you eat it on a regular basis.  However, it's just too godly to deny.  You will look at all other bacon as if it stole your wallet and then punched a kitten in the face.

They also have some of the best Wisconsin cheese in the dairyland.  You really would have to go there in person to see their full selection.  I've seen many of the little kiosks they have and they fall woefully short.  However, I doubt many people here will ever drive through Wittenberg, WI any time soon.  But if you ever do, you have to stop there.  You have to.  It should be a law.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2007, 02:01:51 am
That home fries recipe has changed my life for the better.

I know I've said this before but everybody needs to buy the cookbook. I am kind of worried to hear him say that the next one is going to be fancier - there really ought to always be a place for something like Roast Beef's childhood bologna sandwich.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: AugustWest on April 11, 2007, 04:15:26 am
My childhood bologna sandwich = (2 slices white bread + Hellman's Mayonnaise) + 2 slices giraffeer's bologna.

see also Braunsweiger; Pickle & Pimento Loaf; Cream Cheese, Olive & Nut; Egg Salad
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: Bimmicus on April 11, 2007, 05:54:36 am
I love how a couple of letter-writers at Salon are raking Onstad's ass over the coals for fomenting racism, class warfare and assorted miscellaneous acts of cultural fascism with his fuck*ng cookbook. Must be disgruntled PVP fans.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: theinevitable on April 11, 2007, 06:18:17 am
yeah. wow. I love people who have no sense of humor.

I should fuck*ng kill them. I should fuck*ng kill them and bury them in my yard.
FUCK THEM FOR NOT LIKING ACHEWOOD! FUCK SCOTT KURTZ!
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: jough on April 11, 2007, 01:08:37 pm
I can't make the site show me the content.

Can someone please paste it here or in the Wiki?
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 11, 2007, 01:31:11 pm
Ugh. I hate the fact that Salon makes you watch an advert before they let you read the article. Anybody want to paste the text in the thread? I already have the cookbook, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Just go directly to http://www.salon.com/news/cookie756.html and get your cookie and then bypass the ad
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 11, 2007, 05:08:27 pm
There are so many knees jerking in that Letters section that I thought I was in the middle of a virtual-reality ad for Requip.

Why do I ever go look at Salon? Every time I do, it makes my brain bleed.

(Except for Camille Paglia. She is a Good Egg.)
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 11, 2007, 05:23:44 pm

(Except for Camille Paglia. She is a Good Egg.)

This is the scariest consecutive pair of sentences in the English language.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: wombat on April 11, 2007, 05:29:59 pm
Oh wow I am so sorry I read that letters section.
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2007, 12:50:21 am
And now Huffington Post? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frankie-thomas/mourning-johnny-hart-and-_b_45430.html) There goes the neighborhood?  Although this is a profound observation:

Quote
Achewood (whose title simultaneously conjures up heartbreak and erections)
Title: Re: The joys of home fries and wine
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 12, 2007, 03:07:31 am
Quote
Achewood (whose title simultaneously conjures up heartbreak and erections)

I can't help but think "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail."