The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on April 12, 2007, 06:15:00 pm

Title: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 12, 2007, 06:15:00 pm
(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/245/456198268_8f1157bb1d.jpg?v=1176355003)

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/228/456212353_4b4cc46655.jpg?v=0)
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Doc on April 12, 2007, 10:34:57 pm
He looks pretty psyched about it too.
Also
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 12, 2007, 10:56:34 pm
He looks pretty psyched about it too.
Also
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's like a Tappy Tibbons retelling of the Tortoise and the Hare

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/228/456212353_4b4cc46655.jpg?v=0)
I AM SO PSYCHED THAT I AM NATURALLY FASTER THAN THAT WACKY OLD TORTOISE

(http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/images/crazyturtle.jpg)
I AM SO JUICED THAT SLOW AND STEADY WILL WIN THE RACE


Seriously folks, this is a PUMPED Aesop here
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: linnea on April 13, 2007, 02:01:59 am
That bunny is pretty gol-dang cute. However, not as cute as this Wii Scottish Fold (http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/2007/04/12/i-can-has-walkthrough/), imho. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fuck Ray and the SF-haters. Also, this bunny has the pouty little lower lip (http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/2007/04/03/oh-oh-teechr-plz-2-pik-me-hmph-fine-no-pik-me/), and that is just too hella cute in my opinion.

Also: Munchkin (http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/2007/04/12/oh-hai-does-you-has-new-legs-4-meh/) cats are hilarious.

When out of tissues, a cat is fine too (http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/2007/04/08/when-out-of-tissues-a-cat-is-fine-too/).
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: theinevitable on April 13, 2007, 04:00:03 am
...I do not like that picture. the one of the cat.
it bothers me. basically.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: linnea on April 13, 2007, 04:12:43 am
...I do not like that picture. the one of the cat.
it bothers me. basically.

Which one? The Scottish Fold with the Wii controller, or the Munchkin cat with the stubby li'l leggins, or the kitten in the tissue box?

At first I was really sad when I saw the Munchkins and thought it was hella cruel. Then I realized that they are just the Dachshunds of the cat world (Munchkins are bred and born that way, it's not like they get surgery to make their legs short). No big deal. I will always remember seeing a program on TV when the Munchkin breed first petitioned or whatever to be part of the CFA. They had a "cat psychologist" on there...this introverted looking woman in a New Age outfit with crystals and stuff saying in a breathy, weird, spacey voice that the cat might have "damaged self esteem" because it "sees other cats jumping and climbing and doing things that it cannot do."
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2007, 06:13:37 am
At first I was really sad when I saw the Munchkins and thought it was hella cruel. Then I realized that they are just the Dachshunds of the cat world (Munchkins are bred and born that way, it's not like they get surgery to make their legs short). No big deal. I will always remember seeing a program on TV when the Munchkin breed first petitioned or whatever to be part of the CFA. They had a "cat psychologist" on there...this introverted looking woman in a New Age outfit with crystals and stuff saying in a breathy, weird, spacey voice that the cat might have "damaged self esteem" because it "sees other cats jumping and climbing and doing things that it cannot do."

Interestingly, the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(cat)) seems to imply that they're actually very good jumpers and climbers, as well as being good hunters. It sounds like their quality of life is probably just fine.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2007, 09:09:53 am
"cat psychologist"

I know I'm not the greatest person in the world but I think I'm fairly open minded. That said this douche-bag hippy needs to get herself a real job.
Do cats even have the neural complexity to process the emotions necessary for self esteem? I would posit they do not.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 13, 2007, 12:52:34 pm
I know I'm not the greatest person in the world but I think I'm fairly open minded. That said this douche-bag hippy needs to get herself a real job.
Do cats even have the neural complexity to process the emotions necessary for self esteem? I would posit they do not.

Cats definitely have self-esteem in a sense because they have embarassment.

If my cat does something fucked up and clumsy like make an easy jump and miss and fall ungracefully, and she doesnt realize anyone has seen her, it's business as usual, tail up, life goes on

But if she does something fucked up and clumsy and I see it, then she's surly and hisses whenever I try to pet her, and she goes and hides as soon as she can.

Rudimentary self-esteem.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2007, 01:06:34 pm
In that case then they need get out in the real world and build some character.
It's a jungle out there y'know.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 13, 2007, 01:12:11 pm
Cats definitely have self-esteem in a sense because they have embarassment.

If my cat does something fucked up and clumsy like make an easy jump and miss and fall ungracefully, and she doesnt realize anyone has seen her, it's business as usual, tail up, life goes on

But if she does something fucked up and clumsy and I see it, then she's surly and hisses whenever I try to pet her, and she goes and hides as soon as she can.

Rudimentary self-esteem.

I also had an ex-girlfriend like this.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2007, 07:38:37 pm
Do cats even have the neural complexity to process the emotions necessary for self esteem? I would posit they do not.

Like Bobby says, they certainly have the capacity for embarrassment, which implies some degree of self-image.

Interestingly, to jack the thread (more) off topic, there's increasing evidence that forms of self-awareness may be more widespread than we think. For example, there was a recent study where rats were taught a task (discrimination between long and short tones) and given three options: the right answer (for a large food reward), the wrong answer (no food reward), or choosing not to answer the question (for a small one). They observed that rats were far more likely to opt out on difficult questions, ones they would get wrong without the opt-out option in place -- in other words, they were able in some way to assess their own ability to answer a question, and choose not to answer when they were in doubt. This is pretty high-level cognitive stuff.
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: robot_god on April 13, 2007, 08:08:27 pm
to jack the thread (more) off topic

I don't think it's necessary to insert that disclaimer into a thread called, "This bunny wins at the Internet."

Very interesting study, though.  Do you know where one could find the actual article?
Title: Re: This bunny wins at the Internet.
Post by: V-Adore on April 13, 2007, 08:11:14 pm
I don't think it's necessary to insert that disclaimer into a thread called, "This bunny wins at the Internet."

Very interesting study, though.  Do you know where one could find the actual article?

Here's the fulltext article from Current Biology (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VRT-4N97NYR-N&_user=10&_coverDate=03%2F20%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=73918b230eb326e3c458d5b4d65d48b0), and here's a summary of it from a blog post. (http://neurophilosophy.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/rats-are-capable-of-assessing-their-own-knowledge/)