The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on April 15, 2007, 03:51:05 pm

Title: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 15, 2007, 03:51:05 pm
Did anyone else see it?

I laughed my ass off and so did my friends but... I realize that such things might be made specifically for me and... I also laughed my ass off at the trailer for the action movie starring "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be funny.

It was, however, definitely one of those movies that's kinda inexplicable. I could tell you about the conversation we had driving back from it, about my love of peanut sauce, my friend Mark's hatred of peanut sauce and why this explains why he loves Indian food and hates Thai food and... it would tell you about as much about the linear plot of the film as anything else could.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2007, 04:28:07 pm
Oh yeah I meant to comment on that Stone Cold movie.  I didn't see the preview just a poster, but it seemed like they were ripping off GOF.  I did see a trailer for Disturbia.  Hey lets remake Rear Window as a Slasher film.  Puke!
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: slink on April 15, 2007, 04:57:52 pm
Looked to me likea hint of Battle Royale ripoff as well. Though they're not making a western version of that too... fuck*ng end of civilisation is nigh! Ugh.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on April 15, 2007, 06:53:40 pm
...this came out? How did I not know this?
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 15, 2007, 09:19:17 pm
Well, inev, opened on less than 900 screens so... like... you might not have had it out a screen near you and, hence, no advertising on anything other than Adult Swim itself.

I forget what your geographical location is but... hell, I live a half hour drive of actual Hollywood and even I only had two screens upon which ATHF was within a reasonable distance for viewing.

And, like, out here we're so media-saturated that even art films that you'd have to drive to a college town to see one screening a day of anywhere else are... so overpromoted and overexposed out here that you want to barf.

"Oh man, you're gonna see that three hour low-budget documentary about orphans in Afghanistan? Christ, I dunno. The ads are everywhere, it just seems so... commerical, you know?"
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 15, 2007, 09:27:53 pm
I found out about from here www.deadspin.com , but that is hell of annoying.

I used to like adult swim, then it just got old.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 15, 2007, 09:45:58 pm
Are you watching the correct parts of Adult Swim, Keith?

Yes, a lot of the original great shows are off the air and... yes, there's a lot of Seth-MacFarlane-related hossshit involved these days and... yes, the older stuff that's still around that was good has been re-run so often that they've kinda lost their kick but...

"Tom Goes To The Mayor" "Awesome Show Great Job" "Metalocalypse" "The Venture Brothers" and "Saul Of The Molemen" are all fuck*ng completely amazing.

"Squidbillies" is always interesting and... reruns of "Futurama" "Home Movies" and "Aqua Teen" still usually pack a punch. Occasionally, they'll still rotate "Space Ghost" or "Brak" or "Sealab" reruns into the late-late slots.

Granted, yeah, "Family Guy" is completely terrible, "American Dad" is completely terrible, most of the anime stuff is completely terrible, "***** Chicken" is completely hit-or-miss, "Moral Orel" is a lot more interesting to look at than it is funny and so on but...

If you pick and choose ala carte style, there is still some amazing shit goin' on, Swim-wise.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on April 15, 2007, 10:14:22 pm
damn. I watched the whole first season of Venture Brothers, and then my parents bought a new TV and apparently reset the tivo-esque thing. So, it stopped recording episodes, and I kind of forgot about it. That show was so good... I wrote a paper about it in 11th grade, it ruled.

Actually, this paper is entirely worthless. I seem to recall somehow "twisting" the paper assignment to say that the show was great. In fact (upon reading it over again), I basically said that the show was trash that taught kids that violence was cool. There were several places where I implied that the show was awesome and that the violence was all relatively tongue-in-cheek, but I never really said it.
Boo to me. Boo to that paper.

PS the fact that almost everything I've ever written is on this hard-drive had failed to depress me until now.
first pages of fantasy novels
saved AIM conversations in which girls implied that they might date me
saved AIM conversations in which I whine like a little bitch about some girl not liking me
bad poetry with thinly disguised sexual imagery which I thought was really clever and edgy
bad, bad, bad essays. for english class, for history, for college admittance.

although I have to say, I'm still kind of proud of a screaming man "thrusting himself endlessly into the dark mouth of the night". Although it's basically diction/concept stolen wholly from Ginsberg. Reading my old writing always reads like an archaeological study of what I was reading at the time. What sucks is that at the time, I always thought I was being really original and wasn't aware of any influences.

I really want to see ATHF. It's showing at a theater a short metro ride away... so maybe sometime this week.
LFM-- I am in St Louis, MO. But my hometown is Charlotte, NC. I will be back in Charlotte as of may 10th.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Doc on April 16, 2007, 09:30:43 am
I generally do something monumentally stupid to my computer every couple of years so I lose all my old data and don't run into this problem.

The adult swim we get over here isn't the same as what you guys get but I do know it needs more Harvey Birdman, Sealab, Venture Bros and Ghost in the Shell. The rest can go hang, ATHF and Brak Show are alright but only in small doses. I don't get that Tom goes to Mayor show at all.
Oh but ***** chicken is ok so long as it's not reruns.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Teatime on April 16, 2007, 09:02:51 pm
I feel ya, TheInevitable. I'll look some of my writing and be fantastically embarassed by it. I have about ten first six pages of novels. Inevitably, the funny bits will have been inadvertantly stolen from Terry Pratchett throw-away lines. At least the fantasy pages are originally awful.

I miss Space Ghost and the Brak show powerful much sometimes.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 25, 2007, 08:17:08 am
I saw the Aqua Teen movie tonight, completely blazed. I only really laughed hard at the intro thingy, which was hilarious and actually kind of cohesive. As for the rest of it....that whole thing doesn't make sense in 12-minute doses, and it made even less sense in 90 minutes. But I laughed a lot.

As for today's adult swim, I like it, but I don't watch that much television, and didn't when it was hot.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: linnea on June 03, 2007, 06:16:10 pm
One of my good friends up here, Megan, is a huge fan of ATHF. She has all the DVDs. I did not find it funny. I don't know why, it just irritated me that she liked it and I thought it was stupid. I guess I felt bad for straight-up hating something that she really likes?  ???
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 04, 2007, 03:18:46 am
Does anyone else here not watch TV? I don't want to be that guy who is a cool dick for not watching TV, I was just wondering.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: iron_felix on June 04, 2007, 04:12:31 am
I only ever use it to watch Braves games.  TBS has a new deal where as of next year they'll stop covering the Braves exclusively, at which point TV in Arizona will be completely useless to me.  My roommate owns our current TV set, so I think when the lease is up I may just pay for MLB.TV instead and watch that on my computer.

On the other hand, I would need a television if I ever wanted to play video games and/or rent movies.  I guess can always go to the thrift store and pick up an old tube TV with knobs and rabbit ears for that purpose, though.  The aesthetic appeal alone would be worth it.

I used to watch ATHF back in high school, but since I went off to college I just can't be bothered.  Assuming it hasn't gone the way of Sealab since that time, I still think it's hilariously funny.  But don't feel bad, Somebody nice.  Personally, I find that it's one of those shows like Beavis and Butt-Head that's even more enjoyable when you know other people think it's completely stupid.  That might just be me, though.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: linnea on June 04, 2007, 04:47:34 am
I only ever use it to watch Braves games.  TBS has a new deal where as of next year they'll stop covering the Braves exclusively, at which point TV in Arizona will be completely useless to me.  My roommate owns our current TV set, so I think when the lease is up I may just pay for MLB.TV instead and watch that on my computer.

On the other hand, I would need a television if I ever wanted to play video games and/or rent movies.  I guess can always go to the thrift store and pick up an old tube TV with knobs and rabbit ears for that purpose, though.  The aesthetic appeal alone would be worth it.

I used to watch ATHF back in high school, but since I went off to college I just can't be bothered.  Assuming it hasn't gone the way of Sealab since that time, I still think it's hilariously funny.  But don't feel bad, Somebody nice.  Personally, I find that it's one of those shows like Beavis and Butt-Head that's even more enjoyable when you know other people think it's completely stupid.  That might just be me, though.

A bunch of my friends up here are Grey's fanatics. I watched it a few times at their houses, but watching telly is hard work! You've got to figure out when your stupid shows are going to be on, then you have to plan to be around a television around those times, and that's just too much work for something that's not even very well written. I don't think television is worth it. Even if I had access to a TiVo, I don't think there's much that would captivate me to the point of recording it and watching it. WAIT...Carnivale was incredible. I did love that show. And Oz, which was terrifying and yet riveting. I don't have HBO so I only rented them from Netflix.

I think I'm just wound too tight. I hate the news because it's so horribly reported and obviously biased and sensationalistic, I hate commercials because they just piss me off...it's just easier to not watch it at all. However, I do have fond memories of going to friends' houses in Denver to watch hockey games. If they showed Red Versus Blue on TV I would watch that.

But yeah... I didn't necessarily find ATHF stupid per se...but I didn't laugh one single time. Megan was cracking up and I didn't want to seem like a dick...but I just didn't think it was funny. She is one of the raddest girls I have ever met, and it breaks my heart to move away and not get to hang out with her anymore.  :'( I know that I will find other cool girls to be pals with when I get to Denver... but the women that I got to know from the V-A-G-I-N-A Monologues and Megan are just too awesome. I'll have to send email updates to them, I guess. A poor substitute!
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 04, 2007, 05:05:21 am
I have been informed many times that I am a Sick Fuck for sometimes enjoying commericals.

I only watched TV this year because my roommate always had it on. Lots of horrible MTV shows. Wonderful fun. And, of course, South Park.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2007, 05:09:49 am
Hell TV is like anything else. 

There's good TV, mediocre TV and crap TV. 

95% of it falls in the last two categories.  That in no way lessens the value of the remaining 5%. 

These days I try to limit myself to partaking only of the 5% (and really only that portion of the 5% which appeals to my particular tastes).  TIVO is a wonderful tool to accomplish this end.

This sentiment pretty much applies to all forms of media/entertainment.  The percentages might vary a little.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Lister on June 04, 2007, 07:45:15 am
Generally these days I just watch Mike & Mike in the Morning (http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike).  On TiVo, 'cause it is broadcast on East Coast time and thus over before I wake up for the day.  If I manage to watch all of that in one day I will watch Good Eats or Mythbusters or something else TiVo has found for me to see.

I can't say I "don't watch TV," but there is very little channel surfing going on any more.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: smick on June 04, 2007, 08:47:52 am
I'm not much with the live TV.  I'm like a death ray with a singular aim to a very narrow set of shows.   Sitcoms come and go, and man I ain't never heard of them.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 04, 2007, 09:02:33 am
I watched a couple of games of the world series and tried to get into the football playoffs.  During these periods of watching television there were advertisements for upcoming shows.  None of them seemed very good.  I like Nova and Front Line, but I haven't watched them in a long time.  Seems like I saw Charlie Rose right after Vonnegut died.  It's gotten to the point now where I haven't even read the thread about whatever show it is y'all are talking about that may be spoilery.  I haven't seen many good movies lately either.  I saw Spiderman 3 two days ago.  It was not as good as it's predecessors.  I watched Sin City on DVD a couple of weeks ago.  I quite enjoyed it even while finding it completely ridiculous.  I see a lot of shit on youtube, does that count?  Stevie Wonder on Sesame Street was frikkin awesome.  Hell yeah!!!
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 04, 2007, 09:17:39 am
I watch Trailer Park Boys, Da Ali G Show, Sifl and Olly, early Simpons, The Wire, Seinfeld and the U.K. Office, all from torrents, dvds or the internet.  I watch Bill Maher and sports when I have cable.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2007, 01:34:42 pm
I grew up in a house where the TV was always on if somebody was home. We had 5 sets for 4 people. The only reason anybody listened to music was because they were in a car or the cable was out.

So I basically always have the TV on when I'm online or if I'm reading a book that isn't terribly complicated. Last night they didn't show the Simpsons for some reason so I watched reruns of The Tick and a disc of the big-ass Monty Python DVD set.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: side_show on June 04, 2007, 01:36:28 pm
I recently downloaded and watched tons of classic Iron Chef (Japan, not shittious American Iron Chef).  It is pretty awesome.  I mostly hate TV, and the pleasure I take from it is mostly a guilty one.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 04, 2007, 05:25:28 pm
During exams week, I watched almost every episode of South Park. I am not sure how this is possible, but, there you go.

Between the night before last and yesterday afternoon, I watched an entire season of seinfeld.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: jaydub on June 04, 2007, 10:48:01 pm
I'm thinking of returning to Tivo after a couple years of Dish's DVR (TiFaux) service.  I'm not sure whether this is just early-adopter fetishism, or whether there is some indefinable superiority to Tivo's version of the service.  I frequently find myself going "this list of recorded programming would have been better on Tivo".  I'm not surfing the HD wave (nor do I plan to be in the near future, although I do like the way sports look on it), so I'm not too worried about hard drive capacity (which may not even be an issue anymore - I just don't know).
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: RMJ12345 on June 06, 2007, 04:24:53 am
During exams week, I watched almost every episode of South Park. I am not sure how this is possible, but, there you go.

Between the night before last and yesterday afternoon, I watched an entire season of seinfeld.

Dude, how is that possible?  There are a lot of episodes of South Park.

I should not get on this board drunk.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: AugustWest on June 06, 2007, 04:34:44 am
I should not get on this board drunk.

If I didn't nobody would know me.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 06, 2007, 04:42:52 am
If I didn't nobody would know me.

Oh hells yeah.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 06, 2007, 07:00:33 am
ok, that is probably an exaggeration.

I watched every episode of southpark I could find for free on the internet that week. Later I found another site that had all of them, and watched the rest. Or, most of the rest.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: wombat on June 07, 2007, 02:12:43 am
watching telly is hard work! You've got to figure out when your stupid shows are going to be on, then you have to plan to be around a television around those times, and that's just too much work for something that's not even very well written.


I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report fairly often because they are on almost every night, so you have five chances a week to remember to watch.  And I watch The Wire because although it is hard to keep track of when those fancy HBO shows are happening, it IS well written so it's worth the effort and it only lasts for a couple or three months at a time.

But otherwise... I just saw 15 minutes of a new series by the studio that does the Wallace and Gromit movies - only because I happened to pick up the TV guide to move it off the couch at just the time that the show was on and saw a promo for it on the cover.  And I would love to watch it again, but the chance that I will remember what precise single half-hour of the week it is on is very remote. Oh, I'll remember, but it'll be the following day when I think "oh no, I missed that show again?"
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Golfhaus on June 08, 2007, 12:56:49 am
I called the cable company to get service installed in the house. I called them back not ten minutes when I realized I'd forgotten to get the DVR.

I swear, the DVR makes television so much better, but it's like crack. You can't not have it. I get pissed when I'm listening to the radio and hear something, and reach to rewind it.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: wombat on June 08, 2007, 02:26:03 am
I guess the DVR would solve my problem, remembering shows for me. I do think about it frequently. But the obstacle is... calling the cable company.

I wonder if they are aware that they lose business, from someone who wants to give them money for something that is like crack, because it is such a pain to call them?  Are they ignorant or are they making so much money that they don't care?
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: side_show on June 08, 2007, 01:12:11 pm
In Socialist Canada, cable company calls you!

No, seriously, the cable company calls us whenever they're offering new services - it's really not all that annoying, since they already have our business it's pretty low pressure.  Also we have call waiting on our TV, so we can avoid whoever we want without tearing our eyes away from whatever we're watching.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2007, 03:08:04 pm
Quote
I wonder if they are aware that they lose business, from someone who wants to give them money for something that is like crack, because it is such a pain to call them?  Are they ignorant or are they making so much money that they don't care?

I feel like you are in the minority, in that you are not desperate for more TV.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 08, 2007, 08:28:44 pm
Also we have call waiting on our TV, so we can avoid whoever we want without tearing our eyes away from whatever we're watching.

Wow. I never heard of that shit. Are you sure you don't live in the US? That seems like a quintessentially American innovation.

Apropos of nothing, does it bother Canadians when people in the US refer to themselves as American? Because of you folks living in North America too, I mean.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: side_show on June 08, 2007, 09:31:32 pm
Yes, when I heard this was offered, I thought "What the fuck?" but it comes free with our phone plan, and it's really really nice since we're usually watching something news-like around dinner time when all the call centres go into overdrive, so we've already avoided a lot of suffering.  Plus, now that mum knows I have call display she doesn't call two dozen times in a row until I pick up.

Re: Americans - The one thing I found interesting at that international conference I went to was that no one confused Canadians for Americans.  I really thought that would be common, but not once did I get confused for American.  Once or twice for Australian, never American.  If the Asians were going to lump us into a large group, it was Westerners, which included Europe, Canada, and all of America.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2007, 01:50:46 am
Are you talking about Caller ID that shows up on the TV?  If so, my parents have this.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2007, 02:13:05 am

Re: Americans - The one thing I found interesting at that international conference I went to was that no one confused Canadians for Americans.

I have often read travel advice that suggests that if you go somewhere that doesn't like Americans, you should say you are Canadian.  So, you're saying people are not that easy to fool?
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: jaydub on June 09, 2007, 03:22:51 am
All they'd have to do is ask you who the premier is, or what the Canadian political parties are, and they'd know that not only are you American, but you're a lying American.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: linnea on June 09, 2007, 03:38:20 am
All they'd have to do is ask you who the premier is, or what the Canadian political parties are, and they'd know that not only are you American, but you're a lying American.

HAHAHAH!!!

But yes, smells, that is true. A lot of my friends have said that they're Canadian while traveling abroad. Thanks, United States ugly Americans, for giving the rest of us a bad name.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: side_show on June 09, 2007, 03:42:56 am
Well they didn't confuse any of the Canadians for Americans, but they did confuse the nice Americans for Canadians fairly often.  There was basically one American there who was the stereotypical American-abroad-type (expecting special treatment, ordering people around, rude at every opportunity - total Hunts moves at every turn) who came with her partner and those two were constantly referred to as "the Americans" with the roll of the eyes.

Also, yes, I have caller ID on TV, but we have visual call waiting on the TV as well.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2007, 06:38:31 am
probably one of the happiest moments of my life... was when I tried to speak Italian in Italy, and a guy started talking to me in Spanish. Apparently I speak every foreign language with a Spanish accent. My Arabic and Latin teachers can attest to this.

Also: one of the Chaperones thought I was one of the Italian students. That one is harder to explain.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: iron_felix on June 09, 2007, 09:16:00 am
When I'm abroad I just tell people I'm British.  Thanks to my accent, they're usually more inclined to believe that anyway, even back here in the States.  However, when you are in Europe and you are tall and have fair skin and blond hair and blue eyes, if you keep your mouth shut you may get mistaken for a German.  Depending on where you are, that can be even worse than being outed as a Yankee.

Back when I was a kid my family went on a trip to Northern Italy.  At one point we stopped at a nice cafe on Lake Como, and the waitress there presented us with a menu in German.  We explained that we were British, and she apologized and came back with an English one.  While deciding what to order, we noticed that all the prices on the second menu were lower than they were on the first.

A bit less flattering than if they had thought we were Spanish, but I guess that's just how it goes.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: RMJ12345 on June 09, 2007, 10:42:59 am
However, when you are in Europe and you are tall and have fair skin and blond hair and blue eyes, if you keep your mouth shut you may get mistaken for a German. 

My blonde, blue-eyed younger brother Isaac was 14 and already six feet when we went to England and Paris when I was sixteen, and he would regularly have people greet him "Guten tag!"

To which he would enthusiastically respond "Hello!"

On another note, my youngest brother, who is only 13, is already six foot two and fast coming up on six three. And he's got Nicole Richie's waist. I'm seriously related to some weird hybrid of an NBA superstar and Jughead.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 17, 2007, 05:23:53 am
I've been to England several times and I never hid my national identity.  Everyone seemed to treat me very nicely.  I wonder why I wasn't stereotyped?

Why would a Canadian be upset that Americans call themselves American?  That is silly.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: side_show on June 17, 2007, 05:47:30 am
What?  Which Canadian is upset by that?  Not me.  I don't understand what's going on. 
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: wombat on June 17, 2007, 01:43:32 pm
All they'd have to do is ask you who the premier is, or what the Canadian political parties are, and they'd know that not only are you American, but you're a lying American.

But do Europeans know the right answers to these questions?
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: smick on June 17, 2007, 06:17:46 pm
But, a Canadian made me an honorary Canadian once.  They even gave me some of their currency, with a picture of their king on it.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 17, 2007, 07:22:51 pm
in my understanding, some South Americans get pissed off when US-ians call themselves "American," as technically any citizen of north, central, or south America would count as an "American."
So, in Spanish, the word "Ustadosunidense" exists, apparently. Roughly translated by my spanish teacher to mean "United Statesian." Which is dumb.

Way to have a stick up your ass, South America. you'd think we'd installed a bunch of dictators in your country, or taken advantage of you economically, or... something.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 18, 2007, 05:40:50 am
in my understanding, some South Americans get pissed off when US-ians call themselves "American," as technically any citizen of north, central, or south America would count as an "American."
So, in Spanish, the word "Ustadosunidense" exists, apparently. Roughly translated by my spanish teacher to mean "United Statesian." Which is dumb.

Way to have a stick up your ass, South America. you'd think we'd installed a bunch of dictators in your country, or taken advantage of you economically, or... something.

I covered this. Fuck a bunch of Americans right in their puckered bungholes.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 18, 2007, 05:53:55 am
I agree with the South Americans.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 18, 2007, 09:24:13 am
Who the hell identifies themselves by what continent they live on?  Except of course for African Americans who don't actually live on the continent they identify themselves with.

Oh and i've been meaning to ask, what the hell is Teen Hunger Force and what does it have to do with the rights of Americans to identify themselves by the name of their country.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: side_show on June 18, 2007, 01:13:42 pm
Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a cartoon about a giant milk shake (aka "Shake) a giant container of French Fries (aka Frylock) and a ball of meat (aka Meat Wad) who generally hang out at their slummy house and annoy their neighbour: a very white trash guy named Carl.  This is interwoven with a variety of different alien characters who appear - many of whom seek to destroy the main characters.  The whole show is built on an irreverent and random style of comedy much like Brak or Harvey Birdman, but with it's own flavour.  It's very entertaining stuff, but it fits in with a genre of entertainment almost tailor made for the stoner crowd.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: CortJstr on June 18, 2007, 01:17:15 pm
Oh and i've been meaning to ask, what the hell is Teen Hunger Force and what does it have to do with the rights of Americans to identify themselves by the name of their country.

Assuming the questions are genuine:

1) Aqua Teen Hunger Force is an 11-minute show on the Adult Swim block of the Cartoon Network. It started on an episode of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast with the 3 mascots of a fictional fast food chain. Master Shake (the jerkass), Frylock (the sensible one you identify with), and Meatwad whose slogan is "the bun is in your mind" (the moron). For the most part the show has dis-continuity. So many episodes end with main characters dead and/or the end of the world only to be completely ignored next episode. They recently released a movie (Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters) which even fan boys agree was a bad idea because 11 minutes does not convert to 87 very well.

If you think Family Guy has its moments then ATHF is something you might enjoy. If you're not a fan, or like to claim that you can't even make it through an episode because it's currently the trendy pretentious thing to do then definitely skip this show.

2) Wandering threads rule.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Nabubrush on June 18, 2007, 05:15:09 pm
Who the hell identifies themselves by what continent they live on?  Except of course for African Americans who don't actually live on the continent they identify themselves with.

And how come they get two continents?
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 18, 2007, 07:22:15 pm
Quote from: CortJstr
If you think Family Guy has its moments then ATHF is something you might enjoy. If you're not a fan, or like to claim that you can't even make it through an episode because it's currently the trendy pretentious thing to do then definitely skip this show.

I dunno.

I love ATHF about two-thirds of the time and... I believe Family Guy is the laziest worst thing on television since "Friends" went off the air. If you want to show the dividing line between "all-over-the-place stoner humour" and "lazy writing POSING as all-over-the-place stoner humour" you just have to watch those shows back to back.

I'm not saying that ATHF is for everyone but... ATHF is genuinely the work of weird disjointed comedy minds who are writing for their own senses of humour and maybe you agree with them and maybe you don't... whereas Family Guy is just the stalest most-rehashed excuse for television humour spiced up with fart jokes and offensive racial humour then wrapped in a layer of intelligence-insulting pop-culture shout-outs that aren't even jokes.

Once or twice an episode, "Family Guy" goes so far over the line in terms of offensiveness that I'll get a belly laugh but other than that... nothing. It's paint-by-number comedy, it's vaudeville for stock brokers in their middle thirties who think they're still "edgy". Bleh.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: CortJstr on June 18, 2007, 08:35:34 pm
Both shows have their moments and fall into what I would call Perfectly Acceptable Entertainment. Not going to win any awards but fine background diversion while online or cooking dinner or whatever. Family Guy has enough genuinely funny moments to keep me watching (the Hinden-Peter comes to mind). AT has lots of moments of utter crap itself. The entire Dickisode, for example.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 18, 2007, 09:04:26 pm
The question was semi genuine as I had never heard of the show prior to this thread, but from reading through I did gather most of the pertinent details.  Thanks for the comparison to Family Guy.  Now I know it's something I am not sad i've missed.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 18, 2007, 10:22:25 pm
I agree with LFM completely and don't like either show.  Well, I guess I would take issue with the stoner humor label, but that isn't really important.

Also, Cort, it doesn't mean that ATHF won't be bad occasionally, just that they try.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: Golfhaus on June 19, 2007, 01:18:37 am
Huh. I like ATHF, and love Family Guy. I guess that makes me defective somehow.

I won't lose much sleep over that though. I've never understood why Family Guy earns so much derision.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: AugustWest on June 19, 2007, 03:22:29 pm
Of the three I like ***** Chicken best.  Family Guy has its occasional moments.  ATHF doesn't do much for me.

Anybody else watching Shin Chan?  I love that fartin' 5 year old!
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 19, 2007, 04:35:50 pm
I miss Milk Chan. It was the first TV show I've ever seen where I just knew it was awesome without ever really needing to laugh or understand. I forget everything about it, except that I loved it.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 19, 2007, 06:54:56 pm
Yeah ***** Chkcken is funny.  Way moreso than Family Guy.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: V-Adore on June 19, 2007, 06:57:37 pm
Me, I'm just waiting to be disqualified from my generation for not watching enough TV. (Also, for not having an intense nostalgia for the Transformers.)
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2007, 06:59:38 pm
the dividing line between "all-over-the-place stoner humour" and "lazy writing POSING as all-over-the-place stoner humour"

I just checked back in to this thread to be sure that I still had no idea what the *(&% youall were talking about.  Correct, but that made it worth it.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: CortJstr on June 19, 2007, 08:11:27 pm
I think ***** Chicken took longer to hit its stride. The first couple episodes had too much, "look! It's Optimus Prime peeing! Remember him?"
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 19, 2007, 08:19:40 pm
Quote from: CortJstr
I think ##### Chicken took longer to hit its stride. The first couple episodes had too much, "look! It's Optimus Prime peeing! Remember him?"

See, to me?

That's EVERY joke in Family Guy.

"Oh my God, it's the Kool-Aid Man! He came through a wall! I remember when that happened once!"

"Adam West and/or William Shatner talk funny! No one has ever made that joke before!"

"The baby talks like that guy on that one campy old science fiction show that fuck*ng-everyone has an impression of! That's completely new and edgy somehow!"

And when they wanna ramp it up...

"I remember the Kool-Aid Man... AND HE'S PEEING! OMG LOLZORS!"

"Adam West and William Shatner talk funny... EVEN FUNNIER WHEN THEY'RE POOPING! OMG LOLZORS!"

"The guy the baby talks like MIGHT HAVE MAYBE BEEN GAY! OMG LOLZORS!"

Meh.

Meh meh meh.

Family Guy gets points for its occasionally genuine mean-spirited contempt for our culture and... points for absolutely nothing else, as far as I'm concerned.

If you could take the contempt of a Family Guy, divest it of all its lowest-common-denominator writing-jokes-by-watching-old-teevee-and-lifting-the-jokes pretending-that-a-shout-out-is-actually-a-joke bullshit and... infuse it into a smart multilayered all-over-the-place comedy like... Futurama... where the ONLY flaw was a soft underbelly of sentimentality that occasionally overwhelmed the humour...

You'd pretty much have the ultimate animated comedy.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: theinevitable on June 19, 2007, 08:38:33 pm
I love futurama so much.

also: stewie... is supposed to talk like someone? really?
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: CortJstr on June 19, 2007, 08:54:40 pm
Adam West is absolute comedy gold on Family Guy. Any scene involving Brian actually being a dog is hilarious. And the Parade Route gag from the pilot is one of TV's finest moment.

Although I'd rather see a few pop-culture references as manatee gags on Family Guy or 30 second bits on ***** Chicken than 12 minute versions on SNL. Or anything related to Tim and Eric who apparently actively try to be boring and awkward.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 19, 2007, 09:40:21 pm
Oh, ***** Chicken, I like sometimes. I find it terribly scattershot but sometimes it's great.

And... yeah, watching paint dry beats basically anything in the last ten years of SNL. The dividing line is "when Phil Hartman left"... it all went downhill from there.

I love Tim and Eric however. Their deep disgusted loathing of the Wal-Mart life is beauty and glory to me. Their bald-faced contempt informs and underpins all of their work and I love it so so so much.

They did a DVD signing in the heart of Hollywood and only like 15 people showed up.

I was one of them.
Title: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie?
Post by: smick on June 20, 2007, 03:26:46 am
I've been checking my the internet, and I have yet to figure out when "Kitty Cat Man" is going to be on.  Is it going to be on CW?