The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on April 16, 2007, 03:02:13 am

Title: Used Cars.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 16, 2007, 03:02:13 am
I have $7K-$8K to spend on a used car, but I have no idea how I should go about spending that money. I want a Honda Accord like I had growing up, but I know that's probably out of my range.

Can I trust sites like CarMax? Are they easy to deal with? Where should I get insurance?

I want something that won't break down and will last me a while, with good gas mileage. And I would like manual transmission, though that's negotiable. The rest is just gravy.

I am completely lost as to what I should do. What cars age well? I don't know.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 16, 2007, 03:05:50 am
Like any small Honda or Toyota that has been treated decent from the last 15 years.

I like the last body model (i think, maybe second to last) Honda Prelude quite a lot.  I have a newer Toyota though.  It only cost me about 5k more than you have to spend (new), so i am sure you can find a decent one for relatively cheap. 

Edit:  Here is the Honda I was talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2001-10-23_NikonE880_dscn1909.jpg

Edit, again:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CAR-DEALER-TRADE-ONE-OWNER-SMOKE-FREE_W0QQitemZ320103739628QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6259QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is a pretty good one, just to give you an idea.  It has 115,000 miles, and you can probably expect 200-250,000 with a car like this.  Other advice:  don't buy it on ebay.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: pmcd9 on April 16, 2007, 03:08:16 am
I have a Toyota Echo that gets 35 mpg, is sporty and comfortable.  It has 100 k miles and has never given any trouble whatsoever.  I think I paid $8500 for it.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 16, 2007, 03:38:15 am
A... college student has eight grand to spend on a used car and I barely have three to do the same.

Don't try to get into film, kids.

It is like going to grad school, only you don't even get a piece of paper at the end of the deal.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 16, 2007, 03:44:05 am
A... college student has eight grand to spend on a used car and I barely have three to do the same.

My parents are SERIOUSLY generous. I don't know what happened to them. They used to be very kind of stingy with us, and then I got to be college age, and they're like "Here. We're going to pay for $15K-$20+K of your schooling every year and then all this other shit on top of it!" The only stipulations are staying out of trouble and excellent grades. I have actually been a pretty good kid since I got to college - my parents always secretly wanted an overachiever, and now they finally have one!

They're very nice. I love them. But they spoil me.

ETA: So, I should still consider Hondas/Toyotas if they have upwards of 80K miles on them? I generally thought that I should look for cars that have a low number of miles on them.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 16, 2007, 03:51:53 am
Well, I mean, obviously you want the smallest amount of miles, I just wouldn't completely rule out one with around 100.000, if it is in good shape and a better deal/ nicer car,etc.  You probably shouldn't go higher than 100,000 for sure.  I just found a car really quickly with around 100000 miles, so I wasn't trying to say anything like that, or whatever.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: robot_god on April 16, 2007, 04:33:17 am
ETA: So, I should still consider Hondas/Toyotas if they have upwards of 80K miles on them? I generally thought that I should look for cars that have a low number of miles on them.

Yeah, especially if they're not too old.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: slink on April 16, 2007, 04:28:50 pm
I've got a Nissan that I was damn lucky to get with about 50k on the clock. It's now up to about 74k but is still going fairly strong. The one downside to a car this age is that just about every time it needs an MOT and tax I have to fix something on it... But finding an ex fleet car can be ideal, as they tend to sell them off cheap before they've done that many miles.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: theinevitable on April 16, 2007, 07:38:57 pm
dang. The concept of one day needing to buy a car is upsetting to me. The summer after this one, when both my brother and I will be driving (right now he's 15) and competing for the use of the same car... will suck.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 17, 2007, 12:00:15 am
dang. The concept of one day needing to buy a car is upsetting to me. The summer after this one, when both my brother and I will be driving (right now he's 15) and competing for the use of the same car... will suck.

Watch out for little brothers. I would be happily tooling around in a 1989 Accord with ~115k on it, but it is dead after a year with my brother.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2007, 03:35:44 am
I've got a '99 Chevy Silverado, 70k miles, 4x4, $2500 in aftermarket stereo equipment - you can have that for $8000.

After you buy it, I'm going to get me one of these. (http://build.nissanusa.com/configurator/app?service=external/Summary&mo=2007:z&bs=350z&tr=_TE_CTG&ec=BW5&us=2|27|39|45|48&se=12|19|2|27|33|39|45|48&pv=2|24|25|26|27|28|29|3|30|31|37|38|39|4|40|42|43|44|45|47|48|5|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|6|60|61|7|8&pc=27|39|4|45|48&psel=12|19|27|3|33|39|4|45|48&ps=K96|1&zipcode=97215) I can't wait.
Title: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: linnea on July 04, 2007, 01:22:12 am
Okay party people. Advice time. I just moved back to Denver, a place where having a reliable car is a must.

I have enough to put about $2K down on a vehicle, and financing should permit me to get a car for about $10K total. Of course, if it's financed I would have to have full auto insurance on it. Boo to that. Anyway, I hear good things about vehicles made by Toyota. I would like to buy a used Toyota with reasonable mileage (say, fewer than 70K). For reasons known only to him, my dad thinks that I should buy a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. I am heavily inclined to ignore his advice and get the Camry or similar. I mean... a low-end vehicle that's a relatively new model year? I don't think a Cobalt would be a very good choice. My dad drives a relatively new Chevy Silverado, and he bought his wife a 2006 Toyota Rav4 when it was new. Then again, one of my good friends bought a Ford Focus brand new in 2003, and she's had pretty good luck with it. I guess that a Cobalt is in the same class as a Focus.

Do you guys have any advice? I've never bought a vehicle from a dealer before, just bought them from people I knew. I have only owned three vehicles in my lifetime. In chronological order: 1988 Nissan Stanza, 1993 Buick, 1986 1/2 Nissan Pathfinder.  I've looked at a lot of vehicles from craigslist and a lot of them are from small, sketchy-looking dealerships. Basically I am not sure what to do.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 04, 2007, 01:37:29 am
If you go at the right time of year you could probably get like a Toyota Corolla for a little over 10k.  That was back in 03, though, when I last looked at cars.

You can get a really nice used Honda or Toyota for 10k, and that is what I would do. 
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: AugustWest on July 04, 2007, 04:54:29 am
I wouldn't call a Camry a "low-end" vehicle.  Not luxury, but not a shitbox either. 

Also, do you need a car that big?  I think you can get a new Yaris for about 11K.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: linnea on July 04, 2007, 05:28:06 am
I wouldn't call a Camry a "low-end" vehicle.  Not luxury, but not a shitbox either. 

Also, do you need a car that big?  I think you can get a new Yaris for about 11K.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the Cobalt as a "low end vehicle" that's a relatively new model. The Camry has been around for a long time and it's a relatively nice sedan. No offense to the Camry.

The Yaris is really cute... I'm not sure about getting a new model though...the Consumer Reports seem to have bad things to say about new models.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: Lister on July 04, 2007, 05:56:03 am
I'm a blind Nissan fanboy, so take that into consideration when I say: consider an Altima (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_36_%7CB-11000%7CD-_331_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-80205&aff=national&paId=232312268&recnum=1&leadExists=true).

In general I would go with a mainline model from an established line over a new model.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: linnea on July 04, 2007, 06:04:30 am
I'm a blind Nissan fanboy, so take that into consideration when I say: consider an Altima (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_36_%7CB-11000%7CD-_331_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-80205&aff=national&paId=232312268&recnum=1&leadExists=true).

In general I would go with a mainline model from an established line over a new model.

Hmmmm....as you can tell from my ownership record I am also a Nissan fan. Of course, I've only had old beater pieces of shit, so a new Altima would be schweet.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: linnea on July 04, 2007, 05:01:22 pm
You want a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/ an I-6 and 4x4 w/ 67k on it in excellent shape 'cept for a little brush striping you can come get it for $7300. Tinted windows, Single CD & Tape + Stereo, Roof Rack, Power Windows/Brake/Steering. No bloodstains.

How much for delivery to Denver, Ash> ;)
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: wombat on July 04, 2007, 05:27:05 pm
No bloodstains.

Not even in the trunk?

I swear we had a thread about car-buying advice once before, but I can't find it.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: jough on July 04, 2007, 06:22:12 pm
How long a drive is it to Denver from Orange County?  I'm sure it would be a nice way to get to know your new vehicle.

Now, is that $7300 the "friend" price or the Kelly Blue Book value?

Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 04, 2007, 08:18:21 pm
Not even in the trunk?

I swear we had a thread about car-buying advice once before, but I can't find it.

We did. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3623.0.html)

You can have my '99 Chevy Silverado w/ extended cab and ridiculous stereo for $8000. It's got about 70k miles on it. And I'm relatively nearby. I'd probably even drive it out if you wanted, but you'd really have to commit to buying it.


Blood sprays right out of that bedliner. Or so I'm told.
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: linnea on July 05, 2007, 12:24:14 am
We did. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3623.0.html)

You can have my '99 Chevy Silverado w/ extended cab and ridiculous stereo for $8000. It's got about 70k miles on it. And I'm relatively nearby. I'd probably even drive it out if you wanted, but you'd really have to commit to buying it.


Blood sprays right out of that bedliner. Or so I'm told.

Ooooh. That sounds awesome. Let me think about it. I love Silverados. My dad has one and it's a thing of beauty to drive. Plus very badass. What kind of shape is it in?
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: linnea on July 05, 2007, 12:30:13 am
I've got a '99 Chevy Silverado, 70k miles, 4x4, $2500 in aftermarket stereo equipment - you can have that for $8000.

After you buy it, I'm going to get me one of these. (http://build.nissanusa.com/configurator/app?service=external/Summary&mo=2007:z&bs=350z&tr=_TE_CTG&ec=BW5&us=2|27|39|45|48&se=12|19|2|27|33|39|45|48&pv=2|24|25|26|27|28|29|3|30|31|37|38|39|4|40|42|43|44|45|47|48|5|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|6|60|61|7|8&pc=27|39|4|45|48&psel=12|19|27|3|33|39|4|45|48&ps=K96|1&zipcode=97215) I can't wait.

Oh god, the new Z's are pure sex. I love them. Of course, I would never buy one living in Colorado because they're rear-wheel drive. Would never make it in the snow.

***EDIT: Mods, can you fuse my topic (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3779.0.html) into this one?
Title: Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 05, 2007, 01:38:34 am
The only issue is some paint scuffs and a 1 cm hole in the driver's seat upholstery. Everything else about it is solid, and I've kept receipts for every penny I've spent on it, apart from gas.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 05, 2007, 04:50:58 pm
That price is off the top of Asherdan's head 'cause he wanted to use the word 'bloodstains'. The actual TOUAMBIE good fellow price is $6300.

Hey Nabu, does the truck have a tow package set up and receiver/hitch? What kind of bedliner? Still have accessible in bed tie downs?

1) Yes.
2) Standard pop-in (not sprayed in).
3) Tie-downs accessible in bed and on bed rails (the ones on the bed rails fold down so you can throw on a shell). Also, the bed rails have protectors.

I should point out that the vehicle is a 4x4 but does not have AC. It has manual seats and windows. It has molded hood and window protectors and behind-wheel splash guards. It has a "What the Hell, People" sticker, but it's on the tailgate rail protector for ease of removal (stickers there include "can I be punk too?" and "whitey will pay").
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: smick on July 05, 2007, 11:06:40 pm
(Making a mental note, for in town driving.)
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2007, 01:48:22 am
(Making a mental note, for in town driving.)

It's so fun to watch people's reactions as they pass me after seeing the 'whitey' sticker.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: jough on July 11, 2007, 12:36:22 pm
A friend of mine got me a little "Whitey Will Pay" button from unamerican.com, and I used to wear it on the bus when I was commuting to work.

I'd get a lot of stares, but it was so small that people had to get in close to read it.  One time, this black lady got off the bus, leaned in to read the button (double-take style) and looked me in the face and said "mmm-HMMMM!"

Clean livin'.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2007, 02:07:21 pm
I had a guy jog down our street, go a little past the truck, make a u-turn and read all the stickers intently. When he jogged off it was with an evident look of distaste.

I also had a car full of young black men overtake me on the freeway - their looks of unadulterated joy quickly turned to confusion. I kind of felt bad for them.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: side_show on July 11, 2007, 03:55:16 pm
I'd get a lot of stares, but it was so small that people had to get in close to read it.  One time, this black lady got off the bus, leaned in to read the button (double-take style) and looked me in the face and said "mmm-HMMMM!"

Happiness.

I also had a car full of young black men overtake me on the freeway - their looks of unadulterated joy quickly turned to confusion. I kind of felt bad for them.

Double Happiness.

Also, this reminds me of this t-shirt for local hip-hop group Dead Indians (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=26328381&albumID=0&imageID=161125).  It would take a lot of balls for a white guy to wear this shirt I think.

Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2007, 04:10:07 pm
Also, this reminds me of this t-shirt for local hip-hop group Dead Indians (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=26328381&albumID=0&imageID=161125).  It would take a lot of balls for a white guy to wear this shirt I think.

You must be logged in to do that!

I'm pretty sure I've seen the shirt before, though - if it's the one I'm thinking of, they aren't the only ones who put it out.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: side_show on July 11, 2007, 04:15:45 pm
Oops, sorry... it's the Clevland Indians Logo, done up in black and white with x'ed out eyes.  I saw a kid on the bus wearing this t-shirt a few weeks ago, and he got up to give an old lady his seat, and she was actually afraid to take it.  It was really weird.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 11, 2007, 04:19:31 pm
I had a shirt that was the "classic" shirt dude (all the alcohol, sex, marijuana stupid shirts with the almost silhouette dude) that said "Everything is Gonna Be All White."  The money went to a Native American school in Colorado called the Fightin' Whites, and it also said that on the shirt, with the school name on the back.  I thought it was funny as a High Schooler, but it was awkward wearing it in my African American class freshman year while reading slave women's liberation poetry to the class.  That was the last day I wore it.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2007, 04:29:01 pm
Oops, sorry... it's the Clevland Indians Logo, done up in black and white with x'ed out eyes.  I saw a kid on the bus wearing this t-shirt a few weeks ago, and he got up to give an old lady his seat, and she was actually afraid to take it.  It was really weird.

I was wrong - that was not the shirt I was thinking of.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 11, 2007, 05:19:50 pm
My brother and I had a running gag of trying to come up with the strangest ideas for t-shirts.

One of them was just the Cleveland Indians Indian face with the words "SO fuck*ng HIGH" encircling his visage.

Another one was a skeleton in a leather jacket with a pink mohawk and the phrase "SKOOLZ OUT!" in ragged letters underneath.

We... we're pretty awesome, you understand.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: jaydub on July 11, 2007, 05:22:57 pm
My brother and I had a running gag of trying to come up with the strangest ideas for t-shirts.

One of them was just the Cleveland Indians Indian face with the words "SO fuck*ng HIGH" encircling his visage.

Another one was a skeleton in a leather jacket with a pink mohawk and the phrase "SKOOLZ OUT!" in ragged letters underneath.

We... we're pretty awesome, you understand.

That must be in a Nightlife Mingus sort of way :)
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2007, 06:39:35 pm
Is there really a Native American school with a team called the Fighting Whites?  Wait, never mind, don't tell me if there isn't.  It's too good not to be true.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2007, 06:49:45 pm
Is there really a Native American school with a team called the Fighting Whites?  Wait, never mind, don't tell me if there isn't.  It's too good not to be true.


Chris Rock had a funny bit about sports nicknames . . . can't find it on YouTube, unfortunately.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: smick on July 11, 2007, 06:57:49 pm
Is there really a Native American school with a team called the Fighting Whites?  Wait, never mind, don't tell me if there isn't.  It's too good not to be true.


There is.  I seem to recall some controversy about it a year or two back, and they made some national news.


Here we go:  Circa 2002, it appears.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Whites
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2007, 07:14:24 pm

A little different from Keith's rendition of the story, but still good.

And the tshirts! (http://www.cafepress.com/fightinwhite/)
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: jaydub on July 11, 2007, 08:37:34 pm
The hillbilly mascot is awesome.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 15, 2007, 12:39:30 am
The shirt I was thinking of I actually saw today. It's this one (http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazoyX0YuanBnfGxvYWQ9TDAsaHR0cDovL2ltYWdlcy5jYWZlcHJlc3MuY29tL2ltYWdlLzQ0MTk2OTNfNDAweDQwMC5qcGd8fHNjYWxlPUwwLDE3MCwxNjIsV2hpdGV8Y29tcG9zZT1ibGFuayxMMCxBZGQsMTU1LDEyNXxjcD1yZXN1bHQsYmxhbmt8c2NhbGU9cmVzdWx0LDAsNDgwLFdoaXRlfGNvbXByZXNzaW9uPTk1fA==).
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: side_show on July 15, 2007, 02:36:18 am
Ah yes, I was going to post a link to that one... but I don't think a white guy would get beaten for wearing that one.  I'm pretty sure you'd get a high five.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: theinevitable on July 15, 2007, 05:34:20 am
is that what that shirt is? I stared at it for a good couple of minutes, not sure what exactly it was going for.
Title: Re: Used Cars.
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 15, 2007, 09:36:04 am
A little different from Keith's rendition of the story, but still good.

And the tshirts! (http://www.cafepress.com/fightinwhite/)

Yeah, I haven't wore that in a long time, haven't thought about its origins in even longer.