The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Teatime on April 17, 2007, 11:40:19 pm

Title: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: Teatime on April 17, 2007, 11:40:19 pm
I imagine that many people here have at some point in their lives thought of making a webcomic. I imagine most people came to the conclusion that they lacked some combination of time, consistent cleverness, or discipline to actually do one.

So I think we could do something along these lines (http://qwantz.com/apologies/about.html).

It's not terribly complicated. I imagine it going something like this:

1. Sign up (presumably here)
2. Send in a textless (word balloons optional) comic to some organizer (likely me).
3. Wait for a textless comic image created by a fellow touamb member to be sent to you (again by some undecided organizer).
4. Post the results in a thread created for this purpose.
5. Garnish with mint, if desired.

It is basically a kind of caption contest exchange kind of deal. Would anybody be interested? Do you have any suggestions? This is where you can post them!
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: V-Adore on April 17, 2007, 11:49:39 pm
I think that would be pretty damn cool.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2007, 12:12:42 am
I have definitely never thought about making a webcomic, not even for a second.

I think this would be awesome but maybe more to watch other people being clever than trying to do it myself, you know? I think I could do pictures, but of course that's the easy part - then evillly dumping them on someone else who has to make them funny...
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: Teatime on April 18, 2007, 12:17:32 am
My initial idea was to have everyone who participated do a picture and write a comic, but this is totally for convenience's sake. If we can get the numbers to work out with some people just drawing and others just writing that would be optimal.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2007, 12:45:09 am
In theory, I would love to be involved in this. Drawing or writing or both.

In practice, my graphic design skills are so completely limited that I have no idea how I'd contribute.

I... wouldn't even know how to put text on someone else's art and I'd just barely know how to scan in my own and send it on to you.

But if it got off the ground, I'd certainly try.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: Drygioni on April 18, 2007, 06:47:09 am
I'm happy doing some writing. My painting skills literally extend to Paint, so I can't draw up any juicy panels unless amateurness is okay.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2007, 08:04:15 am
I have to presume amateurishness is just fine. Otherwise, well, I'm in trouble too.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: Doc on April 18, 2007, 10:36:55 am
I'm amateur all round but I'm on board if you'll have me.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2007, 04:27:10 pm
a.) I'm very surprised Rumjay has not posted in this thread yet.

b.) Judy: Best. User icon. Ever.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: iron_felix on April 18, 2007, 10:46:51 pm
I'll get on board once I get my scanner up and running again.  I love drawing.  I can't make any guarantees as far as timeliness goes, though.  Of course, this seems like it's a thing like with the mixdiscs, where you just send it back whenever you're done, so I'm guessing that won't be much of a problem.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: chuanoplast on April 19, 2007, 04:37:10 am
This sounds awesome! Hopefully there are no super pro artists around so all us amateurs won't feel sad.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: slink on April 19, 2007, 10:03:45 am
As long as everyone's as amateur as they claim, I'm not to worried about being involved. That said, I can't draw for shit, though can persevere a little...
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2007, 01:23:29 pm
You know there are a number of successful webcomics that don't involve drawing at all.  Dinosaur Comics, A Softer Life, Wondermark, Partially Clips, Alien loves Predator.... just off the top of my head.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 19, 2007, 03:45:30 pm
This is true... however, they all involve some sort of digital editing process, even if it's just as simple as putting text on the recovered photography. And... this is something I do not know how to do.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: side_show on April 19, 2007, 09:08:23 pm
I am totally into this, but lack many of the skills required to make it happen.  If others can give me really broken down, step by step guidance for the technical side of things, I'm in.  I've quickly drawn up a strip.  I don't have a scanner, but could find one, but then... what?  I'd love to write for one that someone else draws too.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: Teatime on April 20, 2007, 04:33:10 am
I've arbitrarily decided that eight members is about critical mass, so if people have drawn things go ahead and send them to me at thomas at horstmann dot com. I will then send them to someone who wants to write. (I have something drawn that I will have to wait until Monday to upload).

As for the ameteur artist folks, I see no reason to worry. Two of my favorite W.A.s are of totally questionable artistic merit. (here (http://www.qwantz.com/apologies/index.pl?comic=89) and here (http://www.qwantz.com/apologies/index.pl?comic=38))
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: side_show on April 20, 2007, 01:12:32 pm
Cool.  The earliest I can get mine scanned up is Monday, as I need to bring it in to the office to do so.
Title: Re: TOUAMB Whispered Apologies deal?
Post by: side_show on May 15, 2007, 12:07:25 am
Is this still a go?