The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jaydub on April 18, 2007, 04:07:43 pm

Title: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: jaydub on April 18, 2007, 04:07:43 pm
Todd's so f-frikkin' sweet. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04182007)  In related news, my fluffy little dog has made the big time.  She killed a fox squirrel after a shrill 5 minute battle in the back yard.  Considering it was at 11pm, which seems late for a squirrel, I'm a little concerned that she got exposed to rabies.  Also the fact that it got caught by my dog doesn't speak well for its pre-mortem health.

I popped the corpse into a ziplock without handling it directly (used the inside out bag as a glove) and stuffed it into the freezer.  Naturally I forgot to mention this detail to my wife, who was appalled but unsurprised at the squirl-cicle when she went to get ice for her afternoon diet coke.  I figure I'll call animal control and see what they think about Petunia's risk.

Also, I am stunned that no-one's beat me to today's strip. 

Edit: fixed link & added date
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: milhouse on April 18, 2007, 04:29:39 pm

Also, I am stunned that no-one's beat me to today's strip. 

A late strip. I noticed it, but the pressure of starting the thread with nothing to say stopped me from actually doing it.

"A big metal flip-off stickin' outta the sand" was my first thought. Then I decided "Holy frick! I woke up again!" was the better choice.
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2007, 04:34:02 pm
"It's so... important."

This sums up so many of my high experiences.

Not in a... cosmic way or a world-saving way but...

So many jokes were come up with that we were convinced were completely mind-blowingly funny.

Importantly funny.
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Enkidu on April 18, 2007, 04:56:48 pm
I think Onstad mixed up Blister and Todd in the way the squirrel is talking in this strip.  There is copious use of "frikkin" but only one stutter and its in all-caps.  Something seems wrong.
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Beatrice on April 18, 2007, 04:58:19 pm
this just in:  i am terrified of squirrels on coke.
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 18, 2007, 05:16:06 pm
I think Onstad mixed up Blister and Todd in the way the squirrel is talking in this strip.  There is copious use of "frikkin" but only one stutter and its in all-caps.  Something seems wrong.

They're all all-caps.

Oh, and can someone add the date?
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 18, 2007, 05:24:51 pm
this just in:  i am terrified of squirrels on coke.

So is Gina's ... oh, fuck it.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2007, 07:40:40 pm
I think it's mostly funny that Ricky Nihoha has attributes that we associate with a well-rounded character (national origin, backstory, religion, family life, hobbies) when no other squirrel in the strip to date has managed these things. It's like "hey, wait, Todd isn't actually representative of his species? Ha!"

But yes, the "it's so... important" is a winner, as is Todd's arcane methods of deriving drug trips from terrible cast-off items.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: jaydub on April 18, 2007, 08:35:33 pm
Rabies update:  apparently squirrels are poor vectors for rabies.  The animal services guy listened to my story, then said some stuff that amounted to "don't worry about it".  In the time since records have been kept for such things in California, no one has caught rabies from a squirrel.  Also, while nocturnal behavior is unusual, its not unknown and is more common when the squirrels are having trouble getting enough to eat.

Anyone want a frozen fox squirrel?   
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 18, 2007, 09:44:50 pm
Best birthday strip evar!
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Doc on April 18, 2007, 10:53:12 pm
Most appropriate, certainly.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: iron_felix on April 18, 2007, 11:14:38 pm
The panels depicting Todd's steering-column-induced high remind me of a poorly animated death sequence from an old 16-color Sierra adventure game.  All "SOAK GASKET" and so forth.

Last time we got a flowchart it led into a month-long story arc.  Are we about to witness an arc with Todd as the principal character?  Are we ready for such a thing?
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: hammish on April 18, 2007, 11:52:31 pm
Are we about to witness an arc with Todd as the principal character?  Are we ready for such a thing?

Todd is one of my favorite characters -- but it may be because I have such a restricted-Todd diet. And I love the convention of Squirrels-as-silhouettes -- it reminds me of how all South Park Canadians have flappy heads and beady little eyes.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: jaydub on April 19, 2007, 12:11:52 am
Maybe one of these was the inspiration for Todd's appearance

(http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/squirrel-field-target-web.jpg)
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2007, 01:20:33 am
Last time we got a flowchart it led into a month-long story arc.  Are we about to witness an arc with Todd as the principal character?  Are we ready for such a thing?

NO.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: chuanoplast on April 19, 2007, 04:33:46 am
Reading this flowchart made me so confused this morning that I truly thought it was Friday.

But I liked the story of Ricky Nihoha.
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: isunklower on April 20, 2007, 05:46:32 am
I think Onstad mixed up Blister and Todd in the way the squirrel is talking in this strip.  There is copious use of "frikkin" but only one stutter and its in all-caps.  Something seems wrong.

These flowcharts are following thoughts, remember.  It would really suck to have to think with a stutter. 

Also...
(http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/squirrel-field-target-web.jpg)

wtf is that?  Or is that just total common knowledge, and I should be all ashamed? 

It looks like a kit to fake out your friends, when you can't train your real squirrel to water ski, and you felt real embarrassed about it.
Title: Re: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: jaydub on April 20, 2007, 04:04:57 pm
Also...
wtf is that?  Or is that just total common knowledge, and I should be all ashamed? 

If you like shooting at things other than paper targets, but don't feel happy wasting actual critters for your own amusement, you can shoot at metal silhouettes that pop back up after you knock them over. 
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: iron_felix on April 20, 2007, 04:15:18 pm
Last time we got a flowchart it led into a month-long story arc.  Are we about to witness an arc with Todd as the principal character?  Are we ready for such a thing?

NO.

Didn't think so.  Although this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11292005) made for a nice one-off.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Nabubrush on September 07, 2007, 04:52:39 am
I'ma bump the fuck out of this, because I haven't actually read the strip from, apparently, April. No comments on the Renault Iditarod? Even from Somebody nice? Huh. Well, I liked it.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: linnea on September 07, 2007, 09:59:43 pm
I'ma bump the fuck out of this, because I haven't actually read the strip from, apparently, April. No comments on the Renault Iditarod? Even from Somebody nice? Huh. Well, I liked it.

I didn't understand the Renault Iditarod reference...What does it mean?
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2007, 01:15:09 am
Well, it doesn't mean anything more to me than a reference to the Iditarod, but that was enough for me.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2007, 02:43:21 am
I just figured it was a race across Alaska in a bunch of Le Cars.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 09, 2007, 06:04:50 am
This is my birthday strip.



Oh, I am drunk and I already said that.  Who would have known this would happen the day OU beat the U.
Title: Re: April 18th, 2007: A Big Metal Flip-off Sticking Out of the Sand
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2007, 06:09:25 am
This is my birthday strip.



Oh, I am drunk and I already said that.  Who would have known this would happen the day OU beat the U.

Whoa! Have you always had 221 cans? That's a lot of cans.