The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on April 18, 2007, 05:39:54 pm

Title: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 18, 2007, 05:39:54 pm
Onstad:
4/2 - Father's Bacon 1 (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2007/04/success-with-four-slices-left.html).
4/4 - Bacon #2 (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2007/04/moving-on-to-bacon-no-2.html).
4/11 - A blog about base-ball (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2007/04/san-francisco-giants-season-opener.html).
4/13 - Jowl Bacon (http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2007/04/burgers-jowl-bacon-bacon-2.html).
Pat:
4/11 - Soytopia (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2007/04/soytopia-sociopolitical-and-ecological.html).

Molly:
4/16 - Molly's A-List (http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2007/04/achewood-list-april-19-2007.html).

Nice Pete:
4/18 - Nice Pete Dines Alone (http://peterhcropes.blogspot.com/2007/04/i-cooked-tv-dinner.html).

Ray:
4/20 - Ray goes to a Museum (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2007/04/i-went-to-museum-doggs.html)

I find a little menace in Nice Pete's "at least for a while" here:

Quote
I cooked one tonight, while Pat was away with his new fellow. Guess I'm going to be doing a lot of cooking on my own for at least a while.

I am excited to see how Nice Pete further reacts to the budding relationship between Rod & Pat. Will he commit the Murder Act upon Rod when he discovers Rod's profession? Or will he react with "Oh, how good the pornography film was, filled with fine kisses and displays of coquetry made well between handsome men. I believe that I shall try my hand at this Pornography following my next novel, and it will be called A Fine Pornography. Perhaps Rod will be willing to assist me."

I actually don't know if I want him to go down that road.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2007, 07:44:09 pm
A Fine Pornography = raw, unfiltered terror. Thanks.

Also, having caught up on Molly's blog: what is it with dudes and breakfast for dinner? My father is nuts about it, and other rudimentary-cooking-skill having guys I have met are also kind of obsessed with the idea of eating eggs and bacon at night. Is it the idea that that way you only need to learn how to cook one dish?
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2007, 07:48:01 pm
there is no way he will brook pornography, not whatsoever.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 18, 2007, 07:50:10 pm
A tiny can for such a useful and librariesque catching-up on the blogs for the board.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 18, 2007, 08:16:12 pm
Also, having caught up on Molly's blog: what is it with dudes and breakfast for dinner?

This requires no explanation.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2007, 08:27:46 pm
No, seriously, I'm curious about it. Maybe I just haven't met the right people, but enthusiasm for this concept tends to divide right down gender lines.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 18, 2007, 09:08:47 pm
You probably don't get cold pizza for breakfast.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: V-Adore on April 18, 2007, 09:11:06 pm
No, cold pizza for breakfast is delicious. (It's possible that I'm just working off an irrational prejudice against traditional breakfast foods, here.)
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: wombat on April 18, 2007, 09:14:50 pm
The Technical Staff will not eat breakfast food for dinner. Or dinner food for breakfast. I will do either, although I always heat my pizza no matter what time of day it is.

This reminds me that while he is out of town I should have pancakes and sausage for dinner.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Drygioni on April 18, 2007, 09:50:24 pm
The Technical Staff

I just realised that this is your beau and not a group of people you work with at the zoo. I cannot tell you how much clearer certain aspects of this board are now.

Carry on.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 18, 2007, 10:03:27 pm
V, the appeal of breakfast for dinner lies in the fact that the breakfast menu has some of the most delicious and hearty fare known to man (or woman) and it's ridiculous that these items should be only available in the morning.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: littlefox on April 18, 2007, 10:29:21 pm
I am a lady and cannot remember a time in my life when I was not thrilled about the prospect of breakfast foods at other times in the day.

Nowadays it's because I get up so early and don't have time to make delicious, elaborate breakfasts; I generally just grab a yogurt and go. Thus,  bacon, eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, and waffles are more nighttime foods for me. Or Sunday-sleping-in-afternoon foods. But that's the only day I have time for them.

Breakfast foods are excellent.

EDIT: Oh, and danishes, and donuts, and cinnamon rolls - all things which I have consumed at lunch or dinner. Dannng, I love breakfast foods. Every single American breakfast food I can think of is a delicious, delicious item.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 18, 2007, 10:48:08 pm
let's be honest. Breakfast foods are wonderful.

Especially waffles. Waffles and sausages are all I need to be happy in this life. Bacon, eggs, bagels, egg/bacon/bagel sandwiches...

ok basically I love breakfast food.

The cafeteria here serves breakfast burritos every day. I haven't had one since the first day I was here... I never have time/wake up early enough to eat breakfast.

I have vowed to do so before the year is through, though... which means before the end of next week.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Doc on April 18, 2007, 10:50:53 pm
Breakfast food is the tastiest (and often sugariest) meal. Why should we limit ourselves?
I think it's also partly once a dude gets on his own he likes to do things he knows his mother would disapprove of, but maybe I just have issues.

Also: Organically ruined dreams!!!
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 18, 2007, 11:17:42 pm
No, seriously, I'm curious about it. Maybe I just haven't met the right people, but enthusiasm for this concept tends to divide right down gender lines.

It is also a cultural thing. In Poland, for instance, fried eggs, bacon, and fried potatoes is a not uncommon dinner. On the other hand, this is the reason why I can't eat hash browns with my breakfast - because it's too much like dinner.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Ben-San on April 19, 2007, 12:02:41 am
I find many breakfast foods to be unsatisfying dinners but exactly what I need in the morning.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2007, 01:01:43 am
my mother used to make breakfast for dinner all the time.

my mother's friend once commented that she had a lot of breakfast for dinner as a kid-- because pancake mix was cheaper than real dinner food.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: linnea on April 19, 2007, 01:33:01 am
No, seriously, I'm curious about it. Maybe I just haven't met the right people, but enthusiasm for this concept tends to divide right down gender lines.

Oh, au contraire, Mon Frère. I love brekkie food, it's the best for dinner. Well...I suppose that a tender steak from some terribly overpriced steak house like Ruth's Chris or Gallagher's would technically be the Best... or a delicious korma curry with plenty of naan bread. But I digress. Breakfast food is teh win.

My younger sister and I shared an apartment together in college, and one of my fondest memories is making pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner with her in our electric skillet. Also, sometimes there were hash browns instead of pancakes. I also finally convinced her that her then-to-lifelong aversion to hot sauce could be brooked by the sheer deliciousness of Tabasco or Franks' RedHot on scrambled eggs. Mmmm...Dammit, now i'm all hungry, but I've already blown through my 1,700 allotted calories for the day, being as I'm back on the Hacker's Diet. Sigh. Sorry, tummy, no foodies for now.

Alena and I also had a Tragic Potato Incident in that apartment. We bought some potatoes at the grocer's one day, and stuck them in the lazy Susan cabinet and pretty much forgot about 'em. One fateful day I was rummaging around for some spices and noticed an odd smell. Then I came across a nearly-completely-liquefied bag of potatoes. The metal shelf beneath the bag had become bubbled and warped. We scrubbed and scrubbed, put a box of baking soda in there and everything. the evil potato smell never really went away. Since then, I only buy one or two potatoes and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready to use them. *shudder*
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: V-Adore on April 19, 2007, 01:57:30 am
Alena and I also had a Tragic Potato Incident in that apartment. We bought some potatoes at the grocer's one day, and stuck them in the lazy Susan cabinet and pretty much forgot about 'em. One fateful day I was rummaging around for some spices and noticed an odd smell. Then I came across a nearly-completely-liquefied bag of potatoes. The metal shelf beneath the bag had become bubbled and warped. We scrubbed and scrubbed, put a box of baking soda in there and everything. the evil potato smell never really went away. Since then, I only buy one or two potatoes and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready to use them. *shudder*

Uh... are you sure that you didn't buy potato-shaped wads of lye? I've been in homes and apartments where potatoes were left to sit, and generally the most grody thing that happened was the potatoes sprouting, not some kind of hell-reaction sufficient to warp metal. It may be for the best that you did not eat those potatoes.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2007, 02:13:23 am
Oh no. I've just discovered that when left alone, I eat the same frozen TV dinner as Nice Pete.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 19, 2007, 02:16:40 am
I have definitely liquefied potatoes.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: chuanoplast on April 19, 2007, 05:54:11 am
Sometimes, our school dining hall serves breakfast for dinner. When this happens, my roommate and I go back to our room, fire up the rice cooker, and cook rice porridge for dinner, which is basically the same thing as eating breakfast for dinner if you're Chinese.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: ImpyChick on April 19, 2007, 04:46:55 pm
I eat eggs & bacon for dinner several times a month.  NOTHING is better than eggs cooked in bacon grease, w/ a generous sprinkling of hot sauce.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Teatime on April 20, 2007, 04:40:39 am
Sometimes, our school dining hall serves breakfast for dinner. When this happens, my roommate and I go back to our room, fire up the rice cooker, and cook rice porridge for dinner, which is basically the same thing as eating breakfast for dinner if you're Chinese.

HELL YES. I am unbelievably fond of pancakes, waffles, or crepes for dinner, but otherwise porridge with some tofu and giraffe sung is amazing dinner.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: isunklower on April 20, 2007, 06:13:38 am
Hm, OK, I am not just being Disagree-y Guy or anything, but it appears I am in the minority here.  I really don't like breakfast foods at any time of the day.  I don't know what it is about them - maybe their aforementioned "heartiness" - but I never crave them, and I usually feel like crap after I've eaten them.  It seems like so many are either heavy or greasy or sweet, and I just can't face that first thing in the morning.

I've also noticed I get tired of them a lot faster than anything else.  Like, for lunch, I could eat a pretty boring turkey sandwich every day for a month, and I'd be somewhat content.  But for breakfast (which I do eat, albeit grudgingly) I have to constantly change foods - from smoothies to fruit to oatmeal to Pop Tarts and so on - before I build up a resistance to a particular item and never want to eat it again.  My stomach is like The Borg.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: oball on April 20, 2007, 08:45:09 am
History, you're just like me.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: wombat on April 20, 2007, 11:53:48 am
Come on, there is no 1850s station on XM. Well, I am pretty sure there isn't.

Nice observation about the door looking like something you shouldn't open at random. Nice observation about the museum guy's dillemma. See, Ray is not so completely utterly totally self-centered as he seems.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2007, 02:22:11 pm
I feel like 1850's music would be... Romantic Era? Um... such as Wagner?
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: wombat on April 20, 2007, 03:11:06 pm
Yes, but just the music he wrote in the 1850s?  (Note: The joke is that on XM there really are stations for just the 1970s, just the 1980s, etc.)
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 20, 2007, 04:18:42 pm
oh, I assumed he was just saying "1850s" when he meant "old music" or whatever.

yeah, that would be ridiculous.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Golfhaus on April 21, 2007, 02:23:27 pm
I feel like 1850's music would be... Romantic Era? Um... such as Wagner?

The Rolling Stones released their first single in that decade, I believe.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2007, 03:35:18 pm
The Rolling Stones released their first single in that decade, I believe.

Zing!

The Rolling Stones are old.  Hahahahahahahahaha.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: CortJstr on April 22, 2007, 07:54:16 pm
Maple syrup was invented because it was the only way to trick people into eating foods as horrible and tasteless as pancakes and waffles.

Quote from: Pat
the Straight Edge philosophy of purity and responsibility

He forgot "and fuck*ng anything that moves"
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2007, 08:43:06 pm
no, straight-edge people don't do that, either.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: V-Adore on April 22, 2007, 09:44:34 pm
I think he missed "and being goddamn self-righteous about your Purity and Responsibility," but... he would.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: Drastic Action on April 22, 2007, 09:48:11 pm
I would consider myself straightedge, as I seemed to already adhere to their general sets of morality, if not for the fact that every time I have encountered straightedge people, they have been, 18 times out of 19, terrible assholes.  I do not understand how people in such a counter-culture movement can resemble sheep even moreso than any mtv drone.  It is ridiculous.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: CortJstr on April 22, 2007, 10:59:24 pm
no, straight-edge people don't do that, either.

The only straight edge person I know is CM Punk, and he's got a rep as a man-slut. Apparently there's a schism between abstinent-until-marriage and fuck*ng-is-the-acceptable-vice sects.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2007, 11:05:26 pm
dang. I was straightedge at one point, but mostly in the way some people are christian but in a way that's all "I follow Jesus's teachings, but do not go to church." I didn't know any straightedge people who weren't open assholes. I, personally, kept my judgmental-itude to myself.

Basically I love Ian MacKaye, if that hasn't been put across recently.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: AugustWest on April 22, 2007, 11:10:21 pm
You know, in my experience, usually anybody who characterizes themselves as a "insert label here" turns out to be an asshole.  It doesn't really matter what the label is.  If you view yourself as primarily a "whatever you call yourself" then you tend to make it your priority to do what you think a good "whatever you think of yourself as" would do rather than what a good, decent, reasonable human being would do.

I don't care if you think of yourself as Straight-edge, Punk, Hippy, Christian, Buddhist, Vegan, Atheist, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Star Wars Fan, Trekker or what the fuck ever.  If you place more of a priority on living up to that label you've hung on yourself than you do on being a good and decent person, you are an asshole.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 22, 2007, 11:19:39 pm
not completely sure how to articulate this, as I can't find the article I read on this. Anyway, apparently what you mention is a uniquely Western perspective-- when asked to fill in the blank at the end of "I am _____" in their native languages, people from other cultures were something like twice as likely to fill in a group association. "I am Chinese," "I am a Christian," etc. Americans/Europeans were more likely to fill in the blank with personal characteristics-- "I am smart," "I am ugly," etc. For most human beings, membership in a group is a pretty important part of identity.

On the same note, the whole Straightedge thing got completely hijacked (the same way things always do) by people who were... dicks. Ian Mackaye was always really clear in interviews that his was a statement of personal belief-- not an indictment of people who didn't "conform" to what he said. The whole thing got taken by a bunch of other hardcore bands and turned into a "fuck you, you drink, I'm going to beat you up" type of deal. So, yeah, I guess basically I agree with you-- the takeaway point is to think for yourself, rather than letting a bunch of "leaders" of your chosen group tell you what to do. At the same time, I feel like espousing a philosophy and using it to analyze your actions can be constructive; there are plenty of people for whom joining some group has been very helpful in overcoming problems.
Title: Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2007, 04:39:38 pm
does anyone else kind of get the feeling that... the place Ray went wasn't really a museum? I was getting a definite "Ray is completely misunderstanding this" vibe. But I'm not sure what else could be going on.