The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on April 19, 2007, 07:43:54 am

Title: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2007, 07:43:54 am
so. Um. I just turned on firefox. the following things happened, all at once:
somehow the Facebook Toolbar, which was a bullshit thing that I uninstalled (I thought?) came back. It comes back every time I restart firefox.
my history is still there.
all of my saved passwords are gone.
all of my bookmarks are gone.
every time I turn firefox on, every add-on I have installed pops up asking me to set it up.
every time I turn firefox on, McAfee asks me if it is OK if it sets up a "site advisor"

wtf? does anyone know how to go about un-doing this? I am trying to find my bookmarks, but to no avail. Where did they go? this is really the only thing that's an issue-- passwords which I have forgotten can be retrieved, etc.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: Doc on April 19, 2007, 08:43:28 am
Only thing that springs to mind is have you set it to clear your private data after your close firefox? It's in settings under privacy.
Though that wouldn't explain the bookmarks or the plugins, probably not macaffe either.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: Drastic Action on April 19, 2007, 09:08:25 am
Firefox allows you to have multiple profiles for a given user, like if you start it with the "/profile" parameter or something (you'd have to look it up, I forget).  You can get it to create a new profile, or set where to store data for your current one.

If I had to guess, it sounds like it is using a profile somewhere that is read-only, so it just isn't saving it and keeps thinking you've started it for the first time every time.  You could try creating a new profile, to see if the pop-ups recur after restarting.

As for the bookmarks, maybe try browsing through your user folders (on windows, it's something like "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application data\Mozilla Firefox\Profiles") and see if you can find anything with a name slightly bookmarkish.  It stores them as XML files, so maybe even just try a search for files containing text such as would be in the bookmarks you've stored (so if you know you had a bookmark here, tell windows to search all files for ones containing the string "touamb.com" or whatnot).  Maybe the file got renamed or moved, or whoooooooo knows.  Computers is crazay.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2007, 04:16:33 pm
ah! In the mozilla folder in Application Data I found "bookmarks 2007-4-17"... but I can't figure out how to import them? Under "import..." the only option is to import Internet Explorer favorites.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: jaydub on April 19, 2007, 04:17:54 pm
I'm having Firefox issues at the moment as well - though it may turn out to be more F.E.B.E. issues with WinXP x64.  My work computer just got upgraded, and when I did my usual restore profile trick with FEBE, I got bupkis.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2007, 04:22:15 pm
ok... so now, I found the files, and managed to open them. It displays as... basically like a website? With links to all of my bookmarks.

I click on them. But it will not allow me to re-bookmark them. When I click on the "OK" button in the bookmark dialog, it doesn't do anything. Only "cancel" works.

I am going to re-install when I return from class later today. Thanks for your help guys.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: slink on April 19, 2007, 04:51:22 pm
In the organise bookmarks menu, under bookmarks, File offers an import that gives me either Import from IE, or Import from File, which would be the .html file you have there. I don't know if your Firefox just isn't giving you that option there, or elsewhere?
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2007, 06:33:47 pm
wow. my goodness.

For some reason the "import..." button under File didn't give me this option.

I thought I had checked in "Organize Bookmarks," but I guess I had missed that option.
Thank you for the help, all.

It still won't let me bookmark new things, though. I will keep looking around to see what is going on.
Title: Re: Why is Firefox mad at me?
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 19, 2007, 09:20:51 pm
I am not good at stuff like this, but maybe try importing the bookmarks to IE (i think you said you could do this), uninstalling Firefox, then reinstall and import from IE?