The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AugustWest on April 20, 2007, 05:27:43 am

Title: I've been Bleated!
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2007, 05:27:43 am
Lileks mentioned me and printed my pictures! (http://www.lileks.com/bleats/index.html)

Ask me nice and I'll post the e-mail I sent him that caused this to happen.

Gosh. Now I feel like a D-list internet celebrity.
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: Doc on April 20, 2007, 07:26:51 am
Between this and jepordy (can't spell today, not even going to try) thing I think you could easily start a blog that Wil Wheaton regularly references.
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: AugustWest on April 20, 2007, 04:47:04 pm
My E-mail

Greetings from Frankfort, Kentucky!

I'm a longtime reader of the Bleat and the rest of your site.  Thanks very much for your work!

As I read the Bleat today, I hardly noticed the picture on the header.  When "Frankfort, Kentucky" jumped out at me from the text I was a little surprised, as Kentucky is a little far afield for you -- I tend to expect Minn or one of the Daks...  Anyhow, I didn't recognize the name -- the Statesman Bar rang no bells.  A quick look at the picture identified the place though.

That's Saylor's.  It's been Saylor's at least since the mid-60s when I was born.  It's still there, but closed about a year ago.  It was reopened six months ago under new managment -- haven't been there since.

Saylor's was a long time fixture in Frankfort.  Good diner food during the day, dark smoky tavern at night.  For many years it was one of only about 3 or 4 sit-down restaurants in town.  They made the very best blue cheese dressing I have ever eaten -- I believe it was 90% fresh grated garlic.  Saylor's was also a popular hangout with the legislative/lobbyist crowd when the General Assembly was in session.

I'm going to run up to the top of the hill and take a picture of how it looks now.   Odd.  Frankfort is a very scenic place -- I can't remember a time when Saylor's wasn't drab and dingy.

Thanks for the little touch of local fame on the Bleat.  Also, we share an interest in Achewood.  Come visit us on The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board sometime ( www.touamb.com).  I am AugustWest thereon.


Lileks' Response

O-M-G, as the kids say, but with much more enthusiasm than they'd
dare to exhibit.

Wow: thanks, Frank - that's absolutely incredible. I'll post them on
Friday, if that's okay with you? It'll make for the best week-ending
Bleat graphic EVER.

I'm in your debt.

Lileks
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: Gimpson on April 23, 2007, 02:52:50 pm
I really need to find an RSS feed for the bleat.  I have much less web-time than I used to, so unless I can get something into my feed reader it tends to get forgotten.  My only Lileks exposure these days is The Diner (http://web.mac.com/lileks/iWeb/Lileks.com%20Podcasts/Podcast/Podcast.html), which I always listen to as soon as I notice it has been downloaded. 
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2007, 04:34:58 pm
I found an old picture of the corner of Trade and Tryon in Charlotte. It was... really small back then. They had a 4-story building.

My friend laughed at me so hard when I said "it's like... the Times Square of Charlotte." Does that come across as really lame? I feel like comparing one big-center-of-city-area to another is valid. Is there a name for this I'm not thinking of? "Town Square" evokes much more of a village-green type feel to me.
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: jaydub on April 23, 2007, 09:19:53 pm
No, some New Yorkers just think their city invented sliced bread, and that anyone else's comparison is so weak as to be laughable.

Bridges!  You don't know from bridges!
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2007, 09:21:42 pm
No, some New Yorkers just think their city invented sliced bread, and that anyone else's comparison is so weak as to be laughable.

You got a problem with that?
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: Teatime on April 23, 2007, 09:55:28 pm
Awesome! Also, lileks seems a starkly cool guy.
Title: Re: I've been Bleated!
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2007, 07:16:56 am
CHING CHONG WING WONG.






Congratulations.