The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Asherdan on April 23, 2007, 05:03:31 pm

Title: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: Asherdan on April 23, 2007, 05:03:31 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 23, 2007, 05:05:53 pm
I really, really, really want to join this team. Immediately.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 23, 2007, 05:36:30 pm
On second reading...is this an homage? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinball#Calvinball)
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 23, 2007, 05:55:16 pm
I can't get the new board to let me join, so I'm going to pretend like As IF I Would Want To Go To That Lame Party and post here instead.  The concept of "Stoned Lightning" is one degree removed from actual collegiate intramural slow-pitch softball, wherein you play drunk and find innovative ways to combine liquor and colorful mixers so that they resemble Gatorade.  Thanks to Gatorade's ever-expanding product line, this is easier than ever.  Blue, green, orange, red, yellow, clear...it's almost impossible to make a drink that doesn't look credible.

No one wants to write you a ticket if they see you drinking from a Gatorade bottle on a softball field, even if you do end up swinging a bat like it was a wet pillow and you stumble just taking a lead off of your base.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2007, 06:00:26 pm
Everyone's run off to post on 'stads new scribble board, apparently. I guess that's one way to mute this little corner of the internet.

The end times have begun.

I'm not panicking yet. If he's going to post the strip in the middle of the day how is anyone supposed to know it's there?
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 23, 2007, 06:11:49 pm
I'm not panicking yet. If he's going to post the strip in the middle of the day how is anyone supposed to know it's there?

He'll get pissed and shut it down saying that he doesn't have the time.

I recently read through his postings here. That was weird.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: Limmo on April 23, 2007, 06:22:13 pm
That strip was perfect. 
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: V-Adore on April 23, 2007, 08:06:52 pm
I'll admit it: this Stoned Lightning design is clearly just a pre-advertisement for a T-shirt/jersey, but when that T-shirt does exist, I will probably buy it.

(I need to order more lip balm anyway, so hey, why not?)
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: theinevitable on April 23, 2007, 08:29:28 pm
for the record, I kept the torch going by frantically refreshing so that I could start this topic before I went to class.
He did upload the comic, and for a few minutes too long the image was broken. I almost posted with the "like a jazz man picks keys" line, because I could read the alt-text.

so yeah, I wasn't distracted by that other thing.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 23, 2007, 09:52:42 pm
I was only slow to this thread because... for some reason, my work computer wouldn't load today's strip until about 2 in the PM.

I have no idea why, all you other party people seem to have gotten it continuously.

I'm a huge fan of "Barely Fifteen Minutes Later" if only because... that's exactly how a stoned person would think that concept.

"Barely... FIF-TEEN... minutes later."
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: linnea on April 24, 2007, 05:52:22 am
We've seen Ray hitting the bong a few times now.

I imagine having a life like Ray...free to sleep in late, drink expensive booze, and get high. I sometimes wish I were a kitty when I see how much fun Milan and Lennybruce have, just lying around, sleeping, playing, rocking the catnip, etc.  I tease my little guys about going to the Underground, such as, "Sweet Milan, would you please nip on down to the Underground and get Mommy some more Scotch?" and he'll look up at me with his sweet round face as if to say, "Unnergwownd? I know not ov dis Unnergwownd of which yew speak. Wouwd yew wike to buy a fwoggy hat?"

Then I ask Lenny to put the kettle on, and he just looks at me as if to say, "I ain't got no thumbs, beeyotch."

Once I leave to go to work I know that they're rockin the Alaskan Underground, Lenny just tearing it up in a public house with a Glenmorganie neat and a smoke...while Milan retires to a quaint Underground establishment for High Tea and discusses Derrida and Irigaray with his friends.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: V-Adore on April 24, 2007, 06:13:41 am
Then I ask Lenny to put the kettle on, and he just looks at me as if to say, "I ain't got no thumbs, beeyotch."

I, too, enjoy giving the cats orders, especially very stern ones. "Okay, we're going to the supermarket now. Cammy, Ashby, GUARD THE HOUSE! Mr. Kitty, GUARD THE CARPORT. We'll be back."

Hey, so far it's worked...
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2007, 06:59:07 am
um.

so what you're saying is that you tease your cats about Achewood being real, and they respond to you with speech impediments, and then you tell them to make you tea.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: oball on April 24, 2007, 08:56:02 am
Hideous?


THIS... IS...  ACHEWOOD!








Sorry.  De-can me all you want, I deserve it for that.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: Lane on April 24, 2007, 12:47:08 pm
um.

so what you're saying is that you tease your cats about Achewood being real, and they respond to you with speech impediments, and then you tell them to make you tea.
Classic.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: jaydub on April 24, 2007, 04:02:14 pm
Cammy, Ashby, GUARD THE HOUSE! Mr. Kitty, GUARD THE CARPORT. We'll be back."

When Stacey and I go somewhere, leaving my 17-year old niece at home, I'll frequently say "Ok Petunia, you're in charge."  The fluffy white dog then burrows under the couch.  Elizabeth (the niece) rarely finds this amusing.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: dejavroom on April 24, 2007, 04:09:08 pm
Being a bit of a toker myself I can never express enough awe at how spot-on Onstad's grass-fueled dialogue is: "Like he wonders if he cares about anything. But in a good way". Very, very good... I can't even express how much I'm digging this arc already.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: isunklower on April 24, 2007, 05:44:07 pm
Apparently when Ray is sufficiently stoned, he becomes aware of an unseen audience unable to hear his speech audibly, and will therefore pronounce some words phonetically for their benefit.  How polite of him!
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: linnea on April 25, 2007, 06:49:38 am
um.

so what you're saying is that you tease your cats about Achewood being real, and they respond to you with speech impediments, and then you tell them to make you tea.

Dude, all my cats talk to me. This isn't anything new or spurred by Achewood.

However, the Milan speech impediment is a joke related to Achewood. Ray responded in his Ray's Place column when I wrote him a letter from me and Milan saying "This is a big fuck you from all the Scottish Folds in the world. Love, linnea & Milan." Remember the "Scottish Folds got this real retarded accent like the deaf priest from the Princess Bride."

They gotta pay the kittyrent, so that's why I try to make them do stuff, like make tea, clean the apartment, or get me some beer.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: Golfhaus on April 26, 2007, 01:15:18 am
When my sister and I were younger, Mom would wake up long before we did during summer vacation, and leave us chore lists. One day, after I protested that the dog and cat never got chores, she left two for them. Pickles's chores were "bark at intruders" and "poop outside." Tiger's was "don't shed."

Tiger was as good at her chores as I was at mine.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: linnea on April 26, 2007, 03:36:09 am
When my sister and I were younger, Mom would wake up long before we did during summer vacation, and leave us chore lists. One day, after I protested that the dog and cat never got chores, she left two for them. Pickles's chores were "bark at intruders" and "poop outside." Tiger's was "don't shed."

Tiger was as good at her chores as I was at mine.

HEE! That's awesome. Tiny can. Lenny's daily chores include being nice to his brother and not biting him on his little chickenlegs. Lenny doesn't do very well at his chores, unfortunately. Milan's chores involve being sweet and good, which is easy because he wrote the book on Being Good.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: CortJstr on April 26, 2007, 01:17:41 pm
HEE! That's awesome. Tiny can. Lenny's daily chores include being nice to his brother and not biting him on his little chickenlegs. Lenny doesn't do very well at his chores, unfortunately. Milan's chores involve being sweet and good, which is easy because he wrote the book on Being Good.

Your cat is Nick Hornby (http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Good-Nick-Hornby/dp/1573229326)?
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 26, 2007, 05:15:32 pm
Your cat is Nick Hornby (http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Good-Nick-Hornby/dp/1573229326)?

Can'd because I loved that book.
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2007, 11:02:01 pm
I like the concept, but I feel like Nick Hornby tends to not take ideas "all the way."
Title: Re: 07.04.23 - This is hideous!
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 27, 2007, 12:01:39 am
I like the concept, but I feel like Nick Hornby tends to not take ideas "all the way."

I haven't read his books since high school...I'm not saying they're super-deep or anything, but they're fun and competent.