The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: linnea on May 01, 2007, 04:16:16 am

Title: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: linnea on May 01, 2007, 04:16:16 am
Fuck yes.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05012007

Poor Ray catches one to the kisser. Poor dude.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: V-Adore on May 01, 2007, 04:19:09 am
Clearly Nightlife is just too hardcore for Stoned Lightning.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2007, 04:20:36 am
fuck! This is not ok!
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: melack on May 01, 2007, 04:25:19 am
I wonder if the stoned baseball league borrows their standard of etiquette from American or Japanese baseball. In America, it's perfectly cool to charge the pitcher and introduce him to your fist after taking a bean like that. In Japan, doing such a thing would earn you some serious disgrace points.

That's assuming Ray is conscious, of course.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: melack on May 01, 2007, 04:26:13 am
Also: Mingus throw underhanded. What a girl.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: oball on May 01, 2007, 04:26:31 am
I love how the impact shock of the ball has caused the detachable hair to jump off Elvis's head.

And the blood spraying out of Ray's ears is also a nice, if somewhat gruesome, touch.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 01, 2007, 04:29:30 am
Also: Mingus throw underhanded. What a girl.

I hope you know that is such how one pitches in softball.

Is Ray dead? Is Ray going to hell? Will Nice Pete avenge his personal God's murder? Find out tomorrow on: The Stoned Lightning Strikes
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: linnea on May 01, 2007, 04:31:51 am
I love how the impact shock of the ball has caused the detachable hair to jump off Elvis's head.

And the blood spraying out of Ray's ears is also a nice, if somewhat gruesome, touch.

Heh, dang, you beat me to that one. Too funny.

I guess that burnin' one to Nightlife is akin to the rest of us mere mortals breathing air. Maybe he's just too hardcore for Stoned Lightning, despite having smoked ten times the weed in the Hudson that Ray et al just smoked prior to the game.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 01, 2007, 04:36:15 am
EPIC. Best. Studybreak. EVER.

Now back to bullshitting about how college impacts voting behavior.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: iron_felix on May 01, 2007, 04:50:03 am
Is there some sort of bizarre historical baseball motif going on here?

Cornelius => Connie Mack
Ray => ...Ray Chapman? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chapman)

What's next, Roast Beef as Jim Piersall?











EDIT: For the record, that pitch was thrown underarm, too.  Now I'm starting to get worried.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Alternate on May 01, 2007, 04:50:38 am
Quote
Did I just discover a new one?  I think that one's me!  I think that's all me!  Wait.  Somethin' don't seem right with this palindrome...

This is exactly what doing math research is like.  And it's like that all the time.  Over and over and over. 
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: ack-47 on May 01, 2007, 09:59:30 am
The facial expression in panel 10 kind of suggests this is No Accident.

He is aware of the concept here, that this is a slow-pitch league. These dudes are not equipped to handle a fast pitch. It is Stoned Lightning for a reason. Yet the cat with the fat-ass blunt throws the ball so hard the shorthair in wraparounds has no chance to hit it with his stylish Elvis bat.

Maybe Roast Beef's bad trip wasn't a coincidence.

Murdering Ray with a softball is one thing, but pissing off the floating Elvis - that's shit even Pat wouldn't pull.

Nightife Mingus is a Dick.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Doc Benway on May 01, 2007, 11:26:19 am
Is there some sort of bizarre historical baseball motif going on here?

Cornelius => Connie Mack
Ray => ...Ray Chapman? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chapman)

By Jove, I think you may have something there. Its been a while since we've had an afterlife-based arc, and the rest have been basically like treasure.

"The sound of the ball crashing into Chapman's skull was so loud that Mays thought it hit his bat, fielded the ball, and threw to first base." Jebus!
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Doc on May 01, 2007, 11:49:39 am
What a revoltin' development.

I chuckled though.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2007, 12:06:54 pm
I am obviously too senstive, because I was just grossed out. I didn't even notice the detachable hair-jumping.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: nDed on May 01, 2007, 04:34:19 pm
I would be lying if I said that somewhere, deep in my soul, a part of me doesn't take grim satisfaction in seeing Ray suffer. Still, I'm sure Ray will find a way to turn this situation to his advantage.

Also, either Nightlife is standing on a damn tall pitcher's mound or Ray's kneeling at the plate.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: CortJstr on May 01, 2007, 04:42:37 pm
I don't remember seeing a roller skate. Onstad didn't go back and add one into an archive strip or anything, did he?
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 01, 2007, 08:08:57 pm
Illegal pitch!  The top of the pitch's arc must be between 6 and 12 feet high.  Should be called "illegal pitch" on the way in by the umpire, and the batter is not obligated to swing.  Automatic ball.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: jaydub on May 01, 2007, 09:28:28 pm
Why does the ball change size?  Is it ricocheting towards the viewer after striking Ray?
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2007, 09:34:24 pm
I am afraid. I am afraid for Ray.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: oball on May 01, 2007, 10:34:48 pm
The ball has obviously achieved a speed high enough for relativity to come into play, and has increased in mass.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: nDed on May 01, 2007, 11:05:26 pm
It's what we need more of, as I've been led to believe.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 02, 2007, 02:31:56 am
Wait, I thought there weren't mounds in softball.  Is this different for fat old man (or stoned) softball?
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Golfhaus on May 02, 2007, 02:38:10 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the size of the softball is (more or less) accurate when it hits Ray in the noggin. On looking at the size of the ball as it leaves Mingus, it's on the small side, but not terribly so. It just looks so much bigger because of the perspective shift*. That being said, Ray's glasses are BROKEN? Does he have another set? Does another set exist???


* Yes, I use this line in the bedroom too.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: linnea on May 02, 2007, 04:18:18 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the size of the softball is (more or less) accurate when it hits Ray in the noggin. On looking at the size of the ball as it leaves Mingus, it's on the small side, but not terribly so. It just looks so much bigger because of the perspective shift*. That being said, Ray's glasses are BROKEN? Does he have another set? Does another set exist???


* Yes, I use this line in the bedroom too.

Wasn't there something in the Ray's Place (http://www.achewood.com/raysplace.php?date=02162004&allnav=) or Ray's Blog that mentioned him inheriting his dad's glasses frames?
Quote from: Ray
Where did you get your sweet spectacles. Mine are okay but yours are hella cool.
D, Internet

Dear D,

Eyeglass companies can make lenses for any size or shape of spectacles! All you have to do is provide the frames and they do the rest. These particular frames belonged to my dad, Ramses Luther Smuckles (CFA Registered name: GC Tinkerbell’s "Careful He’s A Spaniard") and I’m proud to wear them. I didn’t know him well, but I like to think they fit me ‘cause they fit him. I have an old redded-up Kodak photo of him holdin’ me as a baby and he looks just tough as hell, just sittin’ on our old cement stoop in the Avenues and cradlin’ my swaddled ass in his arms, no doubt barely able to sit still for a second, as it was with him. Let me see if I can attach the photo here.

Then when he's describing them to D'Shawn on the phone (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09302003), he mentions that they're Versace frames?

Then during the GOF arc
Quote from: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03142006
his daddy shows up wearing the same frames?

Convoluted canon we've got there.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: CortJstr on May 02, 2007, 01:30:14 pm
Convoluted canon we've got there.

It's like Sealab or the Simpons. It's anticanon unless otherwise specified. Philippe is now a bratty 3 year-old braniac in the Jason Fox style.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 02, 2007, 01:56:34 pm
There is not typically a pitchers' mound in slow-pitch softball, no.  However, I expect they are poaching a field at a local park, so you take what you can get.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: jaydub on May 02, 2007, 05:25:31 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the size of the softball is (more or less) accurate when it hits Ray in the noggin. On looking at the size of the ball as it leaves Mingus, it's on the small side, but not terribly so. It just looks so much bigger because of the perspective shift

I'd buy that, except in the same frame where Ray's being hit there are "ghost images" of the ball that are smaller than the instance hitting him.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Golfhaus on May 02, 2007, 11:01:21 pm
I'd buy that, except in the same frame where Ray's being hit there are "ghost images" of the ball that are smaller than the instance hitting him.

Umm... Doppler effect?

Yeah, I got nothing.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Teatime on May 02, 2007, 11:40:09 pm
It's like Sealab or the Simpons. It's anticanon unless otherwise specified. Philippe is now a bratty 3 year-old braniac in the Jason Fox style.

I'm not so sure about this. If the Simpsons go to hell or something, it won't have happened by the next episode. Considering Beef has memories of going to heaven and hell, I'm pretty sure that these are just dudes who are totally nonplussed by the stuff that is actually happening to them.

I'm backing up the glasses of Ramses theory.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2007, 01:28:49 am
I'm not so sure about this. If the Simpsons go to hell or something, it won't have happened by the next episode. Considering Beef has memories of going to heaven and hell, I'm pretty sure that these are just dudes who are totally nonplussed by the stuff that is actually happening to them.

I'm backing up the glasses of Ramses theory.

But what about the early strips where they couldn't leave the house, and Mr. Bear wasn't aware of tequila? There's a definite selective continuity here. Not that I'm complaining because it works here and it works on the Simpsons.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: Ben-San on May 03, 2007, 08:17:29 pm
1972: Ramses Luther Smuckles meets a 25-year-old Gianni Versace starting out in fashion design in Milan. R.L.S. performs a favor that leaves Versace indebted to him (perhaps lifesaving?) and receives sunglasses for his trouble.
1973: Ramses Luther Smuckles, once again in United States, wins Great Outdoor Fight and is photographed with these sunglasses (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01272006). After winning Great Outdoor Fight, he proposes to Sondra Culpepper (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03012006).
Sometime Later: Ray Smuckles is born. Ramses remains with his child for a time (at least long enough to be photographed) but leaves before Ray begins forming significant memories.
Sometime Before Ray's Known Childhood: Ray receives Ramses' glasses frames as an inheritance.
Sometime After That But Before Now: Ramses Luther Smuckles acquires identical replacement frames by unknown means.


There. Conflicting explanations resolved, and all it took was a little splash of near-fanfiction. The only tricky part is resolving the timeframe such that he is able to receive Versace sunglasses (Versace didn't work in fashion design until he was 25) and still get back to America in time to woo Sondra and win the GOF.
Title: Re: May 1, 2007: Are you ready for the ball that starts it all, baby?
Post by: side_show on May 03, 2007, 11:30:16 pm
If a man is going to make you a pair of custom frames for saving his life, it would be de rigueur for him to provide a pair and a spare.  Likely the spare was left behind when dad hastily packed and left in the night.