The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: side_show on October 06, 2003, 02:06:43 pm

Title: The Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum (10-06-03)
Post by: side_show on October 06, 2003, 02:06:43 pm
awesome.

sounds a lot like the shit we post here sometimes!

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10062003).
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: CortJstr on October 06, 2003, 02:25:03 pm
I want to hear what they thought of Veg. Head. Although I'm a little curious why they were there at all.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 06, 2003, 03:19:00 pm
"Ahhh, the Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum."

Perfect. I once knew someone who had a similar issue with pianos and the beginning of Lady Madonna.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2003, 03:20:57 pm
Their commentary is just about perfect, and once again, the art is great; if I may, myself, be pretentious, we have a sense of veritas created by the addition of well-drawn background characters of the same visual leitmotif of Ray and the other cats.

... On a non-pretentious level, does Ray's head look really big in this strip, or is it just me?
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jough on October 06, 2003, 04:08:23 pm
Ah, Pat becomes Absurdist Hero.  Perhaps an Arab will wander onto the sandy stage and Pat will shoot him.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 06, 2003, 05:57:14 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
"Ahhh, the Day Tripper intro, ad nauseum."

Perfect. I once knew someone who had a similar issue with pianos and the beginning of Lady Madonna.


When I went to see the Wayne's World movie, I was the ONLY person in the theater who cracked up when Wayne grabbed the guitar he always wanted in the music store and started to play it - he gets three or four VERY recognizable notes out before the guitar salesman shushes him and points to the sign: NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

Personally, I thought that was the funniest bit in the whole movie.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 06, 2003, 06:16:07 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
... On a non-pretentious level, does Ray's head look really big in this strip, or is it just me?


It's not just you. Head's too big or arms are too small.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: monkey punch on October 06, 2003, 06:44:17 pm
cat heads seem to be what's on everybody's mind.  consistent with that trend, I offer the following:  the middle cat critic looks exactly like walter benjamin.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2003, 08:16:13 pm
It occurred to me that we may actually have witnessed the end of a whole character arc; the Pat we have here is far more reminiscent of early Pat, the one who was generally quiet and only a dick about reasonable things, like Ray claiming to have boned his brother-in-law. Maybe this whole electrocution episode has finally cured him of the dickishness building up within him since his hat got mocked and Roast Beef stole his spaceship.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: slink on October 06, 2003, 08:50:14 pm
It's funny, I never really noticed what a dick Pat was 'til about the point where he shot Beef.
And I think it's probably a little soon to decide that this is stilla vaguely improved Pat. I mean he's still all shell shocked from getting back to normal, so he's a bit dazed.
I guess it will transpire whether he is the full dick or not so bad in the next few strips or so.

Basically, too soon to tell.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: andalucia on October 06, 2003, 11:42:54 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Ah, Pat becomes Absurdist Hero.  Perhaps an Arab will wander onto the sandy stage and Pat will shoot him.


Props.

And AlohaDawg, I'm quite with you on that one... as an adament opponent of Stairway, which is astounding considering the volume of stoned kids I hang out with, I've always loved that part.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jough on October 07, 2003, 02:03:37 am
As a guitar player and a teenager who hung out in the local music store CONSTANTLY I could relate to the "No Stairway" sign.

Also during that era they should have had signs reading:

NO SWEET CHILD O' MINE
NO MONEY (Bass players have their own clichés)
NO HOT FOR TEACHER
NO TALK DIRTY TO ME

These were the songs that every middle-aged jackass would play to try to look cool.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: slink on October 07, 2003, 01:04:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
As a guitar player and a teenager who hung out in the local music store CONSTANTLY I could relate to the "No Stairway" sign.


Ditto.
And the others.
Damn Floyd fans!
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jough on October 07, 2003, 04:01:48 pm
Quote from: "jough"

These were the songs that every middle-aged jackass would play to try to look cool.


And now I am one of those jackasses, although I don't hang around a music store trying to play the riffs that are hip with the kids, now, but mostly because I have absolutely no idea what the kids are really listening to.  I can't bare to turn the radio dial off of the classic rock station, except to go to the all-80s station once in a while.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 09, 2003, 07:12:20 am
Quote from: "jough"
Ah, Pat becomes Absurdist Hero.  Perhaps an Arab will wander onto the sandy stage and Pat will shoot him.


Jough, I have no idea what the specific reference is here. However, that's not going to stop me from describing a troll on another board I'm on who has happily taken an absurdist turn.


It's ok, though, I paid money once. That does give me license to steal things at will, right? Right?
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jough on October 09, 2003, 07:45:25 am
Whore Hay,

It's just a Camus reference.  I guess it's also by association a Cure reference, but mostly it's about L'Etranger (The Stranger) a fine novel in which an existential hero ends up killing an Arab on the beach in Algiers just because.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 09, 2003, 03:01:30 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Whore Hay,

It's just a Camus reference.  I guess it's also by association a Cure reference, but mostly it's about L'Etranger (The Stranger) a fine novel in which an existential hero ends up killing an Arab on the beach in Algiers just because.


Well, technically the sun was in Meursault's eyes.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 09, 2003, 06:12:58 pm
Ah, Camus. I read The Plague once and then I stopped reading it in the middle.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 09, 2003, 06:17:09 pm
I thought he killed him because, what was the line.... "he did me dirt" or something like that.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: AugustWest on October 09, 2003, 06:23:58 pm
I liked The Plague better than The Stranger.  

And I thought Mersault killed the Arab because he thought the Arab had done him dirt, but later realized he was mistaken.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jay-ell on October 09, 2003, 06:31:57 pm
I was pretty sure it was because the sun was in his eyes, too.  I'll have to dig up my copy when I get home.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: V-Adore on October 09, 2003, 09:10:00 pm
If I'm recalling my high-school AP English correctly, it's all of these and none of these -- Meursault comes up with a lot of this rationalization afterwards, but at the time he really just did it for no reason. Very existential.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 12:30:37 am
Yeah, the whole point was that there was no point.

He killed him and then tried to find a reason why afterwards.

But I haven't read it in fifteen years, so I can't recall any lines directly.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:24:31 am
Man, I love this place.  I couldn't tell you how we got from Pat Reynolds to Camus, but I'm glad we did.
Title: Oct 6th
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 04:41:53 am
I guess that was my fault.  Camus does seem to come up a lot on this board, though.  

Someone mentioned the Myth of Sisyphus last month, which reminded me of a short play I wrote back in college called "Mrs. Sisyphus" about a woman wondering what was keeping her husband. I think giving her the first name of "Penelope" was pushing it a little, in hindsight.

Anyway, you just can't keep the French down.  Existentialism and Deconstruction comes up a lot in relation to this particular cartoon strip.  I blame Onstad.