The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: linnea on May 02, 2007, 04:19:33 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05022007
Heh. Awesome. Second day in a row to start the new thread on today's strip.
It appears that the glasses frames have split, and the nosepiece has been driven into Ray's frontal lobes.
-
good lord.
YOUR BRAIN!?
-
OK, it's really gross, but the blood shooting out of Ray's ears is at the same time utterly hilarious.
-
As usual, Beef gets it right.
-
Oh wow, jeez. I didn't know the whole nasal passage/jaw/ear canal trifecta applied to cats.
-
Where the hell is Nightlife?
-
And in just days.... the stoned lightning t-shirt is here.
Where is nightlife?
(In the vein of personal stories- Once in a rugby game a friend's thumb bone literally broke off and poked outside of his skin. "Dude you need to like go to the hospital... now. "Nah its cool i just need to get the bone back inside where it belongs and tape it over. Im cool. Im cool.")
-
(In the vein of personal stories- Once in a rugby game a friend's thumb bone literally broke off and poked outside of his skin. "Dude you need to like go to the hospital... now. "Nah its cool i just need to get the bone back inside where it belongs and tape it over. Im cool. Im cool.")
Ah, college. I still recall the time a friend of mine sliced his palm open with a boxcutter, slapped an old dining-hall paper napkin on there, wrapped his hand in duct tape to secure the napkin, and called it good. (The same guy managed to catch mono, have his spleen rupture, and have his corneas detach in one semester, although I don't think that's related to the boxcutter injury.)
-
Best part: Mr. Bear calls for "TAAAAAPE!" which is then used to fix Ray's glasses. Achewood logic at its purest.
-
Best part: Mr. Bear calls for "TAAAAAPE!" which is then used to fix Ray's glasses. Achewood logic at its purest.
Just like in Looney Tunes, when the medics rush in and put the crashed car on a stretcher, then run right over the dude on the way back. This is a subtler take on that theme, but no less classic.
It appears that the glasses frames have split, and the nosepiece has been driven into Ray's frontal lobes.
I'd make a Phineas Gage reference, but somebody already did that during Nice Pete's encounter with the iKill.
Is Ray about to become the brain-addled bus guy? This raises a few issues. If he dies of his injury instead, precedent suggests that he'll likely just go to Hell for a while and return after having some wacky adventures. But what effects would brain damage have? Death itself is apparently not a traumatic enough experience in Achewood to alter one's personality, but then Pat can fry his ding-dong and turn a complete 180. Where does sustaining a frontal lobe injury fall on that continuum?
-
Is Ray's face now concave?
-
This really is a good follow through. I didn't want another emergency room scene. At least not right away.
-
Is Ray's face now concave?
If this is so, then he has simply become a Persian.
-
If this is so, then he has simply become a Persian.
Great first post.
-
Color me underwhelmed by the new t-shirt. It looked so promising small and in black-and-white, but the 'sploded bird ain't as rounded/smooth as I'd like it to be, and the color is just wrong.
-
Mr. Bear is concerned for the same reason Vlad is. Ray cannot be seen in this condition and can never be seen without his glasses. Granted he had a different pair of glasses when he was young but the dude always has on hell of classy shades.*
I'm too wussy to tape up my own injuries. Sabu has been known to seal wounds from barbed wire with super glue and continue on as if nothing had happened. Dude has some scarring issues.
*I'm aware that we have seen Ray's eyes before, but that was for effect. It just shows how special and rare it is.
-
After seeing Ray's face all pushed-in I forgot how he normally looks. Had to go back a day and refresh my memory. I've always wondered if Ray has a predilection for plastic surgery. Maybe we will find out? Will it be a website cross over with awfulplasticsurgery.com? I feel so engaged as an achewood fan right now.
-
Vlad's attitude is completely old-school and Pete Rose.
Play hard, cripple a dude sliding into home in an exhibition game but... dammit... if you DO wound him terribly, protect the man from the press like a goddamned bulldog. You just broke his fuckin' leg for an insurance run in a game that means nothing but he is a brother of the bat and... should be treated as such.
-
I agree, 'specially about the colour choice. Hope he sells a jillion of them, though one won't be me.
I agree as well. Unfortunately I still think I need one...
-
Is Ray about to become the brain-addled bus guy? This raises a few issues. If he dies of his injury instead, precedent suggests that he'll likely just go to Hell for a while and return after having some wacky adventures. But what effects would brain damage have? Death itself is apparently not a traumatic enough experience in Achewood to alter one's personality, but then Pat can fry his ding-dong and turn a complete 180. Where does sustaining a frontal lobe injury fall on that continuum?
To be fair, Pat's ding-dong-frying-catalyzed personality change was based on an ancient curse of some sort (too lazy to Jstr it, sorry), so I would expect that even brain damage might not actually change Ray's personality. On the other hand, having a shard of Rodney Leonard Stubbs's personal glasses frames thrust into your frontal lobe could well pull quite the Gage on you.
-
To be fair, Pat's ding-dong-frying-catalyzed personality change was based on an ancient curse of some sort (too lazy to Jstr it, sorry), so I would expect that even brain damage might not actually change Ray's personality. On the other hand, having a shard of Rodney Leonard Stubbs's personal glasses frames thrust into your frontal lobe could well pull quite the Gage on you.
::steps out of the shadows::
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09242003
::vanishes while you aren't looking, Batman: TAS-style::
-
I know it is just a comic strip, but I was actually angry at the other characters, thinking "for fuck sake! Get him to a hospital! This is serious!" Is there a word for comically horrific?
-
I know it is just a comic strip, but I was actually angry at the other characters, thinking "for fuck sake! Get him to a hospital! This is serious!" Is there a word for comically horrific?
Wait. Where do you get the impression that they aren't going to take Ray to a hospital? I mean, sure, everybody is stoned so they're not on their game, but they seem to be acting about as responsibly as one could expect (Teodor asking questions to check Ray's awareness, etc). More importantly, Beef has emerged from his plexiglass chamber to face the stoners, so he's acknowledging in his superior state of sobriety that There Is A Problem. I'd be surprised if the next strip didn't take place in the hospital or on the way. Either way, I trust Onstad to do something funny which will ultimately bring the strip back to its status quo.
Bleeding from the ears isn't THAT uncommon with head trauma and doesn’t really suggest permanent brain damage (the continued spurts are unrealistic and clearly just for comic effect). Could just be a broken nose and a concussion. If this arc strives for realism, he'll probably lose some memories of the event but ultimately be okay. I had a (human) friend in a similar situation due to a soccer ball, which I'll admit isn't as hard as a softball, but still.
EDIT: Actually, don't people usually get hit in the back of the head to get the bleeding-of-the-ears thing? I'm definitely not an expert on this. But I doubt Onstad is, either.
-
They are just standing around talking! While he is bleeding! From his ears! And Ray is... smiling!
This alarms me in a profound way.
If this happened in real life to a friend, I was the kind of stoner who is so paranoid-freak-out-y-that I would probably just chant "hospital, hospital, hospital" until the necessary action was taken, but do nothing to ensure that it was actually done.
-
T is wearing a batting helmet, while Ray did not bat with a helmet. I guess you don't need one when you have cat-like reflexes.
-
Uh nope. This actually happened to me once, when an anvil fell on my head!
Did you experience acute accordianism too?
-
In anvil-related cases, it is possible to diagnose the exact site of the brain trauma by observing the species of the bird that flies around your head tweeting.
-
Bleeding from the ears usually results from skull fracture and is a Grave Sign. E.g. Dale Earnhardt was found in that condition after his 180mph head-on into the wall at Daytona.
-
Bleeding from the ears usually results from skull fracture and is a Grave Sign. E.g. Dale Earnhardt was found in that condition after his 180mph head-on into the wall at Daytona.
Any kind of leakage from the ears is a hella bad sign, whether blood as in Ray's case, or clear fluid (CSF, cerebrospinal fluid). That means that they've gotta get to a level 1 trauma center ASAP. We are at least 3 hours away from one of those unless we happen to have a plane already on the ground, fueled, and ready to rock. Thank heavens that Ray is a cartoon cat.