The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: linnea on May 03, 2007, 04:24:14 am

Title: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: linnea on May 03, 2007, 04:24:14 am
This is awesome.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/online_communities.png

The permalink to the comic is here: http://xkcd.com/c256.html

Apparently he used the size/popularity to rank the size of each nation/body of water. Being a map nerd, I love this.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: Doc on May 03, 2007, 09:50:16 am
After I got done looking for the tiny communities I like I was suprised by the big ones that I've never heard of. Mainly in the practical/real life corner of the world, unsuprisingly.

What is that really minute one in the middle of the icy north, can anyone tell?

Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2007, 01:14:29 pm
I love how small "Myspace Bands" is, considering it was invented specifically for bands. The sunken city of Usenet is cool too.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: AugustWest on May 03, 2007, 03:26:37 pm
Qwghlm!  I love it.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: jaydub on May 03, 2007, 04:13:12 pm
I am very likely going to order a poster of that.  I'll put a custom (teeny-tiny) TOUAMB island with a sharpie on it of course.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2007, 05:16:11 pm
I am very likely going to order a poster of that.  I'll put a custom (teeny-tiny) TOUAMB island with a sharpie on it of course.

Where would we be in relation to the Compass-Rose-Shaped Island?
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: jaydub on May 03, 2007, 05:36:00 pm
Well, despite how we go on here about stuff in real life, the fact that the hub of the community is a web comic puts us East of the rose - and the degree of mental masturbation we engage in puts us squarely into "Intellectual" territory.  The fact that a not-insignificant fraction of the membership is contributing to the Achewiki suggests we're located somewhere near the Wikipedia Project archipelago - but still somewhat northwest from there.  There's a nice open spot of sea there.  Maybe I'll draw in a tiny shipwreck off our shore labeled "Dumbrella".
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: CortJstr on May 03, 2007, 06:05:19 pm
Well, despite how we go on here about stuff in real life, the fact that the hub of the community is a web comic puts us East of the rose - and the degree of mental masturbation we engage in puts us squarely into "Intellectual" territory.  The fact that a not-insignificant fraction of the membership is contributing to the Achewiki suggests we're located somewhere near the Wikipedia Project archipelago - but still somewhat northwest from there.  There's a nice open spot of sea there.  Maybe I'll draw in a tiny shipwreck off our shore labeled "Dumbrella".

If only it was possible to make our island shaped like a tiny can of Dr. Pepper. Or maybe a roller skate.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: V-Adore on May 03, 2007, 07:24:52 pm
A-awesome sauce.

EDIT FOR UTILITY: Also, the tiny illegible thing in the Web 1.0 mountains is "Chuck Norris." Clearly there needed to be an even tinier one reading, in minuscule font, "Mr. T Ate My Balls."
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: jaydub on May 03, 2007, 08:46:07 pm
The oceans consist entirely of pr0n, naturally.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: pmcd9 on May 03, 2007, 09:12:18 pm
Maybe I'll draw in a tiny shipwreck off our shore labeled "Dumbrella".

So many cans for that.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: Drygioni on May 03, 2007, 09:28:59 pm
The oceans consist entirely of pr0n, naturally.

I don't want to know what sort of porno we catch in our waters. I've heard there's good giraffeing around the peninsula of Attractive Myspace Pages.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: jaydub on May 03, 2007, 09:46:38 pm
I don't want to know what sort of porno we catch in our waters. I've heard there's good giraffeing around the peninsula of Attractive Myspace Pages.

Catch 1 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,1098.0.html)
Catch 2 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3625.0.html)
Catch 3 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3445.0.html)
Catch 4 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2084.0.html)
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: Doc on May 04, 2007, 04:58:57 am
Catch 3 (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3445.0.html)

Let's throw that one back.
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: side_show on May 04, 2007, 01:34:22 pm
The idea of swimming in an ocean of porn is just so wrong.

Let's throw that one back.

But are we the giraffeerman in this analogy or the people in the giraffe market buy the product?
Title: Re: Xkcd's map of online communities
Post by: Doc on May 05, 2007, 12:11:41 am
But are we the giraffeerman in this analogy or the people in the giraffe market buy the product?

I think we're the giraffeerman but we're not *professional* giraffeerman, those would be blogs or news aggregators (one with a focus on porno... I guess?) or something. We represent a bunch of old knuckleheads just out there on Jough's boat just trying to have a good time. Then someone hauls in some weird big giraffe that smells overpoweringly weird and is generally unsettling and we know we could deal with it if we felt like it and it's certainly a story to tell but to keep it just for the purpose of showing it to other people is just too unpleasant so we throw it back. That is how that video is like a giraffe.