The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on May 15, 2007, 08:57:17 pm

Title: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 15, 2007, 08:57:17 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05152007

I was wondering if we'd ever hear about Envelópe again.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: jaydub on May 15, 2007, 09:12:20 pm
I thought Plath offed herself by jumping in the river.  Or was that Virginia Woolf?  Either way, a G-scale railroad re-enactment is indeed daaaaamn tacky.

I think a partially disrobed Real Doll version of Elizabeth Cady Stanton left carelessly discarded next to a half drunk box of Franzia would be a suitable display of tackiness for Ray.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: V-Adore on May 15, 2007, 09:37:24 pm
Man, all this after Envelope threw a fight for him and got extensive plastic surgery to disguise the fact? Ray really is the textbook definition of Ungrateful.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: CortJstr on May 15, 2007, 10:06:52 pm
Your belt is supposed to match your shoes? Man, fashion is too hard. I don't get this matching thing at all.

I never did see the point of switching hands when eating with a fork and knife, though. If you cut up everything all at once that would make sense, but you have to cut as you go.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: Golfhaus on May 15, 2007, 10:33:58 pm
Your belt is supposed to match your shoes? Man, fashion is too hard. I don't get this matching thing at all.

I never did see the point of switching hands when eating with a fork and knife, though. If you cut up everything all at once that would make sense, but you have to cut as you go.

You're not allowed to cut everything up at once?
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: side_show on May 16, 2007, 03:24:21 am
Oh man.  I spent way too much time in university reading Ariel and the Bell Jar over and over.  You know what?  She's really not that good.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: oball on May 16, 2007, 03:30:50 am
This one doesn't really click with me.  I had hoped for a funnier strip on my birthday.  I only have one other (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05152002).

Oh well.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: linnea on May 16, 2007, 02:42:32 pm
I thought Plath offed herself by jumping in the river.  Or was that Virginia Woolf?  Either way, a G-scale railroad re-enactment is indeed daaaaamn tacky.

I think a partially disrobed Real Doll version of Elizabeth Cady Stanton left carelessly discarded next to a half drunk box of Franzia would be a suitable display of tackiness for Ray.

Virginia filled her pockets with rocks and drowned herself in the river. Sylvia attempted suicide about a million times before she finally lost (some people say "succeeded" but I don't really think that's the case here). She put her head in the gas oven in their flat in London.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: melack on May 16, 2007, 02:54:33 pm
Plath also made sure to open the windows in the adjacent room, where her children were. Nice gesture, sure, but kind of marred by the overall result.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2007, 05:40:50 pm
my little bro' just read The Bell Jar and really liked it. Which is weird, as he's not much for pleasure-reading normally.

I cut up everything at once until really recently, when my dad made a comment. My parent's method of teaching me manners seems to mostly have consisted of "someone will tell him eventually." They also were big on doing things where suddenly they accused me of having horrible manners, as if they had taught me the proper way to do things and I was purposely mocking them by holding my fork the wrong way.

um, don't drink Franzia people. It leads to problems. (also don't drink tequila, but that's because it's just nasty.)   (it took me a minute to remember who Elizabeth Cady Stanton was.)
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 16, 2007, 06:27:11 pm
They also were big on doing things where suddenly they accused me of having horrible manners, as if they had taught me the proper way to do things and I was purposely mocking them by holding my fork the wrong way.

MY PARENTS DID THIS TOO. God, it's funny that you would mention it on this strip because I remember I got in a huge fight with my dad when I was in eighth grade because I did NOT move my fork between hands just to take a bite of meat. I agree with Ray - it is tacky (well actually, I don't see why it's tacky - more useless) and a waste of energy and no one notices. Except Ray and Bill James, apparently.

My dad told me that someone probably hated me because I didn't switch my fork.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: Drastic Action on May 16, 2007, 07:26:21 pm
It appears Ray is saying that moving your fork between hands just for a bite is what is tacky, not failing to do so.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: linnea on May 16, 2007, 08:49:08 pm
Plath also made sure to open the windows in the adjacent room, where her children were. Nice gesture, sure, but kind of marred by the overall result.

Apparently she sealed the door to the childrens' room with wet towels in an effort to protect them, and I'm guessing that she opened the window in their room. However, it's pretty surprising that they didn't get CO poisoning -- hey, maybe they did, but they were removed to fresh air by the neighbors or something and recovered. Even if you open the window, you can still be injured or even die in a carbon-monoxide poisoned room. I am reminded of a story that I read in the Rocky Mountain News about a dude who tried to kill himself in the garage. He ended up changing his mind, but someone else was asleep in the bedroom upstairs and died from CO poisoning. The CO molecules have an affinity to hemoglobin and hog all the space on your RBCs, thereby crowding out the oxygen.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 16, 2007, 10:26:54 pm
It appears Ray is saying that moving your fork between hands just for a bite is what is tacky, not failing to do so.

I know. My dad takes the point of view opposite Ray's. What I'm saying is that they both care about it, and I don't understand why.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: Golfhaus on May 16, 2007, 10:41:55 pm
I feel for rumjay. Having to choose between her father and Ray.

I'd just say screw it and eat without hands at all, trough-stylezz
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: MattFish on May 16, 2007, 11:37:42 pm
(also don't drink tequila, but that's because it's just nasty.)

Welcome to being uncultured about alcohol. It is definitely 100% crass to expect liquor to be palatable whose primary target market feels vomiting is in the drinking "pro-column". Pay the cash and get tequila that tastes like not-ass. Good tequila is sad about being in the same store as bad tequila.

So as far as moving forks, is the proper way to do it (as a right handed individual) to cut with your knife in your right hand and then eat the piece with your fork in your left, or cut with your non-dominant hand and eat in a more comfortable, natural fashion? I see the obvious energy waste switching, however, it is done for the sake of not feeling awkward, which is why there is a non-consensus as to whether it is tacky (unstylish) or not. Physical awkwardness is generally unstylish, I would assume?
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: CortJstr on May 16, 2007, 11:42:26 pm
I know. My dad takes the point of view opposite Ray's. What I'm saying is that they both care about it, and I don't understand why.

In HomeEc I learned that switching hands is the "American style" and eating with the same hand is "European." Apparently your dad hates Europe.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2007, 12:38:03 am
ah, see, I was under the impression that there was no such thing as "better" tequila. And that it was more of an issue of me needing to "stop being a goddamn pussy, this shit is good!"
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: jaydub on May 17, 2007, 12:51:00 am
Eating with your off hand builds character. And provides me with entertainment.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: MattFish on May 17, 2007, 01:02:45 am
ah, see, I was under the impression that there was no such thing as "better" tequila. And that it was more of an issue of me needing to "stop being a goddamn pussy, this shit is good!"

Sorry for being so harsh about it...if you'd like me to recommend some brands I'd be more than happy; what were you drinking that was so nasty?
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: Golfhaus on May 17, 2007, 02:01:18 am
I've got five dollars that says it was Cuervo.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: MattFish on May 17, 2007, 03:52:34 am
I've got five dollars that says it was Cuervo.

Which means he spent almost-good-tequila money for rot-gut, kind of like my first experience with Jack Daniels. I've since learned the ways of the world.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2007, 06:22:27 am
ah, see, I was under the impression that there was no such thing as "better" tequila. And that it was more of an issue of me needing to "stop being a goddamn pussy, this shit is good!"

Don't unlearn what you arleady know.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2007, 06:23:38 am
In HomeEc I learned that switching hands is the "American style" and eating with the same hand is "European." Apparently your dad hates Europe.

Yeah, well the Europeans eat with the fork upside down so they obviously don't have a clue what they are doing.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2007, 06:35:05 am
yeah. probably.

the story, though, was fun.

This kid informed my roommate and I that he would share his tequila with us, it being Cinco De Mayo and all. I found this lame, but said sure. He brought it over, explained the whole lime/salt/whatever thing. I declared that I wouldn't be sucking any limes. He took a shot, and declared it wonderful.
My roommate then attempted the shot, his first shot ever, and basically choked/coughed for a good 30 seconds. His face was red as we laughed, and he said "fine, motherfucker, you fuck*ng drink it then!"
I licked the salt and downed the shot with a straight face. I then said something to the effect of "I am never drinking that shit again."

To be honest, so far the only alcohols I have been able to differentiate are as follows:
Franzia vs. Real Wine: Tastes/looks less like a juice box. So, mixed outcome.
Shitty Vodka vs. Real Vodka: Wow, see, this doesn't taste like gasoline.
crappy beers of various types vs. uber-expensive imported beer: Wow, I actually found a beer I like! *second sip* wait... no. No, that was a lie. beer is not my thing. Maybe next year.

And yes, paul, part of it is that my mouth is a pussy. I mean... I am a pussy. I mean... no part of me is a pu$$y.

I am in no part a pu$$y.

But it is true that my palate is over-sensitive. To everything, not just alcohols of various types.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: Ben-San on May 17, 2007, 07:16:54 am
To me, the difference between good liquor and bad liquor is "Jesus balls, someone drinks this?!"

If I have that reaction, it's bad liquor.To good liquor, I have the reaction "Bleh, not my thing".
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: pmcd9 on May 17, 2007, 05:00:27 pm
And yes, paul, part of it is that my mouth is a pussy. I mean... I am a pussy. I mean... no part of me is a pu$$y.

I think you misunderstand me.  The main difference between the "bad tequila" and the "good tequila" is the price of it.  The Emperor has no clothes.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: theinevitable on May 17, 2007, 05:13:35 pm
...why did only one of those change to $$'s?

I dislike that I said that word so much.
Title: Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
Post by: MattFish on May 18, 2007, 04:09:03 am
I think you misunderstand me.  The main difference between the "bad tequila" and the "good tequila" is the price of it.  The Emperor has no clothes.

You're extremely wrong, but that's alright. By all means further the ill-advised slander of a distinguished product by the nature of its hackneyed, illegitimate step-kin.