The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on May 21, 2007, 04:13:46 am

Title: 24-hour film competitions
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 21, 2007, 04:13:46 am
Have any of you party-people tried one of these before?

My buddies and I entered one a coupla weekends ago and... we had to shoot a short film from a title provided at the top of the 24 hour clock and have it edited and handed in the exact same minute the next day.

It was pretty wild. While it's kind of an arbitrary exercise, man, it is fun to see what you can come up with on the fly.

We did well enough, in the top 12 out of 30 entries, to at least make the competition screening at the end and... like... that's pretty much prize enough, insofar as a jury of our peers said "this is not so bad as to not be shown in public".

I love weird contests like that.

Anything similar in other creative fields that I don't know about?
Title: Re: 24-hour film competitions
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 21, 2007, 04:31:48 am
There was a thing were you had to make, like, a song a day for a month, or something.  It is on this board, but I can't find it.

Also, similarly, the band Bishop Allen released an EP every month last year.  They are pretty fun to listen to.
Title: Re: 24-hour film competitions
Post by: theinevitable on May 21, 2007, 07:33:35 am
I almost did it with some friends. But they crapped out on me.
Title: Re: 24-hour film competitions
Post by: Limmo on May 21, 2007, 08:25:26 pm
Our band's singer said "Hey, let's go up to the shack in Carmel for a long weekend and record a new album.  Only let's go in with no previously written material!"  So we did.

We cheated.  One of the songs we recorded was previously written.  The other twelve we wrote and recorded on the spur of the moment.  We also got very drunk.  So we had that going for us.

Title: Re: 24-hour film competitions
Post by: side_show on May 22, 2007, 02:13:42 am
I've officiated the same sort of contest for the stage.  It's a good time, but also tends to remind me that I am getting older.  I am more and more about "getting a good night's sleep" and less and less about "staying up all night doing _________."