The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on May 21, 2007, 05:23:56 pm
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007)
Well, this arc took a swerve I wasn't expecting. I guess Ray decided it was man-time and he got to come real.
-
Nothing like the head-sweat of a fat balding knee-jerk social-conservative activist type.
He got that sweat just right. Spot on.
"This world ain't nothin' but bad news and the pills that go with it." I have to figure out how to steal that line for a script without getting caught. Oh man, is that a good line. And oh man, is that an ironic line coming out of Ray's mouth.
-
I had a Kashi brand TV dinner and the package said it was made with honest ingredients. I was thinking what a load of hossshit. I'm glad Onstad agrees with me. Dang, I wish I had a woman thinking about my Christmas present in March. That would be nice.
-
Also, maybe, perhaps, the possibility that this may lead to Roast Beef getting married, a-hem??
-
goodness gracious. I do not know how to handle this.
-
Ladies, don't do this to your eyebrows, serious. Eyebrows do not need this much attention, nor do they need to look like they are part of a clown's make up.
Guys, don't wear short sleeved dress shirts with black ties. Is it ever OK to wear a short sleeved dress shirt?
This strip does make me feel better about being engaged for almost 4 years, though.
-
I feel like I am a rare guy, in that I am totally into the concept of one day being married.
I'm sure I would feel differently, though, if the possibility were not so far off.
-
randy is adorable
-
Is it ever OK to wear a short sleeved dress shirt?
No. Short sleeves w/ a tie = wrong. Short sleeve sport shirts are OK. "Short sleeved dress shirt" is an oxymoron.
-
I kind of liked the idea of Beef and Molly getting married until I thought - then are they going to have kittens? And that's just going terrifyingly too far.
-
No. Short sleeves w/ a tie = wrong. Short sleeve sport shirts are OK. "Short sleeved dress shirt" is an oxymoron.
A dress shirt should be worn with a jacket. Could you imagine seeing someone's arms, sans cuffs, poking out of a dress jacket?
-
yes, because my cuffs somehow work their way up into the jacket without me noticing.
Also because sometimes people wear a dress jacket with a polo shirt? no? My highschool's sense of acceptable fashion was way outside the mainstream.
-
I kind of liked the idea of Beef and Molly getting married until I thought - then are they going to have kittens? And that's just going terrifyingly too far.
Yeah, it makes me wonder what kind of birth control they use. Was the Today Sponge banned in the kitty underground as well?
-
I remember having an argument with my mom that short-sleeved dress shirts are hell of tacky and nobody wears them. Her counter argument was that my dad wears them. I pointed out that she basically buys his clothes as well, so that's not really evidence. She finally relented when I challenged her to find one person on TV with a short-sleeved dress shirt that didn't also sport a pocket-protector.
I hate wearing a jacket. It's usually so pointless (events where a jacket required for entry, but you're encouraged to take it off as soon as you're inside) and hot. Plus I have no idea how to decide which one to wear with which #####/tie/shirt.
In the opposite direction I sometimes wear long-sleeved polo/golf shirts to work. I always feel vaguely toolish when I do, but I also don't feel like dealing with the cleaning/ironing of 4 dress shirts a week.
Basically if I ever get a job with business attire I'm fucked.
Anyway, cartoon cats. Beef has already stated emphatically that he wants no kids but I think Molly could talk him into it.
-
Actual true fact: I live in a town called Carrboro. But nobody gives us free cheese sandwiches, dammit.
-
Don't do it, Beef. You know better.
-
Two points:
1.) I am wearing a short sleeve dress shirt. AS I TYPE THIS.
2.) As Beef was born intersexed, there is the strong possibility that A Dude is shooting blanks or, at least, mostly blanks. Plus we have seen their condoms before, I believe, but Beef would probably use them out of disease fears early in the relationship anyway. The threat of kittens is probably distant and/or very difficult to achieve if the artist chooses to adhere to that bit of continuity is all I'm sayin'.
2a.) Would talking cats still have litters or does the fact that lady talking cats tend to have your classic human set of two on their chests suggest a more person-like birthing pattern? If we discovered that talking cats usually have litters but it's just accepted that only one or two will survive infancy, it would be pretty Achewoodish.
-
My wardrobe sports a number of dress shirts, both long- and short-sleeved. At one point I did wear ties with the short-sleeved shirts; I don't do this anymore, but then again, generally I don't wear ties to work anymore. We have a ties-optional policy at a workplace dominated by women. There are two males in my part of the department - the other one wears ties pretty much all the time. I was worried when our new manager came in that she would see both of us wearing ties pretty much constantly and assume that Ties Were The Rule, and that they would then BECOME The Rule. So I ditched them to set precedent.
2a.) Would talking cats still have litters or does the fact that lady talking cats tend to have your classic human set of two on their chests suggest a more person-like birthing pattern? If we discovered that talking cats usually have litters but it's just accepted that only one or two will survive infancy, it would be pretty Achewoodish.
Wow, that would freak all the hell right out of me. Ray has already suggested that cats can talk right out of the chute (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03222005)... I just have a picture of one of the ones not making it saying, "Well, it was fun guys... sorry this couldn't have lasted a little longer..." damn, that makes me sad just thinking about it.
IF YOU EVER DO THIS ONSTAD SO HELP ME GOD I'LL STOP READING
-
Wow, that would freak all the hell right out of me. Ray has already suggested that cats can talk right out of the chute (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03222005)... I just have a picture of one of the ones not making it saying, "Well, it was fun guys... sorry this couldn't have lasted a little longer..." damn, that makes me sad just thinking about it.
IF YOU EVER DO THIS ONSTAD SO HELP ME GOD I'LL STOP READING
Milan and Lennybruce had a third littermate that didn't make it. It still makes me sad to think about that. I would have gladly shelled out another $600 for that little dude or lady if he/she had made it. *sniffle*
-
Envelópe's face transplant did not involve actual surgery, but it is still enough to prevent the guys at the gym from recognizing him.
-
I love wearing nice dress jackets. I only have one, though.
I have many "nice" short-sleeved shirts. I am not sure if they qualify as dress shirts.
I once wore a tie with a polo shirt. It was pretty awesome.
-
unconvincing
-
I live in a place where the temperature regularly tops 35 degrees, you better believe short sleeved business shirts are acceptable. But not with a tie or jacket, that's just dumb, and defeats the purpose of the cooling short sleeves.
Also because sometimes people wear a dress jacket with a polo shirt? no? My highschool's sense of acceptable fashion was way outside the mainstream.
No.
As for the strip: I doubt that marriage will actually occur but I like where this is going.
-
35 degrees
I still can't get my head around this "Celsius" concept.
-
I dunno, I think a skinny tie and short sleeved button up shirt worn too-tight on a dude who is light for his frame can look pretty damn punk, in that piss-off Manchester boys' school dropout kind of way. It isn't really "dress" but it can definitely be a fashion "do," especially if you're clever with the ##### and shoes.
I remember when I first started lurking on this board, Molly was a subject of derision and unpopularity. I've always been a fan. She's the kind of woman a dude like Beef really needs.
-
I can accept short sleeved shirt and tie as part of the punky look but punk fashion is based on looking terrible so I do not retract my statement.
Inev: 35C = 95F. Summer here normally goes between about 85F and tops out around 105F, generally on christmas day. Short sleeved business shirts are nothing to be ashamed of. But most dudes I see who work a job where dress shirts are expected just wear a long sleeved shirt and roll it up.
-
yes, I did convert it. I just... every time I see a temperature in celsius, I get severely confused for several seconds.
-
yes, I did convert it. I just... every time I see a temperature in celsius, I get severely confused for several seconds.
Its a matter of developing an intuitive feel for the measurements by having a sufficiently large internal sample of familiar things. I know how big inches are, because the final joint of my index finger is that length. Similarly, the width of the nail on that finger is 1cm. I actually learned the meter first, and I have a feel for yards because they're close to a meter (which is the distance from the floor to a doorknob - mostly). Longer distances I think of in football fields.
Temperature's more difficult, because our sense of it is so dependent on things like how sunny it seems, whether its windy, whether the thing you're measuring conducts heat like metal (which feels cooler) or insulates heat (like wood which feels warmer since the heat from your hand doesn't get carried away as you hold the object). Your mood can even affect your perception of temperature.
Most people's skin temperature is 81F to 85F (27C to 29C) so a room with an air temperature higher than that feels "hot". A 20C (68F) room feels cool (some would say cold), but that's what employers and school officials like because you're more alert in that environment. 108F (42C) is a hot bath (unless you're Japanese, who appear to enjoy blanching themselves at 44C, 111F). That's painfully hot for me in water, again, because water is a great conductor. If I was outdoors in the shade, a 111F day would be really, terribly hot but I could probably sit all day in it because air isn't as good a conductor.
-
I gave the conversion because I'm exactly the same inev, I have no point of reference for yards and seeing american newscasts of people standing in snow talking about it being 40 degrees just confuses the hell out of me. I can just about cope with miles and inches though.
-
I gave the conversion because I'm exactly the same inev, I have no point of reference for yards and seeing american newscasts of people standing in snow talking about it being 40 degrees just confuses the hell out of me. I can just about cope with miles and inches though.
A yard is 0.91 meters, so that should actually be one of the easier concepts to wrap our heads around in either direction.
-
A gram? A gram!
About the weight of a single raisin
About the weight of a paper clip, now isn't that amazin'!
-
A yard is 0.91 meters, so that should actually be one of the easier concepts to wrap our heads around in either direction.
It should be but as someone starts talking about a distance beyond say 3 yards I am completely unable to judge how long they mean. My brain just refuses to do the calculations. Not sure why.
-
One of my good friends here is Dutch (Hollandaise? Netherlander? whatever). Anyway, she was getting confused when I was talking about something in terms of a "300 yard radius". I then explained, "Oh, just think of it as around 300 meters, it's pretty close." Then of course my boss had to make sure to patronizingly inform me in a you-are-so-stupid voice that a yard was not the same as a meter.
I had to stop and manually turn off my sarcasm switch in order to say, "Yes, I know that. That is why I said AROUND, and IT'S PRETTY CLOSE."
-
As a brief experiment, I plan to refer to the Dutch folks I know as Hollandaise, and see how it goes. Since I know all of 2 - it will be brief indeed. They'll probably just assume I'm a stupid American and ignore me.