The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on May 23, 2007, 09:23:23 am

Title: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: oball on May 23, 2007, 09:23:23 am
That bridge looks familiar. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05232007)

This story arc is much better now.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: wombat on May 23, 2007, 11:13:08 am
I love Beef so hard, I think I would marry him.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Golfhaus on May 23, 2007, 12:57:39 pm
Wow... Beef may not always bring it, but when he brings it, he brings it hard.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: CortJstr on May 23, 2007, 01:10:17 pm
Wow... Beef may not always bring it, but when he brings it, he brings it hard.

Come on, when was there a time when Beef was present yet did not bring it? Sure, he may have his off days but most of the time, when it is present, it is because Beef brought it.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 23, 2007, 02:10:14 pm
"Version 0.9b" on what is essentially a note-to-self is pretty goddamn funny.

Not in a loud belly-laugh kinda way but in a quiet thinkin'-about-how-funny-it-is kinda way.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Beatrice on May 23, 2007, 02:17:09 pm
is it getting to be onstad's anniversary or something?
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 23, 2007, 03:19:17 pm
Roast Beef could go pro in depression, man. Not many people will actually jump off of bridges when thinking about what should be one of the most joyful events of their life. Nor will they find eight different scenarios in which said joyful event ends horribly.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: IsoscelesLock on May 23, 2007, 03:56:17 pm
Logged in for the first time in months, because the pro-con list hit close to home.

Yes, I have evaluated a relationship in this manner.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: V-Adore on May 23, 2007, 04:42:41 pm
I think everyone Of A Certain Personality Type has, really.

Also, yes, this strip is excellent.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2007, 06:09:19 pm
"can put my chin on her head when we stand up"-- this is why I like to date ladies of a certain height. Beef knows how it goes.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 23, 2007, 06:27:25 pm
"can put my chin on her head when we stand up"-- this is why I like to date ladies of a certain height. Beef knows how it goes.

That would be cool. I would like that to happen at some point. Except for the fact that I'm 5'11 so I would need to date Hermann Munster for that to happen.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 23, 2007, 06:33:55 pm
See, the only thing that AIN'T perfect about my girlfriend is that he is a woman of a slightly above average height (5'7") and I am a very tall gentleman (6'6") and... I always wanted to seriously date a lady in the 6'1" range so as to see what it's like to be with a girl whom I am only slightly taller than.

So this is one of the few ways I am different from Beef.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: jaydub on May 23, 2007, 07:59:47 pm
I content myself with resting my chin on shoulders - because most of the female world is only an inch or two shorter than me.  I think I remember reading that your head is 1/7th to 1/8th of your height, so I'd need to find a lady between 4'9 and 4'10.  Alternatively, I could track down a 6'5 beauty for her to experience the same degree of fit.
Rumjay, you could go the mighty-mite route and date someone around 5'2.  Glenn Danzig would be an option ;)

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/511262437_45bc226427_m.jpg)
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on May 23, 2007, 08:53:15 pm
That bridge looks familiar.

It truly does, and I even remember Roast Beef jumping off it into the creek before, in such a manner as to promote thinking and/or being depressed.  But I can't find it in the archives with my tiny monkey brain.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: oball on May 23, 2007, 10:14:01 pm
The dude is from Circumstances. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07012005)


See, the only thing that AIN'T perfect about my girlfriend is that he is a woman of a slightly above average height

I think I found something else that is less than perfect.

Unless you swing that way in which case whatever dude I'm not judging as long as you're happy.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on May 23, 2007, 10:48:49 pm
The dude is from Circumstances. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07012005)

A tiny can of frosty refreshment for you, kind sir.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: oball on May 24, 2007, 02:18:17 am
It was as simple as typing "bridge" into the search box below the comic.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: linnea on May 24, 2007, 05:13:25 am
I like how Beef's time-tested way to cope with adversity is to slip into the crick and just ruminate.

How on earth did Gramma K make him afraid of creeks? At any rate, it seems that they are the perfect vehicle for Beef's inner thought process during extreme stress.

Anyway, I love this strip. And Rumjay, I was supposed to be way taller than 5'4.5" but that's the hand that Life dealt me. I would give my eyeteeth to be a statuesque 5'11".
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2007, 06:13:51 am
Quote
I think I remember reading that your head is 1/7th to 1/8th of your height, so I'd need to find a lady between 4'9 and 4'10.

I did not need to know that this girl I like is basically the exact right height for head-resting. I mean, not that it changes anything, but just that...

people ask what she looks like, and I say "she's the cutest." I can never explain this. Now I can say "she is, mathematically, within the range where I can rest my chin on the top of her head."
Of course with my luck I'd end up having a short head or something. Or, less pertinently, she'd say "why the fuck are you putting your chin on my head? stop doing this thing to me."

but anyway. I like the concept that now I know the optimal height for a lady to date. Of course, none of the girls I have dated are in this range. For some reason, all of the girls (all three!) I have dated have been taller than average.

in other news, I have realized that I always put "just" in the wrong place in sentences. I am not sure why. This is just one of many weird things I do when typing/writing. I have corrected this error for the duration of this post.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Alternate on May 24, 2007, 06:29:05 am
The last strip made me think that Roast Beef believes that marriage is a prerequisite for death, like if he just stays single then when the reaper comes for him he'll be able to talk his way out of it.  He'll plead that he can't die yet, he's left too many things unfinished on earth -- like marriage, for example.  But no, he knows he has to die either way.  It's just that it only seems real if there's a witness. 

Oh, and Linnea:  If I ever find myself standing on my toes trying to grab something from a shelf, the object of my desire stubbornly remaining a mere 1.75 inches out of reach, I'll be sure to ask you for help.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Doc on May 24, 2007, 11:13:05 am
Alt: I think he knows death is inevitable and he's ok with it but he feels guilty for inconveniencing others.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: CortJstr on May 24, 2007, 01:00:15 pm
The last strip made me think that Roast Beef believes that marriage is a prerequisite for death, like if he just stays single then when the reaper comes for him he'll be able to talk his way out of it.  He'll plead that he can't die yet, he's left too many things unfinished on earth -- like marriage, for example.  But no, he knows he has to die either way.  It's just that it only seems real if there's a witness. 

Oh, and Linnea:  If I ever find myself standing on my toes trying to grab something from a shelf, the object of my desire stubbornly remaining a mere 1.75 inches out of reach, I'll be sure to ask you for help.

Well if he stays unmarried then he can't be drafted into the military if I remember my old testament right. So in a way that could prevent death.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: hoogli44 on May 24, 2007, 02:14:41 pm
Is the name of the bridge "Public Bridge"? Or is that just the type of bridge it is?
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Toaster on May 24, 2007, 03:43:35 pm
Is the name of the bridge "Public Bridge"? Or is that just the type of bridge it is?

Hilarious.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: ImpyChick on May 24, 2007, 04:05:24 pm
I was supposed to be way taller than 5'4.5" but that's the hand that Life dealt me. I would give my eyeteeth to be a statuesque 5'11".

Heh...I'd give my eyeteeth to be a statuesque 5'4.5."  I should've taken my damn Flintstones vitamins, eh? 

I've had many-a-chin rested on my head.  It gets kind of annoying when it's done ALL the friggin' time...especially by strangers/mere acquaintances.  But, for some reason, it's really cute imagining Beef do this to Molly.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: AugustWest on May 24, 2007, 05:34:56 pm
Ha Ha!  You people are short.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Alternate on May 24, 2007, 05:47:49 pm
Well if he stays unmarried then he can't be drafted into the military if I remember my old testament right. So in a way that could prevent death.

I haven't read that part of the old testament, but I think Roman law prevented the execution of unmarried girls.  Which meant that whenever people wanted to execute a young girl, they had to force her through a wedding ceremony with a random dude, first. 
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Alternate on May 24, 2007, 06:16:20 pm
Oh, and at least we don't get hurt when we fall down.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 24, 2007, 08:03:35 pm
Well if he stays unmarried then he can't be drafted into the military if I remember my old testament right. So in a way that could prevent death.

I think it's actually married guys, but only in the first year after their wedding.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: CortJstr on May 25, 2007, 12:27:29 am
I think it's actually married guys, but only in the first year after their wedding.

That sounds familiar too but I don't really feel like scouring Blogging the Bible to find out if my earlier recollection was right.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: linnea on May 25, 2007, 03:42:40 am
Oh, and Linnea:  If I ever find myself standing on my toes trying to grab something from a shelf, the object of my desire stubbornly remaining a mere 1.75 inches out of reach, I'll be sure to ask you for help.

Heh! Dude, just give me a call. I'd be glad to help. I always get made fun of when we have to wash the rigs (ambulance and/or fire trucks) because I have to hop and jump and climb to get the job done.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: jough on May 25, 2007, 04:06:10 am
So funny, and so apropos at this time. 

I liked this strip.  It's true to Beef, and true to life.

Carry on, Achewoodians.
Title: Re: May 23rd, 2007 - Less balls than a carrot listening to violin music
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2007, 06:39:29 am
PS I did a size comparison, and I obviously have a big head or something. I would have to date quite small of a girl, i think, to have her head fit under my chin. Maybe I am wrong, though.

I am trying really hard to avoid doing a thing where I try to triangulate girls' heights from facebook pictures.