The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: the gooseman on May 25, 2007, 08:55:57 am

Title: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: the gooseman on May 25, 2007, 08:55:57 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05252007

Hooray onstad.

If I were you - i would have stopped after referencing the great outdoor fight etc... resting in the knowledge that i am a genius.

kudos to you onstad.

(up yours garfield)
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2007, 09:09:51 am
Maybe it's just too early in the morning, but words fail me.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: CortJstr on May 25, 2007, 12:58:06 pm
Cornelius is just awesome at references. Although I think this narrowly beats out "There now. Afraid of the police?" as the best.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 25, 2007, 01:08:23 pm
Correct choice of subject line.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: pez on May 25, 2007, 01:10:15 pm
Cornelius is a shining light from heaven.

I chastise myself for previously omitting to notice that the dude in Dude & Catastrophe is Beef himself. It makes sense now. Sweet, sweet sense.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: hoogli44 on May 25, 2007, 02:29:28 pm
Cornelius is my hero. The Dude and Catastrophe is my valhalla.

Great strip BTW. I was happy with the irreverance of the Envelope arc, but this has taken me someplace beyond that.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2007, 03:34:04 pm
Damn, what a reasonable bear.  Such clarity.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jaydub on May 25, 2007, 03:58:49 pm
Frida Kahlo epitomizes human suffering.  Such an apt allusion for Beef.  Licking the unibrow is an unsettling image...
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Enkidu on May 25, 2007, 04:38:55 pm
Frida Kahlo epitomizes human suffering.  Such an apt allusion for Beef.  Licking the unibrow is an unsettling image...
I want to know how he came up with that one.  "Lets see . . . need a horrifying dream for beef . . . licking Frida Kahlo's unibrow?  Yeah, yeah thats pretty bad."  I mean, damn.

For people like me who needed to look up the reference, here it is. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo)
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2007, 05:01:49 pm
I am always fascinated with ladies who have facial hair.  I've always wanted to ask them "so, what is up with that facial hair? Clearly you are aware that it is there - or have you convinced yourself otherwise?  Even though you look in the mirror from time to time?"  I once met a lady with a little beard - more a cluster of wiry curly chin hairs, they were long and undeniably there, and she was so frank about things in general that I almost asked her, then she did a little speech (this was at a conference) where she made a joke about how uncomfortable her kids were because she wouldn't shave off her chin hairs.  She didn't mention why she didn't get rid of them, but inferred her kids were silly for wanting her to get rid of them.  I suppose it's sort of a feminist act... to... not maintain one's personal grooming?  So what is up with Frida?  Are her 'stache and brow an act of defiance?  I work with a girl with a mustache, and I always wonder, why not... deal with that?  Especially since she is an actor, and not having a mustache would improve her odds.  She is girlie in every other way. 
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jaydub on May 25, 2007, 05:14:07 pm
Frida was an avowed communist.  Somehow I think she equated conforming to the general ideal of femininity as terribly bourgeois.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 25, 2007, 05:15:39 pm
THE BEAR KNOWS WHAT'S UP.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2007, 05:27:05 pm
Somehow I think she equated conforming to the general ideal of femininity as terribly bourgeois.

I used to be that way until I noticed how much hairier my unshaven legs were than anyone else's unshaven legs (dang Italian genes).  I mean, you can take these things too far, you know?
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: dejavroom on May 25, 2007, 05:28:20 pm
LICK Frida Kahlo's eyebrow, LICK, not KICK. I'm blind early in the morning, it seems. NOW I understand the nightmarish component.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jaydub on May 25, 2007, 05:32:35 pm
(dang Italian genes).

One of my dear friends, whose maiden name was Mangine, has forearm hair that you could probably style.  She didn't bother with messing with her arms, but had a razor budget for her shins.  She liked wearing stockings, and noone wants to see leg hair swirled up under stockings.



[JW]Edited for who's/whose grammar error!  Argh!
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: V-Adore on May 25, 2007, 05:43:36 pm
This is a lovely strip. I don't have much else to say about that.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 25, 2007, 05:58:55 pm
Ah man, womb@. That's another reason why it's a good thing I am not a lady.

Though I am pretty pale for a gentleman of Italian/Eastern European descent, I am a relatively hairy dude and would have probably been a very hairy lady. I have been able to grow facial hair since I was eleven and when I decided to grow a beard recently, I put together a light beard in a week.

I would'a been one of those pudgy girls who waxes her arms weekly... under the thought that, like, if I can't lose weight, I can at least control this shit. Oh man. More and more reasons why it is a good thing.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2007, 06:28:24 pm
I am reminded to be thankful that I don't also have the arm problem.  That's the advantage of being a mongrel instead of a purebred I guess.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2007, 06:35:31 pm
I have the traditional aboriginal hair pattern - ie: no major body hair, but prominant brow hair.  I swear if I don't pluck it would become a single strip.  And then what people?  Then what?  Unlike my ancestors I have no use for a self-generated sun visor.

Also, deja - the image of anyone kicking Kahlo's eyebrow is somehow fascinating.  Really I'd sign Andy Warhol up for the job.

Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jaydub on May 25, 2007, 07:17:05 pm
To tie into another discussion: Does it make it better theorizing that you would make the type of gal who would match up with the guy you and allow restings of chins on heads?

Does the image of guy you and girl you engaged in an embrace with chin on head pressings provide comfort or nightmare fuel?

Have you been reading xkcd recently (http://xkcd.com/c267.html), Ash?
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2007, 08:41:58 pm
I have been told that she didn't really have a particularly prominent mustache or uni-brow, but that she exaggerated them in her paintings to appear more gender-ambiguous/manly. I do not know if this is true.

I have a unibrow. That shit gets plucked.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jough on May 25, 2007, 10:22:42 pm
XKCD is my new favourite web comic. 

I'm going to go ask a stranger to fly a kite with me now...
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: colmore on May 25, 2007, 11:51:44 pm
The fly a kite date is a killer.  A friend of mine's dad from Brooklyn dropped that hint on us once.  It's free and charming.

There was this professor where I went to school who didn't just have some visible female facial hair, she had a full on, hairs of inch long stature, wispy she-goatee.  If you asked other students about "the Goatee lady who's around Philosophy hall alot," they would inevitably know the professor.

Hats off.  That's not just a delusional "nobody notices," the deciding not to wax equivalent of a comb-over.  That's not even just a "well they can mind their own business, I'm not changing my body."  That's a full on "yeah, my body totally doesn't round peg its way into any species of normal idea of what gender is all about, and a blind man's dog will tell him from across a 100 foot room, and you know what, fuck each and every one of you who gives a shit what I look like. I've got a god damned life and a job and there isn't a single logical reason why my interactions with any of you extraneous motherfuckers should be based in any way on what bizarre choices the follicles on my face are making."  After having this revelation, I would angrily argue down anyone making fun of Prof. She-Goatee, and then follow up the argument by buying anyone at the bar who had been on my side a drink and offering the defiant prof a toast in her honor.

And yeah, if I was ever in a moment of heavy, weighting decisions, I'd go visit Cornelius at his pub.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2007, 01:18:14 am
as much as I love the concept on some weird abstract level...
ladies, remove your mustache if it is enough that you are Known for it. Same goes for goatees. Please, for all of us.

Also: do you think these women rationalize it in that, if they were men... they would grow a beard/mustache? Would they rebel against hair-removal if they were dudes?
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: linnea on May 26, 2007, 01:37:29 am
When they made the movie about Frida Kahlo with Salma Hayek, they deliberately avoided giving Frida a moustache. They said it would be "Too Distracting."

Bullshit. They were afraid of portraying a woman with errant facial hair as a sexual being. They were afraid. How stupid. Man, fuck society's patriarchal view of what women oughta be like.

colmore, you've got it. Kudos to you for your kickass realization. I mean... if someone gets all worked up about someone else's appearance, then they can just go toss off. Life is too goddamned short to worry about stupid shit like that. Come on, people.

I am also Sicilian/Irish but I have very little body hair. I have a couple stray eyebrow hairs that I pluck, but that's about it. I do shave the "usual and customary" areas, though.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2007, 04:37:50 am
I worked with a lady last year who had a fairly prominant 'stache. It was all I could look at for the first week but then I just didn't notice it anymore.

Here's the thing about female hairy-ness: Yeah you don't need to conform to societies crazy standards, in fact I would say that the standards of most people are substantially different to that of 'society' as depicted in mass media anyway. I'll be the first to say a more natural looking lady is far more fine than the kind that still has scaffolding around her face from when she put make up on this morning.
However. I do not consider facial hair on a lady to be a particularly positive feature (though it doesn't necessarily need to be a negative one) and I think treating growing hair on any part of your body as a political statement is downright bizzare.
As a corollary I don't think incredibly hairy guys is a good look either but this might be my own feelings of inadequacy because I am not particularly hairy.

Ron Jeremy was a sexual being with a hairy back and no one gave him no respect for bucking social expectations.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2007, 12:38:48 pm
Ron Jeremy was a sexual being with a hairy back and no one gave him no respect for bucking social expectations.

Well he did get a funny nickname out of it, but he has a monster cock and he's boned like 10,000 ladies so I'm guessing it doesn't bother him much.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Ruddy Ruddy on May 26, 2007, 07:36:45 pm
Every self-portrait I've ever seen of Frida Kahlo looks much more like Johnny Depp than Salma Hayek. He should have been the one to play her in the movie.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Doc on May 27, 2007, 03:32:05 am
He could do it too.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: side_show on May 27, 2007, 03:51:45 am
And would have been a lot sexier too.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jaydub on May 27, 2007, 05:50:28 am
Hard to imagine how to make this (http://www.mexico-travelnews.de/mexiko-blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/frida_kahlo_frau.jpg) sexier.

/gentle sarcasm off  ;)
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: linnea on May 27, 2007, 07:07:18 am
Hard to imagine how to make this (http://www.mexico-travelnews.de/mexiko-blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/frida_kahlo_frau.jpg) sexier.

/gentle sarcasm off  ;)

Johnny Depp is muy sexcelente. He could do just about anything and be awesome at it.

ALSO: I don't think I've seen that painting of Kahlo before. Jesus, that painting is intense. I can't imagine the pain and suffering she must have gone through after the accident and subsequent gazillion surgeries.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: jaydub on May 27, 2007, 10:59:37 pm
That was the painting I first saw of hers.  As a Freshman in college I decided that rather than take the usual "Introduction to Western Art" type general education class that I would fulfill the requirement by taking an actual Art course (Intro to Painting).  I didn't really realize at the time that it would be like a theatre arts oriented person taking Freshman Chemistry (one of our "weeding out courses" in the science colleges).  We were expected to fill several notebooks with sketches, images, ideas, whatever - there was at least 6 solid hours of work each week outside of class, and there was 6 hours per week of studio time.  Between this class and another ill-advised theory of mine, I almost ended up on academic probation in my first year of school.
Anyway, when we got to self-portraits, Kahlo was one of the exemplar artists.  My teacher, who was a photorealist, was absolutely rhapsodic about her work - about her ability to symbolize and illustrate her internal world.  Strong praise for a surrealist.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: theinevitable on May 27, 2007, 11:33:46 pm
I am proud that I realized that taking a Painting class was a horrible idea. Even though I wanted to.

A lot of kids dropped out of the art school into the general college this year. Oof.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 28, 2007, 03:54:34 am
Is this the first appearance of the Dude and Catastrophe outside of the blogs? Formerly, these had seemed to me to have been two semi-separate worlds - seperate in the sense that the subject matter of the blogs will be largely apart from the subject matter of the strip. Not entirely, but largely. Onstad seems to be bringing them together for the momentous event of Beef's engagement, between the hitherto unmentioned in strip D & C and Ray's account of Beef's dilemma in his blog.

Nice work, Onstad.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Doc on May 28, 2007, 09:49:44 am
I'm sure we've seen the logo before but now that I think about it that was on a t-shirt so possibly it is.
That said there has been stuff from the blogs referenced in the comic before. I think Cornelius' trip to russia was at some point.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 28, 2007, 03:35:30 pm
I'm sure we've seen the logo before but now that I think about it that was on a t-shirt so possibly it is.
That said there has been stuff from the blogs referenced in the comic before. I think Cornelius' trip to russia was at some point.

Indeed, his trip was mentioned. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05122005) I was thinking of Pat's television dinner, which mentions Pat and Rod. (http://peterhcropes.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html)
There was also the zine, which was the subject of one of Ray's blogs. (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-friend-made-sex-magazine-read-it.html) But,  except for this strip, (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12092004) zine strips were largely stand-alone and didn't tend to involve any arcs, like the Phillipe Times until quite recently.
 
But this has to be the most blog crossover for any arc. I don't believe we've ever had a blog that comments so directly on one of the topics at hand in the current arc, while introducing a prominent figure from the world of the blogs into the world of the strips.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 28, 2007, 05:45:22 pm
Lyle's trip to Scotland (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01182005) has also been mentioned in a comic.
Title: Re: may 25 2007 - The great indoor fight
Post by: Dullscythe on May 28, 2007, 11:56:21 pm
I do not object to ladybeards as a general rule. I only object to people who are ill-groomed. If a lady wishes to grow a goatee then I expect it to be a neatly groomed one and not a scruffy unkempt horror, which is too often what I witness on careless chins.