The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on May 25, 2007, 06:42:17 pm

Title: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2007, 06:42:17 pm
 Noooooooooooo. (http://idolator.com/tunes/advertising/today-in-repurposed-images-of-dead-celebrities-kurt-cobain-doc-marten+wearing-angel-261663.php?mail2=true)
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 25, 2007, 07:19:31 pm
I am more pissed 'bout the Strummer thing, but you know, it is lame either way.

Also, this reminds me of a story I heard a while ago were the singer of the Eels was asked to write a preface/intro/whatever for Cobain's "Journal".  He wrote something along the lines of "I hope you don't do this to me when I kill myself."  Needless to say, it was not used.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2007, 08:15:16 pm
for the record: this somehow snuck past the upper-level people at Doc Marten. They are hell of pissed, and fired the ad agency.

I mean, plus, he normally wore chucks (http://www.oneposter.com/UserData/Poster/Poster_16458_16914.jpg). you thought I was going to put that picture of just his Chucks when he was dead, didn't you you sick fuck!

PS in the picture I almost linked to, he had a gun in his mouth.

PPS I have that poster in my room.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: smick on May 25, 2007, 08:26:40 pm
I've told my special ladyfriend that if I ever attain any kind of societal note, never sell my likeness.   I couldn't bear this level of powdered up necrophilia.   I believe I was watching a KFC ad at the time, where they had an animated Sanders dancing the Cabbage Patch while singing, "GO COLONEL, GO COLONEL!"
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: side_show on May 25, 2007, 10:17:03 pm
I'm sorry smick, but your lady friend and I are already working on a line of stern, basic quality party stuffs to market to parents of poorly behaved children called "smick's choice" got after you pass. For the record it was her idea to animate your mouth as you say such catch phrases as "that's your sugar allotment for the day, buddy" and "you had a corner piece last year" and "oh, don't you dare complain about the vegan egg replacement product."  Personally, I found it a little off-putting, but she really digs it.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: jough on May 25, 2007, 10:21:20 pm
Not that anyone would want to use my likeness for anything, dead or alive, but I registered to be a face donor so someone could walk around looking like me after I've gone.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: linnea on May 26, 2007, 04:08:04 am
Wow. That is crazy. Can't say I'm surprised. Companies will stop at nothing to hawk their goods, and flogging a dead hoss is not beneath them.

Is it some kind of lame joke that the Doc sturdiness will protect your toes even after you kick the bucket? what the fuck are they trying to say here?
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2007, 04:22:09 am
What they are trying to say is that they have no goddamn class and they are totally sick of how popular their product is so they're going to piss off as many people as possible.
And surely their estates must have agreed to this shit too? What the hell Kurt Kobain's estate? Are all the terrible fuck*ng t-shirts not enough?
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2007, 04:23:53 am
Fuck Kurt Cobain.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2007, 04:49:30 am
Seriously.  I mean it. 

Fuck fuck*ng Kurt Cobain.

Do you know what Kurt Cobain represents to me?

Kurt Cobain is when rock music changed from being about screaming to being about whining.

Seriously.  Fuck that. 
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2007, 05:13:29 am
Kurt looks so peaceful sittin' up there on that cloud.  I love it.

Me, i'm not going to die.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2007, 05:15:02 am
Me, i'm not going to die.

I am 100% in favor of that.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Doc on May 26, 2007, 06:47:19 am
If I had to meet Kurt Cobaine I don't think I'd want to die either.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 26, 2007, 09:19:27 am
Seriously.  I mean it. 

Fuck fuck*ng Kurt Cobain.

Do you know what Kurt Cobain represents to me?

Kurt Cobain is when rock music changed from being about screaming to being about whining.

Seriously.  Fuck that. 

Dig.  I fell the same about the Smashing Pumpkins, but didn't want to shit on everyones parade in the other thread.  It was real tempting though, which is why I am doing it now.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2007, 12:13:15 pm
I don't know, I really loved Nirvana's music a great deal, but yeah for sure he sure spawned a double assload of really really really crappy imitators. 
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2007, 06:26:40 pm
I love the fuck out of Kurt Cobain. he is probably my favorite (artistic/musical) person of all time.

that is all.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 26, 2007, 08:33:53 pm
I love the fuck out of Kurt Cobain. he is probably my favorite (artistic/musical) person of all time.

that is all.

That's just sad.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2007, 10:37:52 pm
sorry that I disappointed you.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 28, 2007, 04:04:09 am
I don't know, I really loved Nirvana's music a great deal, but yeah for sure he sure spawned a double assload of really really really crappy imitators. 

That's the problem with everyone. Sure, they were awesome, but they're responsible for xyz imitators that couldn't live up to them. Like Achewood and xkcd and Penny Arcade and the PBF are responsible for all the shitty webcomics out there.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 28, 2007, 06:19:33 am
Quote
Kurt Cobain is when rock music changed from being about screaming to being about whining.

When was rock music "about" screaming? did I miss something?
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 28, 2007, 03:38:31 pm
Don't ask me, I thought music was for the fuck*ng.

CAN'D for being extremely right.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Nabubrush on May 30, 2007, 02:46:33 am
Fuck it, if y'all can make a nickel off my poor, exploited corpse, be my guest. I'm just waiting for the Kurdt Cobain Mossberg ads to come out.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 30, 2007, 03:23:45 am
Fuck it, if y'all can make a nickel off my poor, exploited corpse, be my guest. I'm just waiting for the Kurdt Cobain Mossberg ads to come out.

Inev, based upon this comment I can only hope that you are no longer mad at me for ranking on Kurt Cobain. 

Nabu, that's worth two cans.

I guess I should take this opportunity to apologize. 

I'm sorry that your favorite artist sucks.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: smick on May 30, 2007, 03:39:08 am
"oh, don't you dare complain about the vegan egg replacement product."  Personally, I found it a little off-putting, but she really digs it.

That just shows how much she understands me.   If there's one thing I can't brook, is someone complaining about the Ener-G Egg Replacer that I use.  I have the look of a man whom what brooks no egg replacer complaints.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2007, 04:11:29 am
I mean... i wasn't mad? Just not sure how to respond to "That's sad."

Also, I am genuinely curious about when "rock music was about screaming." The 80's? Hardcore punk? It seems like... if Rock can be "about" something, and that something can be something that isn't going on at all in the mainstream... then it certainly isn't about whining now?

And if just introducing it is what matters (since being mainstream/popular is not the criteria), then there are certainly others to blame for the whining?

plus, Kurt Cobain is still my favorite. Sorry, true.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: linnea on May 30, 2007, 05:45:40 am
I mean... i wasn't mad? Just not sure how to respond to "That's sad."

Also, I am genuinely curious about when "rock music was about screaming." The 80's? Hardcore punk? It seems like... if Rock can be "about" something, and that something can be something that isn't going on at all in the mainstream... then it certainly isn't about whining now?

And if just introducing it is what matters (since being mainstream/popular is not the criteria), then there are certainly others to blame for the whining?

plus, Kurt Cobain is still my favorite. Sorry, true.

I gave you a tiny can for sticking to your guns although some people disparaged you for it.
I liked Cobain back when he was still alive, In Utero was one of the first albums I bought. I remember one of my crazy ass friends carving his dates of birth and death into her arm when he died. Yeah...nobody's really sure what happened to her. I'm afraid to think that she's probably a.) dead or b.) in jail.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Nabubrush on May 30, 2007, 06:02:39 am
In Utero was one of the first albums I bought.

Hi there. My name's Nabu, and I was around when they invented gravel.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: side_show on May 30, 2007, 01:24:41 pm
Yeah... I liked Nirvana.  They defined my generation, yet they really speak to me of a time, and aren't something I want to revisit.  There isn't a single grunge band that I want to hear anymore.  The trend had a time and a place for me that was so right at the time but is gone.  Totally gone.  Like all my flannel shirts, like my worn out Doc Martins, I have nostalgia, but no need to go back.  I always thought the guys in my school who were into Zeppelin were cool, but mysterious.  I didn't really "get" why they were into something from way back when... I suppose this is a little like how the Nev is seen to his peers?  I wonder how liking a band after they wont ever make any more music effects the experience?  It's totally different to be the fan of a band while they're producing and performing - there's all that time between albums to let things really sink in, there's the cultural phenomenon of their work and how it reflects the time and place it's created in, but then there's not the benefit of looking at all their work at once, and the perspective that that brings.  I only have two artists on my iPod that aren't currently making music.  I wonder what that says about me?
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: slink on May 30, 2007, 03:43:26 pm
I'm kind of with you on that, Smells. I loved Nirvana, although was annoyed by Incesticide and so didn't listen to In Utero until quite late on, thanks to a friend. But I just don't listen to them anymore. I still love them, but there's other stuff I'd rather hear.
There are bands who were kind of considered part of the same scene I do listen to now and then like Soungarden or Screaming Trees. Same thing as happened with Nirvana kind of happened with Alice in Chains as well, though I'll listen to Mad Season.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2007, 05:01:36 pm
the vast, vast majority of musicians I like do not make music any more. So sad. I got really excited when I realized that the radio station I work at had a copy of the new Dinosaur Jr album... but I got really disappointed with the first song and never finished it.

I don't know... it's OK. There's so much music in the history of the world, nevermind just Rock music. Then, you have to take into account that I am really slow about listening to new albums... and you realize that to me, "No Depression" is basically a new album, even though it came out when I was two years old.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: wombat on May 30, 2007, 05:26:48 pm
I wonder how liking a band after they wont ever make any more music effects the experience? 

There's actually one thing that's better about it - you never have the experience of looking forward to their next album so hard and then when it comes out, finding out that you don't like it.  Live musicians, with their pesky creative freedom, can always decide to do something totally different that you don't care for. Dead (or broken-up) musicians are, like, frozen in their perfection. 
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: linnea on May 30, 2007, 08:26:40 pm
Hi there. My name's Nabu, and I was around when they invented gravel.
Jesus, dude! I'm 28, you're not that much older than me.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2007, 09:44:27 pm
I, on the other hand, am 19. OLDSTERS!
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: side_show on May 30, 2007, 09:45:55 pm
Oh, wait, linnea you and I are the same age!  But you made me feel old!  At my school by the time In Utero came out Nirvana were sort of yesterday's news.  I just imagined that if In Utero was the first album you ever bought that you were much younger.  I'm sort a shocked, as I was buying albums at around the age of 11 or 12... during that horrible period of music when things were mostly just really baaaaad.  Like Roxette bad.  Like Madonna True Blue bad.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Nabubrush on May 30, 2007, 10:35:18 pm
Jesus, dude! I'm 28, you're not that much older than me.

My first 45 - 45! - was John Lennon's Watching the Wheels. I love that song still.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 31, 2007, 01:35:17 am
I, on the other hand, am 19. OLDSTERS!

GIT OFF'N MY LAWN!!!
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 31, 2007, 01:36:21 am
My first 45 - 45! - was John Lennon's Watching the Wheels. I love that song still.

Don McLean -- American Pie. 
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 31, 2007, 02:46:32 am
I first album I bought was Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits.

I was 13.

I am 22.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Golfhaus on May 31, 2007, 02:54:01 am
The first piece of music I bought was the cassette single of George Harrison's "I Got My Mind Set on You."

The first CDs I got were the initial 8 for a Columbia House subscription. The only two I remember being a part of that were AC/DC's Back in Black and The Razor's Edge.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: smick on May 31, 2007, 03:31:14 am
The first cassette I purchased was the TMNT Motion Picture Soundtrack.

I bought it the same day I purchased William Gibson's Neuromancer in paperback.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: jaydub on May 31, 2007, 03:37:01 am
First CD for me was Joshua Tree.  The first cassette I paid for was Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith.  There were a few five-finger discounts before that one, and I think the first one I was ever given was either the Muppet Movie Soundtrack or Fantasia.  I don't remember the first vinyl I ever owned, it was probably one of those ones you could tear out of a book and play like a 45.  I remember an ABBA LP that I think my parents handed down to me so I could have something "grown up" to play.  Fernando?  Some things are probably better forgotten.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 31, 2007, 03:59:46 am
I don't remember my first record or cassette...

But Use Your Illusion 2 was my first CD.

I am. That awesome.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: AugustWest on May 31, 2007, 04:03:20 am
I don't remember my first record or cassette...

But Use Your Illusion 2 was my first CD.

I am. That awesome.

First CD?  REM Out of Time, bought when I bought my first CD player. 

Dang.  I just came to the startling realization that I've had children longer than I've had a CD player.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: linnea on May 31, 2007, 04:32:01 am
The first cassette I purchased was the TMNT Motion Picture Soundtrack.

I bought it the same day I purchased William Gibson's Neuromancer in paperback.

I love William Gibson.

That is all.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: theinevitable on May 31, 2007, 05:14:59 am
crazy. The CD player in my room is my parent's first CD player. It is huge.

My first CD was probably... Smash Mouth.

The first LP I bought was Led Zeppelin IV, used. For, I think, 4 dollars.
First 45-- Kodan Armada/What's Yr Damage split.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Nabubrush on June 01, 2007, 12:09:28 am
I don't remember my first record or cassette...

But Use Your Illusion 2 was my first CD.

I am. That awesome.

You didn't do very well on the "A is to B as X is to ?" section of the SAT, did you?

My first three CDs were Houses of the Holy, Strange Days, and Dark Side of the Moon, purchased in '84 or so. I was an early adopter.

That's how high I used to get on a routine basis.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: pmcd9 on June 01, 2007, 02:07:41 am
My first cylinder was Edison reading Mary Had a Little Lamb.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: side_show on June 01, 2007, 01:08:45 pm
Jimmy crack-corn and I don't care
Jimmy crack-corn and I don't care
Jimmy crack-corn and I don't caaaaare!
My masters gone away!


My first exposure to records was that song on a kids portable record player with those damn reddish-pink kids record singles. Listened to it a jillion times. Maybe that explains some things...

I had a little record player like that - giraffeer Price I think.  I remember they had a song & book collection.  The only one I distinctly remember was "One little, two little, three little Indians..."  I had no idea how inappropriate it was, I just sat there, proud I could count and such.  Also, that little record player made an excellent stepping stool.  I remember it allowed me to reach the cookie jar on the back of the counter back in the day.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: smick on June 04, 2007, 08:45:09 am
Are we talking the one with the hard plastic disks with bumps in the grooves as such "so as to strike the tuned teeth of a steel comb"?

I too grew along side one of those.  It kicked out the party jams.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 05, 2007, 09:10:37 pm
First vinyl record:  ELO's Greatest Hits.  gaaaack
First CD:  The Cure, "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me."  GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: Nabubrush on June 05, 2007, 10:38:45 pm
First vinyl record:  ELO's Greatest Hits.  gaaaack
First CD:  The Cure, "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me."  GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Boo to self-hate. Be proud of where you came from.

Of course, I've never listed to such absolute shit, but as long as you were a happy little tyke.
Title: Re: Kurt Cobain sells Doc's
Post by: wombat on June 05, 2007, 11:39:06 pm
My first cylinder was Edison reading Mary Had a Little Lamb.

My mom threw that one out after I left for college! Don't you hate it when your parents do that?