The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on May 26, 2007, 11:52:04 am

Title: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 26, 2007, 11:52:04 am
The Kentucky Derby may have Mint Juleps and a hint of dignity, but it has nothing as cool as this. (http://deadspin.com/sports/preakness/wed-classify-this-as-a-waste-of-beer-262456.php)


And yeah, I realize that all the races get pretty crazy (http://www.derbypost.com/hunter.html), but there is a way that Baltimore people can just out low class anyone (alright, well arguably Philly could have them beat) when it comes to sports that makes this video so awesome.  I mean, you wouldn't even get this in a NASCAR race in Northern Florida.

Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2007, 12:43:36 pm
Classy.  I guess that the audience for NASCAR and hoss racing isn't that far removed from one another.  This sure shatters any myth that may exist of hoss Racing being a genteel sport.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: theinevitable on May 26, 2007, 06:24:05 pm
a guy who was on my cross country team's family hosted the Charlotte Steeplechase (maybe it was actually called The Queen's Cup Steeplechase?) every year. His backyard.... was a racetrack.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: AugustWest on May 29, 2007, 03:51:28 am
The Preakness?  Meh. (http://www.derbypost.com/hunter.html)
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 29, 2007, 05:46:54 am
The Preakness?  Meh. (http://www.derbypost.com/hunter.html)


And yeah, I realize that all the races get pretty crazy (http://www.derbypost.com/hunter.html)

The Kentucky Derby seems like a grand sociological experiment (well, based on that HST article, mainly).  The Preakness seems like a huge party, with a hoss (edit:  hey, this was a typo, but it makes sense) race.

Also, I had read that article probably a year ago, and put it in just because I thought you might respond about how awesome the home town race is, I had no idea you would respond with the article.  Honestly, I am just jealous of anyone with easy access to the triple crown races, and I am not even a gambler.  Just a Sociology/ History student who likes to party and learn about fucked up things/ people.

Edit 2:  I just learned the first (maybe after they changed lengths?) Kentucky Derby jockey winner was an African American.  I don't know why that is important or whatever, but I found it interesting, being Kentucky and all.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: pmcd9 on May 29, 2007, 02:18:23 pm
Is HST meant to be taken seriously?
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: jaydub on May 29, 2007, 04:22:33 pm
About as seriously as a shot with a beer back while coming down off a weekend mescaline trip.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 29, 2007, 05:11:57 pm
Quote from: jaydub
About as seriously as a shot with a beer back while coming down off a weekend mescaline trip.

In other words, deadly serious?
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: theinevitable on May 29, 2007, 08:38:29 pm
... is it really like that? I am both attracted and repelled. I think going to the Derby would get me off of this whole thing where I love rich southern people.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 29, 2007, 09:59:16 pm
Well, he has his interpretation.  Also, when he is lying it is usually obvious just to make the article/ book more fun.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: AugustWest on May 30, 2007, 03:19:34 am
... is it really like that? I am both attracted and repelled. I think going to the Derby would get me off of this whole thing where I love rich southern people.

Yes and no.  The Derby isn't just rich people and it isn't just southern people.  The infield is the cheap seats where the younger/harder core element parties.  The grandstand is the median.  In the clubhouse, the sky is the limit.  Queen Elizabeth was here this year.  Sheesh.

Is it drunken debauchery, even 30 years after HST's article?  Abso-fuck*ng-lutely.  You should come.  You should all come.
Title: Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
Post by: theinevitable on May 30, 2007, 04:15:27 am
A-SO:"Preakness" is just a hideous word. It has the same effect on me of fake cutesy words such as the title "Wee-Sing" for a series of children sing-along tapes... that is, it makes my skin crawl.

I wish I were exaggerating.

See also:
"Blinkies"
Folksonomy
any euphemism for genitals or bodily functions used by children/parents